Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

mutata posted:

Quick, before the new thread: Favorite character customization systems and why?

Star Trek Online because breaking the immersion of hardcore RPers never gets old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yoba Skywalker Starwarsrules

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
question: i'm thinking of getting an hdmi switch for ps4/switch/pi/etc, do they introduce any meaningful input lag?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My Star Trek online story is that the devs of it were also working on this game called... Gods and Heroes? Gods and Monsters? It was an MMO set in mythical Rome times. I don't remember why, but I signed up for the forums and posted a ton and was trying to establish myself as someone who gets one of them beta invites. I was pretty excited about the game, they had this extensive housing system set up, where you'd establish a little camp that you could eventually expand into a full on estate with vineyard and stuff. You would have NPCs who worked for you or were your bodyguards. Depending on which God you chose to serve, you'd get different themed stuff or home locations plus character specific powers. The rest of it was pretty standard MMO stuff, except Roman themed.

I eventually did get my beta invite, and it was just a bad generic MMO of mid 2000s and had none of the stuff that would theoretically have made it interesting was remotely there. It also ran/played like poo poo and was ugly.

Anyway, one day the main company community guy was like gone or found another job or something, and it happened at the same time there was some funky stuff happening on the business end and I think a few disgruntled employees posted stuff and had it deleted. IIRC they found some forums poster to replace that guy and I guess his whole job was basically to just be the guy who had to deal with eventually telling them the game was stopping development and everyone was switching over to work on the Star Trek MMO. Just someone to take the heat from the announcement, always wonder if they even paid him.

I didn't think Star Trek MMO sounded like it could be good, if it was like your average 2005 MMO but ST themed. Plus, if it was the same company that made Gods & Heroes, it was probably horrible.

I'm guessing since STO still exists, and it turned out playable. Or is it just the only option for online Trek game so it exists on sheer Trek power?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I messed around with it a but a bunch of years back and the ship combat was legitimately fun. Full 3d movement is surprisingly rare in video games

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

not only the only star trek game, but also the story from what I've seen of it is better than anything else called star trek since ds9 ended. they kind of got hosed over when discovery came out and had to wrap stuff up early to tie things in there, though

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
when i played STO many years ago the ship combat was pretty good, there was decent character customization, and you could do some cool light crew management stuff and use your bridge crew as party members on away missions.

the ground combat was really not great though

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Yoba Skywalker Starwarsrules

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I enjoy No Man's Sky (after the original big patch, anyway) but it has the Minecraft problem of being a bit too aimless.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ive liked nms since release and kind of wish i could also download the original version of it to play sometimes

Weedle
May 31, 2006

oh my gosh i just googled the stardew valley guy and he is shockingly handsome. hes giving me the vapors

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Relax Or DIE posted:

question: i'm thinking of getting an hdmi switch for ps4/switch/pi/etc, do they introduce any meaningful input lag?

I was just going to say no but then I figured "hey why not prove it" so I re-configured my whole capture setup.

Nintendo switch is running into an HDMI splitter, one of the outputs is going directly into my capture card and the other output is going into my hdmi switch then into the capture card. Every time I paused these numbers were the same which means it's less than 1 frame if there is anything

Here's the switch I use
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJI0TJQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the splitter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HXFARS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

comedy option, the capture card I use
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1152003-REG/datapath_visionrgb_e2s_dvi_rgb_hd_video_capture.html

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Stux posted:

ive liked nms since release and kind of wish i could also download the original version of it to play sometimes

cause of the visual changes?

May 8, 2006

hell yeah thanks for putting in way too much effort to help my dumb rear end

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Star Trek game could really be good with some kind of FTL-esque random events. There's combat and stuff, sometimes, but like mostly you go around and scan and different stuff comes up. Sometimes it's some lady who comes on board with a flu that makes everyone horny, other times it's extra dimensional aliens who can eat the Borg like breakfast and they've got depression so you need to help!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Relax Or DIE posted:

hell yeah thanks for putting in way too much effort to help my dumb rear end

look I just wanted an excuse to post about my stupid capture card ok

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's midnight EST, new thread time

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912987

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i'll continue posting in this one as a protest, thank you

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uh2YSqsFU0

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's february

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Space dogfighting games should take a page from Battlestar Galactica and let you pull sick zero-g maneuvers like flipping your ship around on a dime to shoot someone on your tail while maintaining your forward momentum.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Both Elite and SC obviously implemented that as soon as they could IIRC (which was pretty early since it's pretty much just turning flight assist off), pretty sure there was also another arcadey one that was built around that, project sylpheed IIRC.

It's actually a terrible maneuver though since you're stuck on an inertial path all the while which means it's trivial to shoot you down while you're turning around. If you want to shoot behind you it's entirely safer to just have weapons that can aim backwards.

Chev fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 1, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

happy Jebruary 32rd all

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

claiming this thread. it's mine now

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wanting to give witcher 3 another try after enjoying the show. I did not much like the combat on normal - try hard to add more depth or go easy to get through it asap? I got up to early novigrad and skellige last time but I think I skipped a lot of content.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

witcher 3 chat is banned in my thread. not because i don't like it but because i need to establish authority

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I played Witcher 3 for the first time last year and it was really great. Glad I had finally gave the game a chance.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oddium posted:

claiming this thread. it's mine now
wrong it's mine, 1v1 me. that's just how things go here in the ruins of the january chat thread

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh ?? you're approaching me ??

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oddium posted:

oh ?? you're approaching me ??
that's right

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Stux posted:

also theres a ton of other space games that arent space sims. theres about 5000 weird space games about whatever, theyre not even hard to find, its harder to actually find space sims because most of them are awful right now.

anyway here play this there u go https://store.steampowered.com/app/863590/Starcom_Nexus/

Starcom has been on my radar for a while, but it's not 3D. :(

That's my issue: Once you say "but in 3D" suddenly it's back to those same four you listed earlier. And I fully realize why - 3D space is really hard to do. Which is why I wish somebody would take a crack at it on a smaller scale (and/or stay constrained to a 2D plane like Rebel Galaxy). Which I guess Outer Wilds actually does, but fjsdfjlsfjksfhsdf I hate the core premise. :argh:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

e: oops wrong month

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Gonna back TW101 on Kickstarter

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/1223629376622878720

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

witcher 3 chat is banned in my thread. not because i don't like it but because i need to establish authority

you should ban it because its a bad game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ban posting in this thread because it should have been closed by now

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

I’ll support it if it seems like it might succeed. Hopefully they don’t ask for a crazy amount

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It might just be an interest check, since they just got that big investment from Tencent to allow them to start self-publishing.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

i already played W101 because I'm a true gamer who appreciated the Wii U (rip)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

edit: please lock this thread i keep looking at it accidentally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

January is eternal