Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Welcome to the daily drawings and doodles thread!

Are you doing a daily drawing challenge for a month or year? Post here!
Doodle something cool that's not good enough to go anywhere else? Post here!
Don't feel confident enough to call your art "art" yet? Post here!
Sketches, studies, artistic successes and failures, paintings real and digital, incomplete efforts, technique/colour/material tests, poo poo you drew in the margins of your textbook?

:justpost:

No art is too terrible to post. If you want to talk about the art thing you made or ask for advice on your art thing, guess what? You can post here!

Wanna chat with all the cool goon artists on discord? Oh boy have I got a link for you:

https://discord.gg/25e2VpE

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Was I kidding about doing 31 eeveelutions for drawnuary? Let's find out!

First up, squirtleon!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Keewee!

Keetron posted:

First of the year!

e: you got to be kidding me...

At first I thought you meant how the panchamp pattern looks like a rude double-dick, but now I think maybe you spotted the Issue with the list. If you haven't spotted it yet, wanna figure out another pokemon for number 9 or 17?

smallmouth posted:

I made this character. He's a dick because he's homemade and not like those packaged cookies.

How dare you besmirch the good name of homemade cookies by putting raisins in! That's a cookie crime. You're gonna do hard time.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
You know how you toss out a joke that sticks to the back of your mind, clinging on, silently nudging like that friend who doesn't get a hint. Persistent and ever-present. Waiting to be made into more than just a joke.

Then suddenly it's 2am and you've just spent an hour and a half not just doodling, but lovingly crafting a Final Fantasy Eevee: One Winged Angel

Yeah. It's a steel type.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I'm so proud of you all and so happy to see so many taking part in drawnuary. I always find it exciting to see several artists' version of the same theme, it's like an Andy Warhol that you actually like looking at and that doesn't suck.

I had to google guavas, so I could give you Guaveon:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Keetron posted:

Day 4. Guava.

This paper is really sweet, it is khadi rag paper.

I really love the texture, thanks for mentioning the paper so I didn't need to ask. Adds so much to the colourslides. This is a really succesful fruit.

sigma 6 posted:

New year boi.

Chonky! I love the smudging, really adds to the blobbiness.

Angrymog posted:

Wild Skidoo photo-synthesizing on the cliffs.

Aaaahhh scenery, so relaxing. More people should do scenery with incidental pokemon in it.

C. E. Croix posted:

Working with dying 7-year-old markers

The graininess works well with the subject, curiously. It's like an extra edge on a design that's already basically nothing but edges.

Gnossiennes posted:

i don't think i've ever actually eaten a guava

I would eat these guavas so hard. I love your use of textural brushes.

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

and I'm pretty disappointed my guava wasn't ripe, but it was till pretty tasty so whatever.

Soft and gentle fairy-fruit. Like fruit in a dream. Would also eat these.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Happy new year goons! Four days in, still being good about getting stuff done, and not just drawing. I won't post every little sketch, but I'm super happy with the bottom two feet. They're so gnarled and horrible, I love them.

Feet are so difficult, you're doing a good job! Can you tell me the ref you used for the bottom left foot? There's something about it that tickles the back of my brain, screaming "classical arts" like a statue or one of those super blumpy classic paintings where every tiny muscle is a lil bulge, but I can't quite put my finger on why.

Franchescanado posted:

This was 90ish minutes? How do people make hair look good without spending hours on it.

Deals with the devil. It's kinda like fur, it's all about the notes you don't play. You're actually not far from target here, hair's easiest to depict as a big mass that you then separate a couple of individual strands from. You've got the mass down, you just need to draw on a couple of swooshy strands where some clumps settle.

Fish Noise posted:

a january double prompt:

commonly used kitchen item

Niiiiice. At first look I was like "why tf is someone posting their thermos in this thread".

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

The Halogens posted:

How do you guys find free time to draw during the work week without real life getting in the way? Even doing what little I just did took far longer than I thought.

Welcome to the "drawing so you're not just know for your work because your actual work is not creative in the least" club!
I managed by setting aside a drawtime on purpose. After work, exercise and dinner, around half past midnight. It's not much, half an hour to an hour a day. Having a set time helps keep you drawing even when you're not feeling it, because there's always gonna be times when you're not feeling it and for me, personally, just waiting for the urge to pop up naturally means I'll suddenly need to paint until it's 5 am and then I'll die at work. Or I'll be at work and get an inconvenient art boner and there's nothing I can do about it. Mind, real life will still get in the way, sometimes you're just too tired or achy or busy, but making the effort to keep a consistent schedule helps.

I kinda like the mega sharpedo design as an example of ott piling more and more on until you've got knives: the sharkening.

Oh right and I made a Skideon:

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 6, 2020

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Papayeon.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Duskneevee :effort:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Orange you glad I didn't say Eevee?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Budeevee!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Bluebeon

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Today I learned that there are blueberries that are not, in fact, a bright all-staining violet-red inside. Who would've guessed!

Burmeevee

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I learned a lot about huckleberries today. Refuse to believe they're more flavoursome than blueberries, tho.

Don't just take my word for it, have a lick at Huckleon to make sure:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I love orchids and I love praying mantises and I double-love those orchid-looking praying mantises so I was happy I get to draw Eevee + Lurantis and I don't know how to feel about the fact that other people seem to love them so much they wanna put tits on them. My love for killer insects is pure and innocent. Why are people like this.

Luranteon is here anyway:

Flavius Aetass posted:

I just can't seem to sit down and make something. I feel like every free hour should be spent playing a game or watching a movie so I can just zone out and de-stress. Any good tips on breaking this funk?

Set a time. Set a timer. Force yourself to draw when the Time Of Drawing dawns. Tell yourself you're gonna do it now, you're gonna Draw A Thing and you're not allowed vidya games until you put some poo poo down artwise. Brute force through the tiredness and the anxiety and the pain of everyday life until you're holding a drawing untensil and scribbling down lest you stress about not creating art, too.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Medenmath posted:

Budew is a boring Pokémon

How dare you. Budew is a precious little veggie bulb buddy and I love him.

Keetron posted:

Mango is where it is at.

Your mango could pull double-duty as the most delightful bird-orb.

Brawnfire posted:

I don't want to flood the thread so I'll just post the one:

Always be posting all the art, don't worry about flooding the thread, we welcome artsunamis. I enjoy the dildo-tools in this one.

I love mangoes 'cause there's always the bit that tastes like pine trees smell and I enjoy thinking I'm eating a sweet delicious pinefruit.
Mangleon did not turn out so well.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
We're doing fruit/pokemon, the daily list is in the OP! Except me, I'm doing Eeveelutions to the theme of fruit and pokemon.

Talking of which, the first time I had to battle a Cramorant I dissed it so hard as the laziest gormless pokemon design, but I looked away from the screen for a while and suddenly the thing was choking on a whole-rear end pikatchu and I just about died laughing.

So here's Crameon!

lofi posted:

I got inspired by the goon who designed a longboard.

I can't skate for poo poo, but at least now I can look really good not being able to skate.

Sweet AF. I can't wait to see how Bro's board came out, we're both waiting for it like :bubblewoop:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
When I image searched grapefruit for some reference, they were all the wrong colour! Turns out what I think of as grapefruit is the white grapefruit, and what I got pictures of was "pink" grapefruit. I say "pink" because for one, it's obviously not pink, it's a startling red, and for second, the name of that one is BLOOD GRAPEFRUIT :black101: over here because we're metal like that.

Grapeon

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Keetron posted:

Relicanth, not my best pokemon.

I need a brushpen that does not bleed on watercolor paper. India ink?

India Ink has shellac in it, which will clog up your brush unless you wash it after every use.. which you can't do to a brushpen. Get the ink and use a normal brush and just wash it afterwards. Option 2: time to learn to use ink pen nibs. Or if you're a masochist, you can ink after painting.

I kinda love coelacanths and I'm happy there's a pokemon for them so I can give your Relileon:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Lack of nice, solid guidelines when you're doing watercolour is scary.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Keetron posted:

But then you will get that there will be a subtle colored sheen over the black and sometimes I then feel the urge to go back and ink it again. Might as well do ink last. An example of this is left in the nectarine bottom left, you can see it when opening the pic in another tab and zooming.

Noooooo you don't just go over the lines! You stuff your face right close to the paper, bending until your back creaks, take a deep breath and then hold it to steady yourself while you move with painful precision inside the designated area, meticulously filling each spot with care.
I've just come to realize I may not have the most efficient way of working. Anyway, doing the ink last is also great if your ink has a high shine. I've got one ink that's got a lovely shine, which is rubbed matte when I erase pencil lines (boo!).

Nectarion.

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 19, 2020

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Phanteon

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Keetron posted:

added a background, should have kept it lighter but I think with the shades in the chameleon itself the picture still has a nice flow to it.

I love how the white highlights pop against the full-on colours. I was gonna say as a by the way that Neil Gaiman already made his version of Little Red Riding Hood, but I was actually thinking of his Snow White. Hint: it's hosed up.

The Halogens posted:

Tried adding inking lines, then keeping the sketch ones in. The left side of the unlined one bugs the hell out of me and I should've fixed it, but was pressed for time.

If you don't want to lose all the definition you put in with your sketch lines, depending on the program you're using, find a way to turn your sketch layer a colour that matches what you're doing - in this case a reddish brown would work well, brown being great for pretty much everything organic. Do your flat colours under the sketch layer, then start colouring on top of both using semi-opaque or smudging brushes. This way even if you do end up covering most if not all of the sketch layer, you'll catch another tint in, making for a more interesting surface. You can still do lineart on top of this. Also you're dead-on, I can't even tell you how many times I've seen that bastard fruit in a packet of something and gone "peaches! my favourite, let me buy this delicious product" and then been disappointed to gently caress because it was apricot! gently caress! gently caress you apricot, you suck so hard!

I was Very Tired today so Limeon is a bit .. pitiful.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Gastrodeon is only a lil bit Eevee on their mum's side of the family but they still claim all the cuteness perks.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Keetron - all done. Yeah, doing this many fruit has really driven home that all fruit are just a variation of shiny colour-orb. It's no wonder those tide pods look so delicious.

Apricoteon got painted like one of your french girls.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Plus not a single one of us could even be arsed to use a randomizer. Low effort and we couldn't even climb up to that, so we got nothing to complain about.

This is Cradeon. He's not welcome anywhere.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Tomateon turned Beefeon.

lofi posted:

Behold; the ugg-child, bringer of tears, ruin of proportions, death of dreams:

gently caress it, fourth attempt, it's done. :suicide:

This turned out great! ...I mean, besides the fact that the kid's got FAS.

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 25, 2020

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Maracteon

sigma 6 posted:

Ermmm....

Ugly dog best dog!

Carth Dookie posted:

Only thing I have to do now is get a bigger water pot since I'm using a bigger than expected brush most of the time and cleaning it with smaller cups is a hassle.

This is nice and shiny! I like that you're actually listing the positives that you see in it, so many of us are prone to being our own worst critics.
I recommend getting a breakfast or soup bowl with a nice rim around the bowl for your watercolour reservoir. You can mix your colours on the rim if it's curved in and bowls hold a lot of water so you don't need to be changing it all the time. Plus, porcelain bowls don't tip over too easy if you're accident-prone like I am. I'm currently using this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alessi-1110304-Tavola-Porcelain-Dessert/dp/B00GCIBSYQ/ although it's not quite as big as I'd like, you'll notice the lip has a subtle curve, perfect for holding in colour, and my mom never let me forget that when I moved out I stole one of her difficult-to-replace antique bowls that was the best goddamn thing for watercolours so I had to get a replacement and return the best bowl I ever had.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Pinapleon!

For the longest time, I thought that raw pineapple was the only thing I was mildly allergic to since it made my lips and gums tingle. Imagine my surprise when I learned that it's just the fruit trying to destroy my flesh as I'm eating it! I got a newfound respect for pineapples after that.
The last time I tried to draw a pineapple-animal I ended up redrawing it thrice before accepting that I was never gonna get it the way I wanted it. Having said that..

The Halogens posted:

I redrew Maractus nine times (getting all the way into coloring and shading on four of them) before allowing myself to just give up.

Holy poo poo, there's just no need to flagellate yourself until there's no blood left. There's no art god worth penance like this. Sometimes things don't work out, it's ok to walk away.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Shinmera posted:

Completed another animation.

Shin I'm so goddamn sorry for this but it is all I see:

You need to reconsider the colour of that hem.

Pileon!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I mean, I'd be so super stoked for the Adventures of Detective Ladygut. Add a knee-patch or a tear to the jeans and make her idle animation her downing a beer and crushing the can against her forehead. Rough and hard-boiled, Ladygut smokes cigars and punches faces. She climbs walls by exposing her shins and using her legstubble as grip, Ladygut! Dun dundun dun dun, Ladygut!

Keetron posted:

Oh, and todays prompt, passionfruit.

I see ze fruut, but were is zeee passion??!!
Passionfruit look goddamn disgusting, I can't blame ya.

et walla, Passeon:

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 29, 2020

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Got so close to tapping out, but Bergeon still happened:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Grapeon 2 (I also called the grapefruit one grapeon)

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Phylodox posted:

Sometimes you just gotta draw a giant blue naked guy.

Thread's marked NWS already, you can post the blue dick! Hooray!

Nidoqeon is done! Wooo full month! Haven't done that in two years! Next up: putting in effort.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Doodlin'

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Plaguewalker

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Bunny in progress.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
V.quick sktch.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I took one of those Croquis Cafe videos (day 4, around 4 min mark if you wanna check it) and turned a 1-min study into a ..15? 20? min study with the magic of the pause button 'cause pft I wasn't feeling like doing quick studies.

AaaaAAAAAAA look at this pretty kitty! It is so good.

Edited to add I made another one

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Cold elf.