Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Tim. He speaks to me.

Happy new decade. Be queer, do crimes. Fight the power. I'll give the short run down rather than full history.

Family Circus began in 1960, under Bil Keane. He died in 2011 and the comic has continued under his son, Jeff (who was the namesake of Jeffy.) Bil remains the father character, his wife Thel (yes they have names.) And the kids, Jeffy, Billy, Dolly, and PJ. 99.9% of the time is glurgy trite. But every so often you'll get a gem. Like this Halloween 2012 strip,

Rose is Rose, Pat Brady in 1984. More slice of life glurgy. There is a baby cousin who talks weird (Pasquale used to have that speech impediment.) Brady likely has a fat fetish, there were old comics involving it. Plus Rose's mom is, not a svelte lady. Also Rose's "biker chick" alter ego is incredibly mild and tame.

One Big Happy, Rick Detorie, 1988. Same pattern. Thread used to like it, then Rick went more "gently caress you got mine" about the poors and such and it's gotten real awkward. Usually it's inoffensive, but sometimes. Man.

For Better or For Worse, aka Foob, aka BOXCARS aka Roadside. The progenitor of :fireman:
Lynn Johnston, 1979 to 2008. Jesus crust we've been here since it ended, goddamn.
September 1, 2008, Lynn started the comic from the beginning again. Redrawing it. There's a lot there but in short it's restarted with some slight changes. And hoo boy, Johnston is. Something.

Compu-Toon Charles Boyce, 1994. "If you’ve ever struggled to turn your cell phone off, thought cookies were just a delicious snack, and tried in vain to talk to a human customer service rep, Charles Boyce has created a strip for you. Compu-toon reminds us that technological innovations haven’t necessarily made our lives any easier -- maybe just more funny. " is how Boyce describes it. What is the strip actually?
It's a tech strip written by someone who's astoundingly tech illiterate. But sometimes Boyce has the weirdest moments of clarity.

Bizarro Dan Piraro, 1985 - 2017, starting in 2018, Wayne 'Wayno' Honath took over the dailies, and Piraro does the Sunday strips.
This is Dan Piraro should answer all questions.

I used to post Dilbert as well. But Scott Adams is loving terrible and we no longer post. That was, an experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think you're being very charitable on One Big Happy, but I suspect I may have also said that last year :v:

The thread did USED to enjoy it. Then Rick got lovely.
And my source for Foob info is admittedly Wikipedia because this isn't a college class so I'm doing the minimum of research plus Lynn is weird and strange.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PuddingKnight posted:

Oh, I'm not blaming you or anything! The switch to the hybrids and the redraws and what not was really weird and I never found out what the deal was, and it wasn't helped by going through the autiobio takedown that Transmordiar posted last thread, where it wasn't clear if she let go and just did reruns after the hybrid was over or not!

There's also the fact I'm not sure myself either so who knows.

PetraCore posted:

I hate that I have to clarify this but it's worse than a fat fetish, it's a feeder fetish, where Rose is svelte and Jimbo would deliberately stuff her with food in an attempt to fatten her up so she looked like her mother, who Jimbo identified as having a far more attractive figure.

I'm clarifying this because I feel like feeder stuff is far creepier, especially stuff like early Rose is Rose where it centers on the fed party being unaware of their partner's intention to make them fat.

I must have forgotten the details. That sounds exactly right though.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 2, 2020

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zereth posted:

Don't forget the mascot of the strip, the Keypad Kid, who's a... nonspecific keypad with a screen (which is its face). It's not anything specific, just some weird nebulous thing which doesn't correspond to any actual computer hardware.

Nono, the Keypad Kid is a mascot for something to do with "the digital divide" I forget the specifics at the moment.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Yes late 70s to somewhere in the 80s Lynn, trans men exist.

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Johnny Walker posted:

The Keypad Kid© is the mascot of the Keypad Kid Project, which hopes to educate the public on new waves of technology to bridge the digital divide at homes, businesses, churches, and special groups.

Apparently, my avatar is the Early Warning Bird, which has no stated purpose. There is also a dog named Pound for some reason.

That said, Charles Boyce is a extremely nice man who is trying to help people and in my opinion is a National Treasure and I feel bad about making fun of his work but I just can't help it.

Bles. Yeah, Boyce is alright, he means well. He's just so charmingly befuddling most of the time. But he's never been lovely that I'm aware of. He just doesn't understand technology, at all.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vargo posted:

Curt- ahahahahaha what the gently caress is this, billingsley you suck so hard, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogaV_9cUbQo???

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

gently caress you. I do not want to read works by transphobes, bigots, and fuckers. gently caress off.

Have some good news then!

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon, wherein Boyce tries so hard and it comes across as. Dopey, but reasonable.

Bizarro

Foxtrot

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Please no more Dilbert, we banished Adams for being a poo poo head.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Maltose posted:

Its extremely cool how multiple trans posters in this thread, including the forum mod, have repeatedly stated that Dilbert makes them feel bad in a way distinct from the lovely strips that get posted here only to get repeatedly talked over by people who cant just go to Comics Kingdom to look at garbage. No one makes Dilbert edits, there is no good discussion to be had from it, what do yall even want it for beyond the joy of punching down some more?

Don't forget the poo poo originally started because a trans poster didn't even bother to actually read the comics she was posting. Because I probably did it a day I was working early. And thus didn't even notice the "holy poo poo WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU" of the strip in question. And I'd been posting Dilbert for years.

But yes, I love to be told "just suck it up and skip the posts" as well. :v:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palette swap posted:

Dilbert
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghostlight posted:

for real though, it's because after kevin's dad catfished her she married a skunk with twenty children from a previous marriage who then abandoned them along with her ~lol~

That sounds to loving stupid, even for Holbrook. I will accept no proof to the contrary, even directly from his backlogs.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am offended. Offended by how loving stupid Holbrook is.

Family CIrcus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Archyduchess posted:

I want to point to this bit from the BSS rules:

Usually I let it slide if it's a little funny or innocuous but this post is pretty weird, and it's a Deliverance joke in 2020!

Thank you, that was kinda weird yeah.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Foxtrot

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm already faascinated, ArchyDuchess. Proceed.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh dang I'm gonna have to get used to a new av. What's she postin? was good. But trans pride Little My is also good, and Praxis. What up new av sister.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coronatae posted:

At this point I want it to be true that Gunther is in fact fuckin

Two Gunths having sex *clap clap*

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Snorkmaiden :allears:

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Foxtrot

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Correct, that is a good reason to hate it.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghostlight posted:

i know the joke is "5canine" but it took a while not to read it as "ska" and imagining he's just at the starting line skanking his little heart out.

Ska is Not Dead!

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kidcoelacanth posted:

Rose is gonna eat a pepper and fuckin die

We can only hope. 🙏
Yeah I noticed that too, and was mildly shocked at 3am.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is this, posting at noon thing. It's not 3am. Weird.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's definitely a hat.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Come the gently caress on Zakour & Roberts, you don't give a poo poo about basketball.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blizzards have FLAGS it all makes sense now.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar