Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Y'all should move onto Ruby. Too bad the Ruby thread is also dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

vote_no posted:

The main advantage I find for perl and why I’m always reaching for it is that it’s installed on almost everything.
I don't know if that's going to be the case indefinitely. I'm somewhat surprised that Perl hasn't been excised from Debian essential in favor or Python, but there's probably some scripts from the early 00s that debconf still makes use of or something. Certainly new stuff tends not to make Perl an essential dependency. Chrome OS ships with Python but not Perl, for example. But new stuff tends to not be for general-purpose computing.

vote_no posted:

If I have a system that has (or can have) ruby on it, why wouldn’t I use python or C++?
Well Ruby is a better language than Python for one, certainly so as a Perl replacement. C++ isn't a scripting language.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Ruby probably isn't better than Snek for its objective--I don't think it would run in 2 kB RAM.

Python wasn't a bad choice to base Snek on. It is a relatively small language. I'm kind of surprised they didn't just roll with Lua and call it a day, but Lua is weird too.