Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Decade's gonna be lit fam.

On fire.

By enraged populations.

baka kaba posted:

quad post - powerful decade

M-M-M-MONSTER POST!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Count me as another one who didn't conceive of eating beans until reminded of it.

Best of luck in this decade to all goons. May your cats blep and your biddygames never crash.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

josh04 posted:

You've never had the fabled two-day hangover? It's hateful.

I had one of these in uni.

It impressed a lifelong change to my drinking habits upon me. :v: Never let it be said that that institution fails to impart great wisdom.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guys I've got it. It'd take a parachute into a safe seat when the opportunity arises due to by-election, but I know who we need to become Labour leader.

Jo; of Swinson.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Angepain posted:

she is going to be the next prime minister. the leaflets hath foretold it

As shite as everything is, the fact that Jo and the entire centrist world managed to gently caress themselves right over and she lost her seat and hosed us into a hard Brexit still has me lolling almost a month later. Like, hard Brexit obviously bad, but that they managed to perfectly cause it is just amazing. :discourse:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

suck my woke dick posted:

tbf I literally want these people to just die off from old age and lack of NHS care after 5 years of post Brexit Toryism. these are the boomers who will stand in the way of any social progress and latch onto dumb culture war bullshit because change is scary and minority rights will advance one flag-waving chud heart attack at a time

It's sad that it's coming with such a cost but it's a self-solving problem. The olds are generally the ones most in need of good social care and a strong NHS and they keep voting to abolish both.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The military industrial complex wants a nice, long drawn-out conflict, not a short one. The harder it is to invade, the more toys they get to sell both sides us.

Sure, but the political sphere can only tolerate so much loss these days. Selling against the fear of wsr is just as good, and runs far less risk of unpredictable things like a peacenik government getting in.

I've talked before about invading Iran and it's inherent folly but to sum up:
Iran's terrain is incredibly hostile and mountainous. It's also huge, like it's the size of Mongolia.
Iran is not an impoverished basket case. Not a first world level of wealth, but they have a healthy economy that can sustain a military.
Iran is as populous as Germany, way more than Iraq and Afghanistan combined. Abundant people with military training.
Sanctions have led to a very strong domestic arms industry. In turn makes them far harder to cut off or attrit. Said gear is also of decent quality, cf. shooting down that US drone last year.
Iran is also not a political basket case: Leadership might be wankers but they are not Saddam-esque megalomaniacs. Military is led by some serious, professional generals who have training, experience, and competence, and aren't too likely to be overly messed with by a tinpot dictator or riven by tribal rivalries.
Iran has been expecting this since 1979 and one imagines they have drawn up extremely detailed plans and contingencies.

Like yeah the US and allies can win the war but I expect it to be vastly more expensive in both treasure and blood than the public will expect, and there's no way to win the peace in a country of 80 million people who inhabit a mountainous country the size of Mongolia and which will probably be flooded with arms by absconded soldiers, smugglers, and likely caches set up by the government in advance (i.e. right this minute).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

For the past few days (possibly longer but i haven't been sleeping so I've only noticed now), birds outside my window have been continuously twittering throughout the night. Is this... normal? I thought they only started up at dawn

In summer those fuckers start up at 3am, no idea what their deal is for you though. Artificial light messing with them?

Hi everyone I am very sick good start to 2020!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I genuinely wonder if Trump is even aware that the Iranian Hostage Crisis has been over for awhile now. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if his swiss-cheese smoothbrain thinks it's ongoing, and that he just heard about Operation Eagle Claw breaking bad this morning.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

If Starmer could find half an ideology, even a more centrist one, as long as it wasn't purestrain Blairism, he would be a tolerable candidate for me. Certainly the best of the melts, which I realize is damning with faint praise, but I mean, any living human faced with the choice between him and Jess Phillips would see that can very much be degrees of significant difference in the melt field. Except Jess Phillips of course.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

If you really want to keep foreigners out, just make the Life in the UK test be to explain any part of this.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

That line African American parents stereotypically tell their kids: "You'll have to work twice as hard to get half as far."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

RLB mandate homosexuality so I can call her Rebecca Strong Gaily

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Populous The Beginning slapped hard

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Come out ye Black and Tans,
Come and join us hand in hand,
We're truly sorry for the trouble that we caused you,
And now we truthfully do see,
That to protest the RIC,
We should have written letters to request policy reviews

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

Why exactly would the RoI want to celebrate the brits in any way?

"As long as those eejits keep tripping over their own dicks, it's all but impossible for us to look bad."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I assume Dom Cummies has managed to sell himself as utterly vindicated on all fronts and now he LARPs around like the most slovenly Dr House, all eccentricities/twattery forgiven because his genius is too superlative to discard.

ps: Very, very good pupper

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

:100: Absolute club banger

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USu8vT_tfdw

?

I am a big fan of whichever rear end in a top hat designed a bridge to give haircuts to 12 foot box trucks.

The Durham, NC bridge is evidence that there is still something redeemable in the culture of the Anglosphere :allears:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I love that we may still be going to war with Iran and they Iranians may have accidentally downed a jet liner and Australia's still on fire and who knows what's happening with the Trump impeachment and we've Brexit to still sort

But almost every front page is going absolutely ballistic over Harry and Meghan not being super into the royal life

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Everyone else has the dick presence and functionality they desire, but BobbyThompson's is instead contrary to his desires.

e; Can we all bow our heads for a moment of silence for Bundy, thought of The Rise of Skywalker and died

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Honestly it seems like the smart play from Brenda would be a very simple one:

"Okay, it's not ideal but we understand. If you're willing to do a few functions in Canada and the US to help keep ties strong then you can go with our blessing."

Having an 'outpost' of the royals in NA would ostensibly help strengthen ties with Canada as a Commonwealth nation, and help jazz up the yanks about how great the UK is because they go wild for the royal family. Could have sold it as part of reshaping the monarchy into a modern institution and yadda yadda, international ties, global outlook, friendship to all, hopes for a peaceful and prosperous tomorrow.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Well, I have that too, it's called being a cyborg and having raw binary for blood :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Buffy was good, actually.

Also it may be basic of my but so was Firefly.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

To be clear I've watched Firefly through like, twice. It's not like Babylon 5 where I can watch it annually and love it every time or something, and I don't stan it as the greatest show never completed. But... it's fun enough and I don't think we'd have been worse off if it had got a few seasons before they knifed it :shrug:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

endlessmonotony posted:

Okay what the gently caress is wrong with "pansexual" first of all?

And BG2 was followed by Neverwinter Nights, a fever dream of someone who really wanted to run a D&D campaign online and one of the very best games ever made. Then was Knights of the Old Republic, also not fitting that mold. And then we have Jade Empire, a wushu B-movie, ALSO not fitting that description.

Even the first Mass Effect was more Captain Kirk than any influence by Firefly.

Bioware's decay started when EA gutted their writing team (because they wanted The Old Republic to be a WoW-killer, and as EA, had no idea about how to manage anything but contracts with franchise holders) and honestly by the time your whining becomes even a little relevant most of their writing team was either TOR or just gone.

By the time your description makes any sense, the writing team was filled with fanfic writers, newbies and fanboys/fangirls... because they would work for less in the lovely conditions EA was willing to offer. The management had also gone to poo poo so it's just a bunch of characters being "clever" without any connection to the world around them because there was just nobody capable of making the writers work together. That was well, well after the rot had set in, and the rot was all executive level.

So please do try to defend your lovely, lovely post.

And Dragon Age was a sprawling epic very much in the vein of the BG games too. DA2 is pretty pansexual but that's actually a good thing because everyone should be able to enjoy loving Merrill/Anders/Fenris. The most recent Bioware games have been of declining quality for sure but that definitely doesn't stem from a desire to write quippy Whedonesque characters, even when those are present (At most I would say they're emblematic of the same thing - EA interference and changes in staffing). It's, like, not because of character dialog that Anthem is such a sack of dismembered dicks nobody realizes is less than a year old.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Camrath posted:

I like to avoid third degree burns- the liquid fudge is poured at 117c and sticks like hell so you really don’t want to get it on you.

GOON PRODUCES HOME-MADE NAPALM!!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm 90% sure DA2 is pansexual not because of artistic vision but because it maximises romance options per writing effort.

And I'm not sure why anyone would enjoy loving Merrill but suit yourself I guess.

Merrill is small and pure and did nothing wrong, and I'll fight anyone in the parking lot over this :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Well I didn't expect UKMT to one-two combo with hateful falsehoods but okay

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

endlessmonotony posted:

Also, Merrill, sure, enjoy your Aerie Rehash. But Anders? Sulky warcrime guy? Anders loving sucks.

Anders is the best character and he struck a blow for justice and freedom against an imperialist, colonialist, theocratic order that practices pseudo-slavery. Anders was 100% right. Anders-haters are liberals of the highest order, demanding he attempt change in a peaceable and non-violent manner even though A) He did that for seven years before an impending pogrom forced his hand and B) There's no shortage of violence inherent in the system against mages, but somehow it's not a problem until mages fight back.

(DA2 genuinely formed a part of my radicalization and for all its flaws I consequently have Feelings about my mage son :p)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I admit I was resigned to the left splitting, but I was not anticipating the argument "the left splitting is good, actually, and you should do that rather than compromise".

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Just call a General Strike already

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51086276

When u gently caress around so much with the executive that the one thing you didn't want to happen defaults to happening

grand work as always, DUP

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

crispix posted:

I am pretty sure they deliberately timed it so they could claim it was out of their hands so they could dodge having to deal with the inevitable.

That does make sense, that train was coming down the tracks one way or another, letting it get through like this and pretending it was an 'unfortunate' effect of the general chaos at Stormont is probably the smartest play they had.

I'm not a big HP fan but I have a good friend who is and she explained that she doesn't think it's some kind of literary revelation or anything, but that it happened to be There for her when she was going through stuff as a kid and her parents were fighting and divorcing and being abusive and stuff. So it's hard for something that has helped her emotionally to be discarded, even though she's raging about what a shite terf knob JKR has turned out to be.

Pesky Splinter posted:

My favourite part of Harry Potter lore is wizards used to poo themselves in their robes, and magic away the piss and poo poo.

This was truly an incredible thing for them to tell us, the reading public. What a day that was :laugh:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's a loving hypothetical trip to the moon. Yes I don't think anyone can guarantee my safe return from Lidl let alone Virgin not smashing me straight into the ground but that's not the spirit of the game is it? Someone asks you you want to go to the moon you say yes please.

Just such a sheer lack of adventure and imagination coming off you lot, honestly.

:hai:

I'd go to the Moon if there was a 50/50 chance I'd not be coming back, frankly. Hell you could probably push it higher than that.

There doesn't have to be anything to do there because you're on the loving Moon holy loving poo poo!

Like, do people not want to climb the sides of Vallis Marineris either? Scale Olympus Mons? Feel the rings of Saturn flow through your fingers?? Do people not want to experience things in their own right? I'm kinda wigged out that in a thread like this people think there needs to be a 'reason' to do stuff outside the joy/accomplishment of just doing it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The Deleter posted:

I think every aspect of this country is loving repulsive, and the people around me are awful, which is why my ideal holiday is to get as far away from them as possible.

Also Ms A. is right, as always.

:blush:

OwlFancier posted:

I mean you can, again, go get lost on the moors or in the forest, we have both of those in the UK.

It's true and they can be lovely, but the fact that Location A has some nice stuff doesn't mean Location B's nice stuff is lesser or invalid.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

No, but if I live in location A and location B is expensive and wasteful to get to it does make location A subjectively better to me.

I both practically can't and don't think we ethically should divorce the process from the destination.

Oh yeah that's completely fair, I think we'd do better if we could develop a more coherent way of talking about such things that takes that into account. But there's still places that just draw a person sometimes, regardless of all else - I'm always going to love the terrain of western Montana more than anywhere I've been in the British Isles. Even though I live in the latter and reaching the former is occasional and expensive for me. Doesn't mean I have no affection for a dark and windy moor, or the Olde Forests where Robin Hood did roam, or so on.

e; ^^ Also this, although in the modern age there's the new complication involved of actually personally knowing and developing relationships with people all over the world. I didn't end up going to Montana because I thought it looked pretty, but because there was a girl there I thought looked pretty, and we were dating and stuff. So in that case it's harder to vacation locally because, well, there's a specific person you want to be physically near and there's no way around the need to travel to make that happen. Of course, the other hand there is, if the relationship works out one person is likely to be moving permanently to the other, which reduces that concern considerably.

The Deleter posted:

Listen, I'm just telling it like it is!

I'm a Millennial, the only thing that outweighs our need for compliments is our inability to accept them!!

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 14, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The thing is that maybe we need to reduce population growth and/or reduce the population itself, but the way to do that (Both morally and effectively) is stuff we should be doing anyway, specifically, helping poorer countries grow richer in a fair and non-exploitative manner, and most of all helping women's education and empowerment globally.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Nah, definitely some people treat it as something merely for bragging, and poo poo like the way Everest is commodified sucks a lot, but the idea that wanting to explore and experience the world in all its vastness and wonder is mere consumerism is truly bizarre.

Like, there's nothing in else I can visit that's the same as if I got to go to Chan Chan. There's no replicating the Acropolis. No other city is quite like New York. Each place is, of necessity, unique. And maybe the thing that is your favourite is something local, like, it's not as if I fail to see enormous beauty in the windy hills of Ireland, and that is hardly an exotic and distant land. That's great, I hope people in that situation are happy!

But I have felt, since the day I was born, yearning for exploration. Who dwells in this land, and what fantastic things have they created? What lies beyond the horizon? What infinite wonders might we find in our universe? The sea - the stars - pull at my soul.

To me, acknowledging it has often led to horrible outcomes, the drive to explore creation is humanity at our most fundamental, and our most noble. Imagine how much we might do if we put that drive towards good ends, of brotherhood, personal growth, genuine learning, instead of nationalist competition, capitalist exploitation, or imperial ambition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DickEmery posted:

This sounds horribly close to implying that those who do not share this drive are lacking in humanity.

To read that not wanting to travel depresses other people is pretty strong and spectacularly condescending.
I don't like to travel for a number of reasons and to hear that standing on a different part of the world would enrich my soul sounds a lot like being told to accept Jesus into my heart.

You're right and I don't mean to condescend. It's just genuinely alien to me, but I should have been more cautious with what I said and the implications of it.