Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I don't usually share my stupid doodles but I want to try and be more creative so I thought I'd force myself to share.

I've been meaning to start serious practice and improve but never seem to have the bandwidth for drawabox or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

I liked this one, especially for the shading around the eyes

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

:drat:

Lighting is on point

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

kiraeh posted:

If you switch over to pixel mode and use the erase tool, you can erase part of the stroke you have selected(it will automatically just make a mask). It's a bit fussy until you get the hang of it, but easy when you do. I don't really vibe with node points either, that's tooooo fussy.
Painting in pixel mode/photo is pretty similar to raster painting in any other program(CSP/Photoshop at least, not stuff like Rebelle).

Here are some dudes I drew this week for a buddy's ttrpg zine.

I like what you did with the folds of the clothing here. It looks really natural!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I want to improve my faces. It still looks like I'm aping Hell is Full

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Thank you both for the tips/resources!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

One of my first attempts at the Loomis method- I liked it! It was somewhat intuitive. Still not feeling super on point with shading etc. Especially on the mushrooms. It's easier with a floating eyeball and single shadow

Actually started drawabox today too, in earnest.

Also should I be hiding these behind spoilers? I know I'm not pushing the envelope by any means but I also know not everybody wants to see gross stuff

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Claeaus posted:

Good luck! I started August last year and recently finished lesson 5. I tried it for free a few years ago but gave up, but this time I'm paying to get feedback so that helps to keep me going since even though it's quite cheap I don't want to waste my money. I'm doing one lesson/challenge per month so should be done with the whole thing around May this year.

A lot of the exercises are hard and will look like poo poo, but they definitely make you better at understanding how things exist in 3D space

That's really cool! I'm glad you're sticking with it. I have a question about it- do you submit an entire lesson at once? So I can wait until I have lesson 1 done and then sub to the patreon?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I like this, he looks a bit like the old guy from bullet train, hiroyuki sanada

I like this too! How long did it take you?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Spinz posted:

That looks incredibly good

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
It turns out I hate drawing for fun with pen and paper, if only because it's not easy to erase. I did a bunch of drawabox homework today and went to draw for fun and am just blocked

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Drawabox is really hard. You'd think ghosted planes would be more straightforward but damned if I can't draw a straight line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

My awareness of perspective and where things should be is starting to pick up. Like on the guy with the axe there, more of his face should be showing on the other side of the ax.

Many many more sketches to go but hopefully if I look back here I'll see improvement in a year.

Seeing other people's homework on drawabox has also helped, because I got really frustrated with the ghost planes but I need to realize that it's practice, not supposed to be perfect.