Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Let's relive the greatest comic story of 2019!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
(Surgeon's Tales will return soon'ish. I've been lazy and haven't built a buffer or written a recap)

Nancy by Olivia James was really fresh and good at first, then got really boring, lately it's been a mixed bag. Still better than Gilchrist, obviously.

I started posting classic Nancy in 2017 and they are now doing repeats from that year. I will probably stop posting when we start getting stuff that I've already posted.

Dustin is a lovely boomer comic.

Wow, what a way to a start a new year. :rolleyes:

Mandrake is really stupid but hilarious adventure strip. The current story is from 2002

Viivi & Wagner is a popular Finnish comic about a woman who fucks a pig. We ran out of official English translations, so I'm translating and posting the first three months of the comic from 1997. There's rarely an proper joke and IMO these aren't very good, but at least it's pretty unique compared to every other strip in this thread.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 1, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Does anyone have the Dustin edit where Ed strokes out in panel two and Helen just watches him collapse and presumably die in panel three? That one always puts a smile on my face.

Also forgot that I made this:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Has there even been any jokes or plot points where the signal delay mattered?

He highlights it, but every dialogue between the planets goes as if they were next to each other.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

For about 11 months I've been translating and posting Surgeon's Tales. It's a comic based on Finnish author Zachris Topelius' historical novel that was published originally between 1853 and 1867 (original Swedish language title: Fältskärns berättelser) and not particularly well known outside Finland. The comic itself was published in the 1950s and follows the original text very closely.

Recap:

The story began in 1631 and so far we have followed mostly Kustaa Bertelsköld, a Finnish soldier who turned out to be a bastard son of Swedish king Gustavus Adolphus/Gustav II Adolf. He and his descendants were cursed by his grandfather and blessed by his mother and there is also a magical ring that is said to bring a great fortune for anyone who holds it. It's somewhat ambiguous if magic is real or if it's just God's will, but Bertelsköld becomes a count and a general before he gives a false oath and drowns. The ring is lost, but I'm presuming it appears again soon enough.

The year is now 1671 (I think) and while I haven't read ahead, we will probably start following Kustaa's son Bernhard Bertelsköld who is shown to be a tender-hearted unlike his ambitious father. While the Swedish conquest in Poland didn't work out, they managed to took large regions from Denmark and control most of the Baltic Sea.

Swedish empire in the 1660s (yellow):

And here we go, with even more :words:

I'm sure we will learn more about the Battle of Poltava (1709) before next Christmas, but let's not get ahead of our story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_X_Gustav_of_Sweden
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_XI_of_Sweden

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

1997 Dustin Viivi & Wagner

Kennel fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 3, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Obvious:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

During Great Reduction (1680) the Swedish Crown revoked large amount of lands from the nobility. Saved the economy (the nobleman didn't have to pay taxes for those lands), but made lots of people angry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelia
Per Brahe was the governor-general of Finland 1637-40 and 1648-54. He founded ten cities, the first university and supported Finnish language. He's one of the most notable names in the Finnish history before the 19th century.

Amusingly it isn't mentioned here, but Brahe was also one of the Sweden's richest men and the leader of the regency government, so perhaps the biggest oligarch of them all.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

He appeared in a Sunday story, so we haven't met him.

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Kennel fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 3, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Terserus

The standardized written Finnish was created by Martin Luther's student Mikael Agricola, who translated the New Testament in 1548, but it wasn't until 1642 when the entire Bible was translated.
The first Finnish university Royal Academy of Turku was founded in 1640.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

1997 Viivi & Wanger

I'm honestly not sure how this comic managed to become so ridiculously popular.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 16-17, 1986)

My favorite strip as a kid.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 4, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

duz posted:

Firefox has a screen capture tool built into it, just right click the page and select it to start.

Thanks for pointing out. That's really handy. No need to use extra scripts with gocomics any more.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zereth posted:

how many times has religion come up in this strip before

I can't remember any.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales feat. the majestik møøse

Åland is an island group between Sweden and Finland.

Nancy

Dustin

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
S O M E G I Z M O

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

I thought this was a repeat, but nope. This was on Saturday:

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mr. Squishy posted:

I jumped into the new thread after getting 300 pages behind. What happened to the art of the strip with the pigman and his girlfriend? Has it gone into reruns from the early days?

Kennel posted:

Viivi & Wagner is a popular Finnish comic about a woman who fucks a pig. We ran out of official English translations, so I'm translating and posting the first three months of the comic from 1997. There's rarely an proper joke and IMO these aren't very good, but at least it's pretty unique compared to every other strip in this thread.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Powered Descent posted:

Me too!

Silly question, though... how do you pronounce the name? Joo-SEE-ka?

quote:

pronounced "YU-tzi-ka", meaning "Lil' Judy" or "Lil' Julie"
Thank you, tvtropes!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedwig_Eleonora_of_Holstein-Gottorp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliana_of_Hesse-Eschwege

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

:allears:

1997 Viivi & Wagner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tex_Willer

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Here's my second opinion: You are not getting older!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Since we are in a new thread, I guess it's worth mention that he's actualy Count Bernhard Bertelsköld, one of the main characters.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Viivi & Wagner with topical 1997 gags

This came out about 2 months after both had died.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Aunt Tildy is a big fan of WWE's current cuckold storylines.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

catlord posted:

Hal Foster Prince Valiant got posted for a while in a previous thread, but unfortunately the poster ran out of sources partway through and had to drop it. I'm glad to see it back! Can't wait to see Etrigan show up again, that was a treat to see.

I had to check out. Classic Valiant was posted by GorfZaplen from November 2013 to February 2015 and we reached January 1945.

It's a great comic and deserves to get reposted.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 9, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

There's no English wiki page for Horn, but he was the king's teacher/adviser and about 50 years old at this point.

We saw Kreeta and Johannes about 150 strips ago. Kreeta was Bernhard's first love and Johannes her nerdy suitor, who was with the bailiff when the peasants attacked his house.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The Bloop posted:

So, Ed's license plate. Random gibberish or hidden meaning?

possible meanings: RGB color that is essentially black, 26, 1A

first amendment?

Ed's a Binar?

"The cops will never know if they are I or 1 and O or 0!"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

The King needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 11, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Ah, the early days of mobile phone etiquette.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

1997 Dustin Viivi & Wagner

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Bongo Bill posted:

I beg your pardon

It's clumsy (and probably grammatically wrong because I followed the original structure too closely), but I was in a hurry and couldn't come up with better phrasing.

I guess the better translation would be: "if the moose had been polite enough to get shot." (it's an intentionally humorous sentence)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 13, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Bongo Bill posted:

I think replacing "themselves" with "them" at the end would do the trick. It changes who exactly is being shot.

Yeah, in hindsight, that's pretty obvious.

Thanks for the input btw. I guess people don't usually bother nitpicking about internet post grammar, but unfortunately it means that my skills aren't improving very quickly.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Had to read this twice:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

The game they play is said to be "femkort och trumf", probably this [in Swedish]: https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femkort

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Kennel fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 14, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

readingatwork posted:

Robbie and Bobby (Jan 14-15, 2015)

gently caress you, licorice is the best!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (June 22, 1988)

:prepop:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

She was eight years older than the king.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Reminder that Bernhard already killed one nobleman after courting his bride.

Nancy

Dustin

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales