Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Happy new year goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
The the state of the whole HIGNFY, Private Eye, gently caress it, even latter era Python sneering type of satire is woeful to behold, getting less funny, more dated, and a shitload less USEFUL than it used to be, and it's entirely down to loving pickled boomer-to-gen-x sensibilities that have failed to adapt to the times.

Back in the day, the prevailing opinion of authority figures was that they were all Very Important and Serious, and they traded a lot on people Taking Them Seriously. And the way you satirise that is to make them look silly, to sneer cynically, to irreverently go "you're nothing special" in creative ways and get people to see them as ridiculous.

It's STILL important to take people on who think they're above everyone else, but this poo poo isn't landing because they haven't updated their jokes from this cynical sneering. Partly because it's easy to just take anything anybody says and go "this person said this, so much for that, hur hur hur". But politicians now, yeah you still get the odd one stamping their foot and demanding "take me seriously" but most of them don't care one way or another, they either roll with the punches or ignore because they're not trading on the same kind of deference, in fact if they're like Boris they're actively courting the "don't take me seriously" jokes, and it's no wonder they love him on HIGNFY because they get to do a lot of their A1 super-effective sneering without noticing that they're *actively empowering him*

Then, there's the fact that if they're not Tory-sympathetic they are at least woefully liberal and their choice of targets reflects that, you just end up with this grinding cynical trudge where there's no hope, nothing is taken seriously and that again leaves the door wide open for the status quo to go effectively unchallenged and roll on forever.

We could REALLY do with some meaningful satire that challenges the actual power structures that meaningfully effect people's lives in this country but it's not going to happen until the Hislops and the Cleeses stop chuckling from the sidelines and going "ehh loony lefties, and the tories they're all the same, amirite?"

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Tesseraction posted:

First, Corbyn needs to win on December 12

The road to a peaceful future starts now, and from somewhere else

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Nothingtoseehere posted:

And such the overton window shifts. "Only one nationalization!" - the rallying call of the labour right.

"We'll make the trains run on time!"

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Why in the hell Ken Jeong was there I will never know. He's great, but an incredibly bizarre choice for guessing minor UK celebrities.

Its funny how there are no pictures of him between the reveal and the host explaining who the hell this person is. I can just imagine him sitting there with a "..." speech bubble.

I'm going to a constituency Labour meeting soon where the whole what happened, what happens next thing is going to come up and this is a really succinctly put argument that's worth remembering. Wish I could sum up what I believe this fluidly.

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 6, 2020

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Fair enough if standing next to the Eiffel Tower or the Leaning Tower of Pisa and taking selfies isn't your thing, I dunno, talk to some protesters in Paris about how they do political organisation or see what the attitude to gentrification is on the street in Berlin. Or sit on a random park bench opposite That Bridge in Prague with your partner as the snow starts to come down and look at the stars. It doesn't have to be a vacant scenic tour, it can be educational, it can be spiritual. It's what you make of it.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Put the sausages in the middle of the plate and entirely encase in mashed potato. Make a funnel in the top and pour in gravy. Liberate sausages from gravy volcano.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Flipswitch posted:

loving utter state of these comments, even a BNP banner there.

"It's not even a word, Stu. Stop inventing words for things!"

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

I mean thats par for the course for Morgan he's been like this ever since he used to write the Bizarre celeb-spotting column in the Sun. He's always done the "someone begrudgingly let me take a picture shaking hands I'm going to refer to them as if they're my best mate" thing

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I missed ugly ducking chat, but I'm going to chime in that for some of us i.e. me, we're still waiting to grow into the swan

What is a swan but a goose with better eyeliner game

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Might have to read this to find how you spin "look at what people with actual beliefs think and aim wherever in the middle affects me the least" into 200 pages

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Guavanaut posted:

"I'm just saying what the silent majority are thinking" reactionary counterculture bullshit

Yeah, what *is* that?

"I, too, have noticed that the thing about the majority of people these days is they keep their opinions firmly to themselves"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

baka kaba posted:

wasn't it literally just a nickname for all Bin Laden's contacts he built up while he was fighting the soviets for the CIA

filed alongside his SNES roms

AlQaedaV3_1a Final_RevB.xls