Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Link to 2019 thread

Post your 2020iest goals u got. Big goals, little goals, non-financial goals, whatever. Humblebragging about achieving your goals is encouraged. Please post your goals even if you think they are excessively modest. I am worried that threads have recently turned in to high earners just making big goals and intimidating others. :justpost:

New for 2020:
:911: - 401(k) limits increase, make sure you adjust accordingly if you desire

KGJr goals:
2020 Financial:
Max 401k
Max IRA
Max wife IRA
Wife get new job
Move to new city
Rebudget at that point and make some new goals - for now i'm going to put non-retirement savings goals on hold since i don't know what is reasonable

2020 Nonfinancial:
Ski more than value of season pass ($700)
Exercise 3x/week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The theme for 2020 is Getting Back On Track. 2018 and 2019 were a bit rough from a financial perspective (new vehicle lease, new home purchase, inability to actually save much outside of 401ks).

1. No new consumer debt. Shouldn't be too hard, but this will remain the main goal for 2020 to avoid getting into a worse position.
2. Get emergency fund back to $10k. Currently at $8k after using some of my extra December paycheck. Ultimate goal is $15k, but $10k is more realistic for 2020.
3. Student loan down to $5000. Currently at $7400 and some change, this will require a bit extra each month above my minimum payment, but my main goal is to have this paid off before my 40th birthday in November 2021.
4. Pay cash for Ireland. Taking my mom on her bucket list trip to Ireland in May. I paid for all flights and some hotels with points, and should have $3k cash before we leave, should be plenty.
5. Begin saving up for my next car. My lease is up in May 2021, so I've got time but need to start putting money aside for this.
6. Stretch: earn side income. Need to brainstorm on this one, but it'd be great to diversify my income a bit.

Non Financial Goals
1. Build a network. I've lived here for just over two years, and I don't know anyone outside of my work. Not good for my social life.
2. Run 750 miles. I basically took 2019 off from serious running, so I'm looking forward to working towards some of my longer term goals with running.
3. Organize the drat bonus room. We paid a lot of money for it and it's currently being used for storage. I want my space!
4. Read 20 books.
5. Go to the gym 2x per week.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

This is my first time participating in one of these threads, so I’m pretty excited about this. The last couple of years were pretty transitional for me. I quit my job and went back to school in 2018, graduated last January, and got a new job in March making a decent amount more than I had at my previous job. A lot of 2019 was centered around rebuilding my emergency funds and figuring out my new financial situation. I want 2020 to be about finishing out some of the things from last year, and then building on what I already have. So on that note, here are my goals:

Financial Goals

1. Get house emergency fund to $10,000 by April
I’m currently at $7852. I own my home, so I would like to $10k in reserves in case anything goes sideways. Gave myself a little wiggle room on time for this one.

2. Get personal emergency fund to $15,000 by July
I’m currently at $10,803. Same as above, a little wiggle room on this one. My company may being getting bought, so I’m a little nervous about getting laid off even though my boss says I shouldn’t be. Whatevs, at least I’ll have an emergency fund if I do.

3. Fully fund Roth IRA by October 30

4. Contribute at least $5000 to 401(k) by EOY
Currently contributing 6%, my plan is to up this to 9% in August once I have my emergency funds filled out which should put me over the $5000 mark.

5. Get HSA to $1000 by EOY
This is something that is available to me starting Jan. 1, I’m currently at $0. I can start investing my contributions once they hit $1,000, so my goal is to get to at least that this year so I can start getting those sick gainz, yo. (Or losses, or whatever).

Non-Financial Goals

1. Stop eating out so drat much
Pretty self explanatory, I eat out or get takeout too much. Definitely need to curtail that, both for financial health and actual health.

2. Do yoga 5 days a week
My new job is mostly sitting, so I want to start doing more stretches to try and counteract all the sitting.

3. Join a bouldering gym once I’m more in shape
This is tied a bit to the yoga goal; I’m worried I’m not in good enough shape/stretchy enough to do this without hurting myself, so I’m gonna work up to it. I went with a friend last year when I was in better shape and had a lot of fun.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Been wanting to participate in something like this for a while now but my financial discipline vs. my ex-wifes was very different. We split last April and at first I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to survive but after I got through the despair of separation and poo poo and planned out my future I was actually kind of excited for the financial freedom. I’ve always been the budgeter and she always spent freely. Over the past 10 years I’d created many budgets, then would fall off the wagon so to speak when she went on a spending spree and would set us back months, and I’d just give up and spend freely too. Once it got to the point where we couldn’t pay our bills, I’d put us back on budget and that cycle continued for years. Now I’ve been on my own and following my budget rigorously and have already achieved some good strong goals at the end of 2019. From September to now I’ve paid off my car ($2,800), put a dent in my $8,000 maxed credit card (at $7,500 now), and have a small emergency fund ($2,000). All this while being an engineering student with 2 kids and a household full of bills. So I’m pretty proud of that.

2020 Goals in order of importance

1. Ensure I have enough cash on hand to bridge from my diploma into an engineering degree program:
- $4,000 in mid-July for the course tuition
- another $5,000 or so by September for household bills from Sept – Dec

2. Pay off all non-student debt:
- $7,500 credit card
- $1,800 consumer loan (currently interest free, but begins 19% interest on Jan 3 of 2021 I think)
- $225 phone tab (this one is permanently interest free but it’s small enough that I want it lumped in so I can call myself “debt-free”)

3. Switch up my vehicles without taking on new debt (doing this one in January, just need to make sure it doesn’t impact #1 and #2 above):
- sell my Civic ($6-$7,000), buy a 4runner ($9,000)
- buy a project rally car from a club mate ($2,500)

Non-financial:
1. Bridge from my diploma to the degree program (I’m making assumptions here that I’ll succeed in the bridge but it’s not guaranteed. I know my grades are good enough, but I do have to pass an interview to be admitted, and the the bridge program itself is pretty brutal apparently but I think I can swing it)

If all goes as planned, I’ll be entering 2021 with only student debt and 2 years of school left. I’ll have a small emergency fund and a $8,000 limit CC as an extra emergency backup. I have a 3 year budget planned out by the day so this year is only part 1 of that, but it’s the most tenuous of them all. By the end of the plan I’ll be graduating with a B.Eng. and maybe $30k in student debt, plus ~$10k in savings if I did well. I'm excited.

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 31, 2019

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I looked through my post history, and it looks like this is year four of participating! Neat.

2020 Goals

1. Increase net worth from 173k to 205k.

Breaking the 200k barrier would be cool, and based on last year's growth this should be doable. I would have done a slightly higher goal, but there are a few other variables in play that I will get to!

2. Increase emergency fund from 12k to 14k.

I have at least four month's basic expenses covered here as of today, just continuing to build.

3. Contribute $3.1k to Roth IRA.

Autopilot goal. I am planning to pull some of the Roth balance to cover closing costs if I buy a house.

4a. If I don't buy a house, raise House Fund from 36.5k to 52k.

4b. If I do buy a house, put at least 15% down.

Unfortunately, where I live, housing prices suck. I'll probably start looking a little more seriously in the spring. I have a good deal rent-wise, so I'm in no rush. The bummer is that housing prices keep going up at about the rate I am able to save.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
I tried joining in mid 2018, but gave up after a month or so. So this year I hope to contribute more.

DrNewton 2020 Financial Goals

First Goal: Get my Student Loan Debt under 8.5K
Currently at: 11,890.82

Secound Goal: Focus on Monthly Goals
January Goal: Update YNAB everyday single day.

Comments
I want to start off with the fact that I make around 10K to 15K a year, give or take. However in 2019 I started to work jobs that allow me a little extra more in income.

As someone who grew up with that spot of not poor but not working class either, having this new income with extra cash in my pocket was exciting and I may gotten a little too excited and made some bad choices. I had my fun, time to go back to my roots.

Goal 1:
I have been paying $250 a month since October which would be 3K a year.
However with daily interest, around 600 - 700 a year is interest alone.
So I want to focus on getting any and all extra income towards paying it off.
My long term goal is to get completely paid off by the end of 2022.
The sooner, the better is what I say.
This will not be an easy task, unless I bust my butt this year, so wish me luck!

Goal 2:
I have fallen off the wagon a bit. Plus I was never the best at keeping it updated, and some months of nearly not updating caused a lot of headache and missed transactions. I refused to refresh the budget because I started taking YNAB more seriously in March 2018 when I moved back home. The reports are showing progress of my growth as an adult, and I don't want to lose it.

My aim by updating everyday is to keep me in check of my goals. Especially if I want to get my own place, and tackle that student loan debt.

Wish me luck!
DrNewton

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
2020 Goals
Financial:
- Max Roth 401k (yearlong)
- Max Roth IRA (Jan)
- Max HSA (Jan)
- Max husband 401k (Dec)
- Max husband Roth IRA (Jan)
- Max husband HSA (Jan)
- Rebalance (Jan)
- Get 1 year expenses in cash set up
- Annual budget updated
- Do tax plan for 2020 (April)
- Move husband's HSA over to Fidelity
- Call IRS to sort out tax snafu (accidentally paid on my SSN, not my husbands)
- Make quarterly payments (set up on google calendar so I don't forget)
- Finish estate planning details (physical items will, bank TOD accounts, Vanguard TOD account, check all beneficiaries)
- Update and keep updating gratitude journal for discretionary purchases
- Buy a piano
- Have yearly lookback and look forward conversation with husband
- Study rear end off for CFP exam in July, hopefully pass
- Finish CFP coursework program

Non-Financial:
- Get a regular date night set up
- Keep exercising zumba 3x/week
- Read 1 book a week
- Clean up front yard (buy shed for toy storage)
- Plant new garden in raised beds
- Remove stupid liquidamber tree from front yard
- Start volunteering at library (Feb)
- Keep daily one line journal
- Finish my novel

I'm sure I'll add more to the list as I think of it. Bah everything, just bah. Maybe next year will be better.

moana fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 27, 2020

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

DrNewton posted:

My aim by updating everyday is to keep me in check of my goals. Especially if I want to get my own place, and tackle that student loan debt.

Wish me luck!
DrNewton
Good luck! What job are you in right now, and what is your next step up?

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

moana posted:

Good luck! What job are you in right now, and what is your next step up?

I work in a bookstore in the wintertime and in the summer time I work in film. Both are super fun jobs but somehow extremely soul crushing. The only difference is one pays a lot better.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’ll bite.

2020 Financial Goals

1. Keep zero balance on my credit cards. Last year I think I paid about £200 in interest payments, and that’s totally wasted money.

2. Try (this’ll be hard) to put aside £100 a month, split 50/50 into long term savings and short term savings. That way I’ve got rainy day money, and a long term growth pot.

3. Stop buying god drat lunch from shops in town. I waste £3/4 a day when I do that, when I’ve got things to make it at home. I’ll allow myself a once a mont treat, if I meeting a friend for lunch.

2020 Personal Goals

1. Keep up doing weights 3 times a week. I’ve started to see progress over the past 4 months, and I’d really like this to continue.

2. Redecorate two rooms in our house, without impacting goal #1 above.

3. Be a nice person to be around, I know I’m a poo poo sometimes, and my wife chose to be with me. So it’s probably a good idea to make her realise she made a good decision.

3. Be a better dad. As #3, I fail all the time with my kids.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
2020 goals: have a income

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
2019 achieves

- Got through the year without any consumer debt
- Stocks and Shares ISA from £0 to £4k
- Net Worth increased from £75k to £100k

2020 finance goals

- Still no consumer debt
- Grow pension pot from £83k to £95k
- Grow S&S ISA from £4k to £8k
- Increase NW from £100k to £125k

2020 Personal goals
- Lose weight, fatty (I have always been skinny but am now 208lbs, target #1 is to get back to 200 and then convert fat to muscle)
- Run at least twice a week, doing 10k/week by end of Q1
- Have -some- fun whilst I am still relatively young. Last year was great for my bank balance but we never took a holiday away for longer than 4 days. Use some short term savings to have a 2 week break somewhere like South Africa or New Zealand

Caveat: I might buy a house this year in which case all bets are off fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkk :grovertoot:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
2020 Goals:

Current State
- Wife's student loans: 65k left at 1.9%
- My student loans: 180k, eligible for PSLF in 3.5 years
- 1 car loan, 22k @ 3%
- Mortgage on a 15 year fixed at 3%, 89% to go
- Emergency Fund Funded.

Financial Goals for 2020
- Pay off my wife's student loan ASAP with savings (separate from emergency fund): should be done by February.
- Pay off car loan ASAP
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k Done
- Put at least $6k/month in to a taxable account.
- Save money for our next car
- Continue maxing out our 401ks/457s - On autopilot
- Continue maxing out our HSA - On autopilot
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
The last time I did this was 2017, we've mostly been following the various BFC and /r/PersonalFinance wisdom since 2015 or so, which took us from -68K in debt to where we are now. Thanks everyone! I was really worried about merging my finances in 2019 with my wife but as we both dug deeper in to our stuff and merged into various joint accounts we realized we had the same priorities so everything was fine.

2020 Goals

Current savings:
-50K liquid emergency fund
-40K liquid rolling budget for next 3 months
*We do the whole YNAB "today's money into the future" and we're happy to leave it at three months and budget any overflow on our savings goals
-5K vacation fund
-7K misc. savings (car, computer, dog funds)
-5K house downpayment fund
-107K total

Current debts:
-None

Net worth:
-360K in various retirement vehicles (401Ks, IRAs, HSAs)

Overall income:
-Me: 170K/yr + 50K bonus
-Wife: 85K/yr

Financial Plan:
- (Q1, Q2) Max my/wife 401ks
- (Q1) Max my/wife IRAs
- (Q2) Get net worth to 400K
*Planning to accomplish this with either market appreciation or my Q1 bonus if the market shits the bed
- (Q4) Max family HSA
*Runs all year due to the way company matches
- (Q4) Keep building house downpayment to 100K
*Currently 5K but we just started saving, high COL area
- (All Year) Maintain 6mo (50K) Emergency Fund

Other:
- Do not make a baby, do that next year
- Look into a backdoor ROTH
- Look into a new job for 2021
*My current job is great and very stable, but they are starting to cut raises to 1-2%/yr which has me concerned about my long term earning potential (I am in my mid 30s), I also have some stock vesting in 2021 and 2022 so I might need to hang around for that depending on what's out there. Our IT job market is so competitive some employers have been offering sign-on bonuses to replace the lost stock.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Financial Goals 2020:

1) My daughter is due in March. Decrease spending by $1000 in January, $1,500 ($500 extra beyond January) in February, to ensure that I have enough cash flow to cover the obscene costs of raising a kid.

1A) To accomplish (1), reduce eating out to 1X per month in January and February, total expenditure for couple not to exceed $50 per time (roughly the cost of two people going to a diner and getting a burger + fries where I live).

1B) To accomplish (1), reduce at-work cafeteria by 75%. Currently, I eat breakfast at the cafeteria 3-4 days per week and lunch 3-5 (less if there's a lunch meeting that steals my lunch hour, more if there isn't). Reduce to cafeteria 1X Breakfast, 1X Lunch per week.

2) Post-baby, maintain the expenditure levels for eating out and work food at their reduced levels through at least June, under the expectation that the baby will cost at least $1,500 per month. (Thank god I don't need daycare. Holy gently caress it's expensive.)

3) Post-baby, update this thread monthly with spending trends for accountability. Once baby expenses are established during the first three months, re-visit thread in June with appropriate second-half goals.

4) Under no circumstances touch any of my retirement contribution percentages. They stay maxed.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
This is going to be a complicated year. Contribution limits all over the place, getting married, beneficiary IRA RMDs start this year, fiancée wants to buy a bigger house than I currently own, and she's applied to nursing school so there will be tuition bills to figure out how to pay for. That means I'm also taking on her car payment, medical debt, and existing student loans for her LPN program. Hooray!

Goals:
Max 4.5% contribution to work 401(k).
15% into a 409(a) account to make up for no Roth and limited 401(k).
Max HSA contribution.
$500 a month into Vanguard brokerage account invested in index funds (VOO).
$1000 a month into a wedding savings account. Shooting for $12k by September for a small elopement, 2 "receptions" in each of our home states, and honeymoon expenses not covered by airline miles and hotel points.

Stretch goals:
Pay down her shitbox Jeep and get her into a used CRV or RAV-4 instead.
Pay off her existing student loans (~$10k as far as I know of).
Spend $4-$5k on improvements to current home to make it easier to sell later this year or early next year.

I really want to wait a few more years to sell and move so we have a better idea of where the best nursing jobs will be available for her before we lock into a house only to find out her dream nursing job is an hour commute each way. I don't know if she will go for that though. Hopefully spending a little bit of money on easy projects (replace shaggy carpet with laminate flooring, some paint and trim, a few new light fixtures) will make it more home-y for her, and easier for me to sell in a couple years.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Me last year posted:

2019 Goals:

Keep tracking; stick to budget as best we can. Am learning year after year that this is hard to predict, but with enough wiggle room it ends up alright.
Bump IRA contributions to the new limit, increase brokerage auto-contributions by 17%
Figure out if/where I can move my SEP account since Ameriprise sucks. It's hard to find info online about SEPs if you're an employee, not company owner.

Stretch goal: Maybe actually do that master bath remodel this time. I've only been talking about it for 5 years. Tub, floor, cabinets/countertop.

Check, check, nope, nope.
We went over budget in "pets" again, because my dumbass dog went and got himself liver cancer. Tumor's gone, he's fine now, $5000 later. Went a tiny bit over in personal care, medical, and hobbies. But we were under budget in plenty of other things, so really it's just the Pets that was substantial.
Apparently the company did so lovely in 2018 that we didn't get SEP contributions for 2019. I didn't bother moving the SEP anywhere, though I'm still interested, just lazy.
Didn't do the bathroom remodel yet, but we're making more concrete plans, and actually have a dedicated savings/budget for it now. MAYBE IT WILL HAPPEN THIS YEAR??
I'm pretty proud of our spending for the year. Within $300, we spent almost exactly the same amount of money as we put away for retirement (across IRAs and brokerage - neither of us have an option for a 401k). We also hired a house cleaner to come once a month which I think is going to be a huge weight off my shoulders. I'll probably look at a lawn care crew as well for 2020.

2020 goals:
Budget and track spending
Max the IRAs
Keep contributing to the brokerage (at the same rate) [gently caress it, let's up it just a little bit!]
Keep the house cleaner and hire a lawn company.
At the end of the year, subtract all "spending" (including IRA/brokerage contributions) from our take-home income for the year. Then use that amount for a guilt-free house renovation project at the start of 2021. Popcorn ceiling removal? New flooring? Kitchen remodel??? (Streeeeeeeeetch goal; gently caress - kitchens are expensive)

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 6, 2020

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA
  • 50/month into kids' 529s
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Transfer my final prior employer 401k into Vanguard
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy. We said it last year, and we'll say it again and hopefully we'll actually do it - NO MORE EXCUSES!
  • Plan a family Disney trip and save appropriately. Our kids are getting to that age where a Disney trip becomes inevitable (also, it'll be crazy fun)

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month. I did this last year and liked it, so I'm going to keep it up
  • Make a piece of software that is mine. Another NO EXCUSES goal that I always have but only actually did one time in 2015
  • Clean up the basement. Yet another NO EXCUSES goal
  • Help my wife clean the house one night a week
  • Keep good sleep habits. I suck at sleeping

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 3, 2020

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
2020 Financial Goals

- Increase cash/emergency fund to $38,000

- Fully fund both mine and my wife 2020 Roth IRA's.

- Deposit $50 / week into a "fun" money taxable account invested 100% into VOO. Currently stands at around $10,500. Thinking about long term, fun goals for this money. Hawaiian vacation in 2025?

- Pay off our second vehicle. Currently $7,200 @ 4.25%.

- Increase net worth to $358,000

Current assets are:

$35,000 in cash
$53,000 in taxable investments
$412,000 in property (real estate and vehicles)
$85,000 in retirement accounts (401k + Roth IRA's)

Total = $585,000

Current liabilities are:

$7,200 (@4.25%) for a car
$2,000 in credit card (paid off every month)
$1,295 on iPhone upgrade program
$261,600 on my mortgage (@3.75%)

Total = $272,000

Net Worth = $313,000

A 12.5% increase in net worth seems lofty, but might as well aim high.

2020 Personal Goals

- Take two consecutive weeks of vacation. I am very fortunate and have 7 weeks of PTO, which I never actually use.
- Do 100 consecutive pushups. Currently at 15.
- Read 50 books. Read 53 in 2019, but I still feel that 50 is enough.

Sock The Great fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 3, 2020

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Let's do this!

1 - Max out all tax-advantaged retirement accounts, including HSA

2 - Save [a crapton] of money in my Brokerage account (I know the number, but I'd rather not say)

2 STRETCH - Save [a crapton] + mortgage early paydown.
I'm actually looking to possibly refinance if it makes sense; we plan on staying in our home for years to come. The paydown would be on a rental property so that when it's paid off it increases cash flow. I'd then use that money to pay down our primary mortgage early. So, why is this "2 STRETCH" instead of goal 3? Because the money is not going to the mortgage itself. It's going in my brokerage because my timeline is still over 10+years and I like the liquidity.

3 - Get my wife's employer to include a 457. I found out last year that they don't have this option. If they opened one, it would be a governmental version which is awesome. I have a 457 plan for my job but it's non-governmental which makes it less attractive as the balance increases.

4 - Hit 5 figures for side hustle in a year - MAN IS THIS A STRETCH but hey, go big.

Personal goals
-Work out 4 times per week, average 1 hour per day
-Read one book per week on average
-Engage at least one quality social contact outside of work each month
-Complete one home maintenance/improvement task each month, no matter how small

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
My life has gotten really weird and turned upside down. I'll try to institute some goals when we get a return to normalcy.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My life has gotten really weird and turned upside down. I'll try to institute some goals when we get a return to normalcy.

Sending positive thoughts your way!

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
2019: I'm 35. Paid off student loans, kicked up 529 contributions, gross retirement savings/debt payoff rate ~45% and net ~70%.

Debts: car loan to be repaid 6/22, mortgage ~60% of gross with 13 years left

2020:

1. Double mortgage principal payment, to be paid in full by age 40. This is instead of buying bonds.
2. Increase 529 contribution by 50%.
3. Save 40% of gross between retirement and taxable. Don't stress about saving any more than this.

Non-financial:
1. Work less. I work 9 non-overnight weekends per year. I want to pay one of my partners to work the Sunday for me. So the goal is to pay him to work at least 6 of my Sundays. I can afford this now, but actually doing this and giving him the money is a big step. Having him work the whole weekend is politically infeasible. In 2019 I dropped 6-8 am moonlighting shifts, though now I can work from home so I may pick 1-2 back up a month to cover this expense.
2. Find some sort of fitness goal, maybe hire a personal trainer. Anyone have experience with this? I am in good cardio shape but I think I would benefit from in person weight/core strength training. It's difficult to train for a specific event with young kids.
2b. Now that the holidays are over, stop eating sugary poo poo.
3. Cut down on social media at home.

howdoesishotweb fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 9, 2020

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
The roaring twenties are back! Time to get rich running booze across the boarder!

Here is my 2019 EOY TL;DR: I was a lazy bugger.

Potrzebie posted:

2019!

With a tenant in the basement, a roof covered in solar panels and a massive increase in the wife's salary, 2019 should be a good year where 2018 was meh

Goals:
*Keep putting $50/month/child in index funds on autopilot :lesnick:
*Find $50/month in expences that I can put in personal savings instead 0 luches at restaurants during work 2019 :lesnick:
*Sell car -We don't really need it and it costs $200 per month just sitting in the driveway due to taxes and insurance fail:smithmouth:
*Do a good - Wife got an amazing new job with massive raise, but that means that I'll be on 100% parental leave from March. Going to hang out with newly arrived immigrant parents and talk Swedish with them. Turns out, once again, that it's plenty to just hang around with my own spawn and close friends who are also on parental leave:smithmouth:
*Do some carpentry just for fun lol, not with kids this young:smithmouth:
*Keep up the biking/running ended an amazing running year with a 180kms 24 hour race :lesnick:
*Keep investing I even borrowed money to invest moar! :lesnick:
*Reduce mortgage by $10k Nah. The interest is too low for it to be better than investing:smithmouth:
More to come I think. :smithmouth:

2019 was not one of financial focus or discipline. Whatever, my mother is dying of cancer so I did not really care to focus on money. 2020 will both be bad (with a dead mother and whatnot) and better. We're going to do a BWM and not have a tenant in the basement come summer. Turns out it's Good with Life to have a cave in witch to drink wine and use the sauna and let friends sleep over in.

Goals for 2020:

The car will be sold as soon as we've replaced the battery. We first sold it to my parents, but mums rapid decline ment that they had 0 use for it and so we unsold it.

Gonna keep not buying lunches during work days 2020.

Keep a savings ratio of 30+% take home pay, aim for 40+%. Not counting pension savings as they are mandatory in Sweden, also not counting the additional pension savings that is part of my employment benefits.

Do a good. I'm going to raise money for the Swedish blood cancer fund, hoping to raise $2000 for the year.

Keep running to and from work erry day. This saves money like hell on car/buss pass.

Replace the main fuses to the house. We're over-fused and that is just stupid as the utilities company charges us extra for a thing we don't need.

And lastly, get a substantial raise. 2019 I got 0% raise and that is bullshit. Get a raise or get a new job with better pay.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

howdoesishotweb posted:

2. Find some sort of fitness goal, maybe hire a personal trainer. Anyone have experience with this? I am in good cardio shape but I think I would benefit from in person weight/core strength training. It's difficult to train for a specific event with young kids.

There are a couple of goons who do this, but they’ve not updated their SA Mart threads to the top recently.

But In the spirit of financial goals, come join us in You Look Like poo poo forum, and you can be abused by the collective intelligence for free.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
2020 Goals:

1. Increase Emergency Fund by $5k
2. Max out 401(k)
3. No new debt/loans; currently only loan is mortgage

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm already pretty happy with our savings rate and we've adjusted well to the finances of having a baby, so I'll keep it simple:

1) Earn at least $1,500 in credit card and bank account bonuses this year, not counting the $500 PNC checking bonus I'm working on and Southwest Companion Pass my wife is working on

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Fake edit: This turned into a 'thinking out loud' post, it's a bit longer than I planned, but at least it'll make sense to me later.

Three years ago my bank account hovered around $500 (all of this is Australian dollars, by the way) - I'd spent most of my twenties under/unemployed, and the government allowance wasn't enough to save. Then I got a pleasant job with a good union; my salary has automatic raises and it's the same statewide, so a quiet life outside the capital means I don't worry much about my balance anymore. On the other hand, I need to catch up on planning for the future after that lost decade.

Not mentioned below: car (second hand, owned outright, works fine), super (contributing extra but otherwise on the backburner while thinking about houses), debts (just an interest-free university loan, indexed to inflation, a part of my wage goes to it via the government but it seems dumb to pay more for now).

Budgeting goals
  • Keep to the new budget I just made (once I fix anything that turns out to be too unreasonable). YNAB was a huge help a few years back but I got lazy once my balance started going up, and looking at recent transactions to make this new one there were some unpleasant surprises. It might be an opportunity to see if something else works better for me now, there's a few alternatives about.
  • Save $1200+ a month - same as above really, it's a little below what the budget says I should have 'left over'. I was already managing a decent chunk of that, but that's no excuse to waste the rest.
  • Spend less on junk food, especially work lunches and takeaway pizza. I need to get healthier anyway, but I spent at least $3000 on unhealthy food last year, more than I spent on healthy food (I itemise supermarket receipts so that's everything, not just takeaways). A few treats are fine so this won't go to $0 but the pizzas and work lunches are specific things to cut back on.
  • Reach a net worth of $85K (if I don't buy a house). Probably optimistic, but $80K should be straightforward and above that will be great. Depends on the economy, really. That sixth digit will come one day.
  • Buy a house, if I can afford to. My rental is honestly nearly perfect for my current needs and surely cheaper than a mortgage, but it would be nice to have more freedom, privacy, and outdoor space - and if I didn't finish work at 4 PM I'd probably never get a parking spot here. At this stage I don't know where to start, though I think I would be spending a LOT of my money on the deposit alone. It might make more sense to stay here for another year and keep saving, but at some point that's going to get depressing.
  • Buy an electric bicycle: Fun bonus goal. My commute and a lot of errands would be in riding distance, I'd barely need to touch the car. But I don't need one, the longer I wait the better they get, and I don't really have room in the apartment (and if I moved the trips would be longer!)

Hard-to-measure goals
  • Buy more things locally and sustainably (including second-hand!), and fewer online or 'bargain' impulse purchases. Many things will still be cheaper elsewhere, but it won't kill me to check downtown or gumtree first, or consider if I'll still care about it in a month, or pay a little extra for a sturdier version (within limits).
  • Care less about my shares. Maybe sell a portion of the 'risky' ones, give up on ones that haven't done well, and put that into ETFs. And don't pretend you're going to get into day trading or options.
  • Get money's worth from health insurance extras. My teeth aren't great and I wear contacts. The maths works out in my favour, especially if I need surprise dental work, but it might not be enough to deal with the extra hassle. And obviously look around in July to see if I should switch to someone else.
  • Make use of my subscriptions. Or cancel them. I already culled a few in December (including cutting way down on Patreon), but then I added a few more potential ones while creating the new budget. Still, got to have some hobbies (also budgeted for).

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Before I start listing goals, I just want to say that I'm maxing out my 401k contributions.

2020 Financial Savings Goals (for someone who grew up broke & spends broke-ly despite a substantial increase in income)
1) $5,000 in the emergency fund
2) $2,500 in the travel fund (I still can't decide where I want to go)
3) $500 for a trip to the spa ;-*
4) $320 by March for my yearly renters insurance & various subscriptions so I don't have to worry about them anymore

Financial non-savings goals
1) spend less than $40 a week on alcohol/Uber
2) spend less than $20 a week on takeout/delivery

Non-financial goals
1) get (and stay) under 200 lbs
2) build a wardrobe that enables me to avoid wearing merch in non-concert & non-baseball game contexts
3) practice listening, pronunciation, and grammar in Norwegian at least three days a week :norway:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
2020 Goals:

Current State
- Wife's student loans: 65k left at 1.9% :toot:
- My student loans: 175k, eligible for PSLF in 3.5 years
- 1 car loan, 22k @ 3% :toot:
- Mortgage on a 15 year fixed at 3%, 89% to go
- Emergency Fund Funded.

Financial Goals for 2020
- Pay off my wife's student loan ASAP with savings (separate from emergency fund): should be done by February. :toot:
- Pay off car loan ASAP :toot:
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k Done
- Put at least $6k/month in to a taxable account.
- Save money for our next car
- Continue maxing out our 401ks/457s - On autopilot
- Continue maxing out our HSA - On autopilot
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 16, 2020

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2020 finance goals

- Still no consumer debt
- Grow pension pot from £83k to £95k
- Grow S&S ISA from £4k to £8k
- Increase NW from £100k to £125k

2020 Personal goals
- Lose weight, fatty (I have always been skinny but am now 208lbs, target #1 is to get back to 200 and then convert fat to muscle)
- Run at least twice a week, doing 10k/week by end of Q1
- Have -some- fun whilst I am still relatively young. Last year was great for my bank balance but we never took a holiday away for longer than 4 days. Use some short term savings to have a 2 week break somewhere like South Africa or New Zealand

Caveat: I might buy a house this year in which case all bets are off fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkk :grovertoot:

End of Jan

- No consumer debt
- Pension pot total still £83k, :rip: January gains
- S&S £4400
- NW £101-andabit-k

- tbc upon finding a set of scales
- Been running every Saturday and Tuesday except the day after my birthday, happy with progress here
- Booking a late March holiday to Rome this weekend

:grovertoot: still in the 'finding a place I actually want to live in' stage

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Jan update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs Done
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA On Track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On Track
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Transfer my final prior employer 401k into Vanguard
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy. We said it last year, and we'll say it again and hopefully we'll actually do it - NO MORE EXCUSES!
  • Plan a family Disney trip and save appropriately. Our kids are getting to that age where a Disney trip becomes inevitable (also, it'll be crazy fun)

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month This month was a lazy day at home with the wife and kids after a work trip.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine. Another NO EXCUSES goal that I always have but only actually did one time in 2015
  • Clean up the basement. Yet another NO EXCUSES goal
  • Help my wife clean the house one night a week On Track. We call it Project Mondays for fun
  • Keep good sleep habits. I suck at sleeping There were a few late nights due to work travel and children sickness, but otherwise, kept to my bedtime. Consistent wake time is my current struggle and where my efforts will be focused moving forward.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

January Happened!

1. Increase net worth from 173k to 205k.

2. Increase emergency fund from 12k to 14k.

3. Contribute $3.1k to Roth IRA.

$260

4a. If I don't buy a house, raise House Fund from 36.5k to 52k.

4b. If I do buy a house, put at least 15% down.

House fund is at 38k.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Jan update

2020 Financial Goals:

Consider the Disney Cruise. We just got back and everyone had a blast. It’s nice cause aside from alcohol all of your expenses are paid at booking, as opposed to being slowly gouged by the parks.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

January Update!

Pipistrelle posted:

Financial Goals

1. Get house emergency fund to $10,000 by April Current: $9045
A friend ended up paying me back a decent chunk of money I loaned her three years ago, put it straight into this fund so I’m a little ahead of schedule.

2. Get personal emergency fund to $15,000 by July Current: $10,900

3. Fully fund Roth IRA by October 30 Current: $1000

4. Contribute at least $5000 to 401(k) by EOY Current: $175

5. Get HSA to $1000 by EOY Current: $30 lol

Non-Financial Goals

1. Stop eating out so drat much Fail. Stayed in budget but it was too close. Need to do better in February

2. Do yoga 5 days a week hahahahaha, yeah, no.

3. Join a bouldering gym once I’m more in shape see 2.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Oh, we do EOM checkins? Alrighty.

quote:

Before I start listing goals, I just want to say that I'm maxing out my 401k contributions.
I cut back to 15% for reasons that will become clearer as my post goes on.

quote:

2020 Financial Savings Goals (for someone who grew up broke & spends broke-ly despite a substantial increase in income)
1) $5,000 in the emergency fund
My emergency fund now has $123.46 (down from a high of $1,055.99) in it from taking my cat back & forth to the vet (x-rays, pain meds, multiple consultations, blood work) trying to diagnose a problem that can only be solved by surgery. I included Uber rides to & from vets in the emergency fund because my cat can not ride on public transportation without yowling like a toddler being mauled by a coyote.

2) $2,500 in the travel fund (I still can't decide where I want to go)
$1,000.91 in the travel fund. Gotta love that sweet sweet interest :smug: Hopefully I won't end up having to spend it on cat surgery

3) $500 for a trip to the spa
No spa money yet, but in all fairness, 1) I've had other problems, and 2) this was a "by the end of the year" kind of goal anyway.

4) $320 by March for my yearly renters insurance & various subscriptions so I don't have to worry about them anymore
$214.28 in the yearly bills fund, right on track :)

quote:

Financial non-savings goals
1) spend less than $40 a week on alcohol/Uber
Vet trips blew the goal right out the window, though I've been good about keeping my alcohol consumption low (and inexpensive).

2) spend less than $20 a week on takeout/delivery
...I'm still trying. :smith:

quote:

Non-financial goals
1) get (and stay) under 200 lbs
247.6, down from 248. Pathetic.

2) build a wardrobe that enables me to avoid wearing merch in non-concert & non-baseball game contexts
I have money saved for clothes($140.73), and I spent other money on jeans after the inner thigh parts of all my jeans got rubbed out. :btroll: I haven't bought any shirts yet.

3) practice listening, pronunciation, and grammar in Norwegian at least three days a week :norway:
This has been easy, fun, and rewarding.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 2, 2020

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
2020 Financial Goals (January Update)

- Increase cash/emergency fund to $38,000 Currently at $32,358. Had a couple of unexpected expenses this month. My neighbor asked me to contribute $500 towards removing a couple trees on the property line and my wife and I decided to have our basement ceiling painted, $700.

- Fully fund both mine and my wife 2020 Roth IRA's. Mine will be fully funded by July, wife's next January

- Deposit $50 / week into a "fun" money taxable account invested 100% into VOO. Currently stands at around $10,500. Thinking about long term, fun goals for this money. Hawaiian vacation in 2025? Still rocking and rolling

- Pay off our second vehicle. Currently $7,200 @ 4.25%. On track, am making the minimum payment until December, then paying off the balance, which should be $4,500, in December

- Increase net worth to $358,000 Decided that this was not the best metric, since so much is tied to market performance, but I'm shooting for this anyways

Current assets are:

$32,358 in cash
$55,653 in taxable investments
$410,315 in property (real estate and vehicles)
$87,651 in retirement accounts (401k + Roth IRA's)

Total = $585,977

Current liabilities are:

$6,990 (@4.25%) for a car
$3,890 in credit card (paid off every month)
$1,146 on iPhone upgrade program
$260,624 on my mortgage (@3.75%)

Total = $272,650

Net Worth = $313,327 (+$327 from January 1, 2020)

2020 Personal Goals

- Take two consecutive weeks of vacation. I am very fortunate and have 7 weeks of PTO, which I never actually use. Planned for one week of family vacation in August. Remaining time is to be determined
- Do 100 consecutive pushups. Currently at 15. Haven't really focused on this at all, probably still around 15 - 20
- Read 50 books. Read 53 in 2019, but I still feel that 50 is enough. Read 10 books in January, I will probably end up reading ~75 books this year

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
My wife has asked me for a divorce. I've retained an attorney and we are drafting up documents.

I'm doing some prospective budgeting based on my salary at my new job, my calculated child support commitment and division of marital assets.

My first financial goal is to be free and clear of the divorce proceedings by July 1, with a clear budget and remainder-of-year goals posted at that time.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Not much to mention for most of my goals, but "save $1400 every month" didn't go well for January. Less-than-monthly spending on a number of items, from regular (electricity bill, club memberships) to irregular (new work clothes) to unpredictable (replace failing phone), etc. plus some extra spending on travel and tourism since I was on holiday. Bank total was virtually unchanged at month's end. The good news is that since the budget was based on averages of old spending, and I've got all those out of the way, the next month or two should be easy! Maybe.

The budget itself looks okay so far, the only obviously-wrong category was junk food because I lied to myself about how quickly I could become healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My wife has asked me for a divorce. I've retained an attorney and we are drafting up documents.

I'm doing some prospective budgeting based on my salary at my new job, my calculated child support commitment and division of marital assets.

My first financial goal is to be free and clear of the divorce proceedings by July 1, with a clear budget and remainder-of-year goals posted at that time.

good luck eat faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!