Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery follows a group of teenage sleuths as they investigate various (usually paranormal) mysteries in the town of Tackleford.

The quotes underneath are taken from the Bad Machinery website, which often provide additional insights and links back to earlier stories to provide context. In this case it was rather serendipitous.
Also, Perturbed Mildred is great av fodder, IMO.

That panel of Lottie is prime av material too.

And I recommend the linked Christmas story (and its follow up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I've always loved Calvin's eyes in that last panel.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Vargo posted:

Apologies to Johnny Walker, but I absolutely had to post today's Mark Trail.

He is absolutely making it a point to not use clip art in this. Look at that "I'm a very serious artist" cross-hatching. At that Picasso-rear end face. At the hosed proportions of the man landing in the third panel.

When James Allen is trying, he draws like a 14-year old. This is him really showing me what's what.

Isn't this just the end to The Great Outdoors?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

amigolupus posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm kind of weirded out that Willie pretty much killed the two here. I'm so used to Modesty and Willie always knocking out enemies that this one threw me for a loop. That, and Willie didn't really have a good reason to do this like avenging Prue or being mad at the Grim Jokers like Modesty was at the start.

This whole Grim Jokers arc has just felt icky and a cut below what Modesty is capable of.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That last panel of Modesty is fantastic.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

She means Erin right? I'm pretty I see both Winters sisters on that board, but I don't think Shelley has the constitution to write in blood.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Safety Dance posted:

Once again, archive.org has it covered.

Bad Machinery: The Great Unboxing

https://web.archive.org/web/20180913152216/http://scarygoround.com/?date=20180409

that's where the Unboxing starts, but the entire Wen-Tack saga starts here. There is at least one very slight spoiler for the end of the current story in the Great Unboxing btw.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

As The_Other points out they follow this case (well, technically this and Hard Yards), so if you could wait until then you're more than welcome to take over.

Hard Yards goes places man. I'm not sure I like all those places, but it goes there.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

EBB posted:

Is the time travel stuff canon or no? I liked the mystery kids.

It's never said it isn't as far as I know, but it is a little lame that Tim's adult daughter is responsible for almost every bad thing that ever happened to Shelley.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

readingatwork posted:

One of the best Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 31-Feb 1, 1987)

And lo, from this humble strip a billion dollars in bootleg merch sprung forth. That being said, I have always loved the joke of grooving to classical albums played at high speeds

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Mrs. Fothergill doesn't gently caress around.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Bloom County
March 10th & 11th, 1981

:france:

I choose to believe this is Steve Dallas's vagabond father.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

SubNat posted:

I know Holbrook operates on a different plane of logic to us mortals, but this is so dumb.
I'm not exactly familiar with 'draft' terminology (basketball?), but it seems to me like he wants to lose to have a better chance at drafting more talented people?

This is 100% a thing that happens in leagues with entry drafts. The thinking goes if you aren't in a position to win the title you might as well be real bad so you're in position to draft the best possible players.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

:sickos:

I've been waiting for this one, it's Mildred time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Calvin and Hobbes was a pretty good comic strip wasn't it?

The_Other posted:

Bad Machinery

Jack

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Goddamn I love The Far Side.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 25, 2022

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

How Wonderful! posted:

Wow, is that Gurihiru?

Looks like it is, thats a good get for a variant cover.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Bloop posted:

what the hell are you asking?

Both obviously look different from the current Bad Machinery

Both look different enough that it's hard for me to feel like that is the same character

It's Max Sarin on art, so Lottie by way of Giant Days.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Vargo posted:

Wallace

There's your gang tag.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Sluggo is Lit seagull is clearly the best.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Bloom County
May 11th & 12th, 1981

Is this the first appearance of Binkley?
And I mostly use the awful app to read the forums, so I totally missed that I got the seagull tag without even asking, thank-you benevolent mod!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Too soon thirty year old Far Side, too soon.

amigolupus posted:

This seems like a bit of a cop-out to the whole Jack/Mildred situation. At least let them date for a bit to see if they click together.

I think Jack is showing admirable self preservation instincts.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 25, 2022

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Professor Wayne posted:

The Far Side
“Ha ha ha, Biff. Guess what? After we go to the drugstore and the post office, I’m going to the vet’s to get tutored.”

Oh man, this one was a favorite in my family for years.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 25, 2022

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

OK, it looks like there was a strip missed from Gocomics' take on Bad Machinery that should have come before yesterday's, but I think it'll fit in fine here as context for today's. So without further ado...

Dang, would've been disappointed if I was following the strip on GoComics and we didn't get this one.

And Wicked Things is pretty good, although i think Lottie blundered into that frame job a little too easily.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Doomykins posted:

Is the arc where Shauna and Charlotte traded their friendship to a Pixie King still canon or did I miss it being posted in the thread?

Allison skipped over that story in the GoComics version of the strip. Probably due to an over abundance of Shelley Winters, and it seems he really wanted to limit the Tackleverse connections for GoComics. Which was a shame because there were some excellent moments for Sonny in there.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 29, 1938)

This owns so goddamn much. They got in a fight with another dude so they could keep fighting each other.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

amigolupus posted:

I'm still curious why John Allison struck this story from canon. I'm looking forward to the rest to hopefully figure out if there's something in it that made him think the story was bad or something.
There's maybe a couple things in the story we can talk about when we get to them that ,are a little ehhhhh, but nothing glaring from my perspective. Allison is a bit mercurial, and I guess his tastes changed between finishing the story and when he removed it. Maybe there wasn't enough Desmond Fishman?

What I can't remember is if this is before or after Hard Yards? I think after?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

All the next generation Mystery Teens are pretty great.

Also, I don't think any of the Wen-Tack stuff was ever published under the Bad Machinery name. They were either New Bobbins or Scary-Go-Round stories.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Transmodiar posted:

Scary Go Round: WEN-TACK

Hooray, Zebus has arrived, and Georgia too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Samovar posted:

A stupid meme which I feel is appropriate for this thread to whet people's appetite first:

Or really any merchandise at all, can you imagine how much bank Waterson would have made selling Hobbes dolls back in the day?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Transmodiar posted:

Fight pit sounds like something from Modesty Blaise so that some nice confluence.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rahonavis posted:

This is it. This is the one Far Side comic I never got and nobody I know could explain to me. Now unless it’s as simple as a pun on “Her heart is full of lies”, I still don’t get it.

I always figured it was something you'd say metaphorically about a person with a caustic personality, only in this case the old codger is being literal since, y'know, the vat of lye.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 28, 1998)

The infield fly rule isn't nearly as arcane and obscure as its reputation would have you believe.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Zereth posted:

Isn't there supposed to be a joke? :confused:

A "kumquat morality lobby" is a fairly absurd concept, and kumquat is a naturally funny word.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Yeah, the current storyline is the first real foray into politics (with a special guest in tomorrow's comic!) and Breathed comes back to it fairly consistently.

It winds up getting a little more out there, but early Bloom County is very much, uh following in Doonesbury's footsteps to put it nicely.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Transmodiar posted:

I love both these strips so very much.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Transmodiar posted:

:black101:
Zebus warrior child is one of my favorite out of left field developments

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (May 15-16, 1987)

This is a hard boiled masterpiece.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Transmodiar posted:

Zebus Dad being some sort of refuge from the Hyborean Age is quite possibly my favorite unexplained little detail in the entire Tackleverse. But let's not sleep on poor little Tom Grendel's :ohdear: face. Poor little fella, he thought he had friends and now they're ditching him for the movies. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Parahexavoctal posted:

I'll admit to being surprised that Larson expected his readers to be aware of the 1979 essay collection Broca's Brain, by Carl Sagan, which includes Sagan reminiscing about the time he found Paul Broca's preserved brain in a jar.

Larson was not afraid of getting extremely niche with his humor, but I guarantee you some professor cut that strip out and thumbtacked it to the cork board on her office door. I'm pretty sure my parents had a couple Far Side strips on their office doors, but after all this time I couldn't tell you which ones.