Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

sephiRoth IRA posted:

One of my first attempts at the Loomis method- I liked it! It was somewhat intuitive. Still not feeling super on point with shading etc. Especially on the mushrooms. It's easier with a floating eyeball and single shadow

Actually started drawabox today too, in earnest.

Also should I be hiding these behind spoilers? I know I'm not pushing the envelope by any means but I also know not everybody wants to see gross stuff

i can only speak for myself but it seems fine

edit

day 18

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

I like this, he looks a bit like the old guy from bullet train, hiroyuki sanada

I like this too! How long did it take you?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

sephiRoth IRA posted:

That's really cool! I'm glad you're sticking with it. I have a question about it- do you submit an entire lesson at once? So I can wait until I have lesson 1 done and then sub to the patreon?

Yep that's how it works. You also get only one credit to submit per month though so if you think you will be done with the box challenge in less than a month it might be good to sub before that.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

been doing a lot of pet portraits recently, here's a screenshot of one i'm working on(in the reference photo, she was seconds away from yelling at me for working and not petting her)

i recently started using artrage and i love it. feels good to get back into digital painting again :unsmith:

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

Cheers, I'm using Photoshop Elements 6 at the moment, but sometimes I wonder whether it's getting a bit long in the tooth. There's no masking (that I'm aware of) and some other programs appear to have more freedom with brush control. It also panics when I want to save a 4k x 4k pixel png for the web, saying it's more than the software has been designed for so it might crash. Those are nitpicks more than serious issues, though. The first two can be worked around just fine and the third has only ever been a warning, never an actual crash.

Also been tempted to try out a vector drawing software, but it might be sensible to test Inkscape for free before paying money for any Affinities.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

BoothBaberGinsburg posted:

been doing a lot of pet portraits recently, here's a screenshot of one i'm working on(in the reference photo, she was seconds away from yelling at me for working and not petting her)

i recently started using artrage and i love it. feels good to get back into digital painting again :unsmith:

That looks incredibly good

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Spinz posted:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Haven't heard anyone mention Artrage in years. I will have to look back into it.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Spinz posted:

thank you both!

sigma 6 posted:

Haven't heard anyone mention Artrage in years. I will have to look back into it.

i'm really enjoying version 6, and never would have found it without checking one of the stickied threads here. the oil brush and the paint scraper are a lot of fun to play with, you can get some really good texture going.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I like this, he looks a bit like the old guy from bullet train, hiroyuki sanada

i just grabbed the reference image from pinterest, but it appears that it is indeed a screencap of him from westworld, so i guess it's cool i managed to make him look kind of recognizable

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
It turns out I hate drawing for fun with pen and paper, if only because it's not easy to erase. I did a bunch of drawabox homework today and went to draw for fun and am just blocked

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I’m trying to actually get some art done this year, which is always way faster if I can keep myself sketching/doodling/whatever. My goal for the month is to finish my current sketchbook and a painting for a friend.

Here’s a mock-up of the (traditional) painting for my friend:

Recently got an iPad so messing around in Procreate. Mostly needed to sort out the flower & petal arrangements since that’s harder to push around with acryli-gouache. Went overboard but w/e.

Sketch I did ages ago (plus one of a future painting of my parents’ dog):

Anyway most of my sketchbook drawings this year have been rough thumbnails and semi-blind contours. Really just need more mileage after not drawing much for a few years. Everything takes me so much longer than it used to!

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Sorry for the double-post but here’s my sketchbook spread for today. Hoping to kill this sketchbook within the week:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

#1929: Our D&D group is going to a fancy party soon and I couldn't resist drawing Siina's outfit for it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Shinmera posted:

#1929: Our D&D group is going to a fancy party soon and I couldn't resist drawing Siina's outfit for it.

This is literally the level I aspire to. I just want to be able to convey what I'm thinking to my RPG table. Very nice.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Crocobile posted:

I’m trying to actually get some art done this year, which is always way faster if I can keep myself sketching/doodling/whatever. My goal for the month is to finish my current sketchbook and a painting for a friend.

Here’s a mock-up of the (traditional) painting for my friend:

Recently got an iPad so messing around in Procreate. Mostly needed to sort out the flower & petal arrangements since that’s harder to push around with acryli-gouache. Went overboard but w/e.

Sketch I did ages ago (plus one of a future painting of my parents’ dog):

Anyway most of my sketchbook drawings this year have been rough thumbnails and semi-blind contours. Really just need more mileage after not drawing much for a few years. Everything takes me so much longer than it used to!

your friend is going to love that painting, what an adorable concept!

i feel you re: things seeming to take longer to complete. i have a bad habit that i'm trying to break of abandoning my projects if i don't knock them out quickly enough.

Shinmera posted:

this is excellent, i really struggle with rendering my figures in such a consistent and recognizable way from different views like you've done here. makes me want to practice more!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

day 20

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

those pet portraits are absolutely amazing. the hyperrealism has just enough of a cartoon edge to give them loads of personality. this is a wonderful thread, everything posted is a joy to behold.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I like this too! How long did it take you?
it's hard to tell because i get up and move a lot, about 8-9 hours i think? returning to watercolour after a few years, it suits the way i work better than acrylic - i wasted so much acrylic paint :(

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

It turns out I hate drawing for fun with pen and paper, if only because it's not easy to erase. I did a bunch of drawabox homework today and went to draw for fun and am just blocked

Sometimes I just make some random scribbles and then it kind of starts to look like something and that gets me started. I also have 2 of the Sketching From The Imagination books (https://store.3dtotal.com/collections/sketching-from-the-imagination) which I like to look through to get inspiration and copy some techniques. I understand that Drawabox tells you to split the lessons 50-50 with drawing for fun, because when I've focused more on the lessons for a longer period I've noticed that it gets harder to draw for fun and to figure out what to draw.

It's in the drawing for fun you will realize that the Drawabox lessons have an effect though!

I also draw in a cheap A4 sketchbook because that makes me not care about making mistakes and not being able to erase, I just start with a new sketch. My goal is to fill the sketchbook rather than make perfect drawings on every page. A failed drawing is also considered practice ;)

Claeaus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 23, 2023

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Drawabox is really hard. You'd think ghosted planes would be more straightforward but damned if I can't draw a straight line.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

CitizenKeen posted:

This is literally the level I aspire to. I just want to be able to convey what I'm thinking to my RPG table. Very nice.

this is excellent, i really struggle with rendering my figures in such a consistent and recognizable way from different views like you've done here. makes me want to practice more!

Thank you both! I'll probably be doing other party members soon.

My part of an art trade with Nag, his character Tiny Toni. The first painting I started to really hate, so I had to abandon it and did the second one to try and make up for it.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Sitting Here posted:

Hello artfriends! Is this same thread still working for everyone? Any opinions on a 2023 title?

Wow, I posted this and then went into a time capsule of work chaos for a couple weeks. Anyway, I'd absolutely support an inspired thread regular stepping up and making a new thread. It's not as though this one is on fire, but it's something that used to happen yearly if I recall correctly. For now I'll just change the year. I'm also completely open to other feedback via PM or in the chat thread--I know people mostly read out of their bookmarks so apologies for using threads like this to communicate boring mod things.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

day 21

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

My awareness of perspective and where things should be is starting to pick up. Like on the guy with the axe there, more of his face should be showing on the other side of the ax.

Many many more sketches to go but hopefully if I look back here I'll see improvement in a year.

Seeing other people's homework on drawabox has also helped, because I got really frustrated with the ghost planes but I need to realize that it's practice, not supposed to be perfect.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Seeing other people's homework on drawabox has also helped, because I got really frustrated with the ghost planes but I need to realize that it's practice, not supposed to be perfect.

Yeah, that I think is why practicing drawing is a bit harder than practicing other skills for some people: You're creating something every time. If you practice an instrument it will sound crap but as soon as you've played your crappy notes they're gone and you can forget them and go again. You're just playing a song over and over, nothing is created, you're just practicing!

But when you draw something for practice you create a thing that will stare back at you, showing all the mistakes you made and it will be there until you actively throw it away. It's like if every time you practiced your instrument, you had to record it and put it up on Spotify.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Sitting Here posted:

Wow, I posted this and then went into a time capsule of work chaos for a couple weeks. Anyway, I'd absolutely support an inspired thread regular stepping up and making a new thread. It's not as though this one is on fire, but it's something that used to happen yearly if I recall correctly. For now I'll just change the year. I'm also completely open to other feedback via PM or in the chat thread--I know people mostly read out of their bookmarks so apologies for using threads like this to communicate boring mod things.

Alright, I've made a new one:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4022541&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Thank you! See you in the new thread, artfriends :yayclod: