Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Me last year posted:

2019 Goals:

Keep tracking; stick to budget as best we can. Am learning year after year that this is hard to predict, but with enough wiggle room it ends up alright.
Bump IRA contributions to the new limit, increase brokerage auto-contributions by 17%
Figure out if/where I can move my SEP account since Ameriprise sucks. It's hard to find info online about SEPs if you're an employee, not company owner.

Stretch goal: Maybe actually do that master bath remodel this time. I've only been talking about it for 5 years. Tub, floor, cabinets/countertop.

Check, check, nope, nope.
We went over budget in "pets" again, because my dumbass dog went and got himself liver cancer. Tumor's gone, he's fine now, $5000 later. Went a tiny bit over in personal care, medical, and hobbies. But we were under budget in plenty of other things, so really it's just the Pets that was substantial.
Apparently the company did so lovely in 2018 that we didn't get SEP contributions for 2019. I didn't bother moving the SEP anywhere, though I'm still interested, just lazy.
Didn't do the bathroom remodel yet, but we're making more concrete plans, and actually have a dedicated savings/budget for it now. MAYBE IT WILL HAPPEN THIS YEAR??
I'm pretty proud of our spending for the year. Within $300, we spent almost exactly the same amount of money as we put away for retirement (across IRAs and brokerage - neither of us have an option for a 401k). We also hired a house cleaner to come once a month which I think is going to be a huge weight off my shoulders. I'll probably look at a lawn care crew as well for 2020.

2020 goals:
Budget and track spending
Max the IRAs
Keep contributing to the brokerage (at the same rate) [gently caress it, let's up it just a little bit!]
Keep the house cleaner and hire a lawn company.
At the end of the year, subtract all "spending" (including IRA/brokerage contributions) from our take-home income for the year. Then use that amount for a guilt-free house renovation project at the start of 2021. Popcorn ceiling removal? New flooring? Kitchen remodel??? (Streeeeeeeeetch goal; gently caress - kitchens are expensive)

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU