Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ground floor of a better decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Angepain posted:

on the upside this should be the first decade in a long time that thatcher won't be alive for any part of

depending on how dominic's resurrection plans are going, that is

Counterpoint: this is a decade in which thatcher won’t die, and that’s a shame.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

forkboy84 posted:

I didn't even consider it until I read this post. Thought a card where a guy shoves tins of beans up his bum was a bit niche but it's the Internet.

I was out for a walk and it's 7 degrees but with a loving nasty wind coming from the north. Anyway, walking down the beach path I see a bloke in a kilt, normal length socks, shoes and nowt else. Cutting about bare chested in that wind, he made me feel cold just looking at him.

A proper walk of shame, love it.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

If it was in Glasgow he’d have had what at first glance was a birthmark but is actually just a permanent Bucky stain all down his front

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

https://twitter.com/bobby19_/status/1213218439034261505?s=21

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

If the Scottish left is allowed to reclaim nationalism of all things as a progressive thing, I’m going to say that the words “no surrender” for a fun meme slogan is also okay to be reclaimed.

I speak for all of Scotland in this matter.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Coohoolin posted:

Look up Access Courses or Centres for Lifelong Learning. The one at Aberdeen was great, but I think it's been disbanded by now. Other universities will hopefully still have options.

Other universities definitely do access courses, one of my friends did one at Stirling uni before going on to do their degree there, so you might well have options that can suit a longer residence.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Guavanaut posted:

For England and Wales for cider under 7,000L per year you show up and say "I made some cider, do you want to buy it?"

For beer you always have to register, no matter where in the UK, but there's a Small Breweries' Relief scheme that makes paying duty easier and can mean a reduced rate. Once the duty is paid (this is at point of production, not sale) it's a product like any other, and you show up and say "I made some beer, do you want to buy it?"

Wine you always pay full duty per bottle. Same for spirits but you also need a rectifier's licence and a bunch of controls on who can access the still equipment.

Duties etc should be the same UK wide, but the sale stuff outside of duties may well be different in Scotland thanks to the difference in licensing law.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Pod news!

Ignore my previous post where I was hopeful about us doing stuff, it was way too optimistic to get anything sorted with everyone scattered over the holiday period.

That being said, we’ve got a busy day tomorrow with :siren: two :siren: episodes being recorded! We shall return to you all on Tuesday with our first news episode of the year, and as a special treat for the weekend, we’re going to do our first dive into the world of cinema!

After a big meeting this week, we’re looking to up the guests coming on the pod, branch out with the content (meaning more deep dives, and moving into some leftist critique of cultural output like the episode planned for this week), and we’ve got a couple of small changes planned to how we run some episodes, namely trimming the news episodes back a little bit on occasion to give more focus to things that need it.

And finally, we’ll be properly scoring Comment or Commentariat throughout the year to crown a champion of hot takes at the end of year awards, and also allowing you all to play along at home!

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Can we still body nazis in the thread and tell them to unequivocally gently caress off with no quarter, because nazis aren’t my friend.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Cool, are tories and Lib Dem’s still fair game too? :v:

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Miftan posted:

We already said Nazis are fair game~!! (i'm kidding lib dems aren't nazis they're just enablers)

Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Jose posted:

anyway i also saw a tweet of a dog with an absolutely massive dick does anyone want to see it

Alright James Dellingpole, calm down

^ lmao

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

There was a time I didn’t know what the Board of Deputies was, and honestly, it was a better time.

Like when I didn’t know Spiked was a thing.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Guavanaut posted:

I think my life has been improved for knowing that Spiked On Line is the rump left over from when Living Marxism, the official magazine of the Revolutionary Communist Party, got sued into the ground by ITN for genocide denial, and that their obsession with 'free speech' comes from the same place as all trots, "we must have the freedom to spout whatever stupid poo poo we want and anybody saying anything contrary to this is a Stalinist McCarthyist revisionist :qq:."

Fair point.

I revise my previous point to “life was better when I didn’t need to read spiked, and I feel the same way about the Board of Deputies’ output.”

E: I read it so you don’t have to (you get to hear it and Firos’ brain boil instead)

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Continuity RCP posted:

you still don't need to read spiked

If I don’t mine the Brendan takes for Comment or Commentariat it’s down to junior g-man and he’s already mining other awful spaces.

You wouldn’t want to kill him would you?

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

That’s because if it sails through at the moment there isn’t a story that is damaging to labour, but the effects of it could be in future. Why would a press that’s been trying to destroy the labour left draw attention to this in any negative way when it’s an absolute time bomb that’ll go off in their favour.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Podcasting is Praxis - Episode 24 - Podcasting is Praxis 2: The Returnening

We're back!

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Venomous posted:

UK crisp thread, I require your assistance:

https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1218575671477358592?s=19
https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1218577258627174400?s=19
https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1218611859873574912?s=19

I have two questions:

1. Does Monster Munch really go in a cheese sandwich? That honestly sounds kinda :gonk: to me.
2. Is this Monster Munch opinion Correct or Heretical?

1. No

2. It’s correct and is fully endorsed by the podcast

Rarity posted:

I had the chance to date this girl and now she's really hot fml

And after finding out she likes the podcasts unanimously approved monster munch too :(

Ash Crimson posted:

We're going to be punished... bad things are in the pipeline because the English couldn't resist their cultural urge to vote for an inbred, tory government

Will any of us survive

Examine your own backyard before greeting about the neighbour’s, gently caress sake.

Pilchenstein posted:

If death means not having to read your loving posts I'm ready tbh :v:

:hmmyes:

Also, thank you for the extremely good post that I haven’t quoted Borrovan, I really enjoyed it and it’s going to chime well with some points on the podcast.

Speaking of the pod, the promised Star Wars episode has been recorded and quite obviously is later than expected in coming out. I’m hoping to have it edited and released on Wednesday night. Sorry for the delay folks!

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Missed out on being on the star wars pod, drat. Oh well, maybe another time.

Gonna assume its about the crazy racist gently caress reaction to the new trilogy, rather than the fun bonkers old EU stuff like Han Solo fighting a giant space otter, or robot Princess Leia assassinating a three-eyed (fake) son of the Emperor at their "Dark Imperial Wedding".

I hope you’re ready for the grand unifying centrist theory about Star Wars.

Ash Crimson posted:

Get help. my yard is clear, as is my conscience

You’re the one needing help pal, please seek it for your own good.

Also stop loving blaming “the English” for brexit, Scotland’s conscience isn’t clear on this at all either, and actually could have decided the vote had we not our own significant minority of gammony fucks.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

I’ll tease you with one more thing about the grand centrist theory, it’s not so much to do with the Jedi, but about the need for controls on space immigration (and the dangers of space Russia)

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Genuinely, this thread has told you multiple times to get some help and you keep kramering in with a really lovely gimmick, why do you keep doing this?

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ash took a voluntary holiday because she kept posting really weird poo poo like this and was aware the thread wasn’t benefitting her.

You’re thinking of Aceofflames, who is still threadbanned and thank gently caress.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ash Crimson posted:

I just want to be free of this albatross around our collective necks okay without being materially worse off

Who is “our collective” comrade?

Holy moly the french are so good at industrial action

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

OwlFancier posted:

Why is the "turn off the reactor" button not labeled "SORTEZ"

[In extremely french accent]
EH EZ CINQ

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

The Libearian posted:

I've gotta say a film that's open text states that centrism is at best preserving yourself by refusing to engage and letting bad things happen to other people who dont have that option or at worst/most frequently a cover for claiming to be above it all while actively collaborating being read as pro centrist is a supremely weird interpretation

The good thing about me putting my grauniad robes on for this was that I got to be supremely stupid with it and also extremely on brand at the same time.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Goddamnedtwisto is right, the best Star Wars thing was Tie Fighter (x-wing alliance gets a close second)

Really buzzing for the Jessflips announcement to be a really lukewarm endorsement of starmer where she pretends she’s been nothing but flattering towards him the whole time so she can think she’s got a sniff of a shadow cabinet position.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Jess Phillips MP, shadow Secretary of State for Jess Phillips

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Getting mad about not being saluted is 100% the most fragile thing about officers and it’s always hilarious.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Miftan posted:

IDF is kind of lax about it once you're out of basic training, but it's still technically required before you're fully certified and always with big wigs. We used to always salute officers when they were carrying heavy stuff when in training because they weren't allowed to ignore us (they did eventually ignore us).

Once in cadets I saluted an officer who was smoking a cigar in his right hand and he battered the loving business end of it right off his forehead.

Managed to do the same to a TA officer in the street once around Remembrance Day except he smashed a sausage roll into his head.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

mehall posted:

Okay, this is praxis, and I need to learn a proper salute so I can try it with the idiot recruiting fucks from the queen at office.

You need to be in full uniform for them to do it back so it’s not worth it

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Miftan posted:

I'd do RLB Starmer Nandy Thornberry, I think, but after RLB who is a 7, maybe 7 and a half out of 10, the rest are all pretty bad imo. Having said that, they all have space to grow into their own in the role, I just think RLB is the most likely to grow into something I'd approve of.

Bit rude to rate RLB as highly as the EU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Podcasting is Praxis - Episode 25 - Segway to Davos is finally here!

Star Wars will be released on Monday morning!

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

As promised, here's the star wars pod!

https://praxiscast.podbean.com/e/episode-26-controls-on-space-immigration/

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

OwlFancier posted:

Even then the idea that you're going to defeat capitalism without engaging with the way it controls the country seems iffy. Unless you've got the instant revolution button lying around, you are, ultimately, looking to build support for an electoral victory. And if you're doing that you might as well be a member of the labour party.

It’s got to be both working within the parliamentary system and conducting action in the name of the party outside of the usual bounds, ie in communities directly.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

The speciesism in the empire is barely alluded to in the films yeah, almost all of it comes from the EU, Leia hitting out with the walking carpet bit is the only real explicit example of it that I can think of from the films, and even then, the Wookiee slavery isn’t even obvious, it could well be POWs that we’re given the idea of towards the end of episode 3, and I’ll be honest that I’m completely forgetting how or if they handled this in Solo.

The all human imperial crews is definitely more of a general subtext alluding to it.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That "Where are you taking this... thing?" line from the guard on the Death Star is pretty telling too. TBH it's not really even that subtle, the Empire are Space Nazis right down to the uniforms and wonder-weapons.

It's more specifically pointed out in the final battle in Return Of The Jedi, where the Rebels are explicitly shown to be a multi-species alliance with the battle commanded by a non-human, and of course the Viet Cong Furry Division are the ones wot won it.

(Apologies if this is all pointed out in the pod, I've not had a chance to listen to it yet)

My bad, I forgot about that bit, my brain is full mush today.

The actual subtext of the diverse group vs the non diverse group in return of the Jedi wasn’t directly touched on in the pod, although I think James has a real good bit about the usefulness of the narrative that will fit in to very nicely.

E: nobody has yelled at me for my blue labour interpretation of Star Wars yet :v:

Sanitary Naptime fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 27, 2020

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

sebzilla posted:

Elan Sleazebaggano

Colombian Grebe :colbert:

sebzilla posted:

Corbs really should have gone Full Purge.

Oh well.

RLB is already talking about top down enforcement of mandatory reselection so :getin:

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

I’m near three grand deep in an overdraft every time it rolls to the week before payday so I can’t wait for the bank to absolutely gently caress me rotten, thanks! Very cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Miftan posted:

That Glinner puppet is freaking me out.

Ted Glenner