Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Couple of things from this week:

Did a still life to get used to drawing on an iPad.

Some face practice I did today. Went on Quickposes and set the timer for 90 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Got a decent bit done today.
Did some gesture drawing, trying some different things than I usually do

Also messed around with ibisPro X. It has some pretty powerful perspective tools, so I tried using those to kind of try and imagine what a '70s take on cyberspace might've looked like.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

messing around with a hard triangular brush

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Giving animation a shot this week.
https://twitter.com/_Schir_/status/1392927538406514690

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

been drawing some birds over the last week or so

figured out how to use the airbrush tool to make the background look out-of-focus, and it's a neat trick. Feel like if I messed around with it more and set the opacity lower I'd probably be able to figure out how to get a kind of softly-gradated shading for things in the foreground

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Schir fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 26, 2022

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

When you do this as a hobby you can just stop working on something when you get tired of looking at it there are literally no rules

the rules are mostly just suggestions to make it easier to make money off of it. if that's not what you want then you can do literally anything and it's all cool

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

tried drawing a tree branch outside my window. one of these days i'll figure out a decent way to block out foliage

and then for a lighter exercise i went and drew another bird

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

messing around with hatching in monochrome

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

did a bit of gesture and speed drawing practice today

30s gestures

1m landscapes

2m landscapes

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

more speed practice

1m cities

2m cities

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

saw someone else in the art discord doing studies of ukiyo-e art, and that seemed like as good an excuse as any to study some of hokusai's work

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

more gesture practice

30s

5m

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

read some old pulp magazines and tried to imagine a city of glass

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

still don't quite get how to look at and break down landscapes so I went and traced over a photograph a couple of different times to try and simplify it and see how I could emphasize things differently.

first one's just a pretty straight paintover, second one I tried something different and got an interesting result out of it.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

scribbling from the last couple of weeks, don't really have it in me to polish anything right now

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

went looking over some of my old stuff and got annoyed with some parts of how it looked so I figured I'd drop a bunch of technical flourishes for a little bit and try and just try and get a better idea of what makes some of the simpler styles tick

and then just kind of messing around a bit and squashing and stretching and putting the various bits and bobs in different places and seeing how that affects the way a face looks

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

had a decently productive week.

aggressively simplifying some more

conlang idea I've been kicking around

been meaning to try drawing space sea creatures for a bit, gave it a shot. think i'll probably need to iterate on it a bit more.

snail

VRscape

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

drew some plants

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

doodling

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

spent too much time talking about comic theory in the discord and not enough time actually trying to make comics, so I figured I should give it a whirl and just start trying to rough something out

Schir fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 29, 2022

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

discord was chatting about what the worst art exercise would be and someone said "drawing a horse with hands and feet riding a bike in perspective", so i gave it a shot because i thought it'd be funny

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

drew another cyberscape today. trying to evoke a couple of different styles of sci-fi I haven't seen in a while

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Duuk posted:

Thanks!

Photoshop Elements 6.0, came bundled with the Wacom Bamboo back in 2007-ish. I've looked at stuff like Krita and Affinity briefly, but not sure whether they would change much in my work process. Better brushes, somehow? Is there any difference in pen recognition, i.e. how likely is it that the Kamvas driver is throwing out useful information and Elements is going "Grug no speak 2022 word"?

First priority is finding/making some manner of support for the tablet though.

if your software works for your needs and runs fine on your computer there's not much reason to change imo

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

scribbling

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

thumbnail of the doom cover from memory

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

we could probably stand to workshop a new thread title. If there were a way to put emotes in thread titles I'd probably go with:
Daily Drawings 2023: :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

also in the spirit of :justpost: I haven't had much in the tank recently but I've been trying to get back into drawing regardless of how bad it turns out. here's some attempts from the last couple weeks