Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Link to 2019 thread

Post your 2020iest goals u got. Big goals, little goals, non-financial goals, whatever. Humblebragging about achieving your goals is encouraged. Please post your goals even if you think they are excessively modest. I am worried that threads have recently turned in to high earners just making big goals and intimidating others. :justpost:

New for 2020:
:911: - 401(k) limits increase, make sure you adjust accordingly if you desire

KGJr goals:
2020 Financial:
Max 401k
Max IRA
Max wife IRA
Wife get new job
Move to new city
Rebudget at that point and make some new goals - for now i'm going to put non-retirement savings goals on hold since i don't know what is reasonable

2020 Nonfinancial:
Ski more than value of season pass ($700)
Exercise 3x/week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My wife has asked me for a divorce. I've retained an attorney and we are drafting up documents.

I'm doing some prospective budgeting based on my salary at my new job, my calculated child support commitment and division of marital assets.

My first financial goal is to be free and clear of the divorce proceedings by July 1, with a clear budget and remainder-of-year goals posted at that time.

good luck eat faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

maybe not the place for it but i think with kids you have to take a long hard look at what defines "success" and "failure"

i mean if failure is yelling/being abusive/whatever yes, that is bad, but if it's just "i am not connecting as well with this kid as the others" that's not really a failure per se

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

my cash position is pretty big but that is because i am currently the sole income earner for my household so i am carrying 12 mos expenses rather than six

it's probably excessively paranoid but it makes me feel better and it's in HYSA so i don't really care about min/maxing that money

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think it might be helpful for you to measure how you blew your takeout/delivery goal, since that could help you prevent doing the same in the future. If you don't look in to it, it's hard to change behavior. for instance, how bad did you blow the goal? which weeks were bad? did you blow it every week or did you have on really bad week that caused you to miss? what kinds of stuff are you ordering? when are you ordering (weekends, weeknights, etc)? are there other correlations to other life events that have driven it (eg stressed at work, working late, etc)?

that's my 2 cents!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

word, don't beat yourself up about it! that doesn't do any good. just try to see what you can learn from it and it sounds like you have done so.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DJCobol posted:

Updated 2020 Goals:

1) Don't die - so far so good
2) Stay employed - check
3) Don't check stock prices multiple times per day - Fail
4) Try not to cry - only crying a little

yeah i think my updated goals are

1a) Don't die so far
1b) wife don't die either so far
1c) don' t kill each other so far
2) Keep Job Success, with salary deferral but still!
3) Go outside every day Success!
4) Do some inside non-screen hobby every day Not Success!
5) Run 3-4x week Success!
6) wife graduate and not go insane in progress!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pipistrelle posted:

Lol I got furloughed 3 hours after making this post. I’d love to get back to these goals, but for now I guess here are my new goals:

1. Don’t get the covid/die

2. Help my boyfriend not get covid/die

3. Walk the dogs everyday

4. Do yoga everyday

5. Don’t use all of my emergency fund before working again

apply for that unemployment ASAP if you haven't already

edit: sorry to hear you are furloughed, that fuckin sucks

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

aint nothin wrong with paying off your mortgage if the rate's high enough

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Didn't really do an April update on May 1 because I was crazy busy with school and had no idea what was going to happen moneywise. I'll do an early May update instead of both April + May because everything just fell into place the last few days.

1. Next rally event is slated for June 20 :toot:

2. Got my scholarships, and Canada implemented a new funding program for students which is very generous for me. Savings is currently at $5k, will be able to increase that to $10k by the end of the semester I think!

3. CC is :siren:paid off!!!:siren: This is a huge accomplishment for me, I haven't been credit card debt free since probably 2011? Consumer loan I'm still sitting on because I'd rather build up my savings a bit in light of the current financial uncertainty, and it's not accruing interest. Feeling like I just took a big step forward on the road to debt freedom though, really I only have my student loan now.

4. I applied anyway and was accepted to the degree program. Still don't think it's financially prudent to go right now :sigh:. Next years goal will be to pay down the student loan as aggressively as possible (maybe entirely?) and then think about going back for another 2 years to obtain my degree. It all depends on what field of engineering I go into really.

Now I need to find a job for September. Only once I do that will I feel secure, the global financial situation still has me feeling nervous. I took some big steps forward this month though and feel great.

make sure that the consumer loan doesn't balloon interest. lots of "pay no interest until Date X" will suddenly charge you interest covering all time periods through Date X when Date X rolls around.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

be very, very careful that you do not forget

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah i think my updated goals are

1a) Don't die so far
1b) wife don't die either so far
1c) don' t kill each other so far
2) Keep Job Success, with salary deferral but still!
3) Go outside every day Success!
5) Run 3-4x week Success!
6) wife graduate and not go insane in progress!

how are we doing?

1a) Don't die still kickin
1b) wife don't die either still kickin
1c) don' t kill each other still kickin
2) Keep Job Success. things are appearing to turn around a bit!
3) Go outside every day Somewhat of a success, most days.
5) Run 3-4x week Have replaced with some other exercises but I'm getting 6x week with mandatory day off
6) wife graduate and not go insane success! yay wife

adding:
7) wife find job she is applying and there is stuff out there that appeals to her so that's good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how are we doing?

1a) Don't die still kickin
1b) wife don't die either still kickin
1c) don' t kill each other still kickin
2) Keep Job Success. things are appearing to turn around a bit!
3) Go outside every day Somewhat of a success, most days.
5) Run 3-4x week Have replaced with some other exercises but I'm getting 6x week with mandatory day off
6) wife graduate and not go insane success! yay wife

adding:
7) wife find job she is applying and there is stuff out there that appeals to her so that's good

still doin about the same as above, got some crazy moving within our town occurring including living with inlaws for 2 weeks because everything is kinda hosed in terms of wife's job search and we are scrambling at the last minute to stay vaguely in place

Q3 goals:
1) maintain good relationship with inlaws
2) move around w/out killing each other
3) move around without spending more than $1,500 on this stupid process

also somehow crossed the $500k NW number because global pandemic is good for the global elite and lovely for normal working people :d2a:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Q3 goals:
1) maintain good relationship while living with inlaws for 2 weeks it was quite pleasant actually
2) move around w/out killing each other success!!
3) move around without spending more than $1,500 on this stupid process bigly success, it cost us just under $500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Original goals
2020 Financial:
Max 401k - yup, got about $13.5k in matching money too so this was success
Max IRA - success
Max wife IRA - wife did not get new job so did not have any taxable income, but we did put $8k in taxable instead
Wife get new job no sad :(
Move to new city lol no

New goals post covid:
1a) Don't die success
1b) wife don't die either success
1c) don' t kill each other success
2) Keep Job Success. success kept job, no raises or bonuses but we did get our deferred salary paid back. didn't lay anyone off despite being down ~40% in rev YoY.
3) Go outside every day not success but getting most days at least
4) Do some inside non-screen hobby every day not Success very much not success unless we count exercise and household chores.
5) Run 3-4x week success, getting 3-4 days week of exercise although a lot more indoor exercise
6) wife graduate and not go insane success although hard right now as job search is very frustrating... she is doing good and i am proud of her perseverance and spirit!

at one point we had a NW goal and I haven't really been tracking against that, but we be crushin up like 200k over prior year, which would feel good if it wasn't a reflection of the horrible inequality of the us economy!!!

new goals for 2021 will be interesting.