Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

This is my first time participating in one of these threads, so I’m pretty excited about this. The last couple of years were pretty transitional for me. I quit my job and went back to school in 2018, graduated last January, and got a new job in March making a decent amount more than I had at my previous job. A lot of 2019 was centered around rebuilding my emergency funds and figuring out my new financial situation. I want 2020 to be about finishing out some of the things from last year, and then building on what I already have. So on that note, here are my goals:

Financial Goals

1. Get house emergency fund to $10,000 by April
I’m currently at $7852. I own my home, so I would like to $10k in reserves in case anything goes sideways. Gave myself a little wiggle room on time for this one.

2. Get personal emergency fund to $15,000 by July
I’m currently at $10,803. Same as above, a little wiggle room on this one. My company may being getting bought, so I’m a little nervous about getting laid off even though my boss says I shouldn’t be. Whatevs, at least I’ll have an emergency fund if I do.

3. Fully fund Roth IRA by October 30

4. Contribute at least $5000 to 401(k) by EOY
Currently contributing 6%, my plan is to up this to 9% in August once I have my emergency funds filled out which should put me over the $5000 mark.

5. Get HSA to $1000 by EOY
This is something that is available to me starting Jan. 1, I’m currently at $0. I can start investing my contributions once they hit $1,000, so my goal is to get to at least that this year so I can start getting those sick gainz, yo. (Or losses, or whatever).

Non-Financial Goals

1. Stop eating out so drat much
Pretty self explanatory, I eat out or get takeout too much. Definitely need to curtail that, both for financial health and actual health.

2. Do yoga 5 days a week
My new job is mostly sitting, so I want to start doing more stretches to try and counteract all the sitting.

3. Join a bouldering gym once I’m more in shape
This is tied a bit to the yoga goal; I’m worried I’m not in good enough shape/stretchy enough to do this without hurting myself, so I’m gonna work up to it. I went with a friend last year when I was in better shape and had a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

January Update!

Pipistrelle posted:

Financial Goals

1. Get house emergency fund to $10,000 by April Current: $9045
A friend ended up paying me back a decent chunk of money I loaned her three years ago, put it straight into this fund so I’m a little ahead of schedule.

2. Get personal emergency fund to $15,000 by July Current: $10,900

3. Fully fund Roth IRA by October 30 Current: $1000

4. Contribute at least $5000 to 401(k) by EOY Current: $175

5. Get HSA to $1000 by EOY Current: $30 lol

Non-Financial Goals

1. Stop eating out so drat much Fail. Stayed in budget but it was too close. Need to do better in February

2. Do yoga 5 days a week hahahahaha, yeah, no.

3. Join a bouldering gym once I’m more in shape see 2.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

February Update:

Pipistrelle posted:

Financial Goals

1. Get house emergency fund to $10,000 by April DONE!

Current: $11,120

Current: $1,500

Current: $700

Current: $60

Non-Financial Goals

Meh not super hot in February, need to do better this month.

2. Do yoga 5 days a week
Not at 5 days a week, but getting better.

Definitely not to this point yet.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

March Update:

Financial Goals

Current: $11,802

Current: $2,500

Current: $1050

Current: $90

Non-Financial Goals

Currently trying to balance this one with saving money but also supporting local restaurants during all of this craziness.

2. Do yoga 5 days a week

This one’s definitely on hold for a while, the gyms are closed cause the state is in lockdown. I’m also not in good enough shape yet

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Pipistrelle posted:

March Update:

Financial Goals

Current: $11,802

Current: $2,500

Current: $1050

Non-Financial Goals

Currently trying to balance this one with saving money but also supporting local restaurants during all of this craziness.

2. Do yoga 5 days a week

This one’s definitely on hold for a while, the gyms are closed cause the state is in lockdown. I’m also not in good enough shape yet

Lol I got furloughed 3 hours after making this post. I’d love to get back to these goals, but for now I guess here are my new goals:

1. Don’t get the covid/die

2. Help my boyfriend not get covid/die

3. Walk the dogs everyday

4. Do yoga everyday

5. Don’t use all of my emergency fund before working again

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

apply for that unemployment ASAP if you haven't already

edit: sorry to hear you are furloughed, that fuckin sucks

Yeah it’s the first thing I’m gonna do tomorrow. And no worries, that’s what emergency funds are for!

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

June Update:

I took the last couple of months off from posting itt due to being furloughed back in April and laid off in May. I am employed again and I actually got a raise, so I’m going to try and make up for lost time and still hit my goals for this year. I also received a small windfall while being unemployed, so I put all
of it towards my emergency funds and IRA and was able to finish out a couple of goals.

Pipistrelle posted:

Financial Goals

1. Get house emergency fund to $10,000 by April Done

Done

Done

Current: $1067
I enrolled in my new work’s 401(k), so money should start getting pulled out from my next check.

I also enrolled in my new gig’s HSA, so this should start up again with my next paycheck.

Non-Financial Goals

Doing pretty well on this one. We’re still not going out to restaurants and we’ve upped how much we’re eating at home.

2. Do yoga 5 days a week
This goal took a hit; I’m gonna try and get back into it and build up a habit again.

I’m just going to take this goal off of the list. I don’t see that I will be comfortable going to a gym this year with everything that’s going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

July Update:

Financial Goals

1. Get house emergency fund to $10,000 by April Done

Done

Done

Current: $1590
I upped my 401(k) contribution from 8% to 10%, which should allow me to hit this one

5. Get HSA to $1000 $500 by EOY
Current: $140

Non-Financial Goals

Doing pretty well with this one still

2. Do yoga 5 days a week
Hahahaha nope