Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
2020 Goals:

Current State
- Wife's student loans: 65k left at 1.9%
- My student loans: 180k, eligible for PSLF in 3.5 years
- 1 car loan, 22k @ 3%
- Mortgage on a 15 year fixed at 3%, 89% to go
- Emergency Fund Funded.

Financial Goals for 2020
- Pay off my wife's student loan ASAP with savings (separate from emergency fund): should be done by February.
- Pay off car loan ASAP
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k Done
- Put at least $6k/month in to a taxable account.
- Save money for our next car
- Continue maxing out our 401ks/457s - On autopilot
- Continue maxing out our HSA - On autopilot
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
2020 Goals:

Current State
- Wife's student loans: 65k left at 1.9% :toot:
- My student loans: 175k, eligible for PSLF in 3.5 years
- 1 car loan, 22k @ 3% :toot:
- Mortgage on a 15 year fixed at 3%, 89% to go
- Emergency Fund Funded.

Financial Goals for 2020
- Pay off my wife's student loan ASAP with savings (separate from emergency fund): should be done by February. :toot:
- Pay off car loan ASAP :toot:
- Put at least $6k/month in to a taxable account.
- Save money for our next car

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 16, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

What's up with the very large emergency savings accounts some of you have? Is that an American thing or do some of you guys just have enormous monthly obligations? I can't imagine keeping over 30k in cash or cash-like deposits

Little bit of a, little bit of b. We have a decently large mortgage payment due to our 15 year loan (and neighborhood). We’re trying to pay in cash for our next car purchase, so that adds up pretty quickly.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

howdoesishotweb posted:

Hope no one expected to meet their net worth goals midyear with equities!

I haven't looked. :ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
2020 Goals:

Current State
- My student loans: 170k, eligible for PSLF in 3 years. Currently 0% interest, no payments until September.
- Mortgage on a 15 year fixed at 3%
- Emergency Fund Funded.

Financial Goals for 2020
- Pay off my wife's student loan ASAP with savings (separate from emergency fund): should be done by February. :toot:
- Put at least $6k/month in to a taxable account. Upped this to $7k/month, and have been on track since the beginning of the year.
- Save money for our next car Almost fully funded, although I'm going to keep saving to increase our emergency savings.

New Goal:
Figure out if I want to change jobs in the middle of a pandemic, which would immediately result in 1/3 salary increase, potential for 2x my current salary, with the caveat that lol jesus christ is now really the time?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
2020 Halfway Update:

Current State
- My student loans: 170k, eligible for PSLF in 3 years. Currently 0% interest, no payments until September.
- Emergency Fund Funded.

Financial Goals for 2020
- Put at least $6k/month in to a taxable account. Upped this to $7k/month, and have been on track since the beginning of the year/through COVID so far.
- Save money for our next car Funded this, then spent it on a replacement car for my wife. Now I'm saving for a car for me, maybe? :toot:

New Goal:
Figure out if I want to change jobs in the middle of a pandemic, which would immediately result in 1/3 salary increase, potential for 2x my current salary, with the caveat that lol jesus christ is now really the time? Ended up turning down this job. Got a bit of a bonus/raise at my current job, if our system breaks even. Will re-evaluate next year?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 30, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
2020 Q3 Update:

Current State
- My student loans: 170k, eligible for PSLF in 3 years. Currently 0% interest, no payments until September. January!
- Emergency Fund Funded.

Financial Goals for 2020:
- Put at least $6k/month in to a taxable account. Upped this to $7k/month, and have been on track since the beginning of the year/through COVID so far.
- Save money for our next car Funded this, then spent it on a replacement car for my wife. And then I also used my "fun car" savings to buy a fun car. Whoops.
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September Done
- Figure out if I want to change jobs in the middle of a pandemic, which would immediately result in 1/3 salary increase, potential for 2x my current salary, with the caveat that lol jesus christ is now really the time? Ended up turning down this job. Got a bit of a bonus/raise at my current job, if our system breaks even. Will re-evaluate next year? Got the bonus, went in to savings/investments.

End of the year goals:
- Continue saving as above
- Thank my lucky stars we've been doing okay this year

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
2020 Q4 Update:

Current State
- My student loans: 170k, eligible for PSLF in 3 years. Currently 0% interest, no payments until September. January! February!
- Emergency Fund Funded.

Financial Goals for 2020:
- Put at least $6k/month in to a taxable account. Upped this to $7k/month, and was able to do this throughout the entire year
- Save money for our next car Funded this, then spent it on a replacement car for my wife. And then I also used my "fun car" savings to buy a fun car. Currently saving for the next car in a few years.
- Continue maxing out our 401ks/457s - Done on autopilot
- Continue maxing out our HSA - Done on autopilot
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September Done
- Figure out if I want to change jobs in the middle of a pandemic, which would immediately result in 1/3 salary increase, potential for 2x my current salary, with the caveat that lol jesus christ is now really the time? Ended up turning down this job. Got a bit of a bonus/raise at my current job, if our system breaks even. Will re-evaluate next year? Got the bonus, went in to savings/investments. My wife and I are considering maybe making a job change at some point.
- Continue saving as above
- Thank my lucky stars we've been doing okay this year

Really, I just want to genuinely thank everyone here that has posted over the past few years. Ever since I've been doing these posts, my wife and I have been on a fairly aggressive debt payoff strategy for her med school loans. With the help of this forum and having a strategy that we've been able to stick to, I'm happy to say that our net worth has shifted from being negative hundreds of thousands of dollars to finally crossing a pretty meaningful threshold over the past few weeks. Thank you everyone.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 6, 2020