Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
In 1997 I got my first digital camera. I also discovered ImageMagick and perl that year, and so I built a basic image processor out of perl and Image::Magick to automate managing my photo folders of JPEGs and generating thumbnails and HTML catalog views I could view in Netscape.

Almost 30 years later I still use and tinker with this system, but now it lives on a server on my network and manages a photo collection of 400,000 images I've taken in the decades since. It handles archiving and metadata for all my terabytes of raw source files, version control for edited 16-bit wide-gamut JPEG2K master versions (from Photoshop and Lightroom), and still after all these years it uses the ever-dependable Image::Magick to export a variety of viewing and sharing versions of the masters in standard formats and color spaces. It's all glued together with watch folder automation.

I still consider it a perl project though in recent years a couple of heretical python plugins have crept in to use some AI models for auto-generating keyword search terms and image descriptions, recognizing people and tagging features and regions of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU