Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA
  • 50/month into kids' 529s
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Transfer my final prior employer 401k into Vanguard
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy. We said it last year, and we'll say it again and hopefully we'll actually do it - NO MORE EXCUSES!
  • Plan a family Disney trip and save appropriately. Our kids are getting to that age where a Disney trip becomes inevitable (also, it'll be crazy fun)

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month. I did this last year and liked it, so I'm going to keep it up
  • Make a piece of software that is mine. Another NO EXCUSES goal that I always have but only actually did one time in 2015
  • Clean up the basement. Yet another NO EXCUSES goal
  • Help my wife clean the house one night a week
  • Keep good sleep habits. I suck at sleeping

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Jan update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs Done
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA On Track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On Track
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy. We said it last year, and we'll say it again and hopefully we'll actually do it - NO MORE EXCUSES!
  • Plan a family Disney trip and save appropriately. Our kids are getting to that age where a Disney trip becomes inevitable (also, it'll be crazy fun)

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month This month was a lazy day at home with the wife and kids after a work trip.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine. Another NO EXCUSES goal that I always have but only actually did one time in 2015
  • Clean up the basement. Yet another NO EXCUSES goal
  • Help my wife clean the house one night a week On Track. We call it Project Mondays for fun
  • Keep good sleep habits. I suck at sleeping There were a few late nights due to work travel and children sickness, but otherwise, kept to my bedtime. Consistent wake time is my current struggle and where my efforts will be focused moving forward.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Feb update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy
  • Plan a family Disney trip and save appropriately

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month This month was used to do taxes and other accounting things.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine
  • Clean up the basement We finally packed up all the baby stuff we won't be needing anymore, which opened a ton of shelving areas for other stuff
  • Help my wife clean the house one night a week On Track
  • Keep good sleep habits Keeping to my bedtime. Struggling with the wake time. I probably need to shift my bedtime earlier.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Mar update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Plan a family Disney trip and save appropriately We were thinking next Spring, so I think this is still feasible.

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month I didn't take a day off, but working from home with the kids means I'm only ever partially working anyway.
  • Clean up the basement Being forced to stay home means we've been focused on this most nights after the kids go to bed. Lots of progress here.
  • Keep good sleep habits Losing at this one hard. Working from home with the kids means I'm working odd hours, and don't necessarily have to be out of the house at any certain time.

Like everyone else, things are weird right now. I'm middle management at a consulting firm, so I am ready for the axe to drop. We have an e-fund that would last 8-10 months, though, so if I were to get the boot, I wouldn't be too stressed. Our biggest client right now is a large health insurance company in the US, so I think they'll do better during this pandemic than most companies and keep us employed.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Apr update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Plan a family Disney trip and save appropriately I want to splurge on this trip because it'll be a huge experience for the kids, and we likely won't do anything this big again for awhile. My wife is wanting to be more reasonable. Still trying to agree on a goal, but we've started saving nonetheless - beginning with our government handout stimulus check.

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month I didn't take a day off, but working from home with the kids means I'm only ever partially working anyway. Repeat of last month.
  • Clean up the basement We have piles of stuff to donate, and things to put on shelves. This will likely be done at the halfway mark of the year.
  • Keep good sleep habits This is shot until things go back to normal.

My boss showed me the raw company financials this week, and we're actually on track to do better this year than last year with most of our additional revenue coming during the lockdowns. I'm less concerned about my job at the end of this month than I was last month. We still probably won't open the office back up until the end of May, and daycares remain for essential workers only, so I'm gearing up for another month of work-from-home-with-kids.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

May update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy My wife has made masks for our family and for friends. I've told her they're very good (not just spousal support - they are comfortable and look nice), and she should just start an Etsy store. She's very worried about being judged by strangers, so I'm trying to help her work through that and jump in.
  • Plan a family Disney trip and save appropriately This is still in discussion, but money is being saved.

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month A big project at work ended, so I took a personal day as a celebration. Played video games most of the day, and it was great.
  • Clean up the basement Continual slow progress.
  • Keep good sleep habits Starting this up again.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

June update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy Still encouraging her to just go for it.
  • Plan a family Disney trip and save appropriately Shifted some unallocated cash around, and money is saved.

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month June was weird with projects, so I had a lot of downtime. Never a full day, but enough slacking that it felt weird to take PTO for no reason.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine I've been messing around with my RetroPie setup and have customized it a lot. It feels good to tinker again.
  • Clean up the basement Faltered on progress this month.
  • Keep good sleep habits I'm getting better again. Getting up consistently will always be the hardest part.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

July update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month I took a day off to paint walls and put furniture together (see below).
  • Clean up the basement Focused our free time on getting my son out of the nursery. He climbed out of his crib, which prompted it to happen sooner than planned.
  • Keep good sleep habits I'm getting better again. Getting up consistently will always be the hardest part.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

August update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month Took a few days off for our annual trip to Cedar Point.
  • Clean up the basement Redirected this effort to fixing up the office. I'll be working from home for much longer, so I needed it.
  • Keep good sleep habits I lack the discipline to be consistent in this, and I'm not sure what would motivate me to change.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

moana posted:

What exactly do you want to do for your sleep habits? Phone away at a certain time? Getting to bed by a certain time?

I have a time to go to bed and time to wake up in mind. On weekdays, I'm usually pretty good about meeting those times - largely because I have to get the kids ready in the morning, so they can get to daycare/preschool on time. It's the weekends when I really screw up. Staying up late to catch up on work or other things that I couldn't get to during the week, and then sleeping in the next day.

I know that consistency is very good for sleep health, but I can never keep it because of aforementioned weekend behavior. I know that having young kids randomly waking me up in the middle of the night isn't conducive to good sleep either. Perhaps my goal isn't realistic, and I should shift it to something easier to achieve - "Make sure the kids are never late to school because I couldn't wake up in the morning" (which I'm definitely meeting).

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

September update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy Part of the below basement cleanup is giving her a dedicated space for working. She's getting excited and motivated by it. I'm not sure if she'll have made money be the end of the year, but I believe she'll have started focusing on what she wants to be selling in 2021.

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month Took the kids to the zoo on a Monday. My son's first zoo trip, and he loved the giraffes (and then threw a tantrum when we told him he couldn't watch the giraffes the entire time we were there).
  • Clean up the basement Made some great progress this month. Got some rugs down there and new furniture; and packed up a bunch of stuff we don't want and scheduled a Salvation Army pickup.
  • Keep good sleep habits Per last month's update and discussion, this wasn't a good goal. I'll make it more realistic and actionable for next year's thread.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

October update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month It's been another slow couple weeks at work, so a lot of not actually working while working from home.
  • Clean up the basement There are still things to sort and organize, but the kids are playing down there and it's comfortable. Very happy with this one!
  • Keep good sleep habits

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

November update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month My wife had outpatient surgery, so I took 2 days off to help her recover.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine I finally started working on a silly idea I've been noodling on. This won't be close to done this year, though.
  • Clean up the basement
  • Keep good sleep habits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

EOY update

Not a bad year, all things considered.

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA
  • 50/month into kids' 529s
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck Halfway there. I opened an HSA with Fidelity, but having a heck of a time getting my employer's HSA provider to transfer my money
  • Transfer my final prior employer 401k into Vanguard I didn't do this one. My former employer's 401k servicer will only send me a check that I then have to send to Vanguard. I'd normally be okay with this, but with USPS being how it is right now, I don't trust it. I'm not getting eaten by fees or anything, so I'll wait until next year.
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy Her focus was elsewhere this year, so we'll try again next year.

2020 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month This month I took some days off for the holiday. Overall, I did pretty well this year on this goal.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine I have some in progress work, but it's not done.
  • Clean up the basement
  • Help my wife clean the house one night a week
  • Keep good sleep habits