Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I hope this isn't the wrong thread for this question...

How long does it take until the "muscle" of drawing starts to form? I'm pretty motivated to learn, I've been working my way through Proko and DrawABox. I fill in a few sheets a day, but I can rarely draw Loomis heads or boxes for more than ten minutes before I put the notebook aside for half an hour or so. The idea of drawing another box just feels exhausting.

I assume it's like running (real muscles) or other focused activities (coding, meditation) wherein I will get better at long stretches the more I do it, but I was wondering if anyone could speak to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Good point. Thanks. I feel like my ability to draw what I see in my head is so far removed from what I see in my head that drawing is more frustrating than fun. I know it's a very long road, and I'm probably a year or two away from borderline competence, just trying to get those 10,000 hours in.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Thanks for the feedback, all. I don't know how I missed the DrawABox mandate to draw for fun. We'll see how that helps me avoid burnout.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Accountability post.

I got a stylus today (a Huion Inspiroy H1060P, if it matters).

I've never been able to get myself over the hump of drawing. Watching my brother and my son bond over drawing reminded me how everybody in my family can draw except me.

I think I hate drawing because I hate, hate eraser marks. Dirty lines, etc.

A friend noted that if I got a digital stylus, I could work in layers, just like I do with my layout stuff. I had Affinity Photo so I said "gently caress it."

My son has a Christopher Hart draw shapes book, and I can't attempt Draw a Box again. So I'm just going to spend a month working my way through a kid's drawing book, because at least I'm making output, and I'll learn my stylus.

Day 1.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Spinz posted:

OK I'm not just humoring you maybe that's exactly how it looks in the book but it's cute as hell, the face and head

Thanks!

The entire book looks like this: https://christopherhartbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/SHAPE-BY-SHAE-ANIMALS-1-e1507295518707.jpg

I can’t take much credit. But it’s the first time I’ve drawn a “thing” (instead of practicing boxes) in twenty years, so I’ll take the compliment.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
January accountability post #2.

Tried Affinity Designer instead of Photo. Couldn't get the hang of vector drawing, switched to Pixel mode, which felt like an inferior Photo.

Probably bit off more than I could chew, trying a bunch of different brush sizes.

I'm going to watch some photos on clip masks in Affinity Photo (I think those words go together) tomorrow at lunch, because painting on layers has to be a little easier.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Shinmera posted:

Release announce drawing for my game, Kandria

#1922: 30 minute landscape sketch

Oh poop, I saw this on hacker news today! Congrats! Envious re lisp.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Shinmera posted:

Thanks! Why envious?

#1923, quick sketch

I'm envious that you're getting to work with Lisp in a production environment. Maybe not you, not sure how big the team is.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Accountability post #3.

Learned about clipping masks. Very useful. Trying to figure out Affinity Photo versus Designer. Not sure what digital drawing program I should be using (stylus, windows).

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Duuk posted:

How are you finding Affinity?
I've been tempted to try it out, I liked the demo of the previous Photo, but it's hard to justify when I already have something that works.

I don't know?

I love the Affinity suite for what I use it for (mostly making tabletop RPG handouts), and I've used the three apps a lot (for a hobbyist).

The fact that I've used them so much is why I chose them now that I've started drawing. But I've attempted four drawings with my stylus and three of them are in this thread. I'm going to try Krita out later tonight, but I just don't really have anything to compare Affinity to as a drawing program.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I tried the vector brush for a wee bit and I just don't think I've figured it out. The look is what I'm going for, but the idea of not erasing, just moving node points or whatever, hasn't quite clicked yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Shinmera posted:

#1929: Our D&D group is going to a fancy party soon and I couldn't resist drawing Siina's outfit for it.

This is literally the level I aspire to. I just want to be able to convey what I'm thinking to my RPG table. Very nice.