Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

HJB posted:

Happy new year all, despite all reason I am appreciating the Craig David, though I am aware that many of the problems in this country stem from it being stuck on Kisstory, on loop, forever.

What the gently caress, jools Holland is on and everyone's lashed and talking absolute shite about future space cars, why would you watch Craig David DJing his own songs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ what!!!! This explains some things....

HJB posted:

Jools Holland is the WWE of NYE shows, I am comfortable with my decision.

I don't know what that means but he has Stormzy and Craig David has Craig David

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

and the shortest

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Y'all good people who deserve good things. Yes even you, UKMT antagonist

Why did I think autocorrect would know what UKMT is, I'm on the gin and tortilla chips

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Meghan is powerfully popular though.she opened a car door, like any of us would do!!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm still up and watching the Glastonbury recap - this is some aggressive saxophoning

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Cliff Burton bass solo but on sax

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

quad post - powerful decade

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hey!!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You can't force the powerful quadpost - theres 10 years for it to happen, you just gotta wait

Kylie's on doing the locomotion, 2020!!!!

also if I may: namtab

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

2010s was the decade of the London Olympics

2020s is the decade of keeping it real

Guavanaut posted:

Where's that BSS locomotion with the thicc spiderman?

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 1, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pesky Splinter posted:

https://twitter.com/gilescoren/status/1212370333602369536

:lol: Just another day in the very normal life of Giles Coren in AD 2020.
(Screencapped incase he deletes it).

lol

https://twitter.com/TPGRoberts/status/1212407853929119744

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Trin Tragula posted:

First poll for Labour leader from YouGov.

They then have it 61-39 to Starmer in the final round.

Still looks like there's plenty to play for in the hustings over the next few months, but it seems as though just being the continuity candidate isn't going to be enough (nor should it be), and it also looks like Leavers v Remainers is still going to be very important.

quote:

The poll was commissioned from YouGov by the Party Members Project, which is funded by the Economic and Social Research Council and run by Professor Tim Bale of Queen Mary University of London

quote:

Professor Bale said: "It looks as if Labour's overwhelmingly pro-European membership really appreciated Starmer's dogged determination not to flounce out of the shadow cabinet but to hang on in there in order to drag Jeremy Corbyn towards a more pro-Remain (or at least pro-referendum) position."

quote:

"It certainly doesn't look as if Labour's members are necessarily persuaded that it's time the party had a female leader. They seem more interested in picking the best person for the job, irrespective of gender," he added.

quote:

"For all the talk of Labour needing some 'Northern grit' in order to help it regain its so-called 'Northern Wall' seats and working class voters, it looks like the membership are more interested in who they think will do the best job than where or what background they come from," said Prof Bale.

is it me or is this guy projecting a lil bit

also what's this about

"what the world thinks" huh

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Purple Prince posted:

In the sense of "does not work, relies on extraction of surplus value from labour for income", pensioners are capitalists. You're confusing this with the popular use of "capitalist" to mean big bad haute bourgeois billionaires, but by Marx's definition most pensioners are something like petit bourgeois.

It might not chime culturally, but in a material sense most pensioners rely on capital markets for their income. Their class interests are aligned with hedge fund managers and financiers more than those of workers.

Now am I saying Agnes down the road should be put up against the wall? No. But if we don't understand what makes pensioners vote Tory so consistently we have no hope of reversing that trend.

Depends what pension you're talking about. State pension is part of the welfare system and comes out of national insurance and taxation - now culturally that might not chime with people because there's this idea that they're getting back what they paid in earlier, but it's still true that retired pensions are paid for by people who are currently working

Of course the tories play down the society/welfare aspect and big up the "this is your money you earned" idea, which is appealing to people. Same reason when they did those tax breakdowns so you get mad at where YOURE TAXES are going, pensions are ~magically absent~ from the welfare slice of the pie

Other pensions and investments, sure it depends - there are absolutely petit bourgeoisie types with property income and the like. But there are also people who've saved their money and put it into various funds, including pensions, because they've been told that's what you need to do, there have been government and work schemes to get them to do it

So everyone is tied into that system because that's what we live under, you can't opt out of it. If you even have a bank account earning interest (hopefully covering inflation but even that is an ask these days) then are you a capitalist? Is this a meaningful class definition? Does Agnes even identify as a capitalist, as opposed to just relying on the system to keep running so she doesn't lose all her money?

People living in a capitalist society and getting by on the scraps don't have aligned interests with the people running that system, their interests align with their friends and family and the people around them, the communities they live in, the services they rely on, the redistribution of income away from those huge pools of wealth to a functioning and happy society where everyone's taken care of and they can reach their potential. They might think their interests are aligned with capitalists, but they're not are they - that's the problem that needs addressing. That and the idea that "Labour will destory the economy there's no money left ha ha ha"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

*ralph wiggum waving an IOU for a dollar*
I'm a shareholder!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

the marx to engels's florida

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

He writes that sort of poo poo all the time and the nyt just today was whitewashing that navy seal who did a load of war crimes so bad that his squad were the ones to report him

they're also up to this

https://twitter.com/nyt_diff/status/1212528830218407936

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

So will Boris drag us into this incredibly stupid war?

https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1213064731851939841

can't wait for the Raab speech "hey guys people don't know this but I just found out this guy was actually a big deal in Iran"

also in manufacturing consent news, twitter's locked down that account that was automatically tracking the NYT's pro-war edits to articles

https://twitter.com/touchmybobby/status/1213005974069342209

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ratjaculation posted:

hello friends, how is everyone feeling 3 weeks on?

what hemisphere are you in right now mister

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ratjaculation posted:

The worst one :(

Waiting for the missus to sort her visa out

... hey! that's this one!!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've crossed between Western and Eastern hemispheres a dozen or so times today just doing some shopping.

just thought of a supermarket with the international date line running right down the middle - imagine the reductions deals

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Quite a lot of water-damage reductions too.

but you could have porpoises on the tills

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

It was never proven to be a lie, but that's likely only because Diane gets so much abuse from stupid lovely pricks that she doesn't memorize every time some edgy chancer does it.

it does prove that Jess Phillips thinks joining in with that abuse is ok and she did it to win political clout

good leadership material!!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ratjaculation posted:

I think we should take a moment to appreciate that for once we don't have the shittest elected Prime Minister in the world (for now), Australia has taken that crown

hey be fair being that terrible is a team effort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt-coJH2X8Y&t=245s

yes I get all my australia news from the "in the hall of the corbyn KING" guy

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

disturbing to hear that anti-war campaigner Jeremy Corbyn is in fact Iranian TV sleeper agent Jeremiah Warbin

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

like seriously, anyone who takes a guy who's (in)famously anti-war and looks at their current anti-war rhetoric and goes "AHA clearly IRAN has paid them to take this stance" isn't acting remotely in good faith. There are people in far more deep with regional players (and not on the level of a few grand either) who won't see any scrutiny at all, hmm how strange

crispix posted:

The BEARD!!! It all makes sense now coincidenceithinknot!!!!!!!! :aaa:

*Warbin moves to pull his beard off but it extends into a longer beard*

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Katt posted:

No you are just purposely misconstruing my post of "Labour criticism of the Iran situation via Corbyn looks bad and has no teeth" as "Corbyn is in fact bad" and then you repeatedly respond to that strawman. Over and over and over.

you're literally arguing Corbyn should stop being an anti-war advocate because of one particular daily mail take, and those are a renewable resource

maybe the left's arguments should be based on principles and pragmatism (of the "starting a huge war is bad" kind) rather than relying on the bulletproof charisma of their spokesperson deflecting all possible attacks

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I'm very :haw: at this thread thinking we'll be involved in a conflict with Iran, The British Army and Military in general are in a sorry state post warfighting in Afghanistan and cuts from the current Tory government. We committed 43k troops for Iraq 2.0 we were roughly over the 100k mark, we are down to around 72k troops but that counts people who haven't even done their trade training. We don't have the capability to add anything decent with our current commitments around the globe, QE is still on sea trials and doubt it could be pushed forward.

Isn't this just what we do though, overcommitting and chasing that prestige and clout even though we're massively underresourced, trying to roll with the big boys who are just going "m8 wtf are you even doing"? And that's before we were brexiting and desperately trying to prove we've STILL GOT IT

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

quote:

Britain's military overextension in the war on terror is the result of an imperial hangover that has blighted foreign policy since 1945, historian Correlli Barnett will tell a conference at Cambridge University this afternoon.

Opening a seminar celebrating his own 80th birthday, the distinguished military historian will claim that delusions of grandeur about Britain's role as a first-class world power have led to “ludicrous” levels of over-commitment in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Mr Barnett will say that Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and David Cameron are merely the latest in a string of political leaders clinging doggedly to the myth that Britain's influence in foreign affairs is on a level footing with the United States.

quote:

In his opening remarks, the historian will argue that leading figures in Whitehall and Westminster have been exaggerating Britain's importance in the world since before 1945.

“Such exaggeration has remained the besetting sin of British total strategy right up to the present day and also remained a sure recipe for a discordance between military commitments and financial resources,” he will claim in his address.

He will describe the governing elite of the past 60 years as “mental prisoners of Britain's past as a world and imperial power,” often indoctrinated with delusions of national grandeur in public schools that programmed them to be “house prefects to the world”.

“At the present time, the British Army and its air support are just too small to fight simultaneous large-scale guerrilla wars in Iraq and in Afghanistan,” Mr Barnett will add. “In other words, a case of true overstretch. It is why our commitment in Iraq is being gradually cut back – simply to enable us to concentrate our limited strength on Afghanistan.”

*boris johnson picture*

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ can't believe they stole my cat AND his cardboard scratcher bed

https://twitter.com/ayeshahazarika/status/1213469438651117568

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

just a lil war update

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1213602012308418560

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Comrade Fakename posted:

Does anyone else have a thing where MikeCrotch’s posts are flagged as ignored, though I never actually ignored him, and when I go into his profile the button asks me to add him to my ignore list. Even though he presumably is already on it?

what if you add it and then go back in to remove it? might clear whatever's up

I know a new challenger has stepped up to try and wrangle the forums code lately though, maybe something's going on with that

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Renaissance Robot posted:

Yo bk since QCS is shut down where can I complain leave constructive criticism about awful app

Anyway my complaint is I read the forums too much and now I've got the header/footer bars and post button burned into my screen

take that to QCS!!!! the app's nothing to do with the main site I dunno if any of us ever even looked in there

you can turn on Immersive Mode in the Device and Navigation settings and that'll hide the status bar and the nav buttons, and you can turn off the floating post button too (post option will be in the menu). Making the title bar and stuff slide out of the way was a no-go last time we tried it, for reasons, but maybe later if stuff changes. Might be getting light themes maybe!

goondolences on your OLED screen though

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

devil's advocate time - is there any proof that Iran is necessarily stepping up its weapons program (which would be understandable tbh) and not just going ahead with building the modern nuclear power infrastructure they've been denied? Like isn't 4.5% purity fairly standard for modern reactors, and still not really even close to where you can start cascading it into the 95% purity you need for weapons?

Like the whole point of the sanctions has been to keep Iran from developing and maybe selling their oil for $$$ instead of burning it for fuel, and they've been forced to be dependent on other countries for what nuclear activity they do run - and they clearly can't rely on the US acting in good faith in any way whatsoever, so is it even weird that they're abandoning this whole agreement and just getting on with it, if only for their own independence and economic security? Because it's absolutely gonna be spun entirely as "evil Iran begins researching THE DOOMSDAY DEVICE"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

strong de-escalation counteroffer

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Renaissance Robot posted:

Oh neat I just wanted to gripe, I didn't think you'd actually have an answer!

I actually just trashed the burned phone last week cause the glass was smashed too, so it's fine really. I'll turn those options on to save this one though, thanks for the response!

nah it's cool! There's a thread for the app if you ever need/demand answers (in IYG or there's a link in the app settings) or you can just mention stuff to me in here, it's all good. And yeah I had an old phone with an OLED screen, I ended up being able to see all the android UI stuff when I was watching a video or whatever, they need to fix that tech tbh

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are you saying they need a NEEW screen?

I almost looked this up you jerk

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Doccykins posted:

The required isotope purity for reactor grade uranium is about 97% U-238 and 3% U-235 from naturally occurring Uranium mined out of the ground which is 99.3% U-238. One of the main stays of the Iran Nuclear Deal was to allow them to enrich to 3.67% U-235 for reactor grade uranium to use in their own nuclear power program but prevent them from being able to experiment with refining it to a higher degree (which to get it to weapons grade would be 97% U-235 but the process is just refining the purer U again and again.) Once the US pulled out of the deal they've been declaring whenever they've exceeded the allowed threshold (4.5% U-235 in July 2019 and again in November 2019) but now the breaks are totally off for them to start refining up to weapons grade for their own nukes.

A uranium gun-type nuclear fission device is elementary to build, the difficult bit has always been getting ahold of enough U-235 (conversely for a plutonium bomb you can pick up as much Pu-239 out of the reactor runoff as you want but the hard part about making a Pu device is getting the implosion lenses to all go off simultaneously)

Richard Muller (no relation) has a really good lecture on nukes - ironically the series is titled 'Physics for Future Presidents' and includes really good primer skills that the current occupant will absolutely not have: https://archive.org/details/ucberkeley_webcast_5BHdsjo-NR4

yeah I get that, what I mean is 3.67% is considered the absolute bare minimum to run a basic rear end reactor at low efficiency, which is what Iran's been restricted to doing. At around 5% purity you can run that reactor twice as long, or run a modern reactor which requires that higher purity. So is Iran enriching to 4.5% (they've said they're going for 5%) doesn't seem especially notable or objectionable, y'know?

They've limited their own nuclear power capacity to comply with this deal, and since the US reneged they've taken the brakes off in a completely understandable way. If you've been carefully doing 20mph on a normal road and then you start to accelerate back up towards 30, that doesn't mean you're definitely going for 100 mph so you can ram a tesco express

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Cerv posted:

loving hell this Reynhard Sinaga case is actually terrifying
I’m lost for words

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50688975

jesus

I wonder if this is connected to any of those cases where young men randomly go missing

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

Have the oz greens ever had power? I was under the impression that australia is basically late stage UK politics wise.

The ruling Liberal party is trying to blame nationwide bushfires on local Green councils

Seems like their default insult, that video I posted yesterday had a letter from ex fire chiefs calling out the government's massive cutbacks to fire management and how they told them years ago this was going to happen, and the deputy PM on the radio ranting and calling them "woke greenies"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ratjaculation posted:

have i posted skills wallets on this page yet?

skills wallets

skill walls sounds a lot like squirrels if you say it fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Gridlocked posted:

Hello there UKPol Thread.

At the advice of LightningKnight I am here to raise your awareness of the apocalyptic bushfires currently engulfing much of the south of Australia.

You may think you understand. "Australia always has fires," you will say "The news says its a big one but it's always a big one."

I'm here to tell you it isn't. This is the single most devastating environmental disaster we have faced in Australia ever. Point blank ever.

Please read the first few pages of this thread and share the news of what is happening with your friends and family:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908888

this is a good OP btw, give it a read