Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Mar update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA On Track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On Track
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Transfer my final prior employer 401k into Vanguard
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy
  • Plan a family Disney trip and save appropriately We were thinking next Spring, so I think this is still feasible.

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month I didn't take a day off, but working from home with the kids means I'm only ever partially working anyway.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine
  • Clean up the basement Being forced to stay home means we've been focused on this most nights after the kids go to bed. Lots of progress here.
  • Help my wife clean the house one night a week On Track
  • Keep good sleep habits Losing at this one hard. Working from home with the kids means I'm working odd hours, and don't necessarily have to be out of the house at any certain time.

Like everyone else, things are weird right now. I'm middle management at a consulting firm, so I am ready for the axe to drop. We have an e-fund that would last 8-10 months, though, so if I were to get the boot, I wouldn't be too stressed. Our biggest client right now is a large health insurance company in the US, so I think they'll do better during this pandemic than most companies and keep us employed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Feb update:

1. I bought a brand new money sink, a rally car. Automobile goals accomplished.

2. Savings is down to $4,500, but I'm getting a $2,000 tax return which will be going straight to my CC. My sister got a job finally but a bit later than I was expecting so her contribution will be a bit delayed. Still looking okay on this front.

3. CC will be down to $4,000 in the next week or two when my tax return comes in, and then all consumer debt is scheduled to be paid off in May.

4. I don't think I'll be pursuing the degree. My sister got a pretty much full time job which means I now need to pay for daycare which is a big strain on my finances, and ultimately I'm feeling super burned out by school. I want to get back to work for a couple years and be able to hang out with my kids on evenings and weekends rather than hanging out with my homework. Plus my hobbies are languishing and it's starting to feel really not fun anymore. I can always come back and finish later, and walk away with the diploma for now.

Overall everything is right on track, aside from the change of plans wrt school. Feeling really good about going from over $13k in consumer debt when my wife left me last April to $0 in 12-13 months. If I go right into work and am aggressive about the student loan, I think I can have that paid in 12-24 months as well. Feeling great about my finances right now.

Things are pretty hosed but being a student not reliant on working income I'm actually in okay shape. I'm most worried about not being able to get a job in September and my siblings who live with me having the same issue, so income will be a problem in maybe 6 months but right now it's okay.

March update:

1. I'm not gonna get to go rallying for at least 4-5 months, maybe for the whole year depending on the state of the world and my job prospects :(

2. Savings is down to $2,500, I had to use my tax return to offset the income I never received from my sister and buy a new set of tires for my truck. Yeah, so my sister lied for some reason about having a job so not only did I not get any money from her for the 5 weeks she was "working", but also I was paying for daycare needlessly. Pretty annoyed with her but financially it wasn't too big an impact.

3. In May when I receive my scholarships/funding I'll still be paying off my CC, gonna defer the $1,800 consumer loan until just before it begins accruing interest in January because of the uncertain state of the world/finances.

4. Degree is absolutely out at this point, now I'm just hoping I can get a job lined up in September.

I'll be receiving some incomes from the Canadian government as part of it's CERB bill even though I'm not working, basically because I'm a low income single parent. I'll be using that to beef up my savings in May (to about $5,500 my budget says), so between that and the CC I should have a pretty comfortable buffer in case I can't get a job in September. Ideally my siblings would find work or one of us would qualify for some kind of regular income from CERB or what it may evolve into, but I'm not holding my breath for that. Hoping for the best, planning for the worst right now.

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 1, 2020

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Pipistrelle posted:

March Update:

Financial Goals

1. Get house emergency fund to $10,000 by April DONE!

2. Get personal emergency fund to $15,000 by July
Current: $11,802

3. Fully fund Roth IRA by October 30
Current: $2,500

4. Contribute at least $5000 to 401(k) by EOY
Current: $1050

5. Get HSA to $1000 by EOY
Current: $90

Non-Financial Goals

1. Stop eating out so drat much
Currently trying to balance this one with saving money but also supporting local restaurants during all of this craziness.

2. Do yoga 5 days a week
Not at 5 days a week, but getting better.

3. Join a bouldering gym once I’m more in shape
This one’s definitely on hold for a while, the gyms are closed cause the state is in lockdown. I’m also not in good enough shape yet

Lol I got furloughed 3 hours after making this post. I’d love to get back to these goals, but for now I guess here are my new goals:

1. Don’t get the covid/die

2. Help my boyfriend not get covid/die

3. Walk the dogs everyday

4. Do yoga everyday

5. Don’t use all of my emergency fund before working again

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

2020 Responsible Goals:
- Max 401k (Just registered, let's see how it jibes with my expenses) on track
- Max ROTH IRA (DONE)
- Invest what I can now that my potential down payment/emergency fund is stable We live in the endtimes so I'm making sure I have enough cash to float my unemployed relatives for the forseeable future. Investing will be solely w/my retirement accounts this year.
- Spend < $50/mo on alcohol On track!
- Spend < $40/mo on games I blew it, but I'm stuck indoors so gently caress it

2020 Fun Goals:
- Go on a vacation hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
- Pick up a new hobby Knitting up a storm

2020 Non-Financial Goals
- Get to the gym 3+ times per week hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
- Keep up with personal log 50/50 on this one
- Furnish new apartment (Need: New Couch, entertainment unit, dining set. Want: 2 new rugs, shelving. Chores: Hang all wall stuff, curtains, finish unpacking misc still-boxed items) Doing great! Not as great as I should be though
- Don't die on track

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pipistrelle posted:

Lol I got furloughed 3 hours after making this post. I’d love to get back to these goals, but for now I guess here are my new goals:

1. Don’t get the covid/die

2. Help my boyfriend not get covid/die

3. Walk the dogs everyday

4. Do yoga everyday

5. Don’t use all of my emergency fund before working again

apply for that unemployment ASAP if you haven't already

edit: sorry to hear you are furloughed, that fuckin sucks

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

DJCobol posted:

Updated 2020 Goals:

1) Don't die - so far so good
2) Stay employed - check
3) Don't check stock prices multiple times per day - Fail
4) Try not to cry - only crying a little

Pretty much! :smithicide:

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

apply for that unemployment ASAP if you haven't already

edit: sorry to hear you are furloughed, that fuckin sucks

Yeah it’s the first thing I’m gonna do tomorrow. And no worries, that’s what emergency funds are for!

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
New goals!

Don't die
Don't infect anyone to death

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

howdoesishotweb posted:

2020:

1. Double mortgage principal payment - no
2. Increase 529 contribution by 50%. - done
3. Save 40% of gross between retirement and taxable. Don't stress about saving any more than this. - lol

After an amazing Q1 COVID has tanked our business ~75%. Q2 we will barely make payroll, and I foresee going into work with little to do. Business will (hopefully) pick up Q3/Q4 once quarantine is over, maybe this can be salvaged. Not sure if I’ll pay more mortgage this year, I’ll probably dump extra into VTSAX if we’re still recessioning.

quote:

Non-financial:
1. Work less. - shorter shifts since business is down, may not be necessary. Might still do this for July 4.
2. Find some sort of fitness goal, maybe hire a personal trainer. - nothing really specific just tagging 50 push ups a day onto my normal workout
2b. Now that the holidays are over, stop eating sugary poo poo.
3. Cut down on social media at home

gently caress 2b and 3, 2 kids now homeschooling with my wife who is not enjoying it.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
2020 Financial Goals (March Update)

Yes, I am way behind on getting to this update. March was obviously a crazy month. I got furloughed on March 23, then called back to work on March 26. I am in sales of injection molding machines and robotics; and it turns out this type of equipment is in high demand for PPE manufacturing. Somehow this possibility was lost on our management team, now April is slated to be our best month in a few years. Needless to say between business being totally crazy, working from home with a wife and two kids, I haven't been reading much SA. I did end up changing my strategy a bit. I had some inherited AT&T stock from my grandfather which I sold, not the best timing but I've had this since 1999 so I still made some decent money, Onto my March 2020 update, all numbers are from March 27, 2020:

- Increase cash/emergency fund to $38,000. UPDATE: Currently at $23,540

- Fully fund both mine and my wife 2020 Roth IRA's. Mine will be fully funded by June, wife's in November. UPDATE: My IRA will still be fully funded in June. We may back down on fully funding my wife's this year. With my 401k, my fully funded IRA, and a $40/week contribution to my wife's IRA we are still putting 15% a year into retirement accounts

- Deposit $50 / week into a "fun" money taxable account invested 100% into VOO. Currently stands at around $10,100. Thinking about long term, fun goals for this money. Hawaiian vacation in 2025? Still rocking and rolling. UPDATE: I'll continue to do this through this correction / crash / apocalypse.

- Pay off our second vehicle. Currently $7,200 @ 4.25%. On track, am making the minimum payment until December, then paying off the balance, which should be $4,500, in December

- Increase net worth to $358,000 Decided that this was not the best metric, since so much is tied to market performance, but I'm shooting for this anyways. This continued situation makes this unreachable. No worries, I'll just keep chugging along.

Current assets are:

$23,540 in cash
$49,064 in taxable investments
$407,294 in property (real estate and vehicles)
$47,899 in retirement accounts (401k + Roth IRA's)

Total = $554,797

Current liabilities are:

$6,765 (@4.25%) for a car
$1,285 in credit card (paid off every month)
$1,020 on iPhone upgrade program
$260,141 on my mortgage (@3.75%)

Total = $269,275

Net Worth = $285,522 (-$20,483 from March 1, 2020)

2020 Personal Goals

- Take two consecutive weeks of vacation. I am very fortunate and have 7 weeks of PTO, which I never actually use. Planned for one week of family vacation in August. Remaining time is to be determined
- Do 100 consecutive pushups. Currently at 15. Haven't really focused on this at all, probably still around 15 - 20. UPDATE: Working from home has resulted in me doing at least 50 pushups a day between work tasks.
- Read 50 books. Read 53 in 2019, but I still feel that 50 is enough. Read 5 books in March, I will probably end up reading ~75 books this year
[/quote]

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
2020 Goals:

Current State
- Wife's student loans: 65k left at 1.9% :toot:
- My student loans: 170k, eligible for PSLF in 3 years. Currently 0% interest, no payments until September.
- 1 car loan, 22k @ 3% :toot:
- Mortgage on a 15 year fixed at 3%
- Emergency Fund Funded.

Financial Goals for 2020
- Pay off my wife's student loan ASAP with savings (separate from emergency fund): should be done by February. :toot:
- Pay off car loan ASAP :toot:
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k Done
- Put at least $6k/month in to a taxable account. Upped this to $7k/month, and have been on track since the beginning of the year.
- Save money for our next car Almost fully funded, although I'm going to keep saving to increase our emergency savings.
- Continue maxing out our 401ks/457s - On autopilot
- Continue maxing out our HSA - On autopilot
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September

New Goal:
Figure out if I want to change jobs in the middle of a pandemic, which would immediately result in 1/3 salary increase, potential for 2x my current salary, with the caveat that lol jesus christ is now really the time?

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

DrNewton posted:

I tried joining in mid 2018, but gave up after a month or so. So this year I hope to contribute more.

DrNewton 2020 Financial Goals

First Goal: Get my Student Loan Debt under 8.5K
Currently at: 11,890.82

Secound Goal: Focus on Monthly Goals
January Goal: Update YNAB everyday single day.

Comments
I want to start off with the fact that I make around 10K to 15K a year, give or take. However in 2019 I started to work jobs that allow me a little extra more in income.

As someone who grew up with that spot of not poor but not working class either, having this new income with extra cash in my pocket was exciting and I may gotten a little too excited and made some bad choices. I had my fun, time to go back to my roots.

Goal 1:
I have been paying $250 a month since October which would be 3K a year.
However with daily interest, around 600 - 700 a year is interest alone.
So I want to focus on getting any and all extra income towards paying it off.
My long term goal is to get completely paid off by the end of 2022.
The sooner, the better is what I say.
This will not be an easy task, unless I bust my butt this year, so wish me luck!

Goal 2:
I have fallen off the wagon a bit. Plus I was never the best at keeping it updated, and some months of nearly not updating caused a lot of headache and missed transactions. I refused to refresh the budget because I started taking YNAB more seriously in March 2018 when I moved back home. The reports are showing progress of my growth as an adult, and I don't want to lose it.

My aim by updating everyday is to keep me in check of my goals. Especially if I want to get my own place, and tackle that student loan debt.

Wish me luck!
DrNewton

So I have my student loan down to $10900. I was paying $250 to $500 a month. I do not have to pay the next 6 moths, and it is interest free! So I am putting aside as much money as I can so that when October rolls around, I can start paying it off in large sums instead of the $250. I might even take a risk in the fall and pay it off completely as my net worth is now 2K above my debt! *thank you CERB and one hell of a tax return that was not expected*

I really have gotten into the habit of tracking my expanses again on YNAB. Though I still need to work on impulse buying (mostly junk food for when I go to the movies). Thanks to this quarantine, I am saving a LOT of cash, and when I did budget extra for fun money (to buy art supplies and puzzles!) and strangely getting much more happiness out of it.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Weird month. We had a local outbreak so non-essential shops and services were closed for most of it. My card also expired and for some reason the new one they sent me had a different number, so I had to go around updating everything which was annoying, especially the ones that I forgot and just silently stopped instead of telling me.

On the other hand my job remained secure, and the 2% annual CPI adjustment in our agreement isn't affected by actual CPI, so that's nice. I'll review the budget when the 'real' raise comes through in July. Overall income was down though because I don't get paid during the two-week term break.

[*]Keep to the new budget/save $1200+ a month/spend less on junk food: I didn't keep YNAB up to date until just now, so that was useless. I didn't reach the saving target, but average for the year is still >$1200/mo. I probably spent way too much on junk food again but I haven't itemised the receipts yet. Big red X for this one.
[*]Net worth of $85K: things are bouncing back faster than expected! Up to 74K from 71 last month and 73 two months ago. Combination of retirement funds recovering and spare salary.
[*]Local/sustainable purchases: everything non-essential was shut, and I wanted to reduce outings, so I had fortnightly trips to the big supermarket and a few online purchases. Hopefully the local shops survive now things can re-open.
[*]Get value from health insurance extras: Couldn't go to the dentist, didn't want to go to the optometrist. But I'd only save $10/mo if I dropped it, apparently? I'm sure when I do get my teeth checked it'll cost me a lot more than that.
[*]Make use of my subscriptions: not really, but like I said it was a weird month.
[*]Start planning for retirement: I'll increase my salary sacrificing once working from home is over, sometime this month.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
2020 Financial Goals (April Update)

I've revised all of my 2020 goals to be a bit simpler and reachable considering the current environment (in addition to simplifying my overall strategy).

Goals for 2020:

- Increase emergency fund / cash to $25,000 - currently on track
- Save 15% of our gross income into tax advantaged accounts (9% into my 401k, max out my IRA, remaining into my wife's IRA) - on autopilot
- Pay off my wife' car - I have all payments scheduled to pay this off by the end of the year.

Current assets are:

$24,695 in cash
$55,093 in taxable investments
$416,918 in property (real estate and vehicles)
$88,084 in retirement accounts (401k + Roth IRA's)

Total = $584,790

Current liabilities are:

$6,132 (@4.25%) for a car
$991 in credit card (paid off every month)
$1,020 on iPhone upgrade program
$259,150 on my mortgage (@3.75%)

Total = $267,293

Net Worth = $317,497 (-$1,794 YTD / +$21,360 from March 31, 2020)

2020 Personal Goals

- Take two consecutive weeks of vacation. I am very fortunate and have 7 weeks of PTO, which I never actually use. Planned for one week of family vacation in August. Remaining time is to be determined
- Do 100 consecutive pushups. Currently at 15. Haven't really focused on this at all, probably still around 15 - 20. UPDATE: Working from home has resulted in me doing at least 50 pushups a day between work tasks.
- Read 50 books. Read 53 in 2019, but I still feel that 50 is enough. Read 3 books in April, I will probably end up reading ~75 books this year

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2020 finance goals

- Still no consumer debt
- Grow pension pot from £83k to £95k
- Grow S&S ISA from £4k to £8k
- Increase NW from £100k to £125k

2020 Personal goals
- Lose weight, fatty (I have always been skinny but am now 208lbs, target #1 is to get back to 200 and then convert fat to muscle)
- Run at least twice a week, doing 10k/week by end of Q1
- Have -some- fun whilst I am still relatively young. Last year was great for my bank balance but we never took a holiday away for longer than 4 days. Use some short term savings to have a 2 week break somewhere like South Africa or New Zealand

Caveat: I might buy a house this year in which case all bets are off fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkk :grovertoot:

- No consumer Debt
- £79k
- £5.4k thanks mostly to an inheritance which I dumped into the ISA
- Back to £97k

Personal Goals are being dumped on by lockdown... Haven't run for a week or so because I've been so busy with work and taking my government allocated exercise as a walk instead to keep me sane. Strange year.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Apr update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA On Track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On Track
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Transfer my final prior employer 401k into Vanguard
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy
  • Plan a family Disney trip and save appropriately I want to splurge on this trip because it'll be a huge experience for the kids, and we likely won't do anything this big again for awhile. My wife is wanting to be more reasonable. Still trying to agree on a goal, but we've started saving nonetheless - beginning with our government handout stimulus check.

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month I didn't take a day off, but working from home with the kids means I'm only ever partially working anyway. Repeat of last month.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine
  • Clean up the basement We have piles of stuff to donate, and things to put on shelves. This will likely be done at the halfway mark of the year.
  • Help my wife clean the house one night a week On Track
  • Keep good sleep habits This is shot until things go back to normal.

My boss showed me the raw company financials this week, and we're actually on track to do better this year than last year with most of our additional revenue coming during the lockdowns. I'm less concerned about my job at the end of this month than I was last month. We still probably won't open the office back up until the end of May, and daycares remain for essential workers only, so I'm gearing up for another month of work-from-home-with-kids.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

:kingsley: April Update :kingsley:

1. Increase net worth from 173k to 205k.

167.7k :gibs:

2. Increase emergency fund from 12k to 14k.

3. Contribute $3.1k to Roth IRA.

$1040

4a. If I don't buy a house, raise House Fund from 36.5k to 52k. Failed!

4b. If I do buy a house, put at least 15% down. Failed! I bought a house! With 13% down.

Also I appear to have bought a house at the absolute peak of the market. Ah well. I like it, and I'll be here for awhile.

Currently spending all my money on furnishings. Woo!

New Goals to replace 4a and 4b:

4. By the end of 2020, have made at least 1 extra mortgage payment. ($1240) Stretch goal: 2 extra payments. ($2480)

5. Pay at least 25% extra on each car payment through 2020.

6. No non-auto or mortgage debt in 2020.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

"spinst" posted:

Failed! I bought a house!
Condolences :(

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

moana posted:

Condolences :(

Thank you for your sympathy.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Who knows where the real estate market will be in 20 years (or whatever), but I don’t think you should look at a primary residence as an investment.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
my buy and hold post tax account is back in the green :toot:

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Doccykins posted:

my buy and hold post tax account is back in the green :toot:

Aha 2020 (and covid) are still young. We’ll see what happens when the second or third waves hit this fall and winter.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Alright I guess it's my turn to be that guy itt and ask what I should do with all this extra money.

I have all the basics covered. 6 months of living expenses in rotating CDs, maxing out my 401k, contributions to my HSA have put me at the point that I can hit multiple years of max out of pocket, and I have an extra 15% of principal payments going to my 15-year mortgage payments each month. I still have a large sum of money coming through at the end of each month and I'm basically at the point where I don't know what to do with it. I'm considering upping my mortgage payments with the idea of paying it off entirely as soon as possible- as eliminating my largest monthly expenditure will make the rest of my life way easier. However I don't want to put all of my eggs in that basket, but the problem is I don't know what else to do with the money. My current 401k contributions should have me more than prepared for retirement, so I'm not sure if I want to start putting the money into long term investments, but even if I did I don't at all feel comfortable with making any investments until we return to some semblance of sanity.

I guess I'm looking for ideas for additional financial goals?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
How much higher do you want stock prices to be before you're comfortable buying?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
aint nothin wrong with paying off your mortgage if the rate's high enough

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How much higher do you want stock prices to be before you're comfortable buying?

Like I said my 401k is already in the market. If I'm going to be making short-medium term investments I'm in no way comfortable with how anything is going right now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

aint nothin wrong with paying off your mortgage if the rate's high enough

For the time being my plan is to put half of my excess each month into the principal and the other half into my high yield savings. Eventually I'm going to be sitting on enough for another down payment for a house so I'm trying to work out some sort of goal to work towards.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Like I said my 401k is already in the market. If I'm going to be making short-medium term investments I'm in no way comfortable with how anything is going right now.

For the time being my plan is to put half of my excess each month into the principal and the other half into my high yield savings. Eventually I'm going to be sitting on enough for another down payment for a house so I'm trying to work out some sort of goal to work towards.

I can already tell that a trip to the Long Term investing thread is in order!

Is your plan specifically to save up for a down payment on a second house? Or are you saying that before too long you will have saved up that amount of money, and want to find a good use for it?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah I'm more looking for another financial goal since everything I need is pretty much covered.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Yeah I'm more looking for another financial goal since everything I need is pretty much covered.
Honestly, being in a position like this is a pretty good reason to either buy a jetski or just dump it into investment assets to match your appetite and expected timeframe. If you don't need it for anything, then what does it matter if it's in equities being volatile?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Are you also maxing out a Roth? Do that next.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

SlapActionJackson posted:

Are you also maxing out a Roth? Do that next.

I contributed while I still could but I'm over the income limit for that now

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I contributed while I still could but I'm over the income limit for that now
Have I got good news for you, my friend. There's no such thing as a limit if you've got no money in your Traditional IRAs.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Ok assume that I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I thought that past the income limit it was an either/or situation. And since the 401k allows me to contribute way more that seems like the better option. Is that not right?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Ok assume that I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I thought that past the income limit it was an either/or situation. And since the 401k allows me to contribute way more that seems like the better option. Is that not right?
You can do both. If you have no money in any Traditional IRAs, you can contribute $X to a Traditional IRA as "after tax non-deductible" contributions, then immediately convert them into Roth funds. This is legal and cool. Google "Backdoor Roth IRA" or I'm sure somebody else will give you a more involved explanation.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Specifically, "backdoor roth" is the magic phrase to google.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Ooooh. Yeah I've heard of those but my mind immediately blanked it out because as soon as things start veering away from the very simple and straightforward investing strategy I have I assume it's a bad idea. I'll look into that

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Ooooh. Yeah I've heard of those but my mind immediately blanked it out because as soon as things start veering away from the very simple and straightforward investing strategy I have I assume it's a bad idea. I'll look into that
The good news is that it doesn't change your investment strategy, it's just another bucket to dump money into.

I do recommend you head on over to the long-term investing thread with further questions. It's a more trafficked thread and you'll get much more information in there.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 22, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Cool. So I guess going forward I'm making larger principal payments on the mortgage, backdoor roth, and putting a rooftop patio on my place. Excellent. I like this. Thanks, thread!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Things are pretty hosed but being a student not reliant on working income I'm actually in okay shape. I'm most worried about not being able to get a job in September and my siblings who live with me having the same issue, so income will be a problem in maybe 6 months but right now it's okay.

March update:

1. I'm not gonna get to go rallying for at least 4-5 months, maybe for the whole year depending on the state of the world and my job prospects :(

2. Savings is down to $2,500, I had to use my tax return to offset the income I never received from my sister and buy a new set of tires for my truck. Yeah, so my sister lied for some reason about having a job so not only did I not get any money from her for the 5 weeks she was "working", but also I was paying for daycare needlessly. Pretty annoyed with her but financially it wasn't too big an impact.

3. In May when I receive my scholarships/funding I'll still be paying off my CC, gonna defer the $1,800 consumer loan until just before it begins accruing interest in January because of the uncertain state of the world/finances.

4. Degree is absolutely out at this point, now I'm just hoping I can get a job lined up in September.

I'll be receiving some incomes from the Canadian government as part of it's CERB bill even though I'm not working, basically because I'm a low income single parent. I'll be using that to beef up my savings in May (to about $5,500 my budget says), so between that and the CC I should have a pretty comfortable buffer in case I can't get a job in September. Ideally my siblings would find work or one of us would qualify for some kind of regular income from CERB or what it may evolve into, but I'm not holding my breath for that. Hoping for the best, planning for the worst right now.

Didn't really do an April update on May 1 because I was crazy busy with school and had no idea what was going to happen moneywise. I'll do an early May update instead of both April + May because everything just fell into place the last few days.

1. Next rally event is slated for June 20 :toot:

2. Got my scholarships, and Canada implemented a new funding program for students which is very generous for me. Savings is currently at $5k, will be able to increase that to $10k by the end of the semester I think!

3. CC is :siren:paid off!!!:siren: This is a huge accomplishment for me, I haven't been credit card debt free since probably 2011? Consumer loan I'm still sitting on because I'd rather build up my savings a bit in light of the current financial uncertainty, and it's not accruing interest. Feeling like I just took a big step forward on the road to debt freedom though, really I only have my student loan now.

4. I applied anyway and was accepted to the degree program. Still don't think it's financially prudent to go right now :sigh:. Next years goal will be to pay down the student loan as aggressively as possible (maybe entirely?) and then think about going back for another 2 years to obtain my degree. It all depends on what field of engineering I go into really.

Now I need to find a job for September. Only once I do that will I feel secure, the global financial situation still has me feeling nervous. I took some big steps forward this month though and feel great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
E:f;b

Look into a backdoor Roth if you don’t have a traditional IRA.

Either dump into VTSAX now or keep everything HYSA until the market dips to where you want to buy. If you’re buying for the truly long term the volatility of the last couple months shouldn’t bother you.

There’s never anything wrong with paying down a mortgage, it’s just the yield is a little lower. It’s a good feeling having a monthly bill wiped away