Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

amigolupus posted:

Class solidarity is right. I remember Kell's brother kept attempting to murder her husband all the time and it's treated as a minor annoyance.

i'm not sure it even goes deep as that, literally just that "this is a named character, he exists, he cannot be allowed to be actually outside of understood orbits because holbrook doesn't really know how to change things significantly"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

PetraCore posted:

Who leaves mid-semester like this? She's already on the hook for the tuition.

Poochie, whose home planet needs him

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Does the Fastrack comic even have anything besides 'visual metaphor, character A explains metaphor to character B'? Maybe he can't figure out a way to do that setup long-distance.

He has the whole virtual-space avatars thing to do that, but much like a particularly oblivious dog, he cannot recall anything he's written down unless it's put directly in front of his face

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

All the incredibly good reasons that exist for why you wouldn't want somebody with zero experience or training in bartending or event booking to be your club's bartender and event booker and that's the one you come up with, Captain Caveman?

Don't worry Luann Dad, three acts later Baron Tuzenbach will be killed in a duel and she'll resign herself to work as a schoolteacher with a newly broken heart

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you.

I had to google this one and I'm still confused

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

yeah but

holbrook why

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

EasyEW posted:

which means you know what you have to do now.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I finally figured out what felt slightly off about mämmilä, everyone's faces and expressions are weirdly close to winkerbean. They have that same resting smug face.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

PetraCore posted:

Yeah I'm starting to remember why I forgot the end of the Great Unboxing. I see why he took it out of canon.

I still don't get it

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Zelda is dating itself here because this is definitely the sort of thing that would go to kickstarter nowadays before trusting any game company with the idea

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

He does have significant interactions with Justinian later on, which is a century later. But the authors do a pretty good job of fixing historic events to the 5th-7th century. The clothing, armor, and architecture of course is hell of anachronistic.

So it takes place in a 14th century idea of the 5th century

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

The most jarring thing about new Heart, to me, is how much like a standard-issue webcomic it looks. Other newer comics, even ones whose creators emerged from the deep morass of the internet, definitely look like they're more of the page than the post. Regardless of anything else that just makes it feel WEIRD. The future creeps up on us all.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

How Wonderful! posted:

I love the Bird Gang and would like to look at the wonderful faces of each and every one of them in this thread forever, so from now until I forget about this or every member of that blessed crew is spoken for, any Bird Gang avatar will be a freebie, no dupes on birds.

Buzzard's refined skepticism yet practical approach to life appeals to me greatly

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Tiggum posted:

You can go up to 180x180 now.

Oh poo poo I should fix this

There we are. Thanks to Johnny Walker.

e: right text. "Buzzard, who steals from dead bodies!" is probably good

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 8, 2020

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

I probably have time today to get rid of the backgrounds and clean up a little some of these for others, if anyone's interested. I'm no expert but I'm having a slow day and it's good practice.

This would be much appreciated, yes.

Also is THE GHOST WHO WALKS finally losing it? Is the ghost of the ghost who walks actually going to prod him on passing the spandex to Heloise?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Mikl posted:

Look at Val in the last panel. Look at him. Goddamn, the art is so expressive in this.

"Kill good... but what if kill... with money?"

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

20 years is also a lot. Infants then are adults now

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

That’s an incredible level of stacking mixed metaphors right there

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

MiracleFlare posted:

Apparently she was shipped off to Japan, because on a now-defunct site Greg made some commentary about Ann and it's... not great.

I will say, though, that I am pleasantly surprised that the writers aren't actually going down the road of Tiffany having to just accept being miserable for the sake of her father's happiness, nor going with him not believing her and disowning her over Ann.

Is it surprising? This is the quickest route to return to status quo, and Luann will always want to keep things as familiar as possible. Like how college is just middle school but sometimes you live on your own

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

The patter in ella cinders has really grown on me more than a narcoleptic farmer's grapevines at the back of the field.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

davidspackage posted:

The dog sidles up the bed, whispers "your grams never loved you" and trots out, clearly smiling

A dog that deserves the stew pot, surely

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

bernice may well be the single least likable character in all this thread and buddy that is saying something

it's because she's intensified stodginess. everything in luann already has this patina of bland and pointless and she's supposed to be "the boring one" in that context

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Alright, I need to swallow my pride and ask.

What on earth is the punchline in "born thirty years too soon" strips. The adults being too immature? The kids being overmature? Some "Oh the times, oh the customs" old man wailing that falls deaf on modern ears?

I can never see the joke in any of them, and I largely don't have that trouble with other Out Our Way strips.

In this case: Born thirty years before individually packaged foodstuffs that don't get cat hair on them.

Generally it's "this entire problem would be solved by basic household technology at the time of the strip's writing, but not at the time of the writer's childhood"

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

The subject of eye dialect is something that makes me really wonder about Out Our Way too. The "young suburban boy" eye-dialect is pretty much similar to a wide range of "standard" US-american registers as understood today, but it's very distinct from the "sister," "mother," and "father" ways of speaking that are just regular printed English without any alteration. It always makes me think that the boys are speaking like 20th century people and everyone else is enunciating really hard.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Samovar posted:

Norway pronounces 'Woo' as 'Wooeh'?

Google Translate's voicebox renders it as "wuuuuuuh"

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Things Team Evans knows nothing about :
-college
-jobs
-human interaction
-healthy relationship dynamics
-children
-college students
-cooking

(not an exhaustive list)

it's really baffling to a level where i have to wonder what their lives were like. what sort of creepy bubble-world persisted across two--maybe three--generations to produce this outlook on human behavior?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

PetraCore posted:

Ella's dad is a horrific coward who should get a divorce and bite the bullet on the 50% asset split. I understand he's an abuse victim but he also just ditched his kids with his abuser for years so my sympathy is startlingly low and it makes this drama painful.

Doomykins posted:

Yeah it's a really weird strip to read with modern sensibilities. "Oh no my wife who I hate is forcing herself into my life. Well, here's the divorce and the restraining order, if you bother my daughter you'll be in more hot water than the lobster who took a sauna tour."

"modern sensibilities" I think is the keyword here. This is a time when peoples' personal lives are still just deadass printed in local newspaper gossip columns, if he as a public figure got a divorce his studio would probably go under from moral outrage

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 11, 2020

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Much more believable that Mark Trail is a vlogger rather than an international man of nature-mystery at that age, all things considered

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ella Cinders

i even mentioned it a while back but what a loving time, when the newspaper could just print your address and nobody would be expected to shoot your windows or something

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

move over nancy and mark trail, Dear Master is now officially the most online of syndicated newspaper cartoonists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

El Spamo posted:

probably has some expando-magic dna sauce that'll grow extra compartments or some bullshit

The ship is cross-bred with a kangaroo