Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Angepain posted:

this thread has broken me, I didn't even consider the interpretation of this cartoon where the guy ate the beans until looking at it twice

Only twice? The very concept should be alien to you at this point.

[edit] First catte tax of the year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What actually happens to you if you refuse to be conscripted? I'm pretty sure I'd rather go to jail than get flown overseas to wander around a mountain until I get shot in the head. It seems about ten times more preferable.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My first GP appointment in 18 years was to find out I have a hernia. :eng99: I've been able to maintain a happy veneer of indestructibility for so long, drat it. There will probably be a long rear end wait for surgery, in the doctor's words "because of the... (long pause)... political situation".

Christ I wish tory voters would just kill themselves. If they want to live in endless misery then that's their problem. I fail to see why it should be mine.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

They want that warm sense of contentment that comes from knowing that everyone else is miserable too, and that this is patriotic or something.

The important thing is that statistically they're old, so they're more likely to be killed by their voting decisions, and from being pork faced wankers with insanely high blood pressure.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So the left despise the BBC for going too far right, and the right despise then for not being complete capitulating boot lickers. Good job, you dumb fucks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I stopped watching the new episode of Doctor Who when Stephen Fry said "I've been authorised to speak on behalf of EVERY INTELLIGENCE AGENCY IN THE WORLD". It's okay to write for five year olds, it isn't okay to write like one.

And of course Dracula was shite, it was made by the Sherlock team.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Why in the hell Ken Jeong was there I will never know. He's great, but an incredibly bizarre choice for guessing minor UK celebrities.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

God the C64 had so much good music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EcgruWlXnQ

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In one month the US managed to drone strike twice as many Afghan civilians as there were suspected to be remaining Taliban members in the country. The idea that 'terrorist' is some objective label you can slap on people and call it a day is really loving stupid.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/jan/08/iran-trump-news-today-live-latest-updates-attack-us-base-iraq

So do Trump and his organ grinders want this war or not? What the gently caress is happening? :psyduck:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Genuinely, has there been a shitter troll in this thread than the drive-by gin wanker.

[edit] Sleepy cat tax.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 8, 2020

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/10/xr-extinction-rebellion-listed-extremist-ideology-police-prevent-scheme-guidance

Lol, cops are such loving trash. I hope this radicalises the remaining people in XR who thought they could work with the system.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Haven't seen The Mandalorian, but I'm willing to give anything touched by Taika Waititi a chance; Jojo Rabbit is extremely good and touching and y'all should go see it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If RLB actually agreed to those points then it is the end of her campaign.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I guess we just have to hope that each candidate showing support for the BoD's insane demands is an excuse to troll them, like insisting that the independent board includes left wing Jewish figures and is forcibly applied to all UK political parties. Which would probably kill the whole thing, or at least drag the question of who gets to be a legitimate Jewish voice into the open so they can be eviscerated by their own hubris.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

seizure later posted:

lol if you think it wouldn't immediately be jumped upon as proof that anti-Semitism didn't "end" with Jeremy Corbyn

Sure, but even less people will take it seriously when they're desperately threading the needle to justify shutting down other Jewish voices or not hold all parties to the same standard, which frankly is how Labour should have handled this from the start.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The big problem with the last three HP books is that there is functionally no story to them. The first four have a strong core mystery (literally the title of each book), with a central villain that ties them together but doesn't get any real spotlight, and a lot of history regarding his parents' generation that gives everything a nice lived in feel.

Then The Goblet of Fire wrapped up basically every outstanding question about Voldemort and his parents, so they didn't really come up again, except that every other book was now entirely about beating Voldemort, which didn't have any real substance left to dig into, and the central mystery of each book... wasn't, basically. We meet the Order of the Phoenix right at the start of the book, then they don't play any major role until the ending. The Half Blood Prince involves them occasionally thinking "wonder who this half blood prince is then" until the very end when Snape goes "oh yeah, it was me. Anyway, bye".

So the books got several times longer, but removed two thirds of what made the books compelling, with every significant detail of the other third already answered. So they were completely pointless and boring as poo poo. Apart from Dumbledore dying, I'm pretty sure you could skip from the end of the fourth book to the end of the series and not have missed anything important.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You'll thank me when you don't have to read it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I loving love going to new places, just seeing somewhere I've not been before is interesting and calming on an existential level to me, which makes being stuck in the same office in the same city living in the same house in the same commuter belt for several years kind of depressing. But the concept of integrating into a local community is still something I struggling with massively, so that's probably part of why I enjoy travelling around.

The catte tax is rinsing me this year, god drat:

This cat lives next door but will do absolutely anything to get in our house. I love her to bits.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 15, 2020

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

When you say broken, are they things that can just be repaired instead? The phone screen should be replaceable at least.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rarity posted:

Based on my previous experience of the time this happened ten years ago (yes, I know) I'm only a few days away from the entire motherboard fizzing out so I don't see the point in waiting.

Shitloads of paper towels, put the laptop upside down on the edge of a table so the keyboard presses on to the towel, give it an hour or two and see.

Then if it works, you get all the fun of pinging the keys off with a flathead screwdriver and cleaning it off with cleaning wipes!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Greenpeace as bad as nazis now, apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/17/greenpeace-included-with-neo-nazis-on-uk-counter-terror-list

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Niric posted:

The first bit is fair, but the bolded bit is exactly the OTT fear mongering Azza was talking about. If it was Phillips we were talking about you might have some kind of semblance of a point here (although that credits Phillips with having much more of a coherent platform than I've seen so far), but Nandy, Starmer and Thornberry just aren't saying the things you seem to think they are

He's not saying those things, no, but he is hiring the people who are. Hiring the toxic scum the left have been trying to remove for several years is really loving bad.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Borrovan posted:

I haven't watched any of the new trilogy yet, been saving them for a rainy day, so I am unsure whether or not this is an extremely uncool thing to have told me

Don't worry, you aren't missing much. It starts with a pathetically cowardly soft remake of A New Hope that basically negates everything the heroes achieved in the original trilogy by having the empire just rebrand and carry on as before, then you get a movie of pointless B plots as they scramble to set up anything interesting or new for the third film, then they panic and capitulate to the uber-fans who just wanted to see their favourite action figures get mashed together in the cinematic equivalent of jingling keys at a cat.

They had no plan other than making a trilogy, because you've got to have a trilogy, and it shows. They are the Sonic 4 of movie sequels.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hbomberguy has entirely correct opinions about Fallout, Dark Souls and Sherlock, so he still gets a pass.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can't wait to read that book, by which I mean get the highlights off twitter. It's going to be loving terrible, but an important insight into the minds of people with their brain cavity filled entirely with huffed farts.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol, and CNN were the ones running an absolutely batshit smear campaign against Sanders, literal "have you stopped beating your wife" stuff.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The idea of a nineties kid who didn't have even a passing experience with videogames is deeply, deeply suspicious. My dad played Defender, my mum played Lemmings, my sister was pretty sick at Unreal Tournament. None of them give a poo poo about videogames now, and they didn't then. They just found those odd games that spoke to them, because you couldn't escape how much the industry blew up at that time. No computers in sight? I'm calling that one as a gammon repurposing one of their dumb gammon memes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

At least that goes up to IE8. There's a website we use internally for work that is still optimised for IE5.5 and anything beyond IE9 it refuses to believe is a real browser.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

sinky posted:

The Guardian interviewed some people on Eurostar about brexit

Voted for it, didn't think it should have happened, would vote for it again, wanted it to happen instantly and without chaos, does not know what effect it will have on the UK. :shepface:

x

With respect to all the good people who would be affected, I'm starting to lust for a hard Brexit that fucks the country rotten so I can scream in these fuckers' faces until my voice gives out and leave them with tinnitus.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

RLB and Butler are seeming like a solid combo right now, if they're willing to call this poo poo out then they're probably looking to deal with it as a priority.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

There's actually more than one version of this, the smaller being 'Amazon' where the women can be merely very large but still humanly possible, to several metres tall but still roughly able to interact with men, and the other being 'Giantess' that involves women the size of buildings/cities/continents and they are usually just squishing thousands by sitting on them or eating people like popcorn or what have you.

Yeah, Bowsette was a real coup for the cause.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/MorganPaulett/status/1223246955595419648?s=19

[edit] getting my dates wrong, but still relevant.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 31, 2020

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Shyrka posted:

gently caress I was afraid of that.

I mean, it's still probably better than tomorrow being immediate no deal, but this is poo poo too.

Also I better start using all the stuff I bought last year for my Brexit stockpile since it's gonna go out of date this year anyway.

Don't worry, you'll be making a new stockpile around November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Angepain posted:

are y'all hearing fireworks 100% certain you're not just being invaded

God I wish. Where are they, I'm in the mood to collaborate.