Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
2019: I'm 35. Paid off student loans, kicked up 529 contributions, gross retirement savings/debt payoff rate ~45% and net ~70%.

Debts: car loan to be repaid 6/22, mortgage ~60% of gross with 13 years left

2020:

1. Double mortgage principal payment, to be paid in full by age 40. This is instead of buying bonds.
2. Increase 529 contribution by 50%.
3. Save 40% of gross between retirement and taxable. Don't stress about saving any more than this.

Non-financial:
1. Work less. I work 9 non-overnight weekends per year. I want to pay one of my partners to work the Sunday for me. So the goal is to pay him to work at least 6 of my Sundays. I can afford this now, but actually doing this and giving him the money is a big step. Having him work the whole weekend is politically infeasible. In 2019 I dropped 6-8 am moonlighting shifts, though now I can work from home so I may pick 1-2 back up a month to cover this expense.
2. Find some sort of fitness goal, maybe hire a personal trainer. Anyone have experience with this? I am in good cardio shape but I think I would benefit from in person weight/core strength training. It's difficult to train for a specific event with young kids.
2b. Now that the holidays are over, stop eating sugary poo poo.
3. Cut down on social media at home.

howdoesishotweb fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Jan update

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Plan a family Disney trip and save appropriately. Our kids are getting to that age where a Disney trip becomes inevitable (also, it'll be crazy fun)

Consider the Disney Cruise. We just got back and everyone had a blast. It’s nice cause aside from alcohol all of your expenses are paid at booking, as opposed to being slowly gouged by the parks.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Hope no one expected to meet their net worth goals midyear with equities!

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

howdoesishotweb posted:

2020:

1. Double mortgage principal payment - no
2. Increase 529 contribution by 50%. - done
3. Save 40% of gross between retirement and taxable. Don't stress about saving any more than this. - lol

After an amazing Q1 COVID has tanked our business ~75%. Q2 we will barely make payroll, and I foresee going into work with little to do. Business will (hopefully) pick up Q3/Q4 once quarantine is over, maybe this can be salvaged. Not sure if I’ll pay more mortgage this year, I’ll probably dump extra into VTSAX if we’re still recessioning.

quote:

Non-financial:
1. Work less. - shorter shifts since business is down, may not be necessary. Might still do this for July 4.
2. Find some sort of fitness goal, maybe hire a personal trainer. - nothing really specific just tagging 50 push ups a day onto my normal workout
2b. Now that the holidays are over, stop eating sugary poo poo.
3. Cut down on social media at home

gently caress 2b and 3, 2 kids now homeschooling with my wife who is not enjoying it.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Doccykins posted:

my buy and hold post tax account is back in the green :toot:

Aha 2020 (and covid) are still young. We’ll see what happens when the second or third waves hit this fall and winter.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
E:f;b

Look into a backdoor Roth if you don’t have a traditional IRA.

Either dump into VTSAX now or keep everything HYSA until the market dips to where you want to buy. If you’re buying for the truly long term the volatility of the last couple months shouldn’t bother you.

There’s never anything wrong with paying down a mortgage, it’s just the yield is a little lower. It’s a good feeling having a monthly bill wiped away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
After a lovely Q2 and an okay Q3, Q4 should be ballin.

2020:

1. Double mortgage principal payment. Probably will do as lump at EOY
2. Increase 529 contribution by 50%. On track
3. Save 40% of gross between retirement and taxable. Don't stress about saving any more than this. should happen

Non-financial:
1. Work less. so far so good
2. Find some sort of fitness goal, maybe hire a personal trainer. good enough
2b. Now that the holidays are over, stop eating sugary poo poo. lol
3. Cut down on social media at home. good enough though homeschooling is screwing this up