Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Q3 goals:
1) maintain good relationship while living with inlaws for 2 weeks it was quite pleasant actually
2) move around w/out killing each other success!!
3) move around without spending more than $1,500 on this stupid process bigly success, it cost us just under $500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

August update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA On Track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On Track
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Transfer my final prior employer 401k into Vanguard
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy Still encouraging her to just go for it.
  • Plan a family Disney trip and save appropriately

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month Took a few days off for our annual trip to Cedar Point.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine
  • Clean up the basement Redirected this effort to fixing up the office. I'll be working from home for much longer, so I needed it.
  • Help my wife clean the house one night a week On Track
  • Keep good sleep habits I lack the discipline to be consistent in this, and I'm not sure what would motivate me to change.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
What exactly do you want to do for your sleep habits? Phone away at a certain time? Getting to bed by a certain time?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of July:

- No consumer debt
- £82.2k Pension
- £7.3k ISA, this is massively on target now for £8k by end of year and I'm here for it
- £108k NW
:grovertoot: With up to £15k Stamp Duty relief and Coronas meaning I won't be back in the office until at least January 2021 (and then probably only rarely as I can WFH effectively) we are upping our search for a house to near my partner's parents on the south coast whilst keeping her flat in London so we can get much better value. Everyone else in the country has also probably thought of doing this :grovertoot:

End of August:

- No consumer debt
- £83.5k Pension
- £7.5k ISA
- £109k NW
:grovertoot: Found a place on Saturday that we really liked and put an offer in :grovertoot:

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
2020 Financial Goals (August Update)

I've revised all of my 2020 goals to be a bit simpler and reachable considering the current environment (in addition to simplifying my overall strategy).

Goals for 2020:

- Increase emergency fund / cash to $25,000 - currently exceeded, but just barely.
- Save 15% of our gross income into tax advantaged accounts (9% into my 401k, max out my IRA, remaining into my wife's IRA) - on autopilot
- Pay off my wife' car - Done

Current assets are:

$25,194 in cash (7/31 was $33,638, paid off my wife's car and paid for our vacation in August)
$67,002 in taxable investments (7/31 was $60,658)
$421,667 in property (real estate and vehicles) / (7/31 was $435,148)
$109,890 in retirement accounts (401k + Roth IRA's) / (7/31 was $102,020)

Total = $623,753 (7/31 was $631,664)

Current liabilities are:

$2,543 in credit card (paid off every month)
$771 on iPhone upgrade program
$257,707 on my mortgage (@3.75%)

Total = $261,021

Net Worth = $362,732 (7/31 was $366,059)

(+$49,432 YTD / - $3,327 from 7/31)

Most (all?) of this drop is due to the decrease in the estimated value of my home. If I run the same calculation, omitting all property, then I was + ~$9,500 for August 2020.

2020 Personal Goals

- Take two consecutive weeks of vacation. I am very fortunate and have 7 weeks of PTO, which I never actually use. Took a full week in August. Need to use ~23 more days this year with nothing planned at the moment.
- Do 100 consecutive pushups. Currently at 15. Haven't really focused on this at all, probably still around 15 - 20. UPDATE: Working from home has resulted in me doing at least 50 pushups a day between work tasks.
- Read 50 books. Read 53 in 2019, but I still feel that 50 is enough. Read 4 books (Clean Hands, The Total Money Makeover, The Rich Employee, Complete Guide to Software Development) in August, I will probably end up reading ~60 books this year

Sock The Great fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 31, 2020

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

moana posted:

What exactly do you want to do for your sleep habits? Phone away at a certain time? Getting to bed by a certain time?

I have a time to go to bed and time to wake up in mind. On weekdays, I'm usually pretty good about meeting those times - largely because I have to get the kids ready in the morning, so they can get to daycare/preschool on time. It's the weekends when I really screw up. Staying up late to catch up on work or other things that I couldn't get to during the week, and then sleeping in the next day.

I know that consistency is very good for sleep health, but I can never keep it because of aforementioned weekend behavior. I know that having young kids randomly waking me up in the middle of the night isn't conducive to good sleep either. Perhaps my goal isn't realistic, and I should shift it to something easier to achieve - "Make sure the kids are never late to school because I couldn't wake up in the morning" (which I'm definitely meeting).

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
  • Keep to the new budget/save $1200+ a month/spend less on junk food: Failure on all counts. I didn't update YNAB until the 30th and I spent too much on snacks. Naively, the bank account change was -500 instead of +1200. But that last one is due to three things - cycling & fitness tracker replacements, accommodation costs for a work event that I'll get repaid for this month, and August is when I first moved into this unit so a bunch of fees like contents insurance and electricity sync up. So I'm not too concerned for next month. It has dragged the average down to $1100, though.
  • Net worth of $85K $100K: 84.5K to 87K, thanks to retirement funds and the shares I didn't think about. I probably won't reach $100K at this rate but hey, it was a bonus goal.
  • Local/sustainable purchases: I'm doing the Harbor Freight strategy, I bought various cheap but shoddy things from the big stores, and if I use them enough to wear them out I'll get proper ones. I would have bought some things from the bike shop two blocks away but I never felt welcome there so screw 'em.
  • Get value from health insurance extras: Fuuuuck
  • Start planning for retirement Increase retirement savings rate:I think I'm doing ~20% now without too much effort. It'll probably stay at that level until I buy a house in a year or so, so I guess this goal is done for now.
  • Buy a bike: A family member loaned/gave me a bike they weren't using. Unlike my old one it's good enough for now so getting a fancy replacement isn't as urgent. I've started putting money into a 'new bike' budget line, but I don't know that it'll happen this year. I did buy various future-proof accessories, including a new bike computer, and I decided to ditch my dying fitbit for a Garmin smartwatch. Definitely splurged but it's a one off. New hobbies aren't that expensive, right? Anyway, I only added this goal last month but I don't think it needs to stay.

Late edit: I forgot I did my tax a while back! I only got $20 back (though isn't getting $0 back the ideal scenario?) but it also meant the money the gov takes from each paycheck for my university loan actually got put towards the loan, which I forgot about. No effect on the bank balances, but the debt decrease upped last month's net worth by $3K, so I went 81->88->90, after rounding. Maybe I can reach six figures before 2021 after all!

uvar fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 2, 2020

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I have a time to go to bed and time to wake up in mind. On weekdays, I'm usually pretty good about meeting those times - largely because I have to get the kids ready in the morning, so they can get to daycare/preschool on time. It's the weekends when I really screw up. Staying up late to catch up on work or other things that I couldn't get to during the week, and then sleeping in the next day.
With kids it's so much harder, yeah. I've found better luck with telling myself to wake up early to do the work - it's a lot easier for me to say "oh that work isn't THAT important" when it means I have to get out of bed. Staying up late I just end up dicking around with stuff that isn't all that important.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

These posts are getting shorter and shorter as I complete or give up on goals (or just have nothing new to say).

• Keep to the new budget/save $1200+ a month/spend less on junk food: Only updated the budget just now and found a reconciliation error that dated back months - less than $50 but I've definitely got lazier about tracking things if I didn't spot it earlier. Saved ~2400 I think, I just didn't buy a lot this month. Definitely spent too much on junk food.
  • Net worth of $85K $100K: 90-92. It's going to be close! I reckon I'll succeed unless the US election screws with whatever investments my retirement fund has got.
  • Local/sustainable purchases: Compared to last month's Garmin splurge I didn't really buy anything significant. I could do with a new pair of work boots I suppose. I feel kind of bad about this goal but then considering the amount of rubbish (and recycling) I produce each week, my life is pretty 'sustainable' already. Or at least it could be a lot worse.
  • Get value from health insurance extras: New contact lenses are waiting to be picked up, and I booked a dentist checkup this month well after I should have had one, which based on my paranoia will result in at least two fillings and this goal will be a success even if my mouth isn't. I think I'm happier paying a little extra each month to know my past dental idiocy isn't going to result in a sudden huge bill.
  • Some other completed/obsolete goals removed - still happy with my cheap bike and retirement saving rate, still not house-buying yet

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Q4 Update:

2020 Responsible Goals:
- Max 401k (Just registered, let's see how it jibes with my expenses) On Track
- Max ROTH IRA (DONE) Have $5k set aside so far to dump in on Jan 1, will get to max by Dec
- Invest what I can now that my potential down payment/emergency fund is stable I've been keeping too much money in cash in the event I or someone I care about needs a buffer
- Spend < $50/mo on alcohol In this economy? Typically more like $80-100
- Spend < $40/mo on games Bumped this up to $60 because I spend less than 10 hours a week outside my apartment

2020 Fun Goals:
- Go on a vacation Absolutely nixed for this year. On the plus side, I'll have 4 weeks going into next year, and my yearly leave is being increased to 6 weeks, so I'll have pleeeenty of time to not take vacation next year.
- Pick up a new hobby Getting better at cooking

2020 Non-Financial Goals
- Get to the gym 3+ times per week Failed miserably
- Keep up with personal log failed miserably
- Furnish new apartment (Need: New Couch, entertainment unit, dining set. Want: 2 new rugs, shelving. Chores: Hang all wall stuff, curtains, finish unpacking misc still-boxed items) Hung a bunch of stuff, got the new couch and dining set. 1 extra rug to go, nixing the shelving because I don't need more room to store junk

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
2020 Q3 Update:

Current State
- Wife's student loans: 65k left at 1.9% :toot:
- My student loans: 170k, eligible for PSLF in 3 years. Currently 0% interest, no payments until September. January!
- 1 car loan, 22k @ 3% :toot:
- Mortgage on a 15 year fixed at 3%
- Emergency Fund Funded.

Financial Goals for 2020:
- Pay off my wife's student loan ASAP with savings (separate from emergency fund): should be done by February. :toot:
- Pay off car loan ASAP :toot:
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k Done
- Put at least $6k/month in to a taxable account. Upped this to $7k/month, and have been on track since the beginning of the year/through COVID so far.
- Save money for our next car Funded this, then spent it on a replacement car for my wife. And then I also used my "fun car" savings to buy a fun car. Whoops.
- Continue maxing out our 401ks/457s - On autopilot
- Continue maxing out our HSA - On autopilot
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September Done
- Figure out if I want to change jobs in the middle of a pandemic, which would immediately result in 1/3 salary increase, potential for 2x my current salary, with the caveat that lol jesus christ is now really the time? Ended up turning down this job. Got a bit of a bonus/raise at my current job, if our system breaks even. Will re-evaluate next year? Got the bonus, went in to savings/investments.

End of the year goals:
- Continue saving as above
- Thank my lucky stars we've been doing okay this year

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 1, 2020

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of August:

- No consumer debt
- £83.5k Pension
- £7.5k ISA
- £109k NW
:grovertoot: Found a place on Saturday that we really liked and put an offer in :grovertoot:

End of September

- No consumer debt
- £ 83.5k Pension
- £ 7.5k ISA
- £109k NW

Absolutely treading water with the finances because I'm growing a large cash position right now, plus on a personal goals win we managed to get away at the start of September for a whole two weeks in Italy (Naples/Capri/Sorrento/Ravello/Rome) It was :krad: because all of the tourist traps were empty and I feel so much better having had a definitive 'I am not reading emails' Out of Office and not worrying about the pennies for the whole thing.

:grovertoot: The offer got accepted (after the third attempt), which is why the long term financial goals are treading water because I need cash to paint my house with!! On the long road to exchange/completion :grovertoot: :grovertoot:

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Sept Update

1. Increase net worth from 173k to 205k.

2. Increase emergency fund from 12k to 14k.

As noted previously, I elected to have my drainage system redone. The work just finished yesterday, so I'll be receiving the other half of the bill... imminently. ~3.3k will be taken out of here.

3. Contribute $3.1k to Roth IRA.

$2360. On track.

4. By the end of 2020, have made at least 1 extra mortgage payment. Met! Stretch goal: 2 extra mortgage payments.

1.6 extra mortgage payments made.

5. Pay an average of 25% extra on each car payment through 2020.

Averaging 33% extra per car payment.

6. No non-auto or mortgage debt in 2020.

Yep.

Pretty ho-hum month other than the drainage work.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

cheese eats mouse posted:

I sold a bike and had some good fortune on the work end so I paid an extra 2,000. My credit score went up ~12pts in July.

August Starting
CC balance: $2,515 (5,000 in July) (500/m on track)
Medical debt: $1,123 (103/m on track)
Consolidation Loan: $4,247 (253/m on track)
Student Loans: $18,355 (296/m on track)

Emergency savings: $5,645 (+310)

I have increased my Roth contribution this month an extra $50/m

$7,480 of $13,100 of retirement goal for this year.

October Starting
CC balance: $1,674
Medical debt: $897
Consolidation Loan: $3800
Student Loans: $17902

Emergency savings: $5703 of $6k goal for EOY

Retirement: $11,205 of $13,100 (300/m)

Going to concentrate on the CC balance and increase my IRA to 500/m, which will end my year.
Next year will be keeping my 401k contribution at 10% of salary, attempting to max my 2020 IRA before April, the last of the consolidation loan, and maxing 2021 IRA.

My credit score is now in the lower 800s. Don't really care anymore about it.

Still need to take care of my records and record player and I have one last grouping of furniture to sell in my downsizing.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

September update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy Part of the below basement cleanup is giving her a dedicated space for working. She's getting excited and motivated by it. I'm not sure if she'll have made money be the end of the year, but I believe she'll have started focusing on what she wants to be selling in 2021.

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month Took the kids to the zoo on a Monday. My son's first zoo trip, and he loved the giraffes (and then threw a tantrum when we told him he couldn't watch the giraffes the entire time we were there).
  • Clean up the basement Made some great progress this month. Got some rugs down there and new furniture; and packed up a bunch of stuff we don't want and scheduled a Salvation Army pickup.
  • Keep good sleep habits Per last month's update and discussion, this wasn't a good goal. I'll make it more realistic and actionable for next year's thread.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
2020 Financial Goals (September Update)

I've revised all of my 2020 goals to be a bit simpler and reachable considering the current environment (in addition to simplifying my overall strategy).

Goals for 2020:

- Increase emergency fund / cash to $25,000 - currently exceeded, but just barely.
- Save 15% of our gross income into tax advantaged accounts (9% into my 401k, max out my IRA, remaining into my wife's IRA) - on autopilot

Current assets are:

$30, 410 in cash (was $25,194 on 8/30)
$64,991 in taxable investments (was $67,002 on 8/30)
$428,430 in property (was $421,667 on 8/30)
$108,672 in retirement ( was $109,890 o n 8/30)

Total = $632,503 (was $623,753 on 8/30)

Current liabilities are:

$6,420 in credit card (paid off every month)
$711 on iPhone upgrade program
$257,215 on my mortgage (@3.75%)

Total = $264,346

Net Worth = $368,156 (was $362,732 on 8/30)

(+$55,337 YTD / + $5,424 from 8/30)

Most (all?) of this drop is due to the decrease in the estimated value of my home. If I run the same calculation, omitting all property, then I was + ~$9,500 for August 2020.

2020 Personal Goals

- Take two consecutive weeks of vacation. I am very fortunate and have 7 weeks of PTO, which I never actually use. Took a full week in August. Need to use ~23 more days this year with nothing planned at the moment.
- Do 100 consecutive pushups. Currently at 15. Haven't really focused on this at all, probably still around 15 - 20. UPDATE: Working from home has resulted in me doing at least 50 pushups a day between work tasks.
- Read 50 books. Read 53 in 2019, but I still feel that 50 is enough. Read 3 books (My Life in Advertising, The Three Body Problem, and The Dark Forest) in September, I will probably end up reading ~60 books this year

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
After a lovely Q2 and an okay Q3, Q4 should be ballin.

2020:

1. Double mortgage principal payment. Probably will do as lump at EOY
2. Increase 529 contribution by 50%. On track
3. Save 40% of gross between retirement and taxable. Don't stress about saving any more than this. should happen

Non-financial:
1. Work less. so far so good
2. Find some sort of fitness goal, maybe hire a personal trainer. good enough
2b. Now that the holidays are over, stop eating sugary poo poo. lol
3. Cut down on social media at home. good enough though homeschooling is screwing this up

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
2020 Financial Goals (October Update)

Goals for 2020:

- Increase emergency fund / cash to $25,000 - currently exceeded.

Current assets are:

$33,317 in cash (was $30,410 on 9/30)
$66,252 in taxable investments (was $64,991 on 9/30)
$430,270 in property (was $428,430 on 9/30)
$108,453 in retirement ( was $108,672 o n 9/30)

Total = $638,292 (was $623,753 on 8/30)

Current liabilities are:

$8,976 in credit card (paid off every month)
$650 on iPhone upgrade program
$256,715 on my mortgage (@3.75%)

Total = $266,841

Net Worth = $371,451 (was $368,156 on 9/30)

(+$57,120 YTD / + $3,295 from 9/30)

In the process of refinancing my mortgage, so I am carrying a bit more cash than usual to cover closing costs.

2020 Personal Goals

- Take two consecutive weeks of vacation. I am very fortunate and have 7 weeks of PTO, which I never actually use. Took a full week in August. Need to use ~15.5 more days this year with nothing planned at the moment. My employer has offered to buy some time back from me, so I should cash an unexpected $3,000 check sometime before the end of the year.
- Read 50 books. Read 53 in 2019, but I still feel that 50 is enough. Read 3 books (Death's End, The $100 Start Up, and Wherever You Go There You Are) in October, I will probably end up reading ~60 books this year
[/quote]

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

October update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month It's been another slow couple weeks at work, so a lot of not actually working while working from home.
  • Clean up the basement There are still things to sort and organize, but the kids are playing down there and it's comfortable. Very happy with this one!
  • Keep good sleep habits

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
  • Keep to the new budget/save $1200+ a month/spend less on junk food: Who knows? The big pile of receipts on my desk and the outdated YNAB file sure don't. Another term break fairly recently so probably not.
  • Net worth of $85K $100K: 93.5k, less than a thousand up. December is a three-payslip month, could it really come down to the wire? Probably not.
  • Get value from health insurance extras: Picked up 6 months of contact lenses, pretty much hitting the annual limit there. Two fillings last month, two more this month, but they pay half-ish and there's no annual limit there. Terrible news but at least it worked out financially. Thanks for not caring about your teeth, 20s me!
  • Some other completed/obsolete goals removed

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
2020 Financial Goals (November Update)

Goals for 2020:

Current assets are:

$28,506 in cash (was $33,317 on 10/30)
$76,641 in taxable investments (was $66,252 on 10/30)
$445,039 in property (was $430,270 on 10/30)
$122,671 in retirement ( was $108,453 on 10/30)

Total = $672,857 (was $638,292 on 10/30)

Current liabilities are:

$4,861 in credit card (paid off every month)
$1,398 on iPhone upgrade program
$263,092 on my mortgage (@2.99%, closed on a refinance this month)

Total = $269,351

Net Worth = $403,506 (was $371,451 on 10/30)

(+$55,029 YTD)

Passed a pretty significant milestone this month. Since keeping up with the Long Term Investing and the Financial Goals thread (started 9/2018) I have increased my net worth (not counting real estate) by more than $100,000; if I count the appreciation on my home then it's over $130,000. All of these gains are only on paper, but I know I am on the right track.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Technically the way I've been doing things, this is my update for December, and the last one for 2020. Except obviously December just started. I imagine this thread will stay open long enough for me to post my "January 2021" update that actually finishes the year.

I sold the last of my shares. The stock market has already gone up more since I did, but I was getting increasingly anxious about coronavirus and the economy and all that stuff, plus they'd already gone up enough over the year+ I had them, so whatever. (I didn't touch the retirement account of course.) Nice to not have to worry about it, my monthly 'net worth' spreadsheet is so fast to update compared to when I started it, nine accounts down to four.
  • Keep to the new budget/save $1200+ a month/spend less on junk food: The pile of receipts has only grown. I've been pretty healthy and banned myself from pizzas early on until December so junk food might have been okay. Saving this month is hard to tell because of the share money transferring and I don't care enough to calculate the real value.
  • Net worth of $85K $100K: $98.9k. :toot: Which sounds like I just missed the bonus goal. Except that I still have all of December left, a three-payslip month this year, and even if it wasn't I'm not planning anything special so it'd be practically impossible to not smash the target by New Year's Eve. My original goal seems pessimistic in hindsight! Come on six figures!
  • Get value from health insurance extras: Finished with the fillings and one other treatment. Insurance only paid about half of each line item, which is less than I originally assumed, but overall I still saved money. Hopefully the next checkup in six months or so isn't as costly.
  • Some other completed/obsolete goals removed

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of September

- No consumer debt
- £ 83.5k Pension
- £ 7.5k ISA
- £109k NW

Absolutely treading water with the finances because I'm growing a large cash position right now, plus on a personal goals win we managed to get away at the start of September for a whole two weeks in Italy (Naples/Capri/Sorrento/Ravello/Rome) It was :krad: because all of the tourist traps were empty and I feel so much better having had a definitive 'I am not reading emails' Out of Office and not worrying about the pennies for the whole thing.

:grovertoot: The offer got accepted (after the third attempt), which is why the long term financial goals are treading water because I need cash to paint my house with!! On the long road to exchange/completion :grovertoot: :grovertoot:

oh god I missed an end of October update as well :eng99:

End of November

- No consumer debt
- £85k pension
- £8k ISA
- £115k NW

:grovertoot: Good god buying a house is a painfully drawn out process, should be completing on Friday 11th though :grovertoot: :grovertoot:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

November update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month My wife had outpatient surgery, so I took 2 days off to help her recover.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine I finally started working on a silly idea I've been noodling on. This won't be close to done this year, though.
  • Clean up the basement
  • Keep good sleep habits

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
2020 is almost over! Alive and socially starving. This loving year.

Potrzebie posted:

Goals for 2020:

The car will be sold as soon as we've replaced the battery. We first sold it to my parents, but mums rapid decline ment that they had 0 use for it and so we unsold it.
-No. With corona wreaking everything we're keeping the car for now so that we can travel when needed. No one wants to buy it anyway.
keeping car some more

Gonna keep not buying lunches during work days 2020.
-So far so good. Did pay for one lunch to see off my boss who is currently on parental leave.
Not really leaving the house anymore so...

Keep a savings ratio of 30+% take home pay, aim for 40+%. Not counting pension savings as they are mandatory in Sweden, also not counting the additional pension savings that is part of my employment benefits.
-So far so good. Been socking away around 40%.
Savings solidly at around 0% for half the year, so it'll end up at just shy of 20%.

Do a good. I'm going to raise money for the Swedish blood cancer fund, hoping to raise $2000 for the year.
-This started off spectacularily. Met my goal for the year in q1.
Closing in on $4500

Keep running to and from work erry day. This saves money like hell on car/buss pass.
No buss. Running because what else can I do? 4,646.4 km so far

Replace the main fuses to the house. We're over-fused and that is just stupid as the utilities company charges us extra for a thing we don't need.
-I keep forgetting to do this.
God drat it. I never remember.

And lastly, get a substantial raise. 2019 I got 0% raise and that is bullshit. Get a raise or get a new job with better pay.
-FAIL. They suggested a paltry "raise" that was not even at inflation rate. Managed to convey the message that if they really don't appreciate my work neither of us should be interested in me staying. Got a lame 2% raise. Plan to take time off work to go back to school and study IT project management, but in these times so might 20.000 others poor sods who lost their jobs so who knows if I'll get in. We'll see. So far employed and not hating it. Not going to risk anything in this economic climate.

Still in school, crushing it. Looking for internships for 2021 in the middle of 2:nd wave pandemic. lol.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

moana posted:

2020 Goals
Hit most of my goals: Got a piano, passed my CFP exam, kept a daily journal, maxed my 401k.

And I finished my pet project novel, woo

but seriously gently caress this year, can't wait for it to be over.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
2020 Q4 Update:

Current State
- Wife's student loans: 65k left at 1.9% :toot:
- My student loans: 170k, eligible for PSLF in 3 years. Currently 0% interest, no payments until September. January! February!
- 1 car loan, 22k @ 3% :toot:
- Mortgage on a 15 year fixed at 3%
- Emergency Fund Funded.

Financial Goals for 2020:
- Pay off my wife's student loan ASAP with savings (separate from emergency fund): should be done by February. :toot:
- Pay off car loan ASAP :toot:
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k Done
- Put at least $6k/month in to a taxable account. Upped this to $7k/month, and was able to do this throughout the entire year
- Save money for our next car Funded this, then spent it on a replacement car for my wife. And then I also used my "fun car" savings to buy a fun car. Currently saving for the next car in a few years.
- Continue maxing out our 401ks/457s - Done on autopilot
- Continue maxing out our HSA - Done on autopilot
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September Done
- Figure out if I want to change jobs in the middle of a pandemic, which would immediately result in 1/3 salary increase, potential for 2x my current salary, with the caveat that lol jesus christ is now really the time? Ended up turning down this job. Got a bit of a bonus/raise at my current job, if our system breaks even. Will re-evaluate next year? Got the bonus, went in to savings/investments. My wife and I are considering maybe making a job change at some point.
- Continue saving as above
- Thank my lucky stars we've been doing okay this year

Really, I just want to genuinely thank everyone here that has posted over the past few years. Ever since I've been doing these posts, my wife and I have been on a fairly aggressive debt payoff strategy for her med school loans. With the help of this forum and having a strategy that we've been able to stick to, I'm happy to say that our net worth has shifted from being negative hundreds of thousands of dollars to finally crossing a pretty meaningful threshold over the past few weeks. Thank you everyone.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 6, 2020

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

cheese eats mouse posted:

October Starting
CC balance: $1,674
Medical debt: $897
Consolidation Loan: $3800
Student Loans: $17902

Emergency savings: $5703 of $6k goal for EOY

Retirement: $11,205 of $13,100 (300/m)

Going to concentrate on the CC balance and increase my IRA to 500/m, which will end my year.
Next year will be keeping my 401k contribution at 10% of salary, attempting to max my 2020 IRA before April, the last of the consolidation loan, and maxing 2021 IRA.

My credit score is now in the lower 800s. Don't really care anymore about it.

Still need to take care of my records and record player and I have one last grouping of furniture to sell in my downsizing.

December
CC balance: $1,056. My Amex card is now shredded.
Medical debt: $691
Consolidation loan is about $3k? I need to get my account with my old credit union unlocked cause I forgot my PW. There's a lot of friction causing me to slack on this. So I'll make it my last goal for December
Student loans: $17452
Emergency savings: $5500. I need to get this back up
Retirement: $13,421 of $13,100. I'm halfway to maxing my 2020 Roth. Will end the year at about $14,500 saved.
Credit score is at 819
Sold the furniture! Records and record player are next.

Best part of this year was this. Now that I see what I can do I'm really starting to change my mindset. I also paid off 20k of debt so now I don't have that debt to siphon away my savings.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 10, 2020

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I apparently never posted in the beginning of the year. But I blew what would have been those goals out of the water. In January, my goals would have been:

• Max IRA
  • Max 401k
  • Push to high 40% savings rate (haven't been able to break 45%) and any extra to a brokerage account, as I've been doing
  • Get a raise at work

Here's what happened
  • Max IRA
  • Max 401k
  • 52% savings rate
  • :yotj: for a 30% raise
  • Started saving for a house
  • Hit half my leanFIRE number

Feels pretty good.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Very nice!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Original goals
2020 Financial:
Max 401k - yup, got about $13.5k in matching money too so this was success
Max IRA - success
Max wife IRA - wife did not get new job so did not have any taxable income, but we did put $8k in taxable instead
Wife get new job no sad :(
Move to new city lol no

New goals post covid:
1a) Don't die success
1b) wife don't die either success
1c) don' t kill each other success
2) Keep Job Success. success kept job, no raises or bonuses but we did get our deferred salary paid back. didn't lay anyone off despite being down ~40% in rev YoY.
3) Go outside every day not success but getting most days at least
4) Do some inside non-screen hobby every day not Success very much not success unless we count exercise and household chores.
5) Run 3-4x week success, getting 3-4 days week of exercise although a lot more indoor exercise
6) wife graduate and not go insane success although hard right now as job search is very frustrating... she is doing good and i am proud of her perseverance and spirit!

at one point we had a NW goal and I haven't really been tracking against that, but we be crushin up like 200k over prior year, which would feel good if it wasn't a reflection of the horrible inequality of the us economy!!!

new goals for 2021 will be interesting.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

End of 2020 Update

1. Increase net worth from 173k to 205k.

202k. Close! I can't believe my net worth is over 200k!

2. Increase emergency fund from 12k to 14k.

14k. Goal met!

3. Contribute $3.1k to Roth IRA.

$3.1k. Goal met!

4. By the end of 2020, have made at least 1 extra mortgage payment. Met! Stretch goal: 2 extra mortgage payments.

2.1 extra mortgage payments made. Goal met!

5. Pay an average of 25% extra on each car payment through 2020.

Goal met!

6. No non-auto or mortgage debt in 2020.

Goal met!

A better year than I expected!

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
2020 Financial Goals (December / Year End Update)

Goals for 2020:

Current assets are:

$38,738 in cash (was $28,506 on 11/30)
$79,950 in taxable investments (was $76,641 on 11/30)
$454,483 in property (was $445,039 on 11/30)
$129,583 in retirement ( was $122,671 on 11/30)

Total = $702,754 (was $672,857 on 11/30)

Current liabilities are:

$5,090 in credit card (paid off every month)
$1,398 on iPhone upgrade program
$262,497 on my mortgage (@2.99%)

Total = $268,926

Net Worth = $433,828 (was $403,506 on 11/30)

(+$75,312 YTD)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

EOY update

Not a bad year, all things considered.

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA
  • 50/month into kids' 529s
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck Halfway there. I opened an HSA with Fidelity, but having a heck of a time getting my employer's HSA provider to transfer my money
  • Transfer my final prior employer 401k into Vanguard I didn't do this one. My former employer's 401k servicer will only send me a check that I then have to send to Vanguard. I'd normally be okay with this, but with USPS being how it is right now, I don't trust it. I'm not getting eaten by fees or anything, so I'll wait until next year.
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy Her focus was elsewhere this year, so we'll try again next year.

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month This month I took some days off for the holiday. Overall, I did pretty well this year on this goal.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine I have some in progress work, but it's not done.
  • Clean up the basement
  • Help my wife clean the house one night a week
  • Keep good sleep habits

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

What a roller coaster of a year. I was doing alright, and then at the end of the year my company got acquired and our stock options were paid out. Then, they gave me a very sizable (to me) deal bonus worth mid-5 figures. That obviously changed some things and put me in a much, much better position to start the new year.

Omne posted:

1. No new consumer debt. COMPLETE. Managed to avoid new debt. We used zero percent interest offers every now and then, but tended to pay them off super quick.
2. Get emergency fund back to $10k. COMPLETE. This was sitting at $12k prior to my bonus, so I put more in after my bonus and it now sits at $20k.
3. Student loan down to $5000. COMPLETE. Sitting at $4500. This will get knocked out super quick next year.
4. Pay cash for Ireland. INCOMPLETE. COVID-19 ruined the trip before it began. I was able to claw back most of the cash paid upfront, and we'll look to take this in 2022.
5. Begin saving up for my next car. FAIL. I didn't do much saving for this throughout the year, and I'm not going to use the deal bonus to say I did.
6. Stretch: earn side income. COMPLETE. I earned a whopping $0.38 on Medium.

Inadvertent financial goal: maxed out my 401k for the first time due to the bonus!

Non Financial Goals
1. Build a network. FAIL. We now have neighbors, so it's looking better. I at least have someone I can call in an emergency, which is good
2. Run 750 miles. FAIL. According to Garmin Connect, I hit 360 miles. Ouch.
3. Organize the drat bonus room. COMPLETE
4. Read 20 books. FAIL. Failed to crack 10.
5. Go to the gym 2x per week. FAIL. I was failing this prior to COVID, and the pandemic allowed me to get out of my contract. We ended up putting together a little home gym instead, but I wasn't really going 2x a week.

Omne fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 31, 2020

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Remembering that this isn't USD:

• Keep to the new budget/save $1200+ a month/spend less on junk food: The budget is 100% up to date, I found nearly every single missing receipt, but it was a bit of a mess because I abandoned it for a few months, and I didn't care about sticking to a gift budget much. Junk food spending sucked, but it was a three-payslip month so I had nearly $3K left over. Average for the year: $1380/mo saved from wages, above the goal. I feel like I could have done even better though.
  • Net worth of $85K $100K: $103K, starting from $65K in January (and going way past the original goal). Average monthly increase of $3200.

What about the goals I dropped along the way?
  • Buy a house, if I can afford to: Going to happen in 2021, and putting it off has made budgeting for it a lot saner.
  • Buy an electric bicycle: Glad I stuck with the hand-me-down one, for what little riding I did. Don't think I'll worry about this for a few years.
  • Buy more things locally and sustainably: I underestimated how well I was already doing.
  • Care less about my shares: Don't have any now, so nothing to care about.
  • Get money's worth from health insurance extras: Eventually, but I shouldn't be glad about my terrible teeth. Consider cancelling again in 2021.
  • Make use of my subscriptions: Didn't cut out much, but supporting cool people/groups and staying sane was better.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2019 achieves

- Got through the year without any consumer debt
- Stocks and Shares ISA from £0 to £4k
- Net Worth increased from £75k to £100k

2020 finance goals

- Still no consumer debt
- Grow pension pot from £83k to £95k
- Grow S&S ISA from £4k to £8k
- Increase NW from £100k to £125k

2020 Personal goals
- Lose weight, fatty (I have always been skinny but am now 208lbs, target #1 is to get back to 200 and then convert fat to muscle)
- Run at least twice a week, doing 10k/week by end of Q1
- Have -some- fun whilst I am still relatively young. Last year was great for my bank balance but we never took a holiday away for longer than 4 days. Use some short term savings to have a 2 week break somewhere like South Africa or New Zealand

Caveat: I might buy a house this year in which case all bets are off fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkk :grovertoot:

End of Year 2020

- No consumer debt
- Pension pot grew from £83k to £87k
- ISA grew from £4k to £8k
- NW increased from £100k to £117k

-Started running in January, Stopped running in April, stupid pandemic (says the guy who has noone to blame but himself)
-We managed to get out to Italy in September for two weeks when the coronas were subdued which in hindsight was extremely lucky. Ask me about seeing the Sistine Chapel/Colosseum/Pompeii without any crowds :D

:grovertoot: We closed on December 18th in the end, got a van full of our worldly goods and escaped London right as the net was dropping for tier 4, which bought us a whole week to try out new furniture... But we are in! And managed to have Christmas here with turkey for 2! If you said to me I'd own a house and will be spending the vast majority of my working and living time in it at the end of 2019 I absolutely would not have believed you but here we are! It's been a rollercoaster ride but super happy with our little home :grovertoot: :grovertoot:

On to 2021!

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
End of year 2020

Financial:
- Maintained zero debt other than mortgage since July 2018
- Maxed Roth IRA $6k for second year in a row
- Maxed 401k $19.5k for second year in a row
- Retirement savings accounts finally increased past 1 year salary from 59k to $97k
- NW increased from $186k to $238k
- Spent only 56.5% of income, a new record low.

Other:
- Developed healthy financial discussions and plans with gf who moved in with us this year. Opened joint checking which we contribute agreed upon amounts each pay period to cover certain household expenses.
- Maintained sanity and productivity while working from home while assisting kids with school from home 3 days per week. Has been challenging at times.
- Did not reach 1000 miles running, got to 810. Blaming injury.
- Taken a more responsible attitude towards personal health, got up to date on all checkups with PCP/Cardiologist/Dermatologist/Dentist/Orthopedic, with continued annual/bi-annual visits scheduled.

Bring on 2021

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
2020 was overall a good year financially. Wife started a decent temp job that looks promising for transitioning to full time. She had been working part time at a fairly lovely job. NW increased from 11.6x annual expenses to 15.6x. My goal is to go full bore until I get to ~19-20x and then recalibrate.

This year's goal are:

- Max out both of our Roth IRA (already submitted)
- Max out my 403b
- Max out my 457
- Transition wife's job from temp to full time

One personal goal is to have our first kid. Don't know how this will interact with the job goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I figure it's time for a new thread so I just went ahead and made one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953704