Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I haven't seen Juggs Parker in here for a while. Is nobody posting that any more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrumpleOrz posted:

Frazz is maybe the worst strip in the thread. It's about a songwriter janitor in an elementary school and the precocious children that surround him. It stole its art style from Calvin & Hobbes but none of the humor or charm.

Why is this grown man hanging around unrelated fourth graders over holiday break?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tiggum posted:

I was posting it, but I've been some combination of busy/lazy/drunk lately and haven't been. Also getting the ones I missed is currently a hassle because my Comics Kingdom account is broken and despite repeated back-and-forth with their support people they seemed unable to fix it, and have now stopped responding to my emails. :thumbsup:

I had the exact same experience late spring/early summer with Comics Kingdom.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Endless Mike posted:

Just how old is Iris supposed to be? 30 going on 60?

Her son is supposed to be in his 20s so somewhere in her 40s I guess?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Archyduchess posted:

Yeah! The Hal Foster strips are always spoken of in such reverent tones but I never got around to reading them, so this has been great.

Of course for the full effect you'd have to read them in 20"x14" newsprint.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Medenmath posted:

You're welcome! Sorry it's just three days a week, but I'm lazy. Originally you'd have had to wait a week between strips, of course.

Absolutely. I'll use this to remind everyone that Fantagraphics publishes lovely oversized collections and you should buy them all.

Which I'd love to but absolutely cannot justify spending $800 on.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

This aged poorly, quickly.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Some Guy TT posted:

That was me. Bechdel addresses this in one of the later ones with an in-character segment where the characters are contrasting whether they're better off being represented by obnoxious radical dykes that are true to life or more obviously sympathetic mainstream lesbians that are palatable to straights. This whole philosophical aspect of the strip dates it very weirdly, since by the time Dykes to Watch Out For was finished the latter argument had basically won, but as we're seeing today it's starting to feel like maybe they shouldn't have. I think part of why Bechdel trailed off and gave up writing it was because her characters didn't really have any purpose anymore, forced to live in a modern lgbt culture that was everything they had fought against. None of this context necessarily makes Dykes to Watch Out For any more readable, although it might help some of you get a better idea of where Bechdel was coming from.

On a less aesthetic note my Dykes to Watch Out For strips were very crudely collected from the Internet Archive off of now-defunct sites that used to host them, resulting in many obnoxiously large gaps in between comics. So if something happens that you don't remember seeing, there's a very good chance you never actually saw it in the first place. Kudos to Archyduchess for actually going with a proper distribution method this time. We all appreciate the effort.

Yeah, my impression from the last time it was posted in here was that sure it was historic and significant and groundbreaking and all that but it also wasn't particularly readable as a comic strip.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Powered Descent posted:

Strangely enough, I always heard that as the justification for why the man traditionally stands on the right when getting married -- so his right arm would be free in case he needed to draw his sword.

I'm starting to think traditions don't always make a whole lot of sense.

It was probably just some social convention and then people in the 19th and 20th century made up justifications out of thin air.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Some Guy TT posted:

Zits is doing a really job making me dislike the meme now since the way Jeremy is using it is just as obnoxious as when boomers refer to literal children as millennials.

Which is a stunningly accurate use of a meme in a comic strip.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

One thing I’ve always thought was funny was that Star Wars stuff always goes on about how the Empire treats all their personnel as if they were expendable and doesn’t make any effort to keep individuals alive, but the TIE fighters and stormtroopers both wear enclosed spacesuits that presumably can survive the vacuum of space, while the Rebels all have open-faced helmets and would be completely hosed if they survive their ship’s destruction.

The TIE pilots have the full suits because the fighters don't have life support systems.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth
9 Chickweed Lane

Uh, did I miss a strip explaining why a young healthy woman would need to schedule hospitalization during pregnancy?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tiggum posted:

"Trust but verify" is one of the most infuriatingly dumb phrases. The two things are mutually exclusive. Trusting means not checking. If you're verifying then you don't trust. :argh:

Only if you view trust as a black and white binary.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pastry of the Year posted:

re: "trust but verify" - I always thought it was intended to be a cynical proverb that boiled down to its inherent contradiction. You trust people to their faces and then quietly, privately verify their statement.

I take it to mean that you don't treat everyone like a criminal who's trying to scam you, but you still want to check up now and again due to human nature.

For example, I believe that most of my students are honest and won't cheat on tests, but I still set up the room to forestall human temptation. It's not that I think they're inherently dishonest, but I also account for human weakness.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

RoboRodent posted:

I hate the trope of "women are so mysterious and complex how can any man possibly ever hope to understand them!!!!!!!"

We're loving human beings, you rubes. We're just neurotic apes, same as men. We're the same goddamn species.

We live as we dream, alone
To crack the shell we mix with the others
Some flirt with fascism
Some lie in the arms of lovers

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Every time I think Brooke McEldowney is as creepy and weird as he can get...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zereth posted:

:raise: there was a marathon in antarctica?

https://www.racingtheplanet.com/thelastdesert

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Evil Mastermind posted:

You just know Batiuk's been itching to kill off another character.

Comics Curmudgeon posted:

We’ve already seen the 10-years-ahead version of Max in Funky Winkerbean, still running the barely solvent Valentine, so I guess, despite the heavy air of foreboding looming over the final panel of this strip, that he isn’t going to die in a ditch on this dangerous night ride. I can’t remember if we saw Hannah and/or their future child during that sequence, though. Maybe she’s going to die in childbirth? Right there, in the theater? Because Crankshaft doesn’t care about his own safety or the safety of others? It would sure make the failure of the Valentine, his last connection to his dead beloved, all the more poignant!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

RandomPauI posted:

Why is Edda making out with Gulk?

Because Brooke McEldowney is the loving worst.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hostile V posted:

...holy gently caress I never understood that Calvin's hair actually looks like Astro Boy's in that strip.

:same:

I had no idea who Astro Boy was when I was 7.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Calaveron posted:

Now where will I get my it’s barely September why are Christmas decorations going up already jokes or my retail is a thankless hateful job that I loathe with white hot intensity but due to economic downturn and a dearth of opportunities I can’t afford to not do it yuks or the always famous everyone is an idiot but me chuckles

There will always be Dilbert.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ghostlight posted:

i don't know quite when but brooke has just lost all sense of shame during this pregnancy arc and i can only imagine the colourists are glad to be receiving digital inks rather than the spattered originals.

Women pregnant with twins plan to wear ultra revealing clothes in the near future. Brooke sure knows women!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

9 "WILL YOU PLEASE PUT A SOCK IN IT" Lane

I... I don't think you can reject anesthesia for a caesarean.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Transmodiar posted:

Lynn has a raging hard-on for the childhood sweetheart, and it's worth sharing this takedown of love in FOOB again to show just how ridiculous things get:

https://shaenon.livejournal.com/29475.html

quote:

I hate Anthony. I hate him more than I’ve ever hated a cartoon character, and, yes, I’m including both Scrappy-Doo and Ted Rall.

:classiclol:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Bloop posted:

I wasn't advocating for draconic or otherwise bad teaching practices and its weird that some people can't separate their experience of how they were instructed in something from the thing itself

I haven't used cursive since elementary school and I sure as hell don't care if my students do. I've got plenty of other ways to teach patience and precision than sweating over an outmoded means of writing.

Green Intern posted:

I am on the edge of my seat at the thought of Troubled Kids in Mark Trail. How racist/classist can we get? How completely detached from reality will this be? We’ll soon find out!

I hope they're just like the Clean Cut Kids, who were like 40 and had facial hair.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Okay, I have Far Side Gallery 1-3 and all the collections past that and there are comics being posted I know I've never read.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean, featuring a return to "Bull" poo poo.

Stop trying to make "vendo" happen, Tom. It's not going to happen.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Love it.

Love it.

My humble contribution:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I hope it's not too late to get tagged... the comic strip thread is the entire reason I paid :10bux: years ago. I had no idea there were other weirdos passionate about this dumb dead low art form.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maltesh posted:

Question: Is the supernatural ever real in Prince Valiant, or is it always classic Scooby Doo shenanigans?

Early Prince Valiant had a lot more magic and so on, he eventually dropped it and made it more realistic.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Familiar, comfortable, and convenient: the Mary Worth ideal man!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mikl posted:

Sorry, I've been away for a while and skipped a load of strips, what was Tildy's health problem?

She old.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I'm not really sure which reason to hate you is the best reason.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EasyEW posted:

Oh, I have such a thing to show you today....

9 "Yes, The Perfect Thing For A Woman Who Just Had Her Uterus Ripped Open To Do" Lane

Definitely the figure associated with a woman who just had two humans cut out of her abdomen.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Green Intern posted:

Because of how the panel captions are laid out, I thought Val had burned down a village before I saw the text.

The village had blocked his path. Knight customs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MariusLecter posted:

Like the one where they put cream, eggs and sugar in a carton and microwave it on high for like 15 minutes and get a delicious looking custard out of it?

I only learned a month ago that fake cooking videos were a thing and wtf?
https://news.avclub.com/its-probably-not-your-fault-if-the-kitchen-hack-you-l-1841766800

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crowetron posted:

Okay, I missed some stuff in this latest Phantom storyline, so I was assuming he had a goal in mind for breaking into jail that he messed up by losing his temper and had to flee.

But assaulting a prisoner was the goal? That was the whole point of this arc? What the gently caress, Ghost Who Walks?

He was trying to determine if the Nomad was still getting outside information and sending orders to his organization on the outside. After finding that out, he broke his jaw on principle.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mikl posted:

Why are you two still together again? Between this and the previous "let's have an open relationship -- actually wait, I only meant for me to get more dick, not for you to get more pussy"... I mean, you clearly can't stand each other and are mutually terrible. Why are you still together?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

StrixNebulosa posted:

Trying to find out what an ultima thule is, and wikipedia ain't helping. The hell, Batiuk. What are you talking about.

https://joshreads.com

quote:

One of my least favorite running Funky Winkerbean bits — amazingly, I do have a hierarchy — is jokes at the school that are set up by the teacher saying “Can anyone tell me [fairly obscure fact X]” in a way that really seems to strongly imply that the students have never encountered fact X in their curriculum, but he’s mad at them for not knowing the answer anyway, because it’s their fault they don’t know the name of, for instance, random Kuiper Belt objects off the top of their head. Anyway, did you know that this particular Kuiper Belt object isn’t even called Ultima Thule anymore? Science teacher dude whose name I forget hates kids, hates teaching, doesn’t keep up with his field of study, and probably should look into retiring as soon as possible, is what I’m saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

How Wonderful! posted:

If you walk into the bedroom of a man in his 30s and he has a Lolita poster front and center, pivot on your heels and march right on home on the double.

On the other hand, you should encourage the worst people you know to hook up so they leave everyone else alone.