Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma is a South Korean office comic which appears in the weekday sports newspaper Sports Dongah. Its written and drawn by Park Sung-hoon, who also did the predecessor strip It's All Right Chief Dharma in the Daily Focus and the webcomic Mother from Another Country. I am as far as I know the only person who has ever translated any of them.

My posting rate has slowed recently because I pull editable images from Park Sung-hoon's personal blog and for whatever reason he doesn't post as many of these as are actually published in print. All Boss Dharma comics are available on the Sports Dongah website in PDF form, but this part of the website doesn't appear to be intended to be used for public access, since the whole backlog is available this way and there's no user-friendly way to navigate it. This link works sometimes if you just change the date but a lot of the time Boss Dharma either isn't on page twelve or the formatting for that particular day is different and I just get a dead link.

By the same token Mother from Another Country is currently in its fourth season. Kakao has used some sort of technical wizardry so that even using shenanigans like disabling javascript or downloading the webpage directly won't provide me with images that can be edited and rehosted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm curious how Holbrook is going to keep them around when they literally live on a different planet than the other characters separated by several months' worth of space flight.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's borderline joke-explaining, and detracts from the absurdity of Lottie delivering a compliment in the form of an aggressive attack. Personally I think this is one of the more straightforward improvements when the GoComics version changes something from the original.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Haifisch posted:

I wouldn't timg it, imo. It's really annoying to have to click multiple images in a row to see them(to the point where a lot of people won't bother), and the forums automatically resize images to fit the tables anyway. :justpost: normally.

Should I do that? Normally I'd agree with you but the images I post are extremely vertical and much more difficult to ignore if I don't tag them.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

This one was a pun. Hitting something uses the same verb as quitting.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 3, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

After considering thread input Cheer Up Boss Dharma will now be presented without tags. Feel free to complain if this annoys you more than you were expecting.

In common spoken Korean "yes" and "huh" are the same word.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Founder's Day differs by company, since they were all founded at different times by different people. One of the easier holidays to forget, since it typically only affects the place where you work.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I remember someone posting some of the narrative era strips in one of the old threads and that I absolutely hated the protagonist and wondering why any of her friends put up with her. These early ones seem fine though.

That was me. Bechdel addresses this in one of the later ones with an in-character segment where the characters are contrasting whether they're better off being represented by obnoxious radical dykes that are true to life or more obviously sympathetic mainstream lesbians that are palatable to straights. This whole philosophical aspect of the strip dates it very weirdly, since by the time Dykes to Watch Out For was finished the latter argument had basically won, but as we're seeing today it's starting to feel like maybe they shouldn't have. I think part of why Bechdel trailed off and gave up writing it was because her characters didn't really have any purpose anymore, forced to live in a modern lgbt culture that was everything they had fought against. None of this context necessarily makes Dykes to Watch Out For any more readable, although it might help some of you get a better idea of where Bechdel was coming from.

On a less aesthetic note my Dykes to Watch Out For strips were very crudely collected from the Internet Archive off of now-defunct sites that used to host them, resulting in many obnoxiously large gaps in between comics. So if something happens that you don't remember seeing, there's a very good chance you never actually saw it in the first place. Kudos to Archyduchess for actually going with a proper distribution method this time. We all appreciate the effort.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Guy Fenix giving Taku a run for most obviously goony comic representative here.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

amigolupus posted:

Something I really appreciate about Modesty Blaise is her sense of caution. Sure, she and Willie have taken on great odds before, but they never just charge right in; they try and even out the odds first in very creative ways. We know Modesty can easily beat the Grim Jokers, but the tension comes from making sure the unconscious Willie doesn't get hurt.

I think at this point the tension is more about how she's going to prove that they're the Grim Jokers at all. Whatever plan they had before to get actionable evidence beyond their word alone is likely kaput now that Willy's out of action. Simply turning them against each other won't be satisfying, because even if the men are misogynist brutes it's been made fairly clear that whatshername is the one who's dragging the killings out instead of just finishing off the final target for their payday.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Was definitely not expecting this to go the "I guess in some nutty way I win" route before Willie and Modesty have barely even had a chance to do anything.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The phrase is actually persons connected across a thousand lifetimes but I figured destiny was more to the point.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It went out of its way to zing political correctness. I'm sincerely surprised it wasn't an edit. Dilbert and Pros and Cons have eaten poo poo in this thread for a lot less than that.

computer angel posted:

Zits debut in 1997, meaning 15 year old Jeremy was born in 1982. Wikipedia says Gen X began in the 1960s and ended somewhere from 1977 to 1984.

Zits is doing a really job making me dislike the meme now since the way Jeremy is using it is just as obnoxious as when boomers refer to literal children as millennials.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Speaking of which apparently the characters in Boss Dharma have been aging in real time. They didn't age in Chief Dharma- although they might have just been aging slower.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Resident Idiot posted:

For the few goons in this thread who don't read the Daily Cartoonist, I come to report that thread favourite Brother Rock has picked up a print deal:

http://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2020/01/16/brother-rock-comic-strip-gets-into-print-paper/

In Nashville. And Guy Gilchrist has been fired. Anyone know if the new artist is any good?

Wait, Gilchrist was just the artist? He wasn't writing it? Bad as Brother Rock was/is I wasn't attributing those issues to the artist.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

amigolupus posted:

It's interesting that from Willie's perspective, Prue attacked him because she got forced into doing it by the rear end in a top hat brothers. Unless the brothers tell him, he doesn't know that Prue really got into the thrill of killing others.

Also interesting that from the brothers' perspective Prue was becoming a liability entirely because she was extending the murder scheme for sentimental reasons unrelated to the actual long term goal. Their dickish behavior may have been amped up by the fear that they were pushing their luck, coupled with a desire to prevent Prue from having too much fun and talking them into doing another murder just for the hell of it. Ironically they succeed so wildly in this task that Prue not only backed down from enjoying the murders she decided to turn full snitch even though there wasn't anyone for her to rat them out to yet.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (June 25, 1988)

Another good Garfield that becomes even better if you take away his thought bubbles. I just love that look he gives you in the last panel.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I tried to using imgBB today since imgur was dying back when I translated these. Seems really good actually. Reasonably resizes giant images and everything I posted came back in a single easily copy-pasted box. Also the bbcode hotlinks to the original source. I'm not sure how useful that is but it seems like a much better site than imgur, what with its constant crashes and front page loading slowing everything down.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Well what do you know. I take a break and the next strip ends up having continuity.

The pun is less obvious in Korean but I'm surprised it translates this easily.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Is there any chance you could change your comic order to be Dick Docks Duck Rip Zip? I don't think your current order sufficiently conveys the silliness.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

amigolupus posted:

How do you even forget your own company? And buying a bunch of copyrights and just sitting on them is extremely lovely. Harmony Gold just did the same thing where they extended their stranglehold on Macross just so they could keep doing nothing with it.

I like how in Batiuk's fantasy of starting his own comic company the only solution he can think of to any problem is just having a really rich guy in the room being rich. He can't even pretend like success in the field has anything to do with talent.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hoover Dam posted:

Korean's an alphabet with separate letters just like the Latin alphabet, so if you figure no spaces and ' as its own character, English only needs four more for "semiconductorfactory" than "what'swithpeggy"

edit: while we're on language equivalents for Boss Dharma, anyone else see Peggy's speech tick as "like," instead of "gee," since that makes more sense in American English? Eg:
"Like, you don't know anything?"
"Like, 60% of infections come through the hands"

That's a reasonable approximation but part of the reason why I use gee is that it's also nonsense in Korean, referring to a kind of slang speech that no one uses anymore, and never at all in the real world as opposed to cyberspace. And yes, the original is actually even simpler than that. It's just conductor factory (well, making conductors, no reference to a factory) and I added semi because that word alone has multiple interpretations in English. These kinds of factories for major corporations are a cultural touchstone for South Korean culture because they're high class manufacturing jobs. We don't really make conductors in the United States, at least not on as wide a scale, so there was no real American equivalent I could use that would involve someone wearing elaborate equipment.

Sorry for people who miss my blog post style explanations for these weirder tics. Lately I just have trouble...um...remembering which things would seem weird to someone not familiar with South Korean culture.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hoover Dam posted:

Oh, cool, thanks! I [do not speak Korean] assumed "semiconductor factory" was used to imply "somewhere sterile that isn't medical." Looking forward to strips about Parasite's Oscar sweep.

It's a bit tangential to bring up here but Parasite's actually a really good example of the kind of translation I abhor, where specific references in other cultures are replaced with specific references in the target language. This leads to really misleading impressions like implying that anyone in South Korea has heard of Oxford. Ivy League would be better, since it's actually referenced frequently locally, but just changing it to a generic reference would have been preferable in my opinion if you're going to assume English speakers would be too stupid to know what a SKY school is or be able to guess what that means in context. Like I could have headed off this entire conversation by making it a chemistry reference instead but that's not the first thing that pops into Korean people's minds when they see a get-up like that.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 06, 1937)

Gawain may be an incompetent lout and an idiot but goodness is he ever an endearing wingman.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

People always accuse sports teams of doing this but given that the only specific names that come up are teams that have been on infamous losing streaks for decades I think it's really more a case of wishful thinking.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I can't decide whether the second situation is supposed to be what actually happened or just a visual representation of what Peggy told Chief Dashum.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Tis an era of clones.

Just gonna go ahead and remind people that imgbb is really good for uploading multiple images because you get all your links at once in the same box. No more duplicates, and no more jumping back and forth between screens to copy paste new links and inevitably make transcription errors.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

This one's great. It's not just a solid joke it also explains a lot about where Riley's worldview comes from. I love granddad's cool cucumber response to discovering the exact form of one of the unholy artifacts that's ruining his grandkids' heads.

ikanreed posted:

Also he was on the lolita express

That's not a fun fact.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I still remember when Allen had specified some other actual guy as the real-life inspiration for this character. I don't remember what his name was but I gotta wonder how he's interpreting everything that's happened to his character.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Well now I'm not sure whether this was actually an intentional tribute or whether Allen was just going along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma