Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (June 17 and 19, 1933)

Peanuts (January 1-2, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (July 30-31, 1937)

Out Our Way (November 11-13, 1935)

(Spoilered for Ick.)

The effortpost portion of my thread contribution will be back tomorrow...if things don't go weird again tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (December 15, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (February 9, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (October 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (January 25, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (June 28, 1935)

Dark Laughter (April 1, 1939)

“Mr. Bootsie, a coupl’a gentlemins outchyer wants ta see you ‘bout sump’n - an’ ya better put on ya hat’n coat.”

Mopsy Sunday (August 25, 1946)

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (February 18, 1950)

“No! No! Gimme it back I said! … You’re NOT gonna make any more ‘Kiss balls’ outa my valentine - they’re nothin’ but SPIT wads an’ I’M INSULTED!”

Wee Pals (March 20, 1965)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (May 18, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Sept 28-29, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(Mar 8, 2018)

(Mar 27, 2018)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Everett it's an auction, you don't get to buy it automatically if he stops talking, let the man try and get higher bids, that's his job.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

As you might remember, Crywood Inc. was heavily in debt and the other shareholders forced Isopaljo to work for Nappila, which was a huge humiliation for a guy like him. Nappila, however, was formed by Anja Koskinen and other former employees of Juniper which was nothing but a tool to make a quick (illegal) buck and left to fall apart. Calling some kind of "original ownership" on those grounds is pretty rich even for Isopaljo.

:bisonyes:

I like how it's Ronka who dealt this final blow on Isopaljo, since Ronka's one of the few who told people to gently caress off with their homophobia toward Ulf.

Green Intern posted:

I think the Dome Director really made a miscalculation when he sent Axa on her mission.

Axa sucks as an adventure story, but it's great as an unintentional comedy of the most incompetent agent ever.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

amigolupus posted:

:bisonyes:

I like how it's Ronka who dealt this final blow on Isopaljo, since Ronka's one of the few who told people to gently caress off with their homophobia toward Ulf.

Axa sucks as an adventure story, but it's great as an unintentional comedy of the most incompetent agent ever.

Okay so, Can you explain the last few panels there? Like, I get that the dude was trying to buy up all the shares on the sly, under peoples noses.

Did Uffe gently caress him over by....well, I get that it's all bad for Whatshisface there, but I don't know the exact mechanics WRT the stock situation.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

An impromptu gently caress you to elon musk seems appropriate now

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (January 1-2, 1974)

I looked it up, and it turns out I suspected correctly. The Grand Marshal of the 1974 Rose Parade was Charles M. Schulz, creator/author/artist of Peanuts.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Johnny Aztec posted:

Okay so, Can you explain the last few panels there? Like, I get that the dude was trying to buy up all the shares on the sly, under peoples noses.

Did Uffe gently caress him over by....well, I get that it's all bad for Whatshisface there, but I don't know the exact mechanics WRT the stock situation.
Due to the conversation he 'overheard' from Uffe, Isopaljo thought that he could scoop through the employees and buy up a controlling amount of shares for cheap in the company before its bought by a multinational, which would increase the value of the shares once it was publicly known. Instead, Uffe has been working to release more shares, so each individual share will be worth even less and grants less voting power, so not only won't he be able to get the company 'back', but he'll lose money doing it.
Essentially he's tricked Isopaljo into attempting a hostile takeover at the worst possible time.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In this installment of The Timid Soul (April 1, 1935), look at the detail on that furniture.

I wonder how old "Do Not Disturb" signs are. I wouldn't think they could pre-date modern multi-room hotels...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Monster Rally – 1950

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Monster Rally – 1950

:eyepop:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (May 2, 1989)

I love this one. Old Garfield had such good art to sell these kinds of weird physical gags.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

Monster Rally – 1950

I can't tell what she's doing. Melting her ring? About to try burning her new husband with...something?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

rannum posted:

I can't tell what she's doing. Melting her ring? About to try burning her new husband with...something?

Branding Iron?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

And for a small peek into the times, you may notice a theme here:

(poster's note: Wright Angles is purestrain conservative boomer garbage and this is hopefully the only time I will post it)

Feminism/women's lib/etc pops up a lot in the '78 paper, which isn't super surprising.

And another bonus, because it reminded me of these tweets:

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics BUSTER IS COMING

Footrot Flats

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 31, 2020

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe presents: Little Women, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Rae the Doe's web archives, with some extremely unplanned synchronicity!

Accomplishments

New Year's Eve

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ardeem posted:

Branding Iron?

Bingo

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

no, that was Haifisch's Bushmiller Nancy strip.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment of The Timid Soul (July 2, 1934) (chosen because this is page 666), I'd never heard of opals being considered bad luck before. (From what I can tell, it was already a rather antiquated notion at the time.)

Note how Caspar fears the ambulance colliding with a telegraph pole, not a telephone pole.

Also note how the meaning of the word "Prophylactic" has evolved over the decades.

And just look at all the work Webster put into drawing those hands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_of_Geierstein#Anne_of_Geierstein_and_opals

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Haifisch posted:

And another bonus, because it reminded me of these tweets:

I read it as being ham-handed with the amounts, not having an instinct for what blends instead of taking over.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PainterofCrap posted:

Monster Rally – 1950

I find a lot of these incomprehensible and others I think I get what the joke is supposed to be but I'm not sure.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I find a lot of these incomprehensible and others I think I get what the joke is supposed to be but I'm not sure.

I get them all but the last one which just seems like a normal thing married couples do?????

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

amigolupus posted:

Is this the story where Lindesfarne uses DNA Magic to trick the racists that they're all descended from prey species?

Close enough.

Classic Kevin and Kell (September 28 - October 2, 1998)

This isn't too far-fetched, by the way: there was a racist who famously went on TV to have a DNA test to prove his "purity of blood" and when it came out that he had some african-american ancestors he was shunned by his racist "friends."

Extra content! A look into the comments for these strips.

For the penultimate strip (October 1st):

And for the last strip (October 2nd):

Not even furry webcomics are safe from the fash, sadly. At least he's been downvoted a lot.

Happy new year, folks! See y'all on the other side.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What the gently caress are with its legs? It’s just a dude in a fur suit no?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

LingcodKilla posted:

If you're talking about Archie from Bad Machinery it's because he's a juvenile wendigo, not a dog.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The_Other posted:

If you're talking about Archie from Bad Machinery it's because he's a juvenile wendigo, not a dog.

Oh I thought the artist never saw an animal like the “overboard” guy.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

LingcodKilla posted:

The_Other posted:

Also, he's resembling Lottie's drawing. I don't remember if that ended up being just a coincidence, but at this point of the story we can presume that he was created by the magic pencil.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Magna Kaser posted:

I get them all but the last one which just seems like a normal thing married couples do?????

They are going to a costume party presumably. Possibly with a medieval or renaissance theme. He’s dressed as a silly jester. She’s a peasant with a head on a spike. That is the joke.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Green Intern posted:

She’s a peasant with a head on a spike. That is the joke.
French revolutionary with her husband's severed head on a spike.

(also contrast to the husband's silly stick-puppet)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 31, 2020

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kennel posted:

French revolutionary with her husband's severed head on a spike.

(also contrast to the husband's silly stick-puppet)

You’re right. I posted right when I woke up and got 99% to the actual thing.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

[b]Pondus[]/b

(Spoilered because the artist just can't help himself when it comes to drawing racial caricatures)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i didn't know yoko ono had joined the gorillaz.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 10, 1943)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/30/00

Brenda Starr 3/18/45

Re the ninth panel: I know My Sin, Allure, and One Night of Love were popular brands of perfume, so I assume the others are too. (Also note the thrifty woman who's wearing "Five and Dime Special.")

Smokey Stover 3/6-8/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

i didn't know yoko ono had joined the gorillaz.

doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä