Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Here's my first submission for drawnuary! A very weird squirtle.

Also I started a new thread in GBS, a "lets play" of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. If anyone familiar with the book could come in and help me with the chapter summaries from time to time, it would be greatly appreciated. Also draw along if you have the time.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3908831&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#pti2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Wow, that Keewee is adorable!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Still trying to teach myself digital painting, Here's my Sharpedo.

and I'm pretty disappointed my guava wasn't ripe, but it was till pretty tasty so whatever.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I'm so proud of you all and so happy to see so many taking part in drawnuary. I always find it exciting to see several artists' version of the same theme, it's like an Andy Warhol that you actually like looking at and that doesn't suck.

I had to google guavas, so I could give you Guaveon:

Wow, that's awesome looking, it looks so juicy.

Here's my skiddo!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
That's a really neat pattern/teture. I'm really digging it!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

Gnossiennes posted:

i bought a papaya once to try, but i got freaked out by the seeds. they look like little bugs!!!!

The seeds are actually kinda tasty, like peppercorn or capers. I wish I knew a recipe for them, other wise they'll go to waste.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I missed a day, but I'm already feeling blown out by painting the orange, so that'll have to do it for now.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

Gnossiennes posted:

didn't get a chance to do oranges yesterday, so i did em today

Oh man, I love the blue shadow!

lofi posted:

to use realistic colours would have been boring.

LoL

Keetron posted:

I am sorry if this in any deterred you from going all moebius as I am really looking forward to it (which is why I mentioned it)

You guys have inspired me to go ahead with my Ben Stern portrait even if no one else gets the reference.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Woot Woot doin catch up!

10. blueberry

11. Burmy Sandy

12. huckleberry (I couldn't find a huckleberry so I drew blackberries.)

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

Keetron posted:

Gissing this pokemon was disturbing.

Yeah, I think the worse I saw was a big tiddie insect wearing a bikini. But you know the guy who drew that drew one without the bikini too.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Here's my Lurantis sans tits

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

This one's my favorite, I really like the softness of the grassy areas, in contrast of the hard rocky areas.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I fell behind by alot. But I'm trying to get back into the swing of things and experiment more, with mixed results.

Mango

Grapefruit

Necterine

E: One more

Apircot

Johnny-on-the-Spot fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 26, 2020

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Some quick and dirty sketches of horses and riders from reference.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
A friend has fallen ill, and it prompted me to do my first water color in years. It ended up being more flat then what I intended but she liked it anyway.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

Here's a wip I've been playing with for the last couple weeks. Mostly I'm just posting because I'm super excited about the new drawing tablet I ordered. Its a Huion Kamvas 13 pro! I've never had a tablet with display so I can't wait to start playing with it.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I finished the wip I posted earlier. I ended up messing with the color for the sake of printing it. but now it looks oversaturated in rgb.

I think I'll start over now.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I've been trying to make a monster for a horror comic I want to draw. This is the last one I drew, and I think I'm getting close to what I want.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
No art, just a question. I'm using photoshop to draw, and I noticed something weird. When using the paint bucket I'm getting a different color than with my brush. Using the eye dropper lets me know the brush is fine, but the paint bucket is coming out darker. My file is in rgb, but I'm drawing in b&w using the gray scale sliders to pick my colors. My paint bucket is in the normal style mode so thats not it either. I can always work around it so it's not a big deal, just a head scratcher, and I'd like to know just why this is happening.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I did, and it was normal and 100%. When I used the eyedropper on the brush strokes, it was accurate to the color I selected. It was the paint bucket where the color changed.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I'm 99% sure the layer is set to normal, but both tools are being used on the same layer anyway.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I'm by no means an expert in illustrator. When I work in it, I'll scan in the rough drawing, and just trace it using the pen tool.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Lol, we're twinzies today.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

A bit of fan art I did for the Dresden Files. I'm debating whether or not to post it on my instagram, as I'm trying to go for a more professional curation.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

sigma 6 posted:

A quick ink pass. Thanks for the advice on the nostrils. Hopefully they are better now. Now I just wish the head wasn't a touch too big.

It looks awesome! I realy like the value and line work around the face. I think the size of the head could be forgiven with a little more work on her tank top, its a bit flat looking, and distracting, as it is now.

Doodle Tax;

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I downloaded autodesk sketchbook tonight to familiarize myself with the program, in order to help a friend who started getting into digital art. I'm loving it! I've been using photoshop forever just because I had access to from my job, and I'm almost considering switching altogether. I don't know, it just seems easier, and definately more streamlined for illustrating. I'm gonna keep playing with it.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

Hellbeard posted:

sometimes you need to draw something to take a break from what you're drawing and then you need to draw something else to take a break from drawing that....

True dat. I can't stop drawing lizard men even though I should be working on another project.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

A comic I worked too death, and am happy to finally finish and post. Ignore the instagram address.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

I've been loving your portraits sigma6! I was curious if there's a bigger project in mind with these, like a bestiary or something?

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I should be working on my artdome, but I'm procrastinating.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I've been working on a new comic project I'm excited about, and decided I wanted to go all out, and paint a cover image for each chapter. I've slowed down a bit again, and figured if I posted the WIPs I'd get some good advice, and be motivated to keep up the progress. The first issue revolves around delivering a pizza to an old decrepit mansion.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

sigma 6 posted:

Stop it. I am ALREADY in love with Sara Silverman!!

She's my favorite Disney Princess!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Wow, your faces are improving a lot and you're packing a lot more details into them. Nice!

I got a digital art n00b question. It looks like you're using large brushes for the body and blocking in general details, but then use small brushes when working on more detailed areas like the face. Are you using smaller brushes and zooming in to the face when you work on it?

I feel like I'm having trouble settling on a resolution and it feels like I'm constantly working on a drawing that's too small, but if I zoom in, I can't see enough of the drawing on the screen at the same time to figure out what I'm doing.

As far as being too zoomed in, most programs offer a multiple window display. So you can work in a zoomed in portion in one window, and see how it effects the whole picture in the other window. Its especially helpful if you have a multiple screen set up.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
My friends and I are going to be running a Star Trek Adventures game soon, and I couldn't stop myself from making portraits and character tokens for my players!

This is the initial concept for the character tokens. I wanted to keep them simple since I'll be printing them at a small size.

Next is a quick sketch of the first players. A Vulcan Science Officer raised on Ferenginar by his Emissary parents!

I wanted the final portrait to reflect the style of the tokens, but I'm worried it's lost some of the charm of it's sketch... There's still work to be done and I hope to get that magic back. I might also add a few effects to help soften the harshness of the block colors. Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Cool witch/hag! Did you draw those on the spot for your players?

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I'm an adobe bitch. Wish I knew all the bells and whistles better, but at least my job pays for the copy. I've been experimenting lately, and like what I've made.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Its really quite good! I really like the colors and I think the tonge was a much more interesting take than just the toothy smile!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I made a label for the beer I'll be bottling later today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Thank you! Hopefully the beer is just as yummy! Heres the final product!