Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hey now. sometimes vancouver scifi goes to the Planet Of Yellow Sand that definitely has nothing to do with the north vancouver sulfur works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Midjack posted:

i'm betting they're insect zapper lamps.

i'm betting they're blue LEDs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

The halfassed, easily broken, probably-already-contaminated valves must flow!

apparently some hospitals in nyc are already hooking two patients up to the same ventilator

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's pretty fuckin' impressive.

i wonder how numerically accurate it is? and how much detail you can get if you scan a small object sitting on a table? and how it handles organic objects like a hand or a face?

i don't think it'll replace our $10,000 scanners with 0.5mm resolution just yet, but it's amazingly fast and reliable considering the hardware

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

is this where we contract a street samurai and a decker to break into their monolithic corporate hq to steal the plans

yes and also the street samurai cuts off the ceo's head with molecular filament. this is critical

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gotta be honest if i were evil software that's probably where i'd hang out

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's not cyberpunk when it's the loving volunteer police task force. that's libertarian utopia poo poo. it would be cyberpunk if it were run by a PMC that was owned by Amazon

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm glad to be a member of the Pact, because with the pacific coast submarine bases we have control over the most nuclear weapons

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ya but only the parts west of the san andreas fault so i'm safe.

which billionaire is most like bob page? elon musk seems the obvious choice for his techno-obsession and immaturity, but zuck and bezos are more plausibly members of a shadowy global conspiracy (musk doesn't get invited to those parties)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah he was the bratty young upstart who wanted power for himself instead of following the illuminati master plan.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

...what would happen to submerged subs in a tsunami anyway

probably a pretty good place to be, all things considered. tsunamis aren't usually the big wall of water they portray in the movies, but rather just like a tide that comes in and just keeps coming in and rising more and more. hence the term "tidal wave."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUdGfplrbKU

the whole boat might get washed ashore but you just :shrug: and hold on, i guess

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

helmet shields are all shatterproof polycarbonate

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

which one is this

every time i see this picture my favorite part is that the sidekick took the time to deploy the tripod legs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gonadic io posted:

How come none of the Saudi princes or Jeff bezoses of the world have made a modern luxury blimp?? You can make them way bigger than an RV and sure they have super yachts but you're restricted to the coastline with those!

sergey brin is literally building a giant luxury blimp in the moffett field hangar that google bought for him. it's entirely so that he can one-up the megayachts the saudi princes and russian oil barons show off.

he claims it will be used for "humanitarian missions like dropping aid packages" but that can undoubtedly be better served by, e.g., a truck

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

me, if i were a billionaire i'd convert a ww2 PBY-5 catalina into a yacht. they held a 10-man crew and had big observation blisters in the back so you could probably live really well in one of those. oh, george clooney has a place on lake como? well i will tomorrow, i suppose. today i'm on lake geneva.

i would also convert it to turboprop though because jet fuel is a hell of a lot more available than 150-octane avgas and also gently caress traveling the world on an 80 year old radial.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eh, there are worse ways to go.

like, elon musk has a AMEL/IR and he doesn't even fly planes any more (his medical expired a decade ago). he's most likely going to die of a stroke from some stupid silicon valley designer brain drug cocktail. what's the loving point of having a billion dollars if you don't live your 7 year old dreams of having a flying house

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah that story was where i originally got the idea for it lol. a company in the 50s converted a handful of them that way and life magazine did a story on it

in general i would probably avoid landing anywhere between greece and india.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

I think they can probably fly, but taxing is illegal for them?

:shrug:

it is literally true that female pilots can fly an airliner to saudi arabia and then be forbidden from renting a car, yes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think it depends on where you are, not what kind of vehicle you're in. cars driving on the airport tarmac have to follow generally the same rules as the airplanes, so i'd expect airplanes driving down the road have to do the same as cars. thus it probably counts as driving

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

How about helicopters?

Could we take a 777 and make it VTOL like an Osprey?

yes, but it would suck

hawker siddeley cancelled this concept (HS.141) when it became apparent that vertical takeoff would require 16 lift-jet engines with a combined thrust of three times what the two cruise engines needed to produce.

turns out airfoils are a very good way to produce lift and there might be a reason we don't know of any flying creatures that propel themselves off the ground with powerful farts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

worth noting of course that that only applies to the reynolds numbers you'd get in an earth-like atmosphere at human scale. if you're in a more viscous fluid, like say water, jet propulsion can be very efficient. it's also plausible that flying creatures on the scale of amoebas could propel themselves with air jets as there's similar fluid behavior on that scale.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

performative misunderstanding.

i knew it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah but if you call it a "grow box" instead of a "personal food computer" people won't throw millions of dollars at your lab

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yep

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directional_boring

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

yikes i thought she was like a rough 70 from the video

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my sister's boyfriend saw elon musk in an up close interview for the first time on wednesday during the spacex stuff, and his analysis was "he looks like someone left him in the bath and he soaked up all the water"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it would be cool if the russians would surreptitiously supply the american resistance with some SA-18s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if a border patrol drone has a laser on it, it'll be for ranging only, and it'll be infrared. no visible emissions.

though now that I think about it, it's totally plausible that a CBP drone would have a laser designator for anti-tank missiles on it. it would not surprise me. (still infrared though)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Remember to also carry a couple of pebbles to put in your shoes to foil gait analysis

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

already gone. screenshot your spicy tweets ffs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gonadic io posted:

are...are they milling ramen? 3D printing it??

in the image above it looks like they are 3d scanning a real block of dry ramen and then they used that to make injection molds.

ah go gently caress yourself

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

thats a dope rear end cyberdeck bring back all in one computers like that

100%. i know it would be destroying a piece of computer history and all, but i wonder if you could cram a NUC into that sony thing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

it really bothers me that in the original pic they list 'torque wrenches'. what cyberpunk was running around installing cylinder heads in 1993 or whatever

journalists don't know what tools are and "torque wrench" sounds more high tech than "wrench"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i was going to see that movie but then i watched the trailer and saw the entire thing so there was no point.

seriously, check it out, it's like 3 minutes long and they reveal every single plot point start to finish. it's hilarious

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why does Kingston seem to have a disproportionately high number of prisons? It doesn't seem like a terrible town otherwise

the city is built on limestone, and limestone is good for making strong prison walls.

it was also an important military fort and the former capital of canada, so it has always hosted a lot of government work and there is never a shortage of soldiers or cops.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fredflonston posted:

this strikes me as maybe not the main reason to build a prison

the first high-security prison in canada, the kingston penitentiary, was built in the 1830s. for obvious reasons, in those days it was especially helpful to build something like a prison very close to wherever you quarried the stone.

wikipedia says "the site was chosen for "combining the advantages of perfect salubrity, ready access to the water, and abundant quantities of fine limestone."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

i gotta get the gear!

over the last week cjs has cycled between fancy bicycles, fancy cameras, and fancy razors

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

literally everyone in the computer building thread says they want to build a new computer to play cyberpunk 2077. is there something i'm missing about it? it looks like it's just a cyberpunk GTA game and it's been in development seemingly forever (always a good sign)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also why can't we have politicians like this. we get the stupid actually evil racist plutocrats who blow people up with hellfire missiles. i want the president to be a small time bulgarian crook who keeps a gun in his underwear and annoys his opponents with a drone he bought on the internet