Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Shaun Lawson with his egg and chips uh analogy is the Shaun and Jen guy off of youtube right? With the skull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ThomasPaine posted:

Skull Shaun's a lovely and always correct boy

Yeah that explains a lot that was confusing me. Who the heck is Shaun Lawson then?!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

*prospero beeps its last as a billion elon musk trash satellites rain against it*

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ saves me a job lol

ok it's good to see RLB isn't pulling any punches, plus she sounds way more up for a fight than Jeremy. Probably gonna be a huge backlash now but she's already not giving a gently caress

somebody tell dude from Novara that Salford rhymes with Walford

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Prospero's safely above all of Musk's bullshit at least, but atmospheric drag, even at that altitude, will eventually do for her.

it would be cool if someone could crack the codes before then, unless the fools did something like actual good security

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'd like a new direction thanks, stay left but try a different tack to win this time. i assume like a lot of posters itt i've been through a dark period of reflection and would like to see that... reflected by the labour left, not just "it woz brexit and sabotage, same again". we got loving savaged, we know blairism doesnt work but now we know corbynism doesnt either. time for something new.

but brexit was a huge issue, and so was the successful character assassination. meanwhile the policies were popular, just like they were in 2017 when Labour had its biggest success in decades, it's just Labour voters didn't turn out for them this time because, see column A

if you really want to reflect you can't ignore the context the election was fought in, because there are broader lessons to be learned than "we failed so we will always fail". We've already seen that "corbynism" has the potential to resonate with people, we know it's necessary to change the country's direction, and we know we don't have time to incrementally push someone more centrist and try and drag them back to the left once they win

I mean yeah, we need a different tack - a more focused manifesto message, on the core leftist principles that poll so well with people and inspire youth turnout. Things like free broadband are good but they can be introduced later, and it turns out leading with it in the manifesto is a distraction. We need to fight the negative messaging that's been drip fed to people over the last 3 years (more like a fire hose recently but it's hard to counter an established narrative on the doorstep). We need to attack the tories, call them out, gentle politics doesn't work when it doesn't defuse your opponents' bullshit

And we absolutely need to go hard on brexit scrutiny, especially since the Tories are hoping to quietly bury it now they're done with The Brexit Election - the whole thing has been an absolute gift to them since the referendum, just an opportunity for empty flag waving and rhetoric. Corbyn did well letting them tear each other apart on trying to implement the thing, but in the end that was all in parliament which most people don't follow, so the public lying and magic tory brexit card still worked and they managed to buy themselves another 5 years. There needs to be as much of a spotlight on what they're doing as possible, because it gives them a natural advantage and that needs to be eroded fast

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

or maybe 2.5x egg and chips??

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

we know it has potential to resonate with people like us, but the only datapoint on whether it resonated with anyone else is 2017.

again i'm not really talking about the policies, (though actually i would like a modern left wing economic platform this time round), we know the policies were good and we know people want them, but the strategy trying to get people to support us to deliver them. also the candidate, corbyn does seem to be very personally unpopular despite what we thought

well just to be clear, when I say "resonated" I mean popular or with support/approval, not "inspire people to vote Labour" which I think is kind of a different thing. Things like voter apathy can undermine even the best pitch, good and popular policies would hopefully make people want to vote but it doesn't happen in a vacuum. Remember, that was part of the tory strategy this time - make people believe both sides were just the same, everyone's lying, you're fed up, vote for us to get politics out of your life, etc

Corbyn was unpopular, yeah, but the same was true in 2017 - he was the same candidate in 2019, but things changed, and that's definitely what we have to learn from

a) the one I always favoured is the corbyny one where we overcame a terrible starting point from 2015 and a hostile press for a huge surge in the vote. with this version we can assume continuity corbynism without brexit around(!) and a not so thoroughly assassinated candidate can still win.
b) but in this long dark twilight of the soul or whatever i don't think i can debunk the anti-corbyn version either, where we actually just swung and missed at a very, very easy target running the worst campaign ever. it was a good swing, but it was still a miss that could have hit. and the next time we ran into a campaign that was well run (despite having an equally poo poo campaigner as candidate) we got annihilated.

if b) is true then we were wrong about how successful this can be as an electoral strategy and 2019 was actually a more serious rebuke.

remember that the 2017 result was a huge shock to everyone, including the tories. It was a phenomenal gain, even if we didn't manage to win, and the political establishment take up to that point was that May was gonna increase her majority. The narrative of "wow such bad campaign very fail candidate" was established after the fact, trying to retcon May as a rogue element who sabotaged everything while the tories wrung their hands and said "no how can this be happening!!!" and allowed Corbyn to stumble his way to inevitable success. Nobody believed this before the exit poll came in *Stephen Whatshisface face*

I'm not saying May ran a great campaign or that everyone had a good idea of what's happening, but whatever Corbyn did, the goalposts were always immediately shifted. There was no consistent, objective measure of how well he was doing, so you have to be careful because literally any leftist leader (any Labour leader, to some degree) will face the exact same criticism and impossible standards from the people who want you to fail. The important thing is there's work to be done, to create the conditions where enough people want to vote Labour and not vote for the Tories. And conditions are constantly shifting, it's an uphill battle, it's not a nice clean game where you can puzzle out the winning move. You just have to keep doing your best, y'know?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

excellent puppino

thespaceinvader posted:

It doesn't have to if it convinces you that it's the brown people's fault your stomach is empty and you can't find out about the community kitchen because it's not printed in the loving paper or mentioned on the local news. Or the community kitchen gets shut down for some arbitrary reason by the powes that be, or also cannot afford to buy food or rent a space in which to operate or... etc.

the point is you don't just make yourself visible as a marketing pitch so hopefully people will put a tick next to your logo next time, you make people feel connected to you and what you're about. Like you're both (to some degree) on the same team. That way the propaganda doesn't work as well, because now it's directed at something they identify with

arguably that's even more important now, because the idea of natural Labour voters has been eroded, especially over the last few decades. People don't culturally identify with the party as strongly, and even those that do are more likely to not vote or even vote Tory rather than being "I vote Labour no matter what". You can't take that for granted, so you need to make sure you maintain that relevance and solidarity, and make sure it reaches a broader base of people who've grown up considering themselves outside of politics

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

this was basically all the military people who have for years wanted to kill suleimani finally having a president who doesn't give a poo poo about consequences so they presented him with it knowing he would do it and could take cover that he would get the blame

Trump's surrounded himself with the worst people, apparently there was a bunch of internal power games going on that removed anyone who'd have argued against this decision, and once the way was clear they just talked Trump into it because he's famously easily manipulated by whoever has his ear

like it's less that he doesn't care about consequences, more that he's a dumbass who doesn't know what he's doing and just assumes whatever he does will work out

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

posting from Iran

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

in more Iran (where we live) news, Trump did a statement where he said more sanctions and also he wants NATO to be more involved in the Middle East somehow??

he mostly slurred and talked about how great his presidency has been so it's not LET'S WAR at least

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/jan/08/iran-trump-news-today-live-latest-updates-attack-us-base-iraq

So do Trump and his organ grinders want this war or not? What the gently caress is happening? :psyduck:

it kinda feels like standing down, seems like Iran basically gave warning about its missile strikes (which took place during Soleimani's funeral) and the US gets to claim its badass best military and got an early warning......... system, the greatest, and took measures so nobody was hurt. He just talked about himself a lot, and how big and fast his missiles are, and he's still annoyed about the nuclear deal. But officially at least, it was pretty low key (and low energy)

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You're in Iran?

I'm not cool enough to be in Iran :(

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 8, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

bessantj posted:

It was more for my own knowledge. I wondered my suddenly people who had never talked about him before were all for his assassination.

Someone was doing time-ranged twitter searches of all these politicians and journos who were calling him the biggest bad guy ever, and surprise surprise none of them had even mentioned him before he was killed

Trump did, but that was a tweet from 2015 where he was complaining about gotcha questions from the media he didn't want to answer including one about Soleimani

In his statement thing trump drifted off into talking about ISIS for a while and how they're a big threat and eventually said America defeated them and Iran should be happy they're gone... after assassinating someone who's seen as a regional hero who defeated ISIS and saved everyone from living under the black flag. It's hard to know when he's gone off script, but drat

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1214949816347906048

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

oi I wanna be the fackin proime ministah

yaaaaaaas

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

to be fair I started doing the simpsons aussie PM bit instead

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

grats jose

Ratjaculation posted:

whats going on with SA, can someone summarise?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909824

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ 'hurt'?? I'm reliably informed there's FURY and INCANDESCENT RAGE

oh also DECLARATION OF WAR of course

Junior G-man posted:

Love to see the British press going like "Harry the bachelor was such a fun guy with strippers and Nazi outfits, but now that he seems to have become an adult with a (funny-tinged) wife and is interested in climate change he sucks".

It's just demented to see: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/09/queens-fury-what-the-papers-said-about-duke-and-duchess-of-sussex-bombshell

lol

random picture from sometime

troubled harry... conflicted?

meghan all :yeshaha:

MEGXIT

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 9, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

NO!!!

QUEEN FURY

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

can you even imagine what kind of cardigan the queen wore this morning in response, devastating

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ hell yea

Guavanaut posted:

You'd think the "we didn't vote to be ruled by unelected foreigners" lot would be more against Elizabeth von Hannover and Philip, Prince of Greece and Denmark.

But a majority of the youth support the institution too.

I bet a lot of it's harry actually, he seems normal, supports are boys, does the charity stuff etc, mic drop memes, and his wife seems normal too. I mean this is a world where Alan Johnson is a celebrity so why not

would they fight to keep them though, or are they too distracted by their gizmos and avacado toasts??

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

undrinkably strong coffee

scuse me??

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I feel like most capitalists are pretty aware of exactly what they're doing, they just don't care / are able to lie to themselves that it's for the greater good

like if some of them are deciding that they want things to be different now, that's nice and all but the system is set up to reward things like externalising costs and leeching as much as possible and exerting political influence to make sure you can keep doing it. does mr cool slide man have any actual suggestions for how to actually get to magic capitalism or is it all chaos dragons??

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jedit posted:

It's the sudden realisation that even if they could employ enough armed guards to avoid being torn to pieces by a mob, they still wouldn't be able to spend their money on anything because all the people who do the actual work would be dead, but still.

Apparently this comes up a lot anyway, some technical consultant was posting about being in meetings with these people and instead of talking about the thing the meeting's about they were spending all their time asking about technology to protect themselves and schemes to keep them isolated from the angry hordes

Of course one solution is to try and keep the angry hordes as small as possible by pretending you're doing something through Responsible Capitalism, greenwashing, tech evangelism etc, this looks like more of that

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The great thing about these billionaire fortresses is that they've very obviously not thought it through even a tiny amount - all of the servants, maintenance people, and most of all armed guards they'll need to keep it running will have families who will presumably be left outside the walls. What's the likely lifespan of Jeff Bezos when he tells his private security that it's time for them to leave their parents, spouses and children to die in the apocalypse and come make sure he can keep pumping HGH into his cock in New Zealand?

well that's why he's trying to automate everything using amazon as a testbed innit :tinfoil:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Junior G-man posted:

To me Jessflaps was always a sideshow without a real shot. Like, apart from a bunch of rear end in a top hat columnists, who is her actual base of support inside the party and unions?

yeah, Starmer's the more obvious pick for the anti-left groups because of his Serious Credentials and his broad appeal/respect - he's just the right sort of person to steer the party back from this silly leftist experiment and let people know the adults are back in charge

even if that isn't his personal outlook, they gotta back someone and he seems like the one they can really work with

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

gotta say this is kinda unnerving

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ohhhh so he's massaging some egos in an attempt to make them do the right thing before it's too late

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

I mean a game where everyone's in space but only because 90% of the population got obliterated by rogue AI's when earth was rendered uninhabitable and now the survivors are all in wild transhuman bodies and have to deal with the existential horror of being theoretically immortal and/or accidentally cloned through backup copies of their persona and also potentially consigned to a hell existence as a disembodied consciousness because the space capitalist parts of the solar system demand artificial restriction of the supply of robobodies and the space anarchists don't have the capacity to produce endless numbers of them. That seems extremely on brand for UKMT.

oi I know what you're up to buddy yes it was a great game

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Azza Bamboo posted:

A few ordinary people I know started talking about this and the consensus was that Keir "looks like more of a leader" and "is much stronger" where they think "Rebecca Long Bailey talks down to people" and "She's really crap in interviews." I've also spoken to some Tories who spitefully say they hope Rebecca Long Bailey gets in because they think she'd be crap.

That's what it looks like outside of the Labour left bubble.

sounds familiar!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

You can't coast by on press image, they'll turn on whoever gets elected. Whoever becomes leader is going to have to be able to fight the press and the tories to create a narrative in an extremely hostile environment.

honestly I think it depends if you actually fight them - the media has been pushing this leftist insurgents, death of the labour party, struggle for its existence thing for a while. If Labour gets a leader who's willing to go along with that narrative, throws the left under a bus and moves back towards the right I reckon the media will give them a relatively easy ride

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

Well yeah if they get a tory sure they're just gonna treat tory party 1 and tory party 2 as things to play off each other but that's obviously pointless for our purposes.

I don't even mean a tory necessarily, but if the Labour right can present it as 'their candidate' won and constantly brief about how things have changed and corbynism has been rejected and Labour needs to get seriously centrist about policy, I can see the media happily playing that up for a bit and crowing while kicking the left

I just think it's something to watch out for, because it plays into this idea of "we need an electable, popular leader" and what's unsaid there is the 'right' choice will get a bit of a pass, that's the reward for the party moving in the 'right' direction. Some people will just want to give up and choose that path of least resistance, just in the hope that playing the game will make life easier and give us a chance

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Thangam has made powerful enemies in the undersea kingdom, she cannot go back there

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I'm gonna be real disappointed if Butler doesn't get enough nominations, she's always seemed solid and she's good in interviews too

e- uh dogsnipe I guess

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/stat...ingawful.com%2F

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 11, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

yeah Steve albini can tell you how to cook a potato

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Going back a couple of days, Jess Phillips was on radio 4 condemning the assassination of the Iranian general and was immediately met with comparisons to Corbyn and not being on the same team as the UK. If Jess Phillips is getting that before she's even leader no-one short of someone who has hypnotised Murdoch and blackmailed the Mail group will get anything resembling an easy ride.

yeah but is she the 'right' candidate? She definitely thinks she should be PM and she got plenty of airtime to attack Corbyn, but I don't really think she'd be the establishment choice of successor or anything. Especially if she's openly criticising stuff like ~~getting the baddies~~, and especially if she can't pivot that to criticising the left and distancing herself from those anti-war, anti-interventionist tendencies (even in the mildest way)

like I'm not saying anyone in Labour would escape that kind of bias, it's gonna be an issue for everyone - but some will get a lot more of it, and some will get less. Just because some represent what's anathema to establishment thinking, and some represent something closer to a correction. Don't forget, whatever the result Corbyn's Labour managed to drag the overton window pretty far to the left, so dragging it back to the right is their goal

And that means Labour's messaging needs to change and that new perspective needs to be promoted - which isn't the same as encouraging people to actually support the party, just to accept the narrative that the hostility Corbynism faced was because its ideas were bad, and this new shift is naturally less vilified because it's closer to being good and sensible, rational politics. The goal is to sink the left, not the Labour party (which has historically had its uses)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm guessing it was meant as a joke after that Sky thing but yeah, maybe don't??

Also got a real bad feeling about this BoD stuff. I can see people paying it lip service during the election just because the general idea of tackling stuff is a good one, but people saying they'll agree to all those demands is wild. Is that just where we're at now?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If RLB actually agreed to those points then it is the end of her campaign.

"I will also enact all of the Board of Deputies’ recommendations" from that Times of Israel article she wrote

like this move by the BoD is obviously meant to shift the debate in the leadership election, make it all about AS again - and that's damaging to the left, because either you don't sign up to this pledge while everyone else does (which looks bad in general) or you do sign up and alienate the people who see it as giving up power to groups who've acted in bad faith against the left before. Assuming she's not just happily signing up to this it's a tough position to be in. Hopefully she'll have a more nuanced position but that quote is pretty strong...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

jaete posted:

Hmm, now I'm curious how you got this from ronya's post. They posted: "if the leader can grit his teeth and say that Israel has a right to exist, 1967 borders, &c, then so can the membership;" - to me that sounds like, I dunno, fine? Or what exactly is the issue here, is something missing? Sorry I'm genuinely non-knowledgeable about the intricacies of I/P

It's less that part and more the "maybe everyone should do what they say and keep their mouths shut and let Israel get on with what it's doing" which yeah is kinda throwing the Palestinian cause under a bus

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

A E S T H E T I C I A N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I like how they include the people who just started arguing the premise of the question