Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

2020 Goals in order of importance

1. Ensure I have enough cash on hand to bridge from my diploma into an engineering degree program:
- $4,000 in mid-July for the course tuition
- another $5,000 or so by September for household bills from Sept – Dec

2. Pay off all non-student debt:
- $7,500 credit card
- $1,800 consumer loan (currently interest free, but begins 19% interest on Jan 3 of 2021 I think)
- $225 phone tab (this one is permanently interest free but it’s small enough that I want it lumped in so I can call myself “debt-free”)

3. Switch up my vehicles without taking on new debt (doing this one in January, just need to make sure it doesn’t impact #1 and #2 above):
- sell my Civic ($6-$7,000), buy a 4runner ($9,000)
- buy a project rally car from a club mate ($2,500)

Non-financial:
1. Bridge from my diploma to the degree program (I’m making assumptions here that I’ll succeed in the bridge but it’s not guaranteed. I know my grades are good enough, but I do have to pass an interview to be admitted, and the the bridge program itself is pretty brutal apparently but I think I can swing it)

Update without in quote bolding because my list isn't linear/account itemized.

1. I sold my car for $6,000 and bought a 4Runner for $9,000, so that is done. Still working on getting it tow capable to go pick up the rally car.

2. Savings on hand is about $6,500. This will be drawn against for household bills somewhat but about $4,800 of it is for my credit card but that is dependent on 2 things:
- I don't owe on my taxes this year
- my sister who lives with me gets a job and starts paying me a small sum each month
If these both hold true, $4,800 straight to the CC. If not then I have a nice big buffer to hold me over for a few months.

3. CC is at $5,950, with a chunk of savings pending.
Consumer loan is still at $1,800, will be paying that in May. Phone tab is paid.

4. I've applied for the bridge, but I'm back to thinking I may just take my diploma and run. I'm having a hard time staying focused on school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
January off to a good start, mainly because it was 3 paycheck month rather than 2 paycheck month. February should be good due to income tax returns, and March will be bonus check time.

DJCobol posted:

Goals:
Max 4.5% contribution to work 401(k) - on autopilot
15% into a 409(a) account to make up for no Roth and limited 401(k) - on autopilot, but I done hosed up
Max HSA contribution - on autopilot
$500 a month into Vanguard brokerage account invested in index funds (VOO) - on autopilot, but considering changing to VFIAX for fractional shares
$1000 a month into a wedding savings account. Shooting for $12k by September for a small elopement, 2 "receptions" in each of our home states, and honeymoon expenses not covered by airline miles and hotel points - $5k now and that should just about cover what I need it to cover. Gonna keep saving the $1000 in case extra stuff comes up because it probably will. Anything left over will either go to her tuition or a honeymoon.

Stretch goals:
Pay down her shitbox Jeep and get her into a used CRV or RAV-4 instead - no movement yet
Pay off her existing student loans (~$10k as far as I know of) - nope, thats $16k
Spend $4-$5k on improvements to current home to make it easier to sell later this year or early next year.
I went into 2020 planning on not being able to contribute to a Roth IRA at all after exceeding contribution limits. However, I wasn't thinking far enough ahead about getting married this year, and that changing the combined limit. Since I wasn't planning on making Roth contributions, I just took that amount and put it into a 401(k)+. Now though, I can contribute the max for both of us, plus I found out she has an HSA that only gets $20 bi-weekly from her employer. And she wants to go back to school and get her bachelor's degree from WGU. So adding that up:
$12,000 for max Roth IRA for both of us
$3,000 to max out her HSA
$5,000 minimum to set up a traditional IRA for her since her employer has no 401(k) plan yet
$6,740 for 2 semesters of college tuition

Trying to find an extra $26,740 when 50% of my salary is already going into some kind of retirement or other savings won't be fun. Luckily we pretty much live off of what I take home, and she pays for her bills, and anything else she takes home will go directly towards this number. I should have a decent bonus check to help offset, and this year I have to start taking RMDs from a beneficiary IRA, so that should help offset too. This is the year to start controlling some of the loose ends on my budget (now our budget I guess).

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

DrNewton posted:

I tried joining in mid 2018, but gave up after a month or so. So this year I hope to contribute more.

DrNewton 2020 Financial Goals

First Goal: Get my Student Loan Debt under 8.5K
Currently at: 11,890.82

Secound Goal: Focus on Monthly Goals
January Goal: Update YNAB everyday single day.

Comments
I want to start off with the fact that I make around 10K to 15K a year, give or take. However in 2019 I started to work jobs that allow me a little extra more in income.

As someone who grew up with that spot of not poor but not working class either, having this new income with extra cash in my pocket was exciting and I may gotten a little too excited and made some bad choices. I had my fun, time to go back to my roots.

Goal 1:
I have been paying $250 a month since October which would be 3K a year.
However with daily interest, around 600 - 700 a year is interest alone.
So I want to focus on getting any and all extra income towards paying it off.
My long term goal is to get completely paid off by the end of 2022.
The sooner, the better is what I say.
This will not be an easy task, unless I bust my butt this year, so wish me luck!

Goal 2:
I have fallen off the wagon a bit. Plus I was never the best at keeping it updated, and some months of nearly not updating caused a lot of headache and missed transactions. I refused to refresh the budget because I started taking YNAB more seriously in March 2018 when I moved back home. The reports are showing progress of my growth as an adult, and I don't want to lose it.

My aim by updating everyday is to keep me in check of my goals. Especially if I want to get my own place, and tackle that student loan debt.

Wish me luck!
DrNewton

Right-o.

First of all, I just arrived back from a week vacation at the beach. While I was busy flying back and landing at 1:30am, my pre schedule payment to my student loan was $400! I was able to take a last minute vacation AND pay almost 2x the amount than what I was putting towards my student loan debt. WHOOO! I feel great.

I also threw 350 towards my loans in January.

I should be getting a large tax return and I am just going to throw that money towards my loan.

Anyway, now that I feel refreshed, I am going to spend the rest of this year just KILLING that student loan debt. Than I will be free and the world will be my oyster.

As for Goal 2: YNAB updating is getting better but I am not where I want to be. I am updating it at least 3 to 4 times a week, where I was only doing 1 to 2 times. So this is an improvement. I need to focus on checking it while I am on the go so I know how much I actually have. When I bought my vacation package, I was very good at keeping it updated, but I left it be while I was gone. I need to do some major updating of my budget so I will let it be until tomorrow where I will sit down and spend a few hours on it.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Oodles posted:

I’ll bite.

2020 Financial Goals

1. Keep zero balance on my credit cards. Last year I think I paid about £200 in interest payments, and that’s totally wasted money.
achieved

2. Try (this’ll be hard) to put aside £100 a month, split 50/50 into long term savings and short term savings. That way I’ve got rainy day money, and a long term growth pot.
achieved and managed to set aside another £50 for savings, and £350 for future non monthly bills

3. Stop buying god drat lunch from shops in town. I waste £3/4 a day when I do that, when I’ve got things to make it at home. I’ll allow myself a once a mont treat, if I meeting a friend for lunch.
achieved, ish. I did well the first two weeks then lapsed a little

2020 Personal Goals

1. Keep up doing weights 3 times a week. I’ve started to see progress over the past 4 months, and I’d really like this to continue.
bested, I exercised every other day

2. Redecorate two rooms in our house, without impacting goal #1 above.
failed, and haven’t even had time to plan/discuss

3. Be a nice person to be around, I know I’m a poo poo sometimes, and my wife chose to be with me. So it’s probably a good idea to make her realise she made a good decision.
mostly good

3. Be a better dad. As #3, I fail all the time with my kids.
good with 3 out of 4 kids, one is a challenge and that’s really making me feel like a failure.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
maybe not the place for it but i think with kids you have to take a long hard look at what defines "success" and "failure"

i mean if failure is yelling/being abusive/whatever yes, that is bad, but if it's just "i am not connecting as well with this kid as the others" that's not really a failure per se

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My wife has asked me for a divorce. I've retained an attorney and we are drafting up documents.

I'm doing some prospective budgeting based on my salary at my new job, my calculated child support commitment and division of marital assets.

My first financial goal is to be free and clear of the divorce proceedings by July 1, with a clear budget and remainder-of-year goals posted at that time.

Best wishes to you!

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't ever posted any financial goals before but happy to this year along with some money accomplishments from last year that I'm happy about.

2019 things:
Successfully paid for our wedding on our own! Only money contribution from the in-laws was for the catering so thank you to them for that.
Bought a car at 0% interest and paying it off easily each month.
Honeymoon fund filled and ready to go for our trip this June!
Wife got a raise along with a new job title! And then another raise this past month - she's too good at her job
Both Roth IRAs maxed for another year in a row.
Wife maxing employer's match to her 403b

2020 financial goals:
Max out both Roth IRAs
Continue maxing the employer's match to 403b
More money into our Vanguard brokerage account rather than just sitting in our credit union's okish savings account
Learn more about financial stuff like investments, retirement, stock market, etc. (My dad, while great at this stuff, is pretty bad at explaining it to me or I'm too stupid to understand)
Figure out a good way to start at fund for a down payment on a house - all advice is welcome!

2020 other goals:
Spend less money on beer
Move to a new rental since our current apartment sucks rear end and we want to be happy
Be less angry and be more positive

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Haven't done this in a couple years. Finally got back to steady employment and brought myself to move to a better apartment so I'm gonna try to make 2020 count in balancing responsibility with letting myself have fun

2020 Responsible Goals:
- Max 401k (Just registered, let's see how it jibes with my expenses)
- Max ROTH IRA (DONE)
- Invest what I can now that my potential down payment/emergency fund is stable
- Spend < $50/mo on alcohol
- Spend < $40/mo on games

2020 Fun Goals:
- Go on a vacation
- Pick up a new hobby

2020 Non-Financial Goals
- Get to the gym 3+ times per week
- Keep up with personal log
- Furnish new apartment (Need: New Couch, entertainment unit, dining set. Want: 2 new rugs, shelving. Chores: Hang all wall stuff, curtains, finish unpacking misc still-boxed items)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Feb update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA On Track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On Track
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Transfer my final prior employer 401k into Vanguard
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy
  • Plan a family Disney trip and save appropriately

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month This month was used to do taxes and other accounting things.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine
  • Clean up the basement We finally packed up all the baby stuff we won't be needing anymore, which opened a ton of shelving areas for other stuff
  • Help my wife clean the house one night a week On Track
  • Keep good sleep habits Keeping to my bedtime. Struggling with the wake time. I probably need to shift my bedtime earlier.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Update without in quote bolding because my list isn't linear/account itemized.

1. I sold my car for $6,000 and bought a 4Runner for $9,000, so that is done. Still working on getting it tow capable to go pick up the rally car.

2. Savings on hand is about $6,500. This will be drawn against for household bills somewhat but about $4,800 of it is for my credit card but that is dependent on 2 things:
- I don't owe on my taxes this year
- my sister who lives with me gets a job and starts paying me a small sum each month
If these both hold true, $4,800 straight to the CC. If not then I have a nice big buffer to hold me over for a few months.

3. CC is at $5,950, with a chunk of savings pending.
Consumer loan is still at $1,800, will be paying that in May. Phone tab is paid.

4. I've applied for the bridge, but I'm back to thinking I may just take my diploma and run. I'm having a hard time staying focused on school.

Feb update:

1. I bought a brand new money sink, a rally car. Automobile goals accomplished.

2. Savings is down to $4,500, but I'm getting a $2,000 tax return which will be going straight to my CC. My sister got a job finally but a bit later than I was expecting so her contribution will be a bit delayed. Still looking okay on this front.

3. CC will be down to $4,000 in the next week or two when my tax return comes in, and then all consumer debt is scheduled to be paid off in May.

4. I don't think I'll be pursuing the degree. My sister got a pretty much full time job which means I now need to pay for daycare which is a big strain on my finances, and ultimately I'm feeling super burned out by school. I want to get back to work for a couple years and be able to hang out with my kids on evenings and weekends rather than hanging out with my homework. Plus my hobbies are languishing and it's starting to feel really not fun anymore. I can always come back and finish later, and walk away with the diploma for now.

Overall everything is right on track, aside from the change of plans wrt school. Feeling really good about going from over $13k in consumer debt when my wife left me last April to $0 in 12-13 months. If I go right into work and am aggressive about the student loan, I think I can have that paid in 12-24 months as well. Feeling great about my finances right now.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
March 1 and a Sunday, what better time to check my goals?

Budgeting goals:
  • Keep to the new budget/save $1200+ a month/spend less on junk food: Spending on food is still too high but otherwise this was a huge success - $2215 saved (54%). It helps that I have no large bills in February and postponed some purchases until March, but my average is back over 1200. I am getting a bit lazy about putting purchases directly into YNAB instead of reconciling on weekends.
  • Net worth of $85K: Continuing in the right direction, 70K to 73K. Future increases might be slower because I sold most of my shares (unrelated to and mostly before last week's drop), but I think I can still get there.
  • Buy a house, if I can afford to: probably not happening - I could save for a deposit but wouldn't have much left over for all the other fees and costs. Another year of renting feels a little depressing but it's probably better in the long run.
  • Buy an electric bicycle: This was a dumb idea even before Summer ended. Scratch that off the list.
Intangibler goals
  • Local/sustainable purchases: Nope, mostly at national chains, There's a number of things I do have plans for (mostly hiking gear) that I postponed until after February.
  • Care less about shares: Massive success, because it was pointed out to me that the stock market is a terrible way to invest money I plan to spend in the near future, so I sold virtually all of them at a reasonable profit and have nothing to care about. Will I miss out on gains or dodge a crash? Who cares, it doesn't matter now! (I still have some that I can't do much with until July.)
  • Get value from health insurance extras: No.
  • Make use of my subscriptions: good enough, nothing else worth culling yet.
  • New: Actually start planning for retirement: The investing/retirement thread revealed to me that there are many things I didn't know that I didn't know. Time do some reading and calculating so I can take action that doesn't turn out to be extremely misguided in hindsight (e.g. those shares again).

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

uvar posted:

New: Actually start planning for retirement: The investing/retirement thread revealed to me that there are many things I didn't know that I didn't know. Time do some reading and calculating so I can take action that doesn't turn out to be extremely misguided in hindsight (e.g. those shares again).
Keep at this. There's weird goons like me always happy to help.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2020 finance goals

- Still no consumer debt
- Grow pension pot from £83k to £95k
- Grow S&S ISA from £4k to £8k
- Increase NW from £100k to £125k

2020 Personal goals
- Lose weight, fatty (I have always been skinny but am now 208lbs, target #1 is to get back to 200 and then convert fat to muscle)
- Run at least twice a week, doing 10k/week by end of Q1
- Have -some- fun whilst I am still relatively young. Last year was great for my bank balance but we never took a holiday away for longer than 4 days. Use some short term savings to have a 2 week break somewhere like South Africa or New Zealand

Caveat: I might buy a house this year in which case all bets are off fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkk :grovertoot:

- No consumer debt
- £79k, lmao :rip: this goal, just keep buying through the panic every month
- S&S £4600, really glad I started saving separately as well now
- NW £99k :smith:

- 202lbs, should be back at 200 by next month
- Ran every Tuesday in Feb and 3/5 Saturdays with my partner
- Booked a vacation in early Feb for a long weekend in Rome at the end of March fml... will see if coronavirus spreads further south from where it is currently in northern Italy but have one eye on bailing out of this and claiming on the travel insurance if it all goes to poo poo.

:grovertoot: still not found anything we both like, hunt is still on

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

February Update

1. Increase net worth from 173k to 205k.

2. Increase emergency fund from 12k to 14k.

3. Contribute $3.1k to Roth IRA.

$520

4a. If I don't buy a house, raise House Fund from 36.5k to 52k.

4b. If I do buy a house, put at least 15% down.

House fund is at 39k.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

February Update:

Pipistrelle posted:

Financial Goals

1. Get house emergency fund to $10,000 by April DONE!

2. Get personal emergency fund to $15,000 by July
Current: $11,120

3. Fully fund Roth IRA by October 30
Current: $1,500

4. Contribute at least $5000 to 401(k) by EOY
Current: $700

5. Get HSA to $1000 by EOY
Current: $60

Non-Financial Goals

1. Stop eating out so drat much
Meh not super hot in February, need to do better this month.

2. Do yoga 5 days a week
Not at 5 days a week, but getting better.

3. Join a bouldering gym once I’m more in shape
Definitely not to this point yet.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
2020 Financial Goals (February Update)

Obviously February was a terrible month for net worth goals. UPDATE: Haven't changed my strategy at all.

- Increase cash/emergency fund to $38,000. UPDATE: Currently at $30,796.

- Fully fund both mine and my wife 2020 Roth IRA's. Mine will be fully funded by June, wife's in November. UPDATE: Accelerated this schedule a little bit because I did my taxes a little earlier this year.

- Deposit $50 / week into a "fun" money taxable account invested 100% into VOO. Currently stands at around $10,100. Thinking about long term, fun goals for this money. Hawaiian vacation in 2025? Still rocking and rolling. UPDATE: I'll continue to do this through this correction / crash / apocalypse.

- Pay off our second vehicle. Currently $7,200 @ 4.25%. On track, am making the minimum payment until December, then paying off the balance, which should be $4,500, in December

- Increase net worth to $358,000 Decided that this was not the best metric, since so much is tied to market performance, but I'm shooting for this anyways. This latest hiccup probably makes this unreachable. No worries, I'll just keep chugging along.

Current assets are:

$30,796 in cash
$51,176 in taxable investments
$408,341 in property (real estate and vehicles)
$85,896 in retirement accounts (401k + Roth IRA's)

Total = $576,209

Current liabilities are:

$6,765 (@4.25%) for a car
$2,208 in credit card (paid off every month)
$1,083 on iPhone upgrade program
$260,148 on my mortgage (@3.75%)

Total = $270,204

Net Worth = $306,005 (-$7,322 from February 1, 2020)

2020 Personal Goals

- Take two consecutive weeks of vacation. I am very fortunate and have 7 weeks of PTO, which I never actually use. Planned for one week of family vacation in August. Remaining time is to be determined
- Do 100 consecutive pushups. Currently at 15. Haven't really focused on this at all, probably still around 15 - 20
- Read 50 books. Read 53 in 2019, but I still feel that 50 is enough. Read 8 books in February, I will probably end up reading ~75 books this year

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

What's up with the very large emergency savings accounts some of you have? Is that an American thing or do some of you guys just have enormous monthly obligations? I can't imagine keeping over 30k in cash or cash-like deposits

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
The gig economy makes life pretty volatile. I like having a year of expenses saved in cash, plus savings accounts aren't much less than bonds these days so why not just keep 75k in Alliant?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

What's up with the very large emergency savings accounts some of you have? Is that an American thing or do some of you guys just have enormous monthly obligations? I can't imagine keeping over 30k in cash or cash-like deposits

A six month emergency fund for my household would be about $15 -$18,000 ($1,700 / mo mortgage + utilities, groceries, etc for a family of 4.). The remaining amount is because I am fairly confident that I am going to need to replace my vehicle in the next 12 - 18 months, which accounts for a most of the large amount of cash I have at the moment (budget $18k - 20k).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

my cash position is pretty big but that is because i am currently the sole income earner for my household so i am carrying 12 mos expenses rather than six

it's probably excessively paranoid but it makes me feel better and it's in HYSA so i don't really care about min/maxing that money

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
March check-in! Updates:
-I'm still at 15% for 401k contributions.
-I'm still paying off my cat's knee surgery.

quote:

2020 Financial Savings Goals (for someone who grew up broke & spends broke-ly despite a substantial increase in income)
1) $5,000 in the emergency fund
My emergency fund now has $425.92, which will all go toward paying for my cat's knee surgery.

2) $2,500 in the travel fund (I still can't decide where I want to go)
$222.66 in the travel fund. Flight to Toronto, hotel, and pet-sitter are all paid for. :)

3) $500 for a trip to the spa ;-*
No spa money yet. In addition to this being an EOY goal, I also got diagnosed with some massive fibroids a couple of weeks ago so getting them removed is higher-priority than hot tubs & massages for now.

4) $320 by March for my yearly renters insurance & various subscriptions so I don't have to worry about them anymore
$321.65 as of March 1. DONE! :toot:

quote:

Financial non-savings goals
1) spend less than $40 a week on alcohol/Uber
edit to remove old comment: there has been more Uber than alcohol this month, which is...an improvement?

2) spend less than $20 a week on takeout/delivery
I'm not even entirely sure how badly I screwed this up, I just know that I did.

quote:

Non-financial goals
1) get (and stay) under 200 lbs
I stopped weighing myself after a distracting couple of weeks, and I figured the fibroids would probably inflate my weight anyway.

2) build a wardrobe that enables me to avoid wearing merch in non-concert & non-baseball game contexts
I spent my clothes money on the cat. :negative:

3) practice listening, pronunciation, and grammar in Norwegian at least three days a week :norway:
I've been distracted, to say the least. I did start taking notes during text-based conversations with friends, so that I could jot down words that I learned during the conversation along with Norwegian-language definitions.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think it might be helpful for you to measure how you blew your takeout/delivery goal, since that could help you prevent doing the same in the future. If you don't look in to it, it's hard to change behavior. for instance, how bad did you blow the goal? which weeks were bad? did you blow it every week or did you have on really bad week that caused you to miss? what kinds of stuff are you ordering? when are you ordering (weekends, weeknights, etc)? are there other correlations to other life events that have driven it (eg stressed at work, working late, etc)?

that's my 2 cents!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think it might be helpful for you to measure how you blew your takeout/delivery goal, since that could help you prevent doing the same in the future. If you don't look in to it, it's hard to change behavior. for instance, how bad did you blow the goal? which weeks were bad? did you blow it every week or did you have on really bad week that caused you to miss? what kinds of stuff are you ordering? when are you ordering (weekends, weeknights, etc)? are there other correlations to other life events that have driven it (eg stressed at work, working late, etc)?

that's my 2 cents!
Reinforcing this suggestion. It's hard to make effective changes without looking at the data (you have to be gathering data) and understanding what it implies.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think it might be helpful for you to measure how you blew your takeout/delivery goal, since that could help you prevent doing the same in the future. If you don't look in to it, it's hard to change behavior.

Laziness, and the lack of immediate financial repercussions if I don't go grocery-shopping. Yes this has been a stressful month, between dealing with a cat recovering from knee surgery and my own fibroid-addled uterus, but I'd be lying if I said that my reaction to these things was ordering in. Or maybe it is and I just don't know it, but I don't think that's the case at all.

As far as what I'm buying, I work in a building with a cafeteria, so breakfast & lunch there can cost around $12 max. I sometimes grab DD on the way to work ($7-ish); there's a Chinese takeout place, a Mexican place, and a fish market on the way home ($10 max). There are just so many options.

Hoodwinker posted:

Reinforcing this suggestion. It's hard to make effective changes without looking at the data (you have to be gathering data) and understanding what it implies.

Yeah I know, and I ran through Mint AND my bank account for the purposes of posting in the first place, but there were a few withdrawals that I can't actually trace to anything. I've been assuming that they're Uber/delivery tips and takeout. I try to stay on top of this sort of thing, and I did a great job in January at least! :sigh: Logging my use of cash as soon as I withdraw it is a habit I have to get back into. I think March is going to be a "getting back into good habits" month.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

word, don't beat yourself up about it! that doesn't do any good. just try to see what you can learn from it and it sounds like you have done so.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Yeah, I'm trying not to get too defeatist about it. The year is still young, after all!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Little bit of a, little bit of b. We have a decently large mortgage payment due to our 15 year loan (and neighborhood). We’re trying to pay in cash for our next car purchase, so that adds up pretty quickly.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Hope no one expected to meet their net worth goals midyear with equities!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

howdoesishotweb posted:

I haven't looked. :ohdear:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Pretty much all goals are on hold at this moment. It's all about survival

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

howdoesishotweb posted:

haha suckers, check it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
What an amazing bloodbath!

I'm not checking anything, I'm just staying afloat.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

:stonk: March Update :stonk:

1. Increase net worth from 173k to 205k.

2. Increase emergency fund from 12k to 14k.

3. Contribute $3.1k to Roth IRA.

$780

4a. If I don't buy a house, raise House Fund from 36.5k to 52k.

4b. If I do buy a house, put at least 15% down.

House fund is at 40.5k.

I also am under contract on a house... Great timing, eh? 13% down. Waiting for the results of the appraisal before I officially say I'm buying a house!

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

uvar posted:

March 1 and a Sunday, what better time to check my goals?

March is over. My job is "essential" (for now) so that's lucky, and the lockdown here isn't too restrictive. But virus stuff definitely had an impact. At the rate I'm getting rid of goals this is just going to be "hoard beans" by December.

Fake edit: I keep referring to it so to remove the mystery, I'm at a school in a non-teaching position in Australia. We're still open but teaching remotely to students at home. If students stay away for too long I run out of useful work, and I can't work from home at all if the campus is closed. The government is offering a reasonable replacement income so that wouldn't be crippling, but I'd rather stay employed.

• Keep to the new budget/save $1200+ a month/spend less on junk food: Mostly great! I saved about $2000/50%, similar to last month. It wasn't even on purpose, more like a side effect of staying indoors and worrying about job security. Spending was up on food and snacks to improve my pantry (and from stress eating). Spending was also up on jigsaw puzzles.
  • Net worth of $85K: Glad I got rid of my poorly-planned shares in February! Saved income partly offset the loss in retirement savings, so I went from 73K to 71K overall. I don't think I'm going to worry about this goal for a while.
  • Buy a house, if I can afford to: No, house deposit has become potentially years of "buffer" which I don't expect to need but is a great anxiety preventer. House prices are likely to go down, so that's a silver lining for next year!
  • Local/sustainable purchases: Local, yes - I've switched to the pricier independent grocery to avoid crowds and empty shelves at the big supermarket. Sustainable, yes, in the sense that I'm not buying luxury items at all (why bother getting more hiking gear when all the trails are shut?)
  • Get value from health insurance extras: still no, although some options like dentist checkups aren't available at the moment.
  • Make use of my subscriptions: several are unavailable due to the lockdown, but they're hurting more than me so I can spare a few dollars for now.
  • Start planning for retirement: I did some research and used some calculators and was pleasantly surprised that I was on track for a 'comfortable' retirement. And then things happened, but I know enough not to panic. I want to increase how much I'm putting into my retirement account, but that can wait until I get some longer-term job certainty. I should have a better idea by this time next month.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2020 finance goals

- Still no consumer debt
- Grow pension pot from £83k to £95k
- Grow S&S ISA from £4k to £8k
- Increase NW from £100k to £125k

2020 Personal goals
- Lose weight, fatty (I have always been skinny but am now 208lbs, target #1 is to get back to 200 and then convert fat to muscle)
- Run at least twice a week, doing 10k/week by end of Q1
- Have -some- fun whilst I am still relatively young. Last year was great for my bank balance but we never took a holiday away for longer than 4 days. Use some short term savings to have a 2 week break somewhere like South Africa or New Zealand

Caveat: I might buy a house this year in which case all bets are off fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkk :grovertoot:

and I thought February was bad...

- No consumer debt, so I got that going for me I guess
- £75k lmao :rip:
- £4,300 lmao :rip:
- £91k lmao :rip:

- 200lbs :pcgaming: mostly due to not eating out any more by government decree rather than exercise
- Running every Wednesday and Saturday now :pcgaming:
- lmao :rip: - rebooked Rome for July for now but who knows if that will get postponed again

:grovertoot: Found a nice house but asking price is more than my entire net worth over our budget and it was put under offer almost immediately, thanks London :brexit: Search also pretty much on hold as we can't leave the flat

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Q1 done! :sadtrombone:

Potrzebie posted:

Goals for 2020:

The car will be sold as soon as we've replaced the battery. We first sold it to my parents, but mums rapid decline ment that they had 0 use for it and so we unsold it.
-No. With corona wreaking everything we're keeping the car for now so that we can travel when needed. No one wants to buy it anyway.

Gonna keep not buying lunches during work days 2020.
-So far so good. Did pay for one lunch to see off my boss who is currently on parental leave.

Keep a savings ratio of 30+% take home pay, aim for 40+%. Not counting pension savings as they are mandatory in Sweden, also not counting the additional pension savings that is part of my employment benefits.
-So far so good. Been socking away around 40%.

Do a good. I'm going to raise money for the Swedish blood cancer fund, hoping to raise $2000 for the year.
-This started off spectacularily. Met my goal for the year in q1.

Keep running to and from work erry day. This saves money like hell on car/buss pass.
-Almost 1200k ran so far this year.

Replace the main fuses to the house. We're over-fused and that is just stupid as the utilities company charges us extra for a thing we don't need.
-I keep forgetting to do this.

And lastly, get a substantial raise. 2019 I got 0% raise and that is bullshit. Get a raise or get a new job with better pay.
-FAIL. They suggested a paltry "raise" that was not even at inflation rate. Managed to convey the message that if they really don't appreciate my work neither of us should be interested in me staying. Got a lame 2% raise. Plan to take time off work to go back to school and study IT project management, but in these times so might 20.000 others poor sods who lost their jobs so who knows if I'll get in. We'll see. So far employed and not hating it. Not going to risk anything in this economic climate.

All in all, we live in interesting times. I'm glad that me and my wife are both full time employed and neither of our companies are going bankrupt; not right now at least.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

March Update:

Financial Goals

1. Get house emergency fund to $10,000 by April DONE!

2. Get personal emergency fund to $15,000 by July
Current: $11,802

3. Fully fund Roth IRA by October 30
Current: $2,500

4. Contribute at least $5000 to 401(k) by EOY
Current: $1050

5. Get HSA to $1000 by EOY
Current: $90

Non-Financial Goals

1. Stop eating out so drat much
Currently trying to balance this one with saving money but also supporting local restaurants during all of this craziness.

2. Do yoga 5 days a week
Not at 5 days a week, but getting better.

3. Join a bouldering gym once I’m more in shape
This one’s definitely on hold for a while, the gyms are closed cause the state is in lockdown. I’m also not in good enough shape yet

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Updated 2020 Goals:

1) Don't die - so far so good
2) Stay employed - check
3) Don't check stock prices multiple times per day - Fail
4) Try not to cry - only crying a little

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

DJCobol posted:

Updated 2020 Goals:

2) Stay employed - check
Yeah this is basically where I'm at. I got a new job late last year and thankfully I'm at a company that doesn't seem like it will need to do layoffs or pay cuts (meanwhile my last company just announced 5-15% pay cuts across the board). I'm adjusting how much I'm contributing to do some mega backdoor Roth stuff but that was actually more because of us just buying a house also and wanting to get our e-fund bolstered a bit than it was about the Plague. I figure if we just keep on trucking and I stay employed then we'll come out the other side of this just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DJCobol posted:

Updated 2020 Goals:

2) Stay employed - check

yeah i think my updated goals are

1a) Don't die so far
1b) wife don't die either so far
1c) don' t kill each other so far
2) Keep Job Success, with salary deferral but still!
3) Go outside every day Success!
4) Do some inside non-screen hobby every day Not Success!
5) Run 3-4x week Success!
6) wife graduate and not go insane in progress!