Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i had to google kiwis because i couldn't remember how they look on the inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

lemonses

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Medenmath posted:

Thank you! I will have to get my hands on some glossy paper and try that out.

I used a bunch of bienfang graphics 360 paper in school for larger marker renderings, but later and in practice now, I just used bond paper or good printer paper. it's more absorbant than the bienfang stuff, but doable.

I also recommend looking up design marker rendering techniques -- it might give you a little better off an idea of how to show volume/curvature a bit more with them!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i don't think i've ever actually eaten a gauva

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i love all those little highlights!!!!

persimmons today, which i have actually eaten and love

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i bought a papaya once to try, but i got freaked out by the seeds. they look like little bugs!!!!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

a bowl of uh, cherries

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

didn't get a chance to do oranges yesterday, so i did em today

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

Oh man, I love the blue shadow!

blueberries! didn't notice the lil spots at the bottom when i saved it off

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

red currants today

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

forgot that two round things side by side look vaguely boob like

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

carambola today! i think this is my favorite so far.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

mangoos

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

saw someone post grapefruit so i thought it was grapefruit day, but that's ok i'll just find a new fruit tomorrow!!

also i can never get myself to actually draw in sketchbooks, but i blow through reams of paper sketching at work. i'm trying to switch to using my ipad for work sketches, but loose paper is just really convenient for quick sketches. which is probably why i can't get myself to use sketchbooks; it feels too formal!!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

lil figgies

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

nectarines

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

bones 4 beginners posted:

Thanks for your help. The step by step pictures made it really clear, but I'm still struggling a little with the perspective issue. I know it's day one stuff, but day one was like 15 years ago in my high school art class, so here I am! My main problem was that every time I drew the cube part it was hard to produce anything other than super squat cube, or so long it went off the page cube. Is it just a matter of adjusting the degree of the lines coming from the vanishing point over and over or is there a reliable way of getting it right a bit quicker?

Here are my attempts at implementing your advice:

on your horizontal ellipses, remember that the further below the horizon line something is, the wider the ellipse (in the minor axis). eg, the bottom of the jar should have a wider ellipse than the top.

when it comes to drawing products, it generally looks more impactful if you push this out a little further than is real, and add in some 3rd point perspective as well. in the jar case, the bottom ellipse would be slightly smaller, and the lines along the side would run v-like towards a point down below.

when i draw cylindrical product concepts i actually start with a cylinder rather than a cube, because the perspective concepts are the same, and it's just quicker.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Xanderkish posted:

Anyway, part of that project now involves figuring out how to mirror the first hand from a different perspective.

God help me.

for the underlying perspective, here's a couple quick guides for how circles in perspective fall in diff surfaces, as well as how to mirror angles on a surface:

take note especially of how the minor axis (with the arrows) changes on the top, right, and left sides, and especially how the ellipsis tilts on the right/left.

the point at which the angle meets will fall along the midline of this surface -- which can be found by making lines from the corners!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Hellbeard posted:

Cool! What if- flat colors /gray fills?

Anyway
Here is the revised drawing thanks very much for the critique please do it again so I can improve the drawing more (or the next one at least)

and some unicorn characters:

if i could give you a lil critique too, it would be to push the contrast about 20%, and especially use darker darks! there are a few areas (around where her hair meets her forehead, her underarm, boob-shadow, the core shadow on her thighs etc), that would look better with a bit more on the shadow, because right now there's some kinda flat looking surfaces.

the unicorn guy is a good example of showing those values, but he could also use just a little more punchiness on the contrast!!