Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I also love that his insane books that give the colour # of people's shoes and intense and intricate mathematical dimensions of cups of water has sold more than people's genuine attempts to sell their own fantasy novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

the real story of Ulillilia is the weird people obsessed with him

Ul himself seems a very nice person who has grown and done well for himself

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.

Captain Yossarian posted:

I will behead anyone who insults Uli. He is a wholesome internet friend

This is true. He is good people & anyone who is mean to friend is un-good people. I can mathematically prove this.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I own both his books on kindle. Haven’t read much of them since every action every character makes is determined by ability scores and character levels and whatnot in a way completely unnatural to any sort of sensible narrative..

yeah, i can't say the books are good, but they are entertaining and i've never read anything else like them

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Pastry of the Year posted:

as opposed to a Great Online Friend

Are you quoting that other massive weirdo who constantly commented on his stuff, cos this has just made me uncomfortable but I can't remember why

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

A CRAB IRL posted:

Are you quoting that other massive weirdo who constantly commented on his stuff, cos this has just made me uncomfortable but I can't remember why

David Vallaincourt. A sad example of spiraling schizophrenia. Last time I checked he still pumps out videos weekly each with no more than 20 views

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

kazr posted:

David Vallaincourt. A sad example of spiraling schizophrenia. Last time I checked he still pumps out videos weekly each with no more than 20 views

I think his sister finally escaped

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

A good sister yes

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

kazr posted:

A good sister yes

AAAAAAAAAAAGH

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

kazr posted:

A good sister yes

Oh Christ.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Is that David guy still friend with Uli?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Is that David guy still friend with Uli?

He posts on Uli's facebook sometimes but not as much as he used to. I'd have to check David's facebook to see if Uli posts on there but looking more into anything related to David seems like a bad idea.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 11, 2020

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I still read Nick's posts on Facebook but I haven't seen anything from David Vallaincourt in a long time, I even tried searching Nick's friends and he didn't come up. I don't remember David saying anything offensive, just kinda weird and creepy but he must have done something that was enough to earn unfriending.

The saga of Uliputer 2020 continues, first his RAM was too tall and he has ordered new RAM but now he has discovered that his case lacks an optical drive bay so it's impossible for Uli to install Windows 10, nor could Uli install any drivers from the disks. A portable USB 3 burner is on the way but it will take 4 days to arrive. I'm just waiting to see Nick's reaction to Windows 10 and what he does to make it look like Windows 9x again. . .

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I still read Nick's posts on Facebook but I haven't seen anything from David Vallaincourt in a long time, I even tried searching Nick's friends and he didn't come up. I don't remember David saying anything offensive, just kinda weird and creepy but he must have done something that was enough to earn unfriending.

The saga of Uliputer 2020 continues, first his RAM was too tall and he has ordered new RAM but now he has discovered that his case lacks an optical drive bay so it's impossible for Uli to install Windows 10, nor could Uli install any drivers from the disks. A portable USB 3 burner is on the way but it will take 4 days to arrive. I'm just waiting to see Nick's reaction to Windows 10 and what he does to make it look like Windows 9x again. . .

I'm waiting for someone to suggest a Linux distro that he can make look like Windows XP but I don't wanna have to be the person to do it.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Crotch Fruit posted:

The saga of Uliputer 2020 continues, first his RAM was too tall and he has ordered new RAM

If his CPU fan had overhang that was hitting the RAM, why not get a different CPU fan that doesn't overhang?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

The thing I remember most vividly about Uli was when he was trying to get into composing music and admitted that it was his weak point, asking for outside help. He had some of the top of the line video game musicians offering to do the soundtrack for him, pro bono. Even Jake "Virt" Kaufman (Contra 4, Shantae, Bloodrayne, shitton others) composed a bunch of demo tracks that sounded incredible.

...And Uli rejected all of them because his OCD wouldn't allow him to relinquish his creative control over what he wanted the music soundtrack to sound exactly like he pictured it in his mind.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Did we ever figure out the pillow trick?

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Entorwellian posted:

...And Uli rejected all of them because his OCD wouldn't allow him to relinquish his creative control over what he wanted the music soundtrack to sound exactly like he pictured it in his mind.

Sounds like Chris Roberts :mmmhmm:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Telebite posted:

If his CPU fan had overhang that was hitting the RAM, why not get a different CPU fan that doesn't overhang?

The CPU is a Threadripper 3970X and the cooler is an Atric Freezer 50 TR. The CPU's TDP is 280W, I doubt there are a lot of coolers in that temp range. Really either option is about equally good, exchanging the RAM or CPU cooler.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Crotch Fruit posted:

The CPU is a Threadripper 3970X and the cooler is an Atric Freezer 50 TR. The CPU's TDP is 280W, I doubt there are a lot of coolers in that temp range. Really either option is about equally good, exchanging the RAM or CPU cooler.

Should have used this one. :)

https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-u14s-tr4-sp3-premium-grade-140mm-cpu-cooler-for-amd-tr4-sp3/p/13C-0005-00140

https://noctua.at/en/cpu/AMD_Ryzen_Threadripper_3970X

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.
dear GBS, I got it. Not sure how many people've done let's reads and the like (probably a shitton, considering this came out like a decade ago) but I'd definitely consider doing a reading series of this.

https://imgur.com/a/3L0bS4j

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

Entorwellian posted:

The thing I remember most vividly about Uli was when he was trying to get into composing music and admitted that it was his weak point, asking for outside help. He had some of the top of the line video game musicians offering to do the soundtrack for him, pro bono. Even Jake "Virt" Kaufman (Contra 4, Shantae, Bloodrayne, shitton others) composed a bunch of demo tracks that sounded incredible.

Smdh that you haven't listened to Bouncing To Victory 144,000 times at 0.90x true speed

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

A CRAB IRL posted:

Smdh that you haven't listened to Bouncing To Victory 144,000 times at 0.90x true speed

Oh God. I've never actually heard that song before. Is that clip on Youtube really what he'd listen to on repeat all day and night? :psyduck:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am assuming there are a couple people in here who don't troll Nick's facebook, if so:

Nick Facebook posted:

These are the first 5 (of currently 8 total) photos showing the computer build in progress - view each one for additional details on what they are. There's been a few changes since. For one, I got rid of that initial, intended-to-be-temporary RAM and got my more official, permanent RAM, due to an unforeseen problem caused by that monster of a CPU heatsink/fan. Then, because that HSF for the CPU is so large and it's blocking things so frequently, I felt I had to basically get rid of it and swap it out with water cooling. I'll be posting the photos of the other aspects later, including the reason why I had to return that temporary RAM.

The motherboard placed and aligned in the case, but not yet mounted. That is, I don't yet have the screws in at the time this photo was taken.

Look closely. That CPU really is the Ryzen Threadripper 3970X, the CPU with 32 cores/64 threads. It's going to be an absolute monster compared to my comparatively puny i7-2600K. That odd screwdriver-like thing is a special one intended to dismantle the CPU socket plate and put it back on again with the correct amount of torque (it's calibrated for 13 1/2 foot-pounds). I'll have to rewrite some of my programs as they're only set up for going out to 16 threads when I could have up to 64 going (hopefully a simple for loop is all I need to spawn the threads, referencing a global array of structures for the parameters needed.

Installing this CPU was different from what I knew beforehand. Originally, beforehand, you'd very gently place the CPU straight down into the socket, making sure it lined up with the pins and shape of the socket. This CPU involves the use of a carrying case that has to slide into a special slot then get gently laid down.

The CPU fan, however, was the biggest pain of all to deal with. The heat sink is massive, so big that it's covering up the RAM slots and it gets so close to the PCI-e x16 slot where the video card goes. However, here, the HSF is actually on backwards - I needed to rotate it 180° because the power plug for it is so short and on the opposite side where there was no possible way to plug it in like that. The other wires, feeding through to the back side of my case, are for a second fan and, in addition, the LED lights.

random facebook dude posted:

Wow that thins if huge!

Nick posted:

Yeah, so big that it's causing me too many problems that I'm getting rid of it in favor of water cooling instead.

This is that NVMe M.2 drive up very close. You can clearly see that it's 2 TB. The type 2 Philips screwdriver is there for a sense of size comparison. I was utterly surprised at just how small this thing was! If it had the same density of data but scaled up to the size of a typical 3 1/2-inch platter drive, it would have a capacity measuring a significant fraction of a petabyte! Speaking of petabyte, this SSD has a rated durability of 1200 TB, or just a bit over 1 petabyte. I know my 3 TB platter drive has probably written close to 2 PB in data so far in its life, through extensive video recording and what not. Platter drives have far, far longer longevity as far as total writing goes. SSDs don't quite have that. This SSD will contain the OS, programs, and my main working data. It'll also be used for recording video when my platter drives are unable to keep up, such as recording 4K gaming at 30 fps, something my current computer struggles with at just 10 fps with a fast video codec like Lagarith and lossless requires too high of a data rate to keep up. This is why I have no videos of OpenMW Morrowind - my system is unable to keep up with recording at 3200x2000 unless I get down to about 8 fps video and even then, it can still struggle with certain scenes. A RAM drive is intended for anything read/write heavy that can fit in 200 GB or so, such as tree generation (the final outputs will be written to the main drive, the temporary stuff to the RAM drive) or video frames should I need to apply a custom filter to a video that Virtual Dub lacks.
I'm not really sure just how right or wrong Nick is with his total write concerns, I think there might be some truth to the idea that hard drives are not specified to fail after a certain number of write but they will fail after a certain number of powered on hours. I think Nick is probably wrong, I think an SSD will likely last longer than a hard drive especially under normal usage scenarios, but I also remember when people were purposely killing SSDs in little time by writing as much as possible to them in the name of science, and some of those lasted only months, I don't remember (am not old enough to remember?) the same tests conducted on hard drives.

Also PC related, this is a comment from 2 days ago addressing his CPU cooler:

Nick posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074ZQXBBM/ - I now have this on the way. It'll be arriving on Tuesday. Due to having to frequently remove the HSF for the CPU just to even access the RAM, the thermal grease has likely been compromised a lot. On top of that, it'll also free up a lot of space to make it easier to work on things in the future, especially adding the last of the RAM.

Unrelated but classic Uli:

Nick posted:

Boy, gotta love it when you get gas the day before when it's $2.289 a gallon then, the next day, it jumps to $2.589. Such lucky timing! But it's not all luck either. I've taken note of patterns. When gas prices seem to stagnate, hardly changing, that's a huge warning that the price is about to sky rocket. I've had cases where I just miss it where I wait until I get the low gas warning then only put like $5 in, wait until the low gas warning again, then put another $5 in, typically another 3¢ per gallon cheaper by the second round. After this, I, again, go until I get the low gas warning then get about $10 in gas. From there, I keep that usual watch on the "behavior" of the price of gas and try to time it to being within 3 days of the big jump where I may only be missing out on about 2¢ a gallon, though it sure beats having to spend 25¢ more a gallon. Of course, factoring in the extra time, wear and tear on the car, etc. must also be done, so for those $5 references, it's usually to get enough gas to last about 2 to 2 1/2 days. The $10 reference is based on lasting for about 5 days.
I wish $10 worth of gas would last me 5 days, but I admire his devotion to trying to figure out the best days to buy gas. Sure the price fluctuates on a lot of factors, if anything I think it also tends to go up a lot every other Friday when it's pay day. I have thought about trying to make a weekly spreadsheet to try to see if there is a best or worse day of the week to buy gas but ultimately decided not to due to effort and precieved unpredictability in the price of gas. People commented to Nick that this is likely shortening the life of his fuel pump to which Nick replied he gasses up as soon as the lights goes on which should indicate 60 miles or about 1.5 gallons of gas left. Cant really say who is correct here, but at least Nick is sorta addressing people's concerns and not completely ignoring advice.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I wanted to be friends with Nick but I swear too much. :smith:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Why the hell does he need a $2,000 processor? I didn't even know they get that expensive.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
He needs to render trees for platform masters. It's very important!

Crotch Fruit posted:

I'm not really sure just how right or wrong Nick is with his total write concerns, I think there might be some truth to the idea that hard drives are not specified to fail after a certain number of write but they will fail after a certain number of powered on hours. I think Nick is probably wrong

He's right about this one. With that said, I think he over-estimates the amount of disk writes that he will make.

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 16, 2020

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
It's a $5,000 PC build, definitely overkill, but it's also send 8.5 years since his last upgrade, I have no doubt You will use this PC for several years.

Money wise, yeah I think he is wasting money, but I also think Nick is obsessed with budgeting enough to know how to afford this. To my knowledge, Nick doesn't ask people for money, not does he accept donations through Patreon or other means. Maybe some people bought his book as a way to support him maybe book sales might decline after this extravagant PC build.

My initial reaction was to dislike his PC build, but now I see it more as a sign of Uli's success. Living on his own in Florida and being able to afford this PC is an improvement compared to living with his parents. It's a lot of money for a computer, but video games are his biggest hobby. I'm jealous not Uli's PC build, but I am not upset or disappointed by it.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Drunken Baker posted:

I wanted to be friends with Nick but I swear too much. :smith:

He defriended me due to that

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Why the hell does he need a $2,000 processor? I didn't even know they get that expensive.

Aside from rendering scenery for Platform Masters he plays a lot of Morrowind and uses OpenMW to crank the graphics up. For rendering he only uses programs that he's written himself and they don't offload anything to the GPU so a more powerful processor would make things easier.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 16, 2020

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Goons really seem to not like people who build the most powerful computers they can.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Platform Masters really does have beautiful parallax scrolling

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

precision posted:

Platform Masters really does have beautiful parallax scrolling

It's the only game with parallax scrolling that extends to the planetary level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4uRnumVMOY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwHypvl-QmM

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

That is really amazing to look at. I really wish I could play it. :(

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

overmind2000 posted:

It's the only game with parallax scrolling that extends to the planetary level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4uRnumVMOY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwHypvl-QmM

That’s legit impressive.

I always liked Uli. He’s a weirdo but he’s harmless and knows he’s weird and actually put the effort in to improve his life. It’s so much better than the usual internet shut in weirdness like the dollfucker or MLP obsessed nut jobs.

Deafboy
Dec 5, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Uli rules & seeing him elevate himself in life has been very excellent
I think it’s badass that he is building a super computer

I wonder if he still sits on the floor or if he’s rockin a chair now

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Deafboy posted:

Uli rules & seeing him elevate himself in life has been very excellent
I think it’s badass that he is building a super computer

I wonder if he still sits on the floor or if he’s rockin a chair now

It's still the floor for everything whenever possible, his apartment doesn't even have furniture in it if I remember correctly. If he can't sit on the floor like in public places he'll stand although he will sit in booths when going out to eat.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2A1qYpp4HA

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
To be fair, sitting on the floor is cool and good as long as your place is clean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
The Uli-puter has hit literally hit a snag:

Nick Facebook posted:

And so I finally get the time and energy to work on the new computer, only to be faced with a very serious predicament that I have no solution for. And that stupid CPU fan is behind it. That thing seems to be cursed or something. I can't remove it because it's got 2 latching mechanisms (that are frustrating to work with in the first place) in order to remove the central fan which can be used to remove the screws that anchor the whole HSF to the motherboard. I can't reach the second latch because the video card is in the way and the heat sink is so big. I tried to remove the video card, but I can't get to the PCI-e locking mechanism that secures it to the motherboard because the CPU's HSF is in the way. There's literally about 3/16 inch of clearance between the HSF and the video card. I want to get rid of that stupid HSF as it's causing so, so many more problems than it's helping so I can get the water cooling system going. I must be able to remove one or the other. Any ideas?

If I can get the video card out, I can get to that second latch so I can disassemble the CPU's HSF, and it's probably the easiest method. If I can get the second latch removed from the HSF, I can remove the screws that secure it to the CPU and motherboard so I can remove the whole system (and, at this point, just throw in the trash because of how irritating and problematic this HSF is (though I'd rather return it) and give it a poor rating).

I have a Noctua NH-D14 and it was kinda a pain in the rear end to attach, more importantly it's a hell of a lot of weight hanging off a PCB. I'm paranoid because I had a warped Socket A motherboard from an Alpha PAL 8045 (and a Vantec tornado fan. . . fucker was louder than a vacuum cleaner). Granted the mounting on that socket and heat sink used the PCB only with no back plate but it still makes me nervous to have the Noctua hanging off the PCB. Uli didn't include a pic of his situation but I fear he might have found the magical combination of hardware that would lock itself together forever.