Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
This is going to be a complicated year. Contribution limits all over the place, getting married, beneficiary IRA RMDs start this year, fiancée wants to buy a bigger house than I currently own, and she's applied to nursing school so there will be tuition bills to figure out how to pay for. That means I'm also taking on her car payment, medical debt, and existing student loans for her LPN program. Hooray!

Goals:
Max 4.5% contribution to work 401(k).
15% into a 409(a) account to make up for no Roth and limited 401(k).
Max HSA contribution.
$500 a month into Vanguard brokerage account invested in index funds (VOO).
$1000 a month into a wedding savings account. Shooting for $12k by September for a small elopement, 2 "receptions" in each of our home states, and honeymoon expenses not covered by airline miles and hotel points.

Stretch goals:
Pay down her shitbox Jeep and get her into a used CRV or RAV-4 instead.
Pay off her existing student loans (~$10k as far as I know of).
Spend $4-$5k on improvements to current home to make it easier to sell later this year or early next year.

I really want to wait a few more years to sell and move so we have a better idea of where the best nursing jobs will be available for her before we lock into a house only to find out her dream nursing job is an hour commute each way. I don't know if she will go for that though. Hopefully spending a little bit of money on easy projects (replace shaggy carpet with laminate flooring, some paint and trim, a few new light fixtures) will make it more home-y for her, and easier for me to sell in a couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
January off to a good start, mainly because it was 3 paycheck month rather than 2 paycheck month. February should be good due to income tax returns, and March will be bonus check time.

DJCobol posted:

Goals:
Max 4.5% contribution to work 401(k) - on autopilot
15% into a 409(a) account to make up for no Roth and limited 401(k) - on autopilot, but I done hosed up
Max HSA contribution - on autopilot
$500 a month into Vanguard brokerage account invested in index funds (VOO) - on autopilot, but considering changing to VFIAX for fractional shares
$1000 a month into a wedding savings account. Shooting for $12k by September for a small elopement, 2 "receptions" in each of our home states, and honeymoon expenses not covered by airline miles and hotel points - $5k now and that should just about cover what I need it to cover. Gonna keep saving the $1000 in case extra stuff comes up because it probably will. Anything left over will either go to her tuition or a honeymoon.

Stretch goals:
Pay down her shitbox Jeep and get her into a used CRV or RAV-4 instead - no movement yet
Pay off her existing student loans (~$10k as far as I know of) - nope, thats $16k
Spend $4-$5k on improvements to current home to make it easier to sell later this year or early next year.
I went into 2020 planning on not being able to contribute to a Roth IRA at all after exceeding contribution limits. However, I wasn't thinking far enough ahead about getting married this year, and that changing the combined limit. Since I wasn't planning on making Roth contributions, I just took that amount and put it into a 401(k)+. Now though, I can contribute the max for both of us, plus I found out she has an HSA that only gets $20 bi-weekly from her employer. And she wants to go back to school and get her bachelor's degree from WGU. So adding that up:
$12,000 for max Roth IRA for both of us
$3,000 to max out her HSA
$5,000 minimum to set up a traditional IRA for her since her employer has no 401(k) plan yet
$6,740 for 2 semesters of college tuition

Trying to find an extra $26,740 when 50% of my salary is already going into some kind of retirement or other savings won't be fun. Luckily we pretty much live off of what I take home, and she pays for her bills, and anything else she takes home will go directly towards this number. I should have a decent bonus check to help offset, and this year I have to start taking RMDs from a beneficiary IRA, so that should help offset too. This is the year to start controlling some of the loose ends on my budget (now our budget I guess).

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Updated 2020 Goals:

1) Don't die - so far so good
2) Stay employed - check
3) Don't check stock prices multiple times per day - Fail
4) Try not to cry - only crying a little

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DJCobol posted:

Updated 2020 Goals:

1) Don't die - so far so good
2) Stay employed - check
3) Don't check stock prices multiple times per day - Fail
4) Try not to cry - only crying a little

Updating again:
1) Not dead.
2) Still employed, but 10% reduction through Q2 and maybe longer, who knows.
3) I took the stocks widget off my phone and watch, so significantly less stock price checking.
4) Not crying as much, see number 3.

Other news:
1) Got married.
2) Wife started nursing school so those tuition and book payments are fun now.
3) Still trying to figure out how to pay down her existing student loans at the same time.
4) Saved a lot on wedding costs by doing a quickie ceremony with a few friends and family. All in I think we only spent like $3k.
5) Now that I can file taxes for this year as married, I can contribute to a Roth IRA again as she drags us back under the limit. Mine is maxed after taking RMDs from a beneficiary IRA, working on maxing hers.
6) 2 months of hell coming up figuring out how to merge bank accounts, credit cards, car payments, home/auto insurance, cell phone plans, and everything else from separate into one. Huzzah!