Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The theme for 2020 is Getting Back On Track. 2018 and 2019 were a bit rough from a financial perspective (new vehicle lease, new home purchase, inability to actually save much outside of 401ks).

1. No new consumer debt. Shouldn't be too hard, but this will remain the main goal for 2020 to avoid getting into a worse position.
2. Get emergency fund back to $10k. Currently at $8k after using some of my extra December paycheck. Ultimate goal is $15k, but $10k is more realistic for 2020.
3. Student loan down to $5000. Currently at $7400 and some change, this will require a bit extra each month above my minimum payment, but my main goal is to have this paid off before my 40th birthday in November 2021.
4. Pay cash for Ireland. Taking my mom on her bucket list trip to Ireland in May. I paid for all flights and some hotels with points, and should have $3k cash before we leave, should be plenty.
5. Begin saving up for my next car. My lease is up in May 2021, so I've got time but need to start putting money aside for this.
6. Stretch: earn side income. Need to brainstorm on this one, but it'd be great to diversify my income a bit.

Non Financial Goals
1. Build a network. I've lived here for just over two years, and I don't know anyone outside of my work. Not good for my social life.
2. Run 750 miles. I basically took 2019 off from serious running, so I'm looking forward to working towards some of my longer term goals with running.
3. Organize the drat bonus room. We paid a lot of money for it and it's currently being used for storage. I want my space!
4. Read 20 books.
5. Go to the gym 2x per week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Pretty much all goals are on hold at this moment. It's all about survival

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

The theme for 2020 is Getting Back On Track. 2018 and 2019 were a bit rough from a financial perspective (new vehicle lease, new home purchase, inability to actually save much outside of 401ks).

1. No new consumer debt. Shouldn't be too hard, but this will remain the main goal for 2020 to avoid getting into a worse position.
2. Get emergency fund back to $10k. Currently at $8k after using some of my extra December paycheck. Ultimate goal is $15k, but $10k is more realistic for 2020.
3. Student loan down to $5000. Currently at $7400 and some change, this will require a bit extra each month above my minimum payment, but my main goal is to have this paid off before my 40th birthday in November 2021.
4. Pay cash for Ireland. Taking my mom on her bucket list trip to Ireland in May. I paid for all flights and some hotels with points, and should have $3k cash before we leave, should be plenty.
5. Begin saving up for my next car. My lease is up in May 2021, so I've got time but need to start putting money aside for this.
6. Stretch: earn side income. Need to brainstorm on this one, but it'd be great to diversify my income a bit.

Non Financial Goals
1. Build a network. I've lived here for just over two years, and I don't know anyone outside of my work. Not good for my social life.
2. Run 750 miles. I basically took 2019 off from serious running, so I'm looking forward to working towards some of my longer term goals with running.
3. Organize the drat bonus room. We paid a lot of money for it and it's currently being used for storage. I want my space!
4. Read 20 books.
5. Go to the gym 2x per week.

LOL.

1. Still on track
2. Emergency fund goal: $10k. Current status: $10,700. Goal Met (for now)
3. Student loan goal: <$5k. Current status: $6,500. Not on track
4. Ireland trip: This was all set to go, but obviously the coronavirus ruined it. I was able to cancel everything, so I'm not out of pocket anything.
5. Side income goal: > $0. Current status: $0. Not on track

Non Financial Goals
1. Build a network: LOL. 'Rona ruined this too so far this year
2. Run 750 miles. Current status: 253. I guess I'm on track?
3. Bonus room is partially organized. The TV is mounted, and we're working on turning the back half into a home gym
4. Read 20 books. Current status: I'm on my 4th. No excuses here, I'm just pathetic
5. LOL; 'Rona ruined it and we decided to build a home gym. I'll cancel once I'm able to.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

What a roller coaster of a year. I was doing alright, and then at the end of the year my company got acquired and our stock options were paid out. Then, they gave me a very sizable (to me) deal bonus worth mid-5 figures. That obviously changed some things and put me in a much, much better position to start the new year.

Omne posted:

1. No new consumer debt. COMPLETE. Managed to avoid new debt. We used zero percent interest offers every now and then, but tended to pay them off super quick.
2. Get emergency fund back to $10k. COMPLETE. This was sitting at $12k prior to my bonus, so I put more in after my bonus and it now sits at $20k.
3. Student loan down to $5000. COMPLETE. Sitting at $4500. This will get knocked out super quick next year.
4. Pay cash for Ireland. INCOMPLETE. COVID-19 ruined the trip before it began. I was able to claw back most of the cash paid upfront, and we'll look to take this in 2022.
5. Begin saving up for my next car. FAIL. I didn't do much saving for this throughout the year, and I'm not going to use the deal bonus to say I did.
6. Stretch: earn side income. COMPLETE. I earned a whopping $0.38 on Medium.

Inadvertent financial goal: maxed out my 401k for the first time due to the bonus!

Non Financial Goals
1. Build a network. FAIL. We now have neighbors, so it's looking better. I at least have someone I can call in an emergency, which is good
2. Run 750 miles. FAIL. According to Garmin Connect, I hit 360 miles. Ouch.
3. Organize the drat bonus room. COMPLETE
4. Read 20 books. FAIL. Failed to crack 10.
5. Go to the gym 2x per week. FAIL. I was failing this prior to COVID, and the pandemic allowed me to get out of my contract. We ended up putting together a little home gym instead, but I wasn't really going 2x a week.

Omne fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 31, 2020