Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've just woken up on my sofa with a hangover. An appropriate start to the Worst decade :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I work for a wealth management firm and think it's pretty funny that rich people's cash is paying my salary, while we provide a service to them that's inferior to the results they'd get if they just stuck their cash in a tracker fund and left it there. That is my capital/ labor story.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Beefeater1980 posted:

I KNEW IT!

(Same when my old law firm represented a Murdoch company once. Every extra hour I photocopied documents as a trainee at his managers’ request cost him an infinitesimally small fraction of his fortune, and in the end I’m p sure the case was lost as those managers were 100% chancing it so as to avoid owning up to whatever it was they messed up.)

I'm pretty sure that most people only sign up to wealth management firms so they can say stuff like : "So, I was talking with my stockbroker today and..." at dinner parties. Unless you're seriously rich and eager to do tax dodging stuff, there's no other point to it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Private Speech posted:

I thought they managed to finally get some F35 planes off that thing? Granted as just training flights, but still.

Doesn't make it any less ridiculous. Unfortunately the US is perfectly capable of going at it alone.

e: This reminded of a "Life in the UK" test question about whether Britain played a leading role in the first iraqi war/desert storm. Somehow it did, apparently, as objectively determined by said test.

Well, in all fairness it did. It was at the end of the Cold War and our armed forces were much larger and more effective then. I think we commited 50,000 troops to the invasion?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Tom Watson is on BBC Breakfast News trying to claim that he had nothing to do with the manifesto and is also not a politician, both of which are weird claims for someone willing to get up at this hour in the morning to sit on a sofa and talk about the manifesto and politics.

Lobbying hard for that regular Guardian column.

Ms Adequate posted:

Iran is also not a political basket case: Leadership might be wankers but they are not Saddam-esque megalomaniacs. Military is led by some serious, professional generals who have training, experience, and competence, and aren't too likely to be overly messed with by a tinpot dictator or riven by tribal rivalries.
Iran has been expecting this since 1979 and one imagines they have drawn up extremely detailed plans and contingencies.

Correct: Iran's military doctrine is specifically formulated around their key threat being an attack by the US and its based on the lessons learned from watching previous US invasions of Iraq. Unlike Saddam's military, which was highly centralised and staffed by cronies at the senior level, Iranian officers are encouraged to use their own initiative and be able to fight independently in smaller formations without waiting for specific orders. Iran's influence-building across the Middle East is part of the same strategy: it aims to push the front lines of any war away from Iran proper and to maximise the damage and instability in the event of the US starting something.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
So, I'd considered voting for Starmer in the leadership election but after his tepid response to Trump's latest piece of stupidity, I'm gonna be RLB all the way. gently caress 5 years of Johnson wrecking poo poo while Starmer opines that : "Now is not the time to be dragging politics into this."

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jose posted:

Got a job interview later today for one I'm wildly underqualified for lol

As a rule, if you can do half the poo poo they specify in the job description, you're a potential. Unless it's for, like, a lifeguard job and you do have your own swimming kit but can't actually swim or something.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

Now I'm stuck watching compilations of insane americans in 4x4s gunning it or trying to steer with the brakes locked in snow.

I like the enormous pileups in snowy, foggy conditions where vehicle after vehicle of texting, distracted drivers blindly slams into the ever-expanding tangle of metal at 50+ mph.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Given Meghan's background as a confident, successful person in her own right, I never thought she'd last in the Royal Family. Congrats on managing to drag poor Harry to freedom along with her, though.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I guess that the leadership candidates have judged that this is the price to pay to make the whole AS thing go away and allow the party to move on. I'm pretty baffled though, as I can only see it causing additional conflict: there'll be huge pushback from within the party and such a total capitulation from the leadership will only encourage the people who made this list to immediately come up with even more extreme and unreasonable demands.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ronya posted:

it would not shock me if the next leader does whip the party to stay within the dotted lines on I/P and A/S - if the leader can grit his teeth and say that Israel has a right to exist, 1967 borders, &c, then so can the membership; people who just cannot endure going without denouncing Israel as a racist endeavour &c. might well be considered acceptable losses. There is no obvious reason why a left-wing movement that could (and did) demand compromise on core issues like austerity, immigration, nuclear disarmament, &c cannot also survive doing so on I/P... single-issuers are gonna single-issue but conversely that's how big tents work.

The end game is to force Labour to end its support for the Palestinian cause and to declare that the Israeli Occupation is completely cool and the Labour Party's ok with it. The people attacking Labour for AS aren't going to stop until they get that outcome. Personally, I think that it would do the party no harm to talk about it a little less (after all, there are many, many bad things going on in the world, of which Israeli oppression of Palestinians is only one) but to switch to tacitly or openly supporting a gross injustice due to unfair external pressure is such a craven and cowardly thing to do that it sticks in my throat. I'd prefer to see the attacks continue forever rather than see Labour abandon its principles like that.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tesseraction posted:

Would it? Unless you put obvious cunts like Pollard on it then I don't see this being as big of an issue.

The trouble is, I can absolutely imagine that the panel would be made up of people like Pollard and the Labour party would have explicitly given up any power to complain or object. You're assuming an intention to act in good faith which is... optimistic, given the behaviour we've seen over the last few years.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The rain came down so fast on my walk home that the streets were awash with water.

I keep looking at that ten points thing and every time I look it gets worse. There's no way the membership will stand to have that imposed on them.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The earlier books were properly edited: once Rowling got too big to be challenged, they swelled into Stephen King- style zillion page monstrosities.

The conflict between the pure-blooded traditionalist wizards and the middle-class incomers like Harry is also awfully centrist: Potter and his pals don't have any fundamental problem with rigid hierarchies, they just think that the wrong people are at the top.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

StarkingBarfish posted:

Guardian live feed is extremely salty about the inevitable momentum backing of rlb. Photo showing her beside corbs, saying turnout was low, and then the next post is about how starmer comes out top as a 'strong leader'

Yep! You see, Starmer is 'electable' (i.e. is acceptable to the political and media Establishment), while rlb is 'unelectable' (i.e. is not acceptable to the political and media Establishment). Therefore, a rlb victory will be proof of Labour's continuing disastrous lurch to the left and abandonment of even wanting to win an election and blah blah blah every huffy Guardian article for the next 5 years.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Niric posted:

There's a lot to parse in this article, both good and bad, but I thought this was an interesting take even though there's an awful lot to disagree with. It seems to come from a Brexit & Blue Labour sympathetic position, so there's certainly plenty of arguable and downright infuriating assumptions and statements, but the account of centrism and its electoral failings in particular I thought was well made, and it's worth reading the whole thing to get a slightly different analysis that's critical of both liberal centrism and Corbyn-style leftism.

Gray doesn't quite say this, but when he's talking about the New Labour project I think he touches on something that really doesn't get mentioned at all by people harking back to Blair: the tactic of directly and explicitly bringing the professional middle classes into your project only works when they aren't already your core vote. Labour's electoral coalition, and electoral problems, are not the same in 2020 as they were in 1992 (or 1987, or 1983)

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/01/why-left-keeps-losing

I've said it before, but John Gray could save himself a lot of typing simply by writing: "Everyone in the world is stupid, except me :smug:" and leaving it at that. He does have flashes of insight but they're always buried under an avalanche of pompous, old-man: "This statement is true because I assert that it is" intellectual laziness.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Rarity posted:

Yeah I imagine I'm going to have to but I'm so tired of this poo poo. I just want it dealt with and now I've gotta deal with everything all over again. I got home from work and it's taken 45 mind to come out of sleep mode and it's still not usable. How is a new computer this poo poo?

New laptops are also typically filled with lovely bloatware that you don't want or need. Go through the list of installed software and uninstall all the garbage that you don't need and set the rest to run when you open it, rather than on startup. Whenever I buy a new piece of hardware these days, the first hour is spent in a ruthless weeding session where I get rid of all the crap that comes pre-installed.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Coohoolin posted:

I'm skipping a few pages but wanted to post that imo the recent Sanders Warren smear thing is a good example of how to fight the press- just deny it, don't give an inch, always say the correct thing, never apologise for something you didn't do.

I got sick of Corbyn apologising for poo poo. If he just said "there is no problem with antisemitism in the leadership" what are you gonna do? You can only repeat the initial slur instead of going "ah hah! He apologised! That means we were right".

Apologising never works, it's not going to convince people who weren't labour voters to begin with, and it will only grant enough credence to the smears that it will push away fence sitters.

Yeah, think about how much apologising and soul searching Labour has done over the last few years and it's not made a blind bit of difference. The people making the attacks just regard it as weakness and double down. It's a failed strategy and the thing that makes me most nervous about all of the candidates in the leadership election is that apparently they're just going to continue with more of the same.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Jess one step closer to her natural destination as a celebrity famous for being famous, with regular appearances on Strictly, Great British Bakeoff and the sofas of breakfast tv programmes.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Eh, I've put stuff back and walked out of shops multiple times 'cos there's a big queue at the till and someone at the front fannying around instead of just handing over their money and pissing off out of the way like they're supposed to. Life's too short, you know?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

crispix posted:

So do those men get aroused when Hilary Benn makes a speech about how brilliant it would be to use the air force to bomb Syria or when IDS makes a speech about clamping down on benefit scroungers :dong:

There's a reason why floppy-dicked old men are super-stoked about giant nuclear submarines firing potent, unstoppable missiles all over the place and yes, it's the obvious one.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, it's always dispiriting to see poorer people who've bought into the propaganda fretting about 'scroungers'. They're fighting over crumbs while the billionaires stroll off with the pie.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The IT systems of the big banks are all built on a massive, creaky architecture of layer upon layer of software, with the bottom layers often dating back to the 1970's. It's much too difficult and expensive to replace it all, so they just apply patch after patch and hope that the whole mess more or less keeps sticking together.

For example, HSBC's first IT processes were set up using Fortran, in 118 a.d.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Rolex are pleb-tier mechanical watches anyway, anyone who's anyone goes for Patek Philippe.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm now remembering the period of my career where I was working in an industry that bought me to the annual Basel watch and jewelry trade fair. The watches on display there were pricey as hell but gently caress me, they were beautiful pieces of machinery. If you're going to piss away money on an unnecessary luxury, a Swiss mechanical watch is one of the better ways of doing it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

thespaceinvader posted:

Who the gently caress even needs a wristwatch any more when you have a phone that literally learns the time from the central source of what time it is on your person at all times?!

Posh watches are the one generally acceptable piece of male jewellery :eng101:

Men, especially in a business context, can't wear necklaces or brooches or big dangly earrings but they can wear a fancy watch. If you peer through the window of a posh jewellery shop, you'll see that the men's watches tend to be big, chunky devices that are designed to be noticable. That's because they're the only way in which businessmen can display their wealth (and therefore importance) without going round with their annual income written on their foreheads.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If you're really posh (or massively pretentious), you can wear a signet ring with your family's crest on it on your little finger!

(Much of my career has been spent in extracting money from rich people in return for providing goods and services of extremely dubious usefulness. I feel that it's better for me to have their money than them.)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, there are cufflinks too

I am currently linked to St James' Place and questions have been raised about how awarding SJP Partners cufflinks of gold/ platinum/ diamond encrusted etc based on how much value they've been able to extract from wealthy clients is actually in those clients' best interests.

I think it's loving hilarious and that's before we get to the practice of sending successful Partners and their families on 'business meetings' that consist of luxury cruises around the Greek archipelago, which is also paid for by the aforementioned wealthy clients.

In short, rich people can be surprisingly gullible but it pays my mortgage so whatever.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

I genuinely do not cease to be amazed how many loving journo melts can not recognize that particular piss take.

The 'opinion forming' classes are lazy as hell and not actually particularly bright, although they invariably have impressively large egos.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Also, I've just looked at a list of Catherine Bennett's articles and it's a collection of the most vacuous, 'my 2 cents' page filler imaginable.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tesseraction posted:

Piss Polly has come out with her endorsement for leader: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/28/labour-split-affection-corbyn

Keir Starmer, to reunite the party rather than allow Rebecca Wrong-Smelly to homocorbynise the party further (ps she's an antisemite)

I can't face reading this, so could you just post the most annoying paragraph for the same effect?

Polly Toynbee has written 129 articles attacking Jeremy Corbyn in the last 12 months.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Guavanaut posted:

Does this mean that fine art was lying to me all along?

More importantly, why didn't they make it base 28, to include the sheep's toes?

Easy.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tesseraction posted:

Now I'm imagining a 5m tall French lady.

But how big would her feet be

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

The Libearian posted:

They all speak like little old men, presumably because those are their peers in the scene?

Haha, I was buttonholed by a small child on a platform years ago who was really into trains and I remember being struck by how there was something oddly elderly about his speech patterns. Your post just bought it back to me.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's episodes that haven't aged well but I'd say it still holds up. Bambi is the best one though and probably did more to shape me than my entire school career.

The dash to the train station (filmed at Bristol Temple Meads!) with accompanying music by Motorhead is the single greatest piece of television ever filmed.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I was at the St James' Place annual conference in London today. It was an unsettling mix of the normal corporate woo and some brutally to the point presentations about how if we don't urgently combat climate change our civilisation is hosed and that's really not in our client's best interests.

It really brings it home when ftse 100 directors are getting up on stage and saying: "yeah, on current projections South London is going to be underwater in a few decades and that'll really mess our long-term growth up, so we'd better do something, kinda now-ish?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just accept your crippling alcohol addiction you cowards.