Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Happy new year!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

This year we're doing Drawnuary! Like Inktober, but in january and more drawing, less inking! The idea is: you draw once a day, for the full month. Easy, right?
If you want a prompt list, here's one courtesy of Keetron:

This is good because I'm just as bad at thinking of things I want to draw as I am at actually drawing them.

I don't have any idea how to use these brush markers I bought, but they seem fun to play with.

Also I guess there are weekly Inktober prompts now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Angrymog posted:

You'll want to use them on glossy paper, or at least not super-absorbant paper or the paper will absorb too much ink. I like your Kiwi textures.

Thank you! I will have to get my hands on some glossy paper and try that out.

I found some colored pencils in my pile of old art supplies, and using them to draw Pokémon definitely feels very nostalgic.

Sharpedo has the weirdest proportions of any fictional animal.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Yeah. It's a steel type.

This is great and is giving me ideas for Eevees. I'm thinking a flying one with wings for ears, and a normal one that's just the same thing but fluffier (and named Eeveevee).

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 4, 2020

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Gnossiennes posted:

I used a bunch of bienfang graphics 360 paper in school for larger marker renderings, but later and in practice now, I just used bond paper or good printer paper. it's more absorbant than the bienfang stuff, but doable.

I also recommend looking up design marker rendering techniques -- it might give you a little better off an idea of how to show volume/curvature a bit more with them!

Noted! Thank you. :)

This rules.

I was low on time for the last few days, but here are some quicker drawings, some with more effort in them than others.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Budew is a boring Pokémon
But Burmy has a silly duckface that makes up for it
This was far too amibitous for my limited knowledge of anatomy
Apparently this is a pure grass type, which is absurd

This rules

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I am too lazy to quote the stuff that rules, which is everything. Lovely work everyone. :3:

I have come to the conclusion that I enjoy doing the line work for the Pokémon but not the colors, and the colors for the fruit but not the lines.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Keetron posted:

Can Sharpest Crayon please edit "peach" to "grape"?

Thank you so much, I wasn't looking forward to drawing a third barely-different stone fruit.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

This one's my favorite, I really like the softness of the grassy areas, in contrast of the hard rocky areas.

I really like this one too, especially since the big rock on the left kind of looks to me like the Zardoz head or maybe Darth Vader when it's in thumbnail . :v:

I really like the colors on this.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Tomateon turned Beefeon.

It doubles as Pumpkeon! :3:

To-mah-to

I bought some (very very cheap, crappy) gouache paints but don't really know what to do with them. I will have to conjure up some video tutorials. Are they basically like watercolor, but more opaque?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Shinmera posted:

Completed another animation.

I'm going way outside my comfort zone here criticizing someone with a lot more skill than I possess, but here goes - I looked at this for a long time because I felt there was something off, and I think it's that her head, torso and waist all move perfectly together. If the second swing is supposed to be her attacking something behind her maybe her head moving to look that way makes sense, but I still feel like she looks a bit too rigid for this kind of action.

Anyway, here are my garbage drawings.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Since passionfruit are so gross I drew the flower instead.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Keetron posted:

Super cute pile'o'swine!

Angrymog posted:

BTW, I love the Pile-o-swine picture :)

Thank you!

Two very rushed drawings to finish out the month.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

For Estonia I Googled up what is supposedly a traditional peasant's cottage. I might go back and color these at some point, I don't know.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
That's great, Sharpest Crayon. I must be a secret goth because I love plague masks.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

I love this.

I really need to set aside more time so I can invest more into each drawing.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Octolady posted:

Those are super cute, love the detail!

Brawnfire posted:

This looks like it could be in a tourist's notebook from anytime in the last few centuries, I love it.

Keetron posted:

The castles are really good!

:blush:

It turns out castles are fun to draw, but I'm not sure how to make vegetation look convincing. I'll have to Google up a bunch of ink drawings to steal some techniques.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Very loose line work is the result of a genuine understanding of impressionism or whatever and not at all a symptom of not wanting to spend any time on a drawing.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

Those castles look really good and better than my castle so I'm jelly.

Might paint another castle as a test for my new stuff.

Your castle ruled and blew mine out of the water, please do another!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Sharpest Crayon posted:

drat I love the mosslike texture you get with those paints. Also I want to live in this house.

Agreed, sweet textures there Keetron!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I want to watercolour all these fine castles, but especially this one. Argh, are you not dying to splash a bit of colour on here?

No :geno:

Well, maybe, but I've been sticking to pen this month due to limited time. But I did pick up some stuff...

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Keetron posted:

Your feeling for line weight and structure displayed in these small castle drawings makes them very attractive.

Your suggestion that I actually have any idea what I'm doing is very generous.

HopperUK posted:

These look like illustrations in a novel, I absolutely love them.

Thank you!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Keetron posted:

That is why I said feeling and not knowledge :grin:

Honestly that's still too generous, I just kind of throw the pen at the sketchbook and hope

HopperUK posted:

I'm gonna keep doing these till I get bored of em

I LOVE the pink sky in this.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I like it!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I want to watercolour all these fine castles, but especially this one. Argh, are you not dying to splash a bit of colour on here?

By request:

Technically this is acrylic gouache, not watercolor. Not really sure how I'm supposed to use this but diluting it and pretending it was normal watercolor seemed to go okay. I need more sizes of brushes is the main lesson I learned today.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

HopperUK posted:

Oooo I loved it without colour but that looks nice too.

Franchescanado posted:

It looks good! I think you got it right.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

Keetron posted:

Croatia

Not overly pleased, I'll be moving away from daily delivery and into "daily painting but put more effort in" for next month

I like it! I do like the idea of focusing more on quality. As a rank beginner I feel like I still benefit from trying to mash out a ton of stuff just to develop a habit, but it's not hard to notice (or predict) that the drawings I have more time for end up way better.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I was busy last week so I don't know if I'll finish my February castles. This month I want to try to focus on more deliberate practice, so here are some heads. It's surprisingly hard to find reference photos I like just by doing an image search for the word "person."

I also desperately need to break the habit of trying to draw everything the size of a postage stamp.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I tried to draw a horse because I heard they are hard to draw. It's true, they are! Also I failed to leave enough room for the tail.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
And just like that it's been months since I drew anything. Does anyone have any experience with online drawing classes (Proko, Pencil Kings, etc.)? I like the idea of specific classes rather than one-off YouTube tutorials or whatever because I feel like I could use the structure of regular "assignments." Plus that might help me focus on specific skills rather than just drawing random things and trying to remember what I did badly the last time.

I love this! :)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I've been doing drawabox. Still on lesson 1 but it's bringing to my attention a ton of bad habits that I have and will hopefully correct eventually.

I just wanted to say thank you for this suggestion - this site looks like exactly what I'm looking for, so I'll give it a shot.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I painted a tooth

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm not sure if this counts as a doodle but this is my creative project for today
(etc)

This is a pretty cool project. Do you have a specific use in mind for it, or is this just for the heck of it? I could see it being useful for making a comic or something like that.

Anyway I painted another tooth

I have no idea what I am doing but I have a nice little CMYKW gouache set that is fun to mess around with.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

HopperUK posted:

Good tooth! How are you enjoying gouache in general? I have one of those jelly gouache sets but I'm thinking of buying something a bit better to gently caress about with.

Thank you! I've painted all of two or three things with them and I have very little experience, so it's hard to say anything meaningful, but I'd say I enjoy them. The paints I have are an acrylic gouache set from Holbein, so I'm not sure if they're technically gouache or if the acrylic content makes it something else. So far I've only been using a tiny bit of the pigment with a bunch of water since I tend to like washed out colors.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

HopperUK posted:

This reminds me of that game 'Flower'. Gorgeous.

Agreeing with this. Shinmera, if having no other ideas leads you to do landscapes, don't feel down about that, because your landscapes are great.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Oh man I loved the Tactics Advance games, and I love that Ezel.

Shinmera posted:

Oh, I didn't mean it in that way. Landscapes are just an easy idea for me, that's all.

Good! :) Sorry if I was reading into your post or something.

HopperUK posted:

Cute! That's a very good 'looking at phone' face.

Today I mucked about with gouache! I like it. No idea what I'm doing mind

Agreed. Also I love this too, it has a great texture to it.

Attempted skull #1, a pencil sketch

Attempted skull #2, acrylic gouache

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

HopperUK posted:

great skulls but I can't help noticing you forgot to add muscles and skin and eyeballs and stuff, just some feedback for you there

(really nice dang)

drat it I knew i forgot something (thanks!)

Here's a pelvis

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

I need to get out of the habit of just copying from a reference :( Maybe I'll try something like DrawABox although it looks so boring

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Well your skulls are a lot better than mine, that's for sure

I was feeling lazy today, and also I find I have a problem where I labor over drawings for ages and it doesn't help make them any better, so I tried to draw these as quickly as possible and with minimal preparation.

As far as the criticism controversy goes, I started to post in this thread again because I'm in my occasional "I want to learn to draw" phase, so I'm fine with it myself. Although my skill level is low enough still that I often feel like I don't really know what to do with advice I get.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
More skull

deep dish peat moss posted:

Cool tooth with strong geometry :c00l: and thanks! It's just for the heck of it but also for anything I want to make that involves text, I am bad at keeping lines of text straight and even so I need a font to do it for me

Here is the finished version of it:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/eroi8rexz7q4izx/Handwasher-Regular.otf/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/eklob03h9hjll2h/Darkwaveduk-Regular.ttf/file

Neat :) This seems like such a fun project.

Claeaus posted:

Watercolor paper and ink pens arrived, this was fun!

This is great. I love watercolor and ink together.

HopperUK posted:

this weekend I am exhausted so I'm just playing with rainbow scratch cards. Cute! Gonna try something more intricate I think.

I haven't thought about these things in years and now I want to go buy some. :3: