Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
2020 Goals
Financial:
- Max Roth 401k (yearlong)
- Max Roth IRA (Jan)
- Max HSA (Jan)
- Max husband 401k (Dec)
- Max husband Roth IRA (Jan)
- Max husband HSA (Jan)
- Rebalance (Jan)
- Get 1 year expenses in cash set up
- Annual budget updated
- Do tax plan for 2020 (April)
- Move husband's HSA over to Fidelity
- Call IRS to sort out tax snafu (accidentally paid on my SSN, not my husbands)
- Make quarterly payments (set up on google calendar so I don't forget)
- Finish estate planning details (physical items will, bank TOD accounts, Vanguard TOD account, check all beneficiaries)
- Update and keep updating gratitude journal for discretionary purchases
- Buy a piano
- Have yearly lookback and look forward conversation with husband
- Study rear end off for CFP exam in July, hopefully pass
- Finish CFP coursework program

Non-Financial:
- Get a regular date night set up
- Keep exercising zumba 3x/week
- Read 1 book a week
- Clean up front yard (buy shed for toy storage)
- Plant new garden in raised beds
- Remove stupid liquidamber tree from front yard
- Start volunteering at library (Feb)
- Keep daily one line journal
- Finish my novel

I'm sure I'll add more to the list as I think of it. Bah everything, just bah. Maybe next year will be better.

moana fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

DrNewton posted:

My aim by updating everyday is to keep me in check of my goals. Especially if I want to get my own place, and tackle that student loan debt.

Wish me luck!
DrNewton
Good luck! What job are you in right now, and what is your next step up?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

The gig economy makes life pretty volatile. I like having a year of expenses saved in cash, plus savings accounts aren't much less than bonds these days so why not just keep 75k in Alliant?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

howdoesishotweb posted:

Hope no one expected to meet their net worth goals midyear with equities!
haha suckers, check it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

"spinst" posted:

Failed! I bought a house!
Condolences :(

moana
Jun 18, 2005

moana posted:

2020 Goals
- Start volunteering at library (Feb)
This one makes me the saddest. We got a brand new library and it was open for like 2 weeks before everything exploded.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

Do any of you have good framework recommendations for setting personal goals? That is a work in progress for me and figured I would ask here.
Personal as in not financial, or including financial goals? I would say for financial goals, just make sure that they are something you can control - what percent you save for retirement, not net worth. SMART goals - specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, time-bound. Break big goals into smaller goals that are action items you can accomplish in a short timeframe.

For overall goals, this is what I try to keep to:
Health: Always have some form of fun activity that keeps me healthy. Ideally this is with friends.
Family: Show appreciation and eat at least one meal a day together.
Community: Get to know my neighbors and be on the lookout for ways to help others.
Learning: Be learning something new, it doesn't matter what.
Art: Set aside a weekly block for creative stuff.
Charity: Give time or money or both to help people in need.
Reading: A book a week, on average, and share the good ones with friends.
Career: Always be learning a new skill. Once I get bored with doing something, double my rates and find another thing to learn.

Whatever stage of life you're in, it's important to keep one eye on the daily stuff and another eye on the big-picture stuff. I personally hate the whole idea of "balance" since your priorities will shift throughout life, and I think it's fine to pour yourself into something for a while even if it means shoving other things on the back burner. When I was younger, I really liked having a nice home and spent much more time working, traveling, and partying. Getting into middle age with a kid, my house is a disaster but I'm having fun with my kid and taking better care of my health. When I'm older, I will probably be spending more time with friends, indulging in intellectual pursuits, and mentoring younger people.

The younger you are, the more you should jump at risky opportunities and reach for grand ambitions. Crash and burn before you have too many adult responsibilities; you will learn a ton along the way by failing. Beware of making too many plans or working on goal setting rather than working on goals - jump in and figure things out as you go.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

What exactly do you want to do for your sleep habits? Phone away at a certain time? Getting to bed by a certain time?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I have a time to go to bed and time to wake up in mind. On weekdays, I'm usually pretty good about meeting those times - largely because I have to get the kids ready in the morning, so they can get to daycare/preschool on time. It's the weekends when I really screw up. Staying up late to catch up on work or other things that I couldn't get to during the week, and then sleeping in the next day.
With kids it's so much harder, yeah. I've found better luck with telling myself to wake up early to do the work - it's a lot easier for me to say "oh that work isn't THAT important" when it means I have to get out of bed. Staying up late I just end up dicking around with stuff that isn't all that important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

moana posted:

2020 Goals
Hit most of my goals: Got a piano, passed my CFP exam, kept a daily journal, maxed my 401k.

And I finished my pet project novel, woo

but seriously gently caress this year, can't wait for it to be over.