Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Let's do this!

1 - Max out all tax-advantaged retirement accounts, including HSA

2 - Save [a crapton] of money in my Brokerage account (I know the number, but I'd rather not say)

2 STRETCH - Save [a crapton] + mortgage early paydown.
I'm actually looking to possibly refinance if it makes sense; we plan on staying in our home for years to come. The paydown would be on a rental property so that when it's paid off it increases cash flow. I'd then use that money to pay down our primary mortgage early. So, why is this "2 STRETCH" instead of goal 3? Because the money is not going to the mortgage itself. It's going in my brokerage because my timeline is still over 10+years and I like the liquidity.

3 - Get my wife's employer to include a 457. I found out last year that they don't have this option. If they opened one, it would be a governmental version which is awesome. I have a 457 plan for my job but it's non-governmental which makes it less attractive as the balance increases.

4 - Hit 5 figures for side hustle in a year - MAN IS THIS A STRETCH but hey, go big.

Personal goals
-Work out 4 times per week, average 1 hour per day
-Read one book per week on average
-Engage at least one quality social contact outside of work each month
-Complete one home maintenance/improvement task each month, no matter how small

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

balancedbias posted:

Let's do this!

1 - Max out all tax-advantaged retirement accounts, including HSA

2 - Save [a crapton] of money in my Brokerage account (I know the number, but I'd rather not say)

2 STRETCH - Save [a crapton] + mortgage early paydown.
I'm actually looking to possibly refinance if it makes sense; we plan on staying in our home for years to come. The paydown would be on a rental property so that when it's paid off it increases cash flow. I'd then use that money to pay down our primary mortgage early. So, why is this "2 STRETCH" instead of goal 3? Because the money is not going to the mortgage itself. It's going in my brokerage because my timeline is still over 10+years and I like the liquidity.

3 - Get my wife's employer to include a 457. I found out last year that they don't have this option. If they opened one, it would be a governmental version which is awesome. I have a 457 plan for my job but it's non-governmental which makes it less attractive as the balance increases.

4 - Hit 5 figures for side hustle in a year - MAN IS THIS A STRETCH but hey, go big.

Personal goals
-Work out 4 times per week, average 1 hour per day
-Read one book per week on average
-Engage at least one quality social contact outside of work each month
-Complete one home maintenance/improvement task each month, no matter how small

Holy Hell this looks like a different year.
I feel strange because these past couple of months have felt full of anxiety, and yet the crash/recovery/societal plague-of-doom has had some odd effects.

1 - ON TRACK. I'm amazed that I have my job with no paycut. I am so worried right now but there has been zero mention of cuts plus our hospital is opening up back to full capacity.

2-Because my annual bonus from last year came in February, I was able to get ahead of my expected curve. Of course, my mind just views this as an extended emergency fund because Mr. Market is a wild ride.

3-:laffo: definitely not the time to breach that subject. She barely got her contract renewed for the upcoming year.

4-:lol: Oh brother I had such high hopes during the naive days

As a result of my mental anguish (I'm thankful I didn't completely fall apart) my personal goals are also way behind. But I remain hopeful, because those are all within my control.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

That's the reason I don't make net worth increases a part of my annual goals. I am predominantly an index fund investor, and as such I have to accept the market "as is." I can control my saving/paydown amounts though, so I base my goals off of that.