Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Happy new year everyone!

I normally post Prince Valiant, a long running low fantasy adventure strip by Hal Foster (currently produced by Mark Schultz and Thomas Yeates), which follows the travels and trials of the titular Prince of Thule. I would provide more of a summary, but with over eighty years of backstory, there's a lot to cover. Also, the strip only runs on Sundays, so I don't even have a current strip to share today.

I do have a non-current strip, however!

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 13, 1937)

I thought I'd try this on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays until I get tired of so doing. If you're interested in seeing more strips and sooner, Fantagraphics publishes excellent oversized, full color collections and you should go buy them all right away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Classic Cat

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 20, 1937)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Comics Kingdom has switched to a vertical format for some reason.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 27, 1937)

Following recent advice and not thumbnailing.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 6, 1937)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

TofuDiva posted:

These are such a treat to see! Thanks for posting them.

Archyduchess posted:

Yeah! The Hal Foster strips are always spoken of in such reverent tones but I never got around to reading them, so this has been great.

You're welcome! Sorry it's just three days a week, but I'm lazy. Originally you'd have had to wait a week between strips, of course.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Of course for the full effect you'd have to read them in 20"x14" newsprint.

Absolutely. I'll use this to remind everyone that Fantagraphics publishes lovely oversized collections and you should buy them all.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 13, 1937)

Here, in the fifth ever Valiant strip, we see the beginning of Val's habit of winding up naked.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 20, 1937)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 27, 1937)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EBB posted:

These are really amazing and special, thank you for posting them

I'm glad people are enjoying it :)

Kennel posted:

Had to read this twice:

The character isn't named Clint, at least!

Archyduchess posted:

Yeah the cleanness really reminds me of Achewood more than anything else. It's like ligne claire to the nth degree, I can't think of anything else of that period which looks quite like it.

You're right! I knew it reminded me of something visually.

Some years ago, I took a few blacksmithing classes at a local arts center for fun. The guy who ran the classes had a day job making custom stair railings and gates and stuff. He told us how a century or more ago, perfect straight lines and flat surfaces were popular because they required a lot of skill for a smith to make by hand, but nowadays wobbly lines and visible hammer marks are more popular because straight lines just look machine made. Barnaby's perfect lines and typeset text reminded me of that comment.

Professor Wayne posted:

My Dad is Dracula

🎉 WELCOME TO GUEST COMIC WEDNESDAY 🎉
Our premiere guest comic is by my wonderful wife, Julai Whipple! Shout out for her etsy shop, Checked Out Style, where she makes fashions inspired by vintage pulp and young adult book covers!

I like it! :3:

Some years ago this strip mentioned that Jeremy's parents went to Woodstock and I complained then that they seemed too young. I guess this is a retcon of that. Or Dad went despite being like nine years old I guess.

Endless Mike posted:

Star Wars is FAST AND FURIOUS

Thanks for posting this! I was never huge on Star Wars but I'm enjoying this a lot.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 03, 1937)

Cowslips Warren posted:

I do remember most of the cast but one of the best later strips was when one of the couple's kids went to camp, and his gay uncle worked there, and some kids began calling something gay, naturally meaning stupid and lame. The kid asked his uncle about this, and the uncle retorted that gay meant awesome, for example, his shirt, which was tight and form fitting and showed off his muscles; by comparison one of the other camp counselors likely wore the same shirt, stained and loose, because it was the only clean thing in his closet. Kid goes home and asks his moms to get him more tight fitting muscle shirts because "they're super gay."

I happened to have exactly one panel of DTWOF on my computer.

JethroMcB posted:

Every single day of this is two identical half-asleep faces looking at each other for three panels, and then one character "reacts" by raising their eyelids and having parenthesis shoot out of the sides of their head

It's easily one of the worst strips I've seen.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 10, 1937)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 17, 1937)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 24, 1937)

We're at the point where Foster starts to give up on just using regular-sized panels, so there may be some duplication between images like today as I don't want to spend a ton of time trying to edit the images together cleanly. I'll try make sure each panel is represented whole in at least one of the images, and will include any panels that I can't avoid cutting in half in an extra image when I can.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 01, 1937)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 08, 1937)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 15, 1937)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 22, 1937)

And here's that panel of Val falling off the horse since I couldn't avoid cutting it in half.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 29, 1937)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 5, 1937)

If you don't love this dragon then I don't know what to tell you.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 12, 1937)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 19, 1937)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 26, 1937)