Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Another small detail I noticed is that the eyes of the spider should probably have a specular highlight as well from the fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Sat with this for three hours today:

Reference:

Painting cloth is hard :(

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Managed this over a couple of hours yesterday, still need to make a background too. Making rocks and cliffs is hard :(

But I think that my favorite thing with ink is that you can just add a dot or two to a part of your drawing and that makes it look better

Claeaus fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 13, 2020

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Claeaus posted:

Managed this over a couple of hours yesterday, still need to make a background too. Making rocks and cliffs is hard :(

But I think that my favorite thing with ink is that you can just add a dot or two to a part of your drawing and that makes it look better

Water and clouds added. Gotta say I'm happy with how the waves came out.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks alot!

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Trying some pencil drawing

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Shinmera posted:

Glad to hear! I seem to be doing pretty well with this year's calendar, judging by everyone's reactions. :unsmith:

Add me to the group of people really digging these calendar pictures. Especially looking forward to the winter months! It really looks like you are pushing yourself and improving your art, which is really fun to see!

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Listening to Alien audiobooks and drawing was a nice combo.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Thank you.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Saturniid19 posted:

Thanks! Here’s another one:

Edit: I just got a new computer and I’d like to get into digital art. I’ve heard GIMP is a good alternative to Photoshop, what’s the consensus here? Any tablet recommendations?

For software I suggest https://krita.org/en/ instead of GIMP, it's a bit more focused on drawing than GIMP is as far as I can tell

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Don't take this the wrong way Shinmera, but I would like to see you draw something that is different from your usual repertoire. You obviously have your style down and can do that well but I still remember your calendar from last(I think) year with the different environments. With those it felt like you were going a bit more outside your comfort zone and they were really pretty!

:)

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Trying to get comfortable with my new tablet and decided to try working with only two colors

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

The spirals on the lower one look like they are moving like one of those optical illusions

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Shinmera posted:

Another depressed evening.

Seems to be quite a lot of those lately, you ok friend?

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

I'm trying to increase my painting skills.Currently painting this with a reference. Anyone who can spot any glaring mistakes I'm making that I can easily fix? Or is it just a matter of "keep doing what you're doing until you can do it less crappy"?

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks everyone! I'll see what I can do.

quote:

[...]the style kind of impasto / impressionist
Any "style" in this painting is only due to lack of skills rather than any artistic choice on my part.

Also, here's a dinosaur with shoes because I couldn't get the feet to look good

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

ButtWolf posted:

Regardless of crappiness, I think I am getting better and having fun.

That's all that matters!

Did some quick painting using only red, black and white. Accidentally made the bird fat and also I gave him wonky wings. But for 1 hour I'm happy with it.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I've done a bunch of faces at Quickposes as well and since it doesn't have that many different faces I actually recognize some of those :D

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Traced the rat and tried to color it. Meh, feels like I'm just slowly slowly adding shading and getting diminishing return on investment at this stage. I know it can be better, but I don't know if I can make it better at the moment

HopperUK posted:

e: Okay I didn't. I did a robin instead. NOT from a tutorial this time. From a photo and my own mind.

I think this one looks better than the one from the tutorial!

Claeaus fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 24, 2021

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

More practicing. No sketch lines, just blocking in values and adding more detail. A bunch of things are off but that'll do for now.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

5 hours from reference. Although it does not at all look like the person in the reference photo I'm happy with it.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Shinmera posted:

Been practising painting and was too ashamed to post daily.

I like these, they really have some depth to them!

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Drew a picture of my friends and it actually kind of looks like them!

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Claeaus that's awesome! Their expressions are all so alive. The shirtless guy on the right nearest the 'camera' has this very 'I am amused but also expecting this to go badly wrong' expression that I adore.
Thanks! I'm a bit surprised I actually managed to make it look like them. You do a couple of passes and it looks nothing like them and you don't really know why, erase it and try again and chip away and all of a sudden you managed to make it look like the person and you don't really know how you did it.

Decided to try and make something in color this time, 3 hours:

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Another frog, in oil paint this time.

Edit: Decided to make a bakground as well, so that it can be called a complete painting!

Claeaus fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 13, 2021

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Some spider-thing:

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks! Happy to be able to upset you!

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Shinmera posted:

I thought I might as well post the artwork I made for the opening cinematic as well. Warning, huge:

Very nice! It's obvious you have improved as an artist which is great fun to see!

drat, I don't know if I could critique this even if I tried. The feet look maybe a little teeny bit flat? But that's really nitpicking. How long does one of these take?

Watching Hateful Eight while drawing a scene from Hateful Eight. ~2 hours.

Claeaus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 19, 2021

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Just drawing randomly until it started to look like something and then went with it.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
On the topic of bold colors, this guy has really cool color usage and made me realize that just because a thing you're painting is a certain color doesn't mean you can't throw in totally different colors and still make it work: https://www.marcobucci.com/personal-work

He also has some nice Youtube videos on color and other stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nINus0lYQjo

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Practicing construction with insects (plus a spider)

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

ArfJason posted:

incredible bugs. did you draw them while looking at irl bug?

as for me, i made a new brush and tried painting colors like that guy linked in the video earlier. Drew a simple mario head

im not super pleased tho

Thanks! All of them are drawn from photo reference, most of them are from this album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/andreaskay/
I'm following the lessons at https://drawabox.com/ and things are finally starting to come together after months of drawing exercises

I agree with HopperUK, the colors turned out cool! And if you're not pleased with the result, try and be pleased with that you drew something and count it as practice, that's what I do when I think something I drew came out crap.

Claeaus fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 2, 2021

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
More oil paint practice

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Shinmera posted:

And another painting study.
drat, this is crisp! Very distinct edges and constrast between the different shades!

Looks like her right hand is quite big though.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
More construction practice, more bugs

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Edit: poo poo, just realized I forgot to draw the legs on the other side of the ant..

Updated version:

Claeaus fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 24, 2021

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

NAG posted:

Some snapshots of the process:

I know it's not meant as a tutorial but I couldn't help getting some "Draw the rest of the owl"-vibes from the first two panels.

Trying to draw something that's an actual scene with some composition

Claeaus fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

IkeTurner posted:

Quick doodle of a friend's doggy.

I especially like the slightly chaotic but still controlled lines on this one!