Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
I tried joining in mid 2018, but gave up after a month or so. So this year I hope to contribute more.

DrNewton 2020 Financial Goals

First Goal: Get my Student Loan Debt under 8.5K
Currently at: 11,890.82

Secound Goal: Focus on Monthly Goals
January Goal: Update YNAB everyday single day.

Comments
I want to start off with the fact that I make around 10K to 15K a year, give or take. However in 2019 I started to work jobs that allow me a little extra more in income.

As someone who grew up with that spot of not poor but not working class either, having this new income with extra cash in my pocket was exciting and I may gotten a little too excited and made some bad choices. I had my fun, time to go back to my roots.

Goal 1:
I have been paying $250 a month since October which would be 3K a year.
However with daily interest, around 600 - 700 a year is interest alone.
So I want to focus on getting any and all extra income towards paying it off.
My long term goal is to get completely paid off by the end of 2022.
The sooner, the better is what I say.
This will not be an easy task, unless I bust my butt this year, so wish me luck!

Goal 2:
I have fallen off the wagon a bit. Plus I was never the best at keeping it updated, and some months of nearly not updating caused a lot of headache and missed transactions. I refused to refresh the budget because I started taking YNAB more seriously in March 2018 when I moved back home. The reports are showing progress of my growth as an adult, and I don't want to lose it.

My aim by updating everyday is to keep me in check of my goals. Especially if I want to get my own place, and tackle that student loan debt.

Wish me luck!
DrNewton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

moana posted:

Good luck! What job are you in right now, and what is your next step up?

I work in a bookstore in the wintertime and in the summer time I work in film. Both are super fun jobs but somehow extremely soul crushing. The only difference is one pays a lot better.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

DrNewton posted:

I tried joining in mid 2018, but gave up after a month or so. So this year I hope to contribute more.

Comments
I want to start off with the fact that I make around 10K to 15K a year, give or take. However in 2019 I started to work jobs that allow me a little extra more in income.

As someone who grew up with that spot of not poor but not working class either, having this new income with extra cash in my pocket was exciting and I may gotten a little too excited and made some bad choices. I had my fun, time to go back to my roots.

Goal 1:
This will not be an easy task, unless I bust my butt this year, so wish me luck!

Goal 2:
I have fallen off the wagon a bit. Plus I was never the best at keeping it updated, and some months of nearly not updating caused a lot of headache and missed transactions. I refused to refresh the budget because I started taking YNAB more seriously in March 2018 when I moved back home. The reports are showing progress of my growth as an adult, and I don't want to lose it.

My aim by updating everyday is to keep me in check of my goals. Especially if I want to get my own place, and tackle that student loan debt.

Wish me luck!
DrNewton

Right-o.

First of all, I just arrived back from a week vacation at the beach. While I was busy flying back and landing at 1:30am, my pre schedule payment to my student loan was $400! I was able to take a last minute vacation AND pay almost 2x the amount than what I was putting towards my student loan debt. WHOOO! I feel great.

I also threw 350 towards my loans in January.

I should be getting a large tax return and I am just going to throw that money towards my loan.

Anyway, now that I feel refreshed, I am going to spend the rest of this year just KILLING that student loan debt. Than I will be free and the world will be my oyster.

As for Goal 2: YNAB updating is getting better but I am not where I want to be. I am updating it at least 3 to 4 times a week, where I was only doing 1 to 2 times. So this is an improvement. I need to focus on checking it while I am on the go so I know how much I actually have. When I bought my vacation package, I was very good at keeping it updated, but I left it be while I was gone. I need to do some major updating of my budget so I will let it be until tomorrow where I will sit down and spend a few hours on it.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

DrNewton posted:

Comments

Goal 1:

Goal 2:

Wish me luck!
DrNewton

So I have my student loan down to $10900. I was paying $250 to $500 a month. I do not have to pay the next 6 moths, and it is interest free! So I am putting aside as much money as I can so that when October rolls around, I can start paying it off in large sums instead of the $250. I might even take a risk in the fall and pay it off completely as my net worth is now 2K above my debt! *thank you CERB and one hell of a tax return that was not expected*

I really have gotten into the habit of tracking my expanses again on YNAB. Though I still need to work on impulse buying (mostly junk food for when I go to the movies). Thanks to this quarantine, I am saving a LOT of cash, and when I did budget extra for fun money (to buy art supplies and puzzles!) and strangely getting much more happiness out of it.