Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Day one and two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Keetron posted:

It seemed he was not clear enough to his lawyers who, as we all know, are paid by the hour so they ran with it.

In good news, I made it to day 2 and drew a bunch of kiwi's

Nice kiwis

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Medenmath posted:

Happy new year!
I don't have any idea how to use these brush markers I bought, but they seem fun to play with.
You'll want to use them on glossy paper, or at least not super-absorbant paper or the paper will absorb too much ink. I like your Kiwi textures.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Al! posted:

cave spider

I know I've said this before, but the light is too cold, also if you look at campfires they don't shed a lot of ambient light at all.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Of course I should have done a Pokémon as the swimmer. Maybe I'll composite the lemon in?

Keetron, if you're still giving away stuff, I'd love a box of random things if you'll ship to the UK

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Quick and dirty guava. Derwent Graphitints. Still on lovely paper

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Wild Skidoo photo-synthesizing on the cliffs.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've been on leave the past few days, but usually during the week I take advantage of having an hour long lunchbreak rather than the usual half hour. Also I'll be swopping back to less time consuming media for my weekday pictures.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Can you just pull the pans out and pop them into the wells?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Great catch-up :)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Papaya. Staetdler fineliners for the outlines, inktense pencils for the colours.

I love the softer outline the fineliners leave

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dusknoir with token orange. Proper Orange pic is planned for the weekend

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dreadwroth2 posted:

I done did a new sketch thing....

I like that. Very strong lines.

Here's a quick and dirty Budew, basking.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Keetron posted:

For tomorrow, I would like to remind people of https://www.google.com/search?q=luitenant+blueberry

drat you, ruining my surprise plan :(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I like this one, really works as a believable pokemon.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Blueberry.

Also an awful tangent that I somehow totally missed when drawing and inking :(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Keetron posted:

Now with better pics:

Would eat.

Keetron posted:

I love this, nice feel to it. Can you tell more about the materials used?
All the talk about the comics made me order them from my local library to read them all once more now I am no longer 9 and can understand what all the fuss is about.
Nothing special. Pitt pens for the lines, windsor and Newton Cotman watercolours for sky and background, inktense for the foreground and blueberry, mainly because there's a pre-mixed purple.

Did the background as one wash then dabbed the clouds out with tissue.

It's done in the same Aldi pad as everything else I'm doing for drawnuary, which is pretty smooth compared to the other papers I own, so if I was going to do a proper copy I'd get some nice Hot rather than Not paper.

ETA: managed to fix it. Bit of acrylic to blank out the line, then redrew and patched up the colour

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 11, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Fish Noise posted:

see the intersection of the ring on the blueberry and the edge of the rock it's sitting on, and how they form a cross or X? it creates an unintended visual connection and emphasis point. there's all sorts of little visual language* details and rules like this that, while a lot of people will never consciously notice them, can subtly improve or ruin art.

* I myself am not fluent, so most of these things tend to be "once you see it, you can't unsee it" situations.

Exactly.

Fixed version

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I need to catch up. :(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I intended to catch up today, but decided that drawing a birthday Giraffe for my mum was more important.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

This seems a particularly gormless Pokémon. I first read its name as Burny Shandy, which is stupid because you can't light a Shandy.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

12 is Heckleberries, right?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The awful paper really didn't help the mango.

Bad paper is fine for stuff like the sharpedo where I had loads of time, but for these lunch time things I really need to use better paper or work dry.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Cramorant. Almost caught up.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Noooooo you don't just go over the lines! You stuff your face right close to the paper, bending until your back creaks, take a deep breath and then hold it to steady yourself while you move with painful precision inside the designated area, meticulously filling each spot with care.
I've just come to realize I may not have the most efficient way of working. Anyway, doing the ink last is also great if your ink has a high shine. I've got one ink that's got a lovely shine, which is rubbed matte when I erase pencil lines (boo!).

Nectarion.

I love this one, looks like it takes a pet like no problem at all.

I'm almost up-to-date, got to Relicanth yesterday.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Inktenses, with lines done with a dip pen. No pencils first, hence the couple of stray outlines.

Mis-numbered Relicanth.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Pretty sure I used the same reference picture as you, Keetron. Though I added a slice in front. Used my polyhcromos's for these.

Graphitint with some neon ink for the eyes. I picked up a set of 6 for £8 (rather than their RRP of £26+ ) a little while ago.

re: your chameleon, maybe a couple of big leaves, then vague greeness? Or just a sort of gradated wash going from the chamelon upwards.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Keetron posted:

added a background, should have kept it lighter but I think with the shades in the chameleon itself the picture still has a nice flow to it.

I like that. Guess if you wanted to mount it you'd cut the paper around the tail and put the mounting board under it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Nice landscape practices. I like the bright blue sky and big rock.

If people want to sub in fruit that aren't shiny orbs, consider the physalis or lychee

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Shinmera posted:

I spent some days this week getting into drawing weapons and such for my game.

I like that your weapons are all nice and clean, functional looking things.

Here's my drawnuary catchup

Water colour pencils with some paint for the foam.

Water colour. Photgraphs nicer than it looks.

Inktense pans.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Pokéfruit.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Piloswine. Graphitint with a bit of inktense pencil for the yellow.

BTW, I love the Pile-o-swine picture :)

And I bought myself a pad of that Khadi stuff that Keetron uses, but got an uncovered one instead, so painted my own cover for it. Inktense pans.

Considering glueing up the sides to turn it into a block rather than a book.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Scoss posted:

Some more daily studies. I am convinced they're gonna be a disaster every time I start and for about 20 minutes into them, but after doing 12 so far honestly only one has turned out to be abject poo poo that I wouldn't post.

I really like this one.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Keetron posted:

:blush:

And here is the final one for January! Nidoqueen!

Highfives all around for all you wonderful folks for being here on this dead gay internet forum! It could not be like this without you. Know that we are one month in, one month(!) and we already have over 320 posts in this thread. Keep it up and keep the drawings coming!

Now redo your squirtle.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Keetron posted:

23. United Kingdom Czech Republic

Harsh. Really mean spirited tbh. :(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The last of my Drawnuary pictures. I admit I cheated with the Orange (being held by the big ghost pokemon), and Gastodon (appears in Captain Lime's briefing), but I feel I basically did them all.

Unlike Keetron I flitted around mediums and was working with poo poo paper so that I didn't feel bad about drawing mostly nonsense, but I think I'm a lot better with my various water soluble pencils than I was at the start. I'm probably going to redraw Blueberry onto proper paper, and planning to scan the entire set at work on Monday assuming our MFD doesn't choke on the paper.

I've got another project that I need to work on at the start of Feburary, so probably won't be doing the country sketches until the later half of the month.

And here's a couple of pictures from artsociety - our usual life-drawing lass, but with her kit on.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 1, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I kind of like Drawch as a name.

I might just do a prompt list (my pantry is very boring). Or Horse and Hand month

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Art dump time!

People on the Discord have seen some of these before, but since I just scanned them, here they are again.

March spring themed pictures

Tulips done with Sennellier pan water colours

Peach done with Kuretake Gansai Tambi watercolours

Life drawing
Two different sessions with our usual life model lass, this time with clothes on (once because it was very cold, and once because she was booked for costumed life drawing)

New lifedrawing model, a bloke. I was late to this session, so this was the only 20 minute pose I was there for, but he did a bunch of pretty dynamic 2-5 minute poses too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

HopperUK posted:

Oh what I love this!! I would frame this and put it on my desk. The sun looks so nice! Is that just a ring of white left unpainted and the sun painted in light yellow in the middle? The sun is a chore to me. ...so are watercolours tbh but I do try sometimes.

Basically, though I lifted too much from the edges and not enough from the middle - this paper really seems best for one or two washes and done rather than working into things a lot, despite being 100% cotton. Also it doesn't like being masked.

quote:

Today's Bob Ross is only so-so. I enjoyed doing it but the knife technique for mountains doesn't work on these tiny canvases so I had to improvise. And then I couldn't nail the right thin-ness of paint to get the highlights to stick. And the clouds are all stupid. Still my mum says she likes it so :shrug:

if anyone asks I'll tell them it's impressionistic that'll get me out of it

I don't know if you can go back into it at all, but I'd carry the big cloud to the left a bit more so that it's also visible on the left hand side of that tree. I really like the mountain texture and the grasses.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 8, 2020