Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

New year boi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Heheh. This made me laugh.

My year in review for 2D work. I am sure it is missing a few things since I don't always document every little sketch. However, this is the majority of it I think. Missed completing Inktober by a few days, which was very disappointing, as I finished it last year.

2D Year in Review

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Another sketch of a Jordu Schell sculpt.

lofi posted:

Real colours boring colours.

"real" colors?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 10, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

lofi posted:

to use realistic colours would have been boring.

Oh - I thought you meant "real" as in traditional vs. digital.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

lofi posted:

:allears: I'm so tempted by it, everything I hear makes it sound amazing, but :10bux:

Loved the musical as a kid but... I just... can't. Such a cash grab movie. Also can't stand half the cast. Jame Corden? Blecchhhh.

Here is yet another in series of sketches based on Jordu Schell's work. Forgive the extreme angle. Was trying to get rid of the shadow my camera was making. Should have just scanned it.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I also enjoy this artwork.

Here is my attempt at digitally fixing an old / lost painting. It didn't make it in the move to the east coast. Tried to make some logical color correction and a few other minor fixes.

Original here:

I may have lost too much color data but I wanted to emphasize the lighting and that half the composition was in shadow to begin with. Doesn't help that the original photographer tweaked so much in post. Hm. Not sure if I was too heavy handed.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 21, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

The Halogens posted:

The dark, bold colors do a lot for it IMO.

Yeah - I think I like the high contrast / dramatic lighting a lot more. You were talking about my painting right?

Gotta find the old reference somehow but I might try to do a digital painting pass in photoshop before printing it. Just not sure how well that will work given the difference in brush texture.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Ermmm....

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sorry for so much crossposting but I thought you guys might want to see this too.

Continuing to struggle with the laser burner. Getting some better results but midtones are a bitch.
So frustrated with raster based images I am about to split out the tones into separate images like one would for screen printing. *ugh*
Had to ink back over this one to make it work a little better.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

lofi posted:

Have you thought about trying different wood? It looks like you're using plywood there, and that has a ton of glue in (I think), that might be part of the problem.

Baltic Birch seems to be the wood of choice but it is relatively expensive. Definitely need to figure out which polyacrylic / lacquer to use as well.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Another sketch based on a Jordu Schell sculpt.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Skratte posted:

yeah it's just colored pencil and pen on paper. Those sketchbooks that are grey or tan are the best.

Yup. Nice work.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I love these. Here is a sketch from goth night.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

The Lighthouse.

I spent a few hours drawing this and now all I can think about is: Why is he so surprised about having food caught in his teeth?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Nick Cage no. 3

Gandalf Cage is best Cage.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

A little more on this.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sketchy guy.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 20, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Carth Dookie posted:

Looking forward to finding out if they're as good as some random YouTuber hyped them up to be enough to convince me to buy them.

Now I am curious. What is the verdict?

In this episode of "daily art is hard".... I find out bigger markers / brushes work better for background gradients. Ugh.

So good... the eyes are mesmerizing, along with the hair.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Phylodox posted:

That's fantastic! Just one thing seemed a bit off (maybe intentionally), so I tried rotating the lady's eyes just a tiny bit:

I think it lines up a bit better with the angle.

For what is worth, I agree.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Confused about what the guy is holding. A cigarette, a cigar, or a flashlight?

Also - doesn't look like you took the advice with her eye angle.

Not really a daily drawing as more practice with the laser burner.
Design by Eli Quinn

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

One more by Mr. Quinn. This one was a bitch because the settings for cardboard as so much more sensitive than wood. 1 % can make the difference between engraving vs. cutting. Must have made at least 8 failed attempts trying to get settings right and I am still not happy with the results.

What this REALLY teaches me is I need to get better with Illustrator or maybe inkscape. My graphite shading just doesn't translate that well and frankly grayscale / midtones are very hard to capture well with a laser engraver.

Anybody know of any great Adobe Illustrator tutorials for (mostly) newbs.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 19, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Charcoal is the best!!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Crossposted from the Traditional Art thread.

One last burn of Zoben / Eli Quinn's work.

This one took 4 passes but it turned out much better than the last one. Like I said - wood is more forgiving than cardboard.

With wood it is a question of getting the contrast you want. With cardboard it is the same but even a tiny fraction too much will burn holes through.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I need to get back to drawing / painting. Lately I have been spending fart too much time playing with laser burn settings.

Design by Eli Quinn. Engraving works so much better with no midtones.

Sin City style "shading" for example.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Typos. Can't take'm back now.

lol

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 26, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

So good! How do I learn to paint like this?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Late night collab with a friend of mine. He passed out and I kept working on it. Maybe he will do another pass (?) Acrylic and colored pencil and ink. Note that Microns get ruined easily against oil based colored pencil. loving sakura microns. I have a love / hate relationship with them.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Gorgeous! Microns are a bit delicate then? I love the Faber-Castell artist pens but I don't do much with ink atm.

Yeah - they can be very delicate and dry / run out of ink easily. I dunno - trying to ink over the colored pencil just ruined the pens. My collaborator said it was to be expected because of the nature of the medium. What can I use for fine line ink other than a rapidograph? Or should I just start using quills? lol

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

This is awesome.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Hellbeard posted:

Thank you. I think it's good advice. I'll try to take it into consideration when I work on a new drawing.

In the meantime here is a commission drawing of a D&D character - Warforged Monk:

and this post apocalyptic landscape with gecko drawing commission for a goon:

This is pretty great. Been awesome to see your work progress so much.
As for me... I don't think I have drawn a single thing since this pandemic started. Some people make art to relieve anxiety. In my case I can't seem to focus on art at all anymore. Too much chaos going on around me all the time and the feeling that I can't get away from it because of stay at home orders. It occurs to me that so much drawing I used to do in social places like bars or clubs or makerspaces but not so much at home. I live with 6+ people, so it seems like there is always some kind of drama and the lockdown is making people particularly crazy / edgy etc.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Hair on this is fantastic.

Finally started drawing again. Forgot how much i like ballpoint.

Should have desaturated the image though. Ballpoint gives it s a weird sheen. You can see it in the corner above the eye.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

HopperUK posted:

I'll be honest, I can't see what you mean. Fantastic picture. I love the slight sneer on their face.

Big watercolour today! Excuse the wibbles where the paper flexed. I did have it taped down but not aggressively enough apparently, haha.

Thanks. He is based on a Jordu Schell sculpt, who is an amazing sculptor.
Nice watercolor work. Have you tried Fabriano cold press 40lb? That was the one I used when I painted and it almost never warped. Super thick paper which I could use for watercolor OR acrylic painting.
Did this a whle back with it. Sadly, I have lost both paintings I made with the fabriano paper and acrylic glazing technique.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 14, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

The Halogens posted:

Slowly climbing out of a funk.

This is both great and creepy.

NAG posted:

Late night drawing

Richard Pryor?

I want to get better at drawing using Adobe Illustrator. Anyone have any general tips of resources they might want to share? Main reason I want to get better with Illustrator is because the vectors work best with the laser burning I have been doing.

Speaking of laser engraving. First and second design are mine. The girl(s) are a famous surrealist photographer. Beer coasters with polycrylic finish.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 22, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Oh WTF?? Seriously???

I am living in the middle of a love triangle here which involves domestic violence. Not part of the triangle, just stuck in the middle.

Now I get on the forums and read the stickied note at the top. What in the actual gently caress? Ugh.
:suicide:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Be safe mate.

Thanks. Finally just left the house to visit family an hour away.

Another sketch of a Jordu Schell sculpt.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

And another...

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Still going through old work to burn to coasters. I think these turned out fairly well. Will get back to posting drawings soon. Landlord just kicked out all 6 people so he could move back in to his house. *sigh* Hard to get work done in all this chaos and now I find myself looking for a new place. Seems like every day has been... now what? Domestic violence? Rioting? House on fire? Let's spin the wheel of fortune.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks. So late to the game on the etsy / maker thing but I guess I am going that route. Using a laser to recreate my art is so satisfying but at the same time there are a billion laser burned coasters on etsy.

Recently I bought an aluminum die cut piece of art and was blown away by it. However I think the guy who sold it to me just wanted to collect canvases vs. a big chunk of metal. Like - hey - METAL lasts longer! Art is meant to last. Or at least for most artists, I think that is the intent.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Sunflower! I get it.

I'm proper pleased with this one.

Nice work!!