Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I made this character. He's a dick because he's homemade and not like those packaged cookies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I haven't painted for months because I've been depressed as gently caress. This whole virus thing isn't helping. I decided to go dark on news yesterday for my health and I was able to paint!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Thanks, guys. I agree there’s some amazing art going on this page!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I am crossing so many animals.

This is Wendy and she is great and I love her.

I hate it when your favorite animals move away.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

NAG posted:

Hey, that's really good! I love the bold lines and color choices you've made. My only criticism is you can see the seam where you made the head less wide (I am assuming) but it's a really stylish, confident drawing

Thanks. Yeah, I was pretty lazy about it. You've posted quite a few great portraits lately.

Flakey posted:

I just lurk here, but wanted to say this owns and I missed seeing your work.

Thank you. It's been a rough couple of years.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I’m tired of working on this, so it’s “done.”

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

This is not turning out as beautiful as I had planned.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Picasso said the portrait is in the mouth, not the eyes. Great job here.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Love it

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Imgur sucks. Going to start using artstation.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 25, 2020

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

This is wonderful and I miss seeing your stuff.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I couldn’t pass up all those great expressions.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

You’re stuff is a lot of fun!

I’m still struggling to find a way of coloring a line drawing that I like.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

NAG posted:

Thank you and Shinmera for the feedback - I see what you mean about the background now. My problem is I lose interest after two-three sessions with any given drawing, itching to move on to the next one. I always take your feedback onboard for the next piece, however.

EDIT: poo poo I just noticed I used the eraser to define her shoulder, gah :eng99:

Same. I can barely make it past what I can finish in one sitting before I'm completely sick of it.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I tried doing a value painting with a color layer. I’m not sure this is the workflow for me.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

bltzn posted:

I like this a lot! I tried this workflow once but I just couldn't get it to work. Mind explaining your process?

Thanks. Not much to it really. I did a value painting and then used a layer on top with the blend mode set to “color” and glazed colors over it.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

NAG posted:

It's beautiful and the colors are blended really nicely, but I feel it lacks the oomph of your bolder, sketchier stuff. I'm skeptical of this method myself, I understand why it would be useful but it doesn't seem very exciting to do.

It wasn’t. I learned a lot from doing the value painting, at least. I think next time I might try the color layer earlier in the process and continue in color over that.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

PLEASE show us a video of this workflow. I realize that making a value study first is the way that a lot of oil painters and even some acrylic painters work but I have never seen a digital painter do it.

Here’s a vid I used to learn how to do it: https://youtu.be/lJitss58XKc. He goes farther than I did because I didn’t bother to paint opaquely over mine. He also gets better results than I did. It’s just a layer with the blend mode set to color over the layer with the value painting. I just used a soft airbrush to put in the little color I did. I also put a layer with blend mode divide and imported a paper texture image to it. I usually use blend mode overlay when doing this, but divide looked cooler.

Below is my value painting without the color and paper texture layers. I’m happy with the facial features and volumes for the most part. The neck and hair are terrible, but I was sick of working on it by then. I spent a whole three sittings on this which is two more than I normally commit to something. If I do a painting like this again I’ll probably start in on the color blend layer much earlier and work over it opaquely.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I think you just need to break up the blockier areas with some directional scribbling and maybe scratch some highlights in there:

This is great, Argue. Phylodox makes some excellent suggestions too.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

It looks wonderful.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

NAG posted:

That's really beautiful. What is the significance of "PAINTER" in the corner? Are you using Corel Painter?

Thank you. It’s my signature. Painter is my real last name.

Edit: this is another shot at the value painting with the color layer. This time I did an opaque layer on top.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 26, 2020

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

NAG posted:

I really like this one!

Dem textile folds... :discourse: