Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

CitizenKeen posted:

Oh poop, I saw this on hacker news today! Congrats! Envious re lisp.

Thanks! Why envious?

#1923, quick sketch

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Shinmera posted:

Thanks! Why envious?

#1923, quick sketch

I'm envious that you're getting to work with Lisp in a production environment. Maybe not you, not sure how big the team is.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm envious that you're getting to work with Lisp in a production environment. Maybe not you, not sure how big the team is.

Ah. Well, I'm funding it all myself, so the usual benefits and drawbacks of self employment apply.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

day 10

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

day 11

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

oh i love the lighting on this one! (and all the others, you're amazing with light)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

a strange fowl posted:

oh i love the lighting on this one! (and all the others, you're amazing with light)

thanks, i used to be scared of going too intense with lighting, but now it's like, i've realized that game developers in the 360 era were on to something with all the bloom

day 12

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

This reminds me of the geometric horror scribbles I used to see on the wall when I was having night terrors as a kid but the colours are all friendly and it’s not disturbing to me at all. I really like what you do.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

day 13

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

:drat:

Lighting is on point

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ahhhh <3

This is my favourite kind of painting to do. I feel inspired!

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks! Then I look forward to seeing what your inspiration brings!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

day 14

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Stoca Zola posted:

This reminds me of the geometric horror scribbles I used to see on the wall when I was having night terrors as a kid but the colours are all friendly and it’s not disturbing to me at all. I really like what you do.
thank you :h: geometric horror scribbles is a good way to describe where it came from. then it looked like leaves, so i went with that. i only recently started using watercolour again after many years, it's so much easier to experiment with colours than with acrylic because the paint doesn't get ruined when it dries out on the palette.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i love it

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Accountability post #3.

Learned about clipping masks. Very useful. Trying to figure out Affinity Photo versus Designer. Not sure what digital drawing program I should be using (stylus, windows).

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

CitizenKeen posted:

Accountability post #3.

Learned about clipping masks. Very useful. Trying to figure out Affinity Photo versus Designer. Not sure what digital drawing program I should be using (stylus, windows).

Krita (https://krita.org/) is free and is specifically illustration software, so you might try that.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

CitizenKeen posted:

How are you finding Affinity?
I've been tempted to try it out, I liked the demo of the previous Photo, but it's hard to justify when I already have something that works.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Duuk posted:

How are you finding Affinity?
I've been tempted to try it out, I liked the demo of the previous Photo, but it's hard to justify when I already have something that works.

I don't know?

I love the Affinity suite for what I use it for (mostly making tabletop RPG handouts), and I've used the three apps a lot (for a hobbyist).

The fact that I've used them so much is why I chose them now that I've started drawing. But I've attempted four drawings with my stylus and three of them are in this thread. I'm going to try Krita out later tonight, but I just don't really have anything to compare Affinity to as a drawing program.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

day 15

kiraeh
Dec 7, 2014
I like affinity a lot, I use it for digital art all the time, but ime finding the 'right' program is highly dependant on finding something that vibes with you and the way you work...
Here's a tutorial(and the brush pack they demo is free and very good) that really helped me when I was learning Affinity.
https://frankentoonstudio.com/design-school/affinity-designer-markers/

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I tried the vector brush for a wee bit and I just don't think I've figured it out. The look is what I'm going for, but the idea of not erasing, just moving node points or whatever, hasn't quite clicked yet.

kiraeh
Dec 7, 2014
If you switch over to pixel mode and use the erase tool, you can erase part of the stroke you have selected(it will automatically just make a mask). It's a bit fussy until you get the hang of it, but easy when you do. I don't really vibe with node points either, that's tooooo fussy.
Painting in pixel mode/photo is pretty similar to raster painting in any other program(CSP/Photoshop at least, not stuff like Rebelle).

Here are some dudes I drew this week for a buddy's ttrpg zine.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

kiraeh posted:

If you switch over to pixel mode and use the erase tool, you can erase part of the stroke you have selected(it will automatically just make a mask). It's a bit fussy until you get the hang of it, but easy when you do. I don't really vibe with node points either, that's tooooo fussy.
Painting in pixel mode/photo is pretty similar to raster painting in any other program(CSP/Photoshop at least, not stuff like Rebelle).

Here are some dudes I drew this week for a buddy's ttrpg zine.

I like what you did with the folds of the clothing here. It looks really natural!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I want to improve my faces. It still looks like I'm aping Hell is Full

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

sephiRoth IRA posted:

One thing to keep in mind with faces is that the eyes should be in roughly the middle of the head (although they look about 3/4 of the way up on the face). I notice in your drawing you’ve fallen into the trap of treating your face like it’s the whole head, so you end up with a figure that looks like there’s no room in their skull for a brain. You can usually fix this pretty easily by adding hair to the top of the head and behind the ears, which will fill out the missing space. Other proportion tips may also help you, even if you want to keep the stylized eyes and mouth.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

day 16

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

There are a bunch of free lessons on drawing heads/faces here:

https://www.proko.com/course/portrait-drawing-fundamentals/lessons

The Loomis method especially will help you put the facial features in the "default" places

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Thank you both for the tips/resources!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

day 17

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

One of my first attempts at the Loomis method- I liked it! It was somewhat intuitive. Still not feeling super on point with shading etc. Especially on the mushrooms. It's easier with a floating eyeball and single shadow

Actually started drawabox today too, in earnest.

Also should I be hiding these behind spoilers? I know I'm not pushing the envelope by any means but I also know not everybody wants to see gross stuff

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Actually started drawabox today too, in earnest.

Good luck! I started August last year and recently finished lesson 5. I tried it for free a few years ago but gave up, but this time I'm paying to get feedback so that helps to keep me going since even though it's quite cheap I don't want to waste my money. I'm doing one lesson/challenge per month so should be done with the whole thing around May this year.

A lot of the exercises are hard and will look like poo poo, but they definitely make you better at understanding how things exist in 3D space

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

drawabox lessons 0-2 were super helpful but I'm stuck on lesson 3 because I don't like drawing plants. should really push through it though since i'm doing the critique route

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Claeaus posted:

Good luck! I started August last year and recently finished lesson 5. I tried it for free a few years ago but gave up, but this time I'm paying to get feedback so that helps to keep me going since even though it's quite cheap I don't want to waste my money. I'm doing one lesson/challenge per month so should be done with the whole thing around May this year.

A lot of the exercises are hard and will look like poo poo, but they definitely make you better at understanding how things exist in 3D space

That's really cool! I'm glad you're sticking with it. I have a question about it- do you submit an entire lesson at once? So I can wait until I have lesson 1 done and then sub to the patreon?