Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Have a Fingerpori dump.

(Waterless urinals are a big thing in Finland these days, and they are often advertised with similar signs in pubs/cinemas/where ever they appear)

(In Finland there's a yearly campaign called "Christmas without presents", which seeks to move away from the materialism in Christmas by not buying useless junk, and also efforts to give presents to those who can't afford to buy any for themselves. Amusingly the phrase "Lahjaton joulu" can mean either "Christmas without presents", or "Christmas without talents". So hopefully this gets both meanings across?)

(In Finland every New Year old ladies write to the Letters to the editor section to complain about how the bangs and booms of New Year's Eve rockets bothers their dogs)

Bonus pissed off doge avatars:
White background:

Transparent:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I wanted to grab Tim as an avatar, but ended up going with Lottie after all, so here is a pair of Tims.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

1. You don’t defend a master’s thesis.
2. That’s 100% not how a doctoral dissertation defense works.
3. gently caress you holbrook

Like what the gently caress type of master's thesis is this supposed to be where you invite your "defense committee" over to see you securing a bunch of IoT devices at your own home? Your loving thesis/dissertation is supposed to be an independent academic work another academic can pick up and understand your thesis and its arguments based on the merits of that work, not having to pop round to yours to see you secure your IoT fridge and blender.

4b. gently caress YOU HOLBROOK

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 3, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

F-f-f-f-fingerpori!

(In Finland driver's licenses are divided into categories which allow you to drive different types of vehicles. The most common license is a class B license which basically allows you to drive normal civilian cars, most types of lorries etc, with limitations on weight, number of wheels, passenger/cargo capacity etc but there are many other classes as well. It can be a bit confusing.)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

amigolupus posted:

Der Shovel, I just want to say that I appreciate you tearing down all the ways Holbrook makes up completely inaccurate bullshit like what being a department head is about or his idea of a thesis defense taking place at home.

I don't know why it bugs me so much. Holbrook is loving 99% wrong about everything and his comics are bugshit crazy anyway, but for some reason his version of academia as this loving "here is my show and tell master's thesis dissertation please give me the 5 million dollars my position pays, dissertation committee" circus just drives me nuts.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

It's not a loving show and tell session or verbal exam, it's a loving master's thesis (even though Holbrook calls it a dissertation but you know, loving Holbrook).

For those not in academia (lucky you), a master's thesis is basically your first proper scientific publication*. It's not the academic version of Dragon's Den where you have to convince some loving "dissertation board" of your ability to secure IoT devices or program FPGA chips or whatever. It's a loving 20-100 page academic publication that explains the problem, explains the existing research on the topic to give it context, explains what you did, why you did it, what you think you accomplished by doing it, and what future avenues of research you identified in the process.

gently caress you Holbrook.

* not really because it's not peer reviewed, but your thesis supervisors kind of help you in writing a proper publication that COULD be peer reviewed and follows the guidelines and standards expected of academic works. It is supposed to demonstrate your ability and expertise in your chosen field, but more importantly your ability to conduct scientific research. A master's thesis isn't expected to have major scientific contributions, although of course it will have some original content. I wrote my master's thesis on applying traditional requirements engineering methods in game development and if someone really wants to read it I can send you a link to the PDF on my school's library page.

For content, Jäätävä Spede is Pertti Jarla's autobiographical comic strip that runs weekly alongside his Fingerpori. This time he discusses Finnish mentality.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 5, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Discendo Vox posted:

Uh, I had to defend my master's thesis before a committee. It's different at different programs.

But not in the Holbrook sense, I would imagine, because this is literally some show and tell science fair bullshit. "Dear disseration committee, I have secured my IoT fridge against cyber attacks, try to hack it or give master's degree please".

I know disseration defenses are a thing (and my thesis writing seminar included presentations and semi-public defenses as well), but to the best of my understanding they're mostly formality and tradition at this point, or part of the maturity test, to gauge how well you generally understand the topic. Even doctoral dissertation defenses are mostly tradition and theater at this point; your dissertation opponent or the Custos aren't going to fail you because they weren't wowed by your ability to secure your talking toaster or whatever the gently caress this bullshit is. The merits of your work have been evaluated already, and those merits are in the level of your scientific work.

E: I can't stop thinking about how and why this bothers me so much, so here I go again:

Holbrook's idea of a master's thesis seems to be that it's the equivalent of the final practical exam in some single course, where you have to hack a website or something, like he thinks the master's thesis for a Master of Archeology would be digging up a bone the committee buried in their backyard and if you can find it, you're a Master of Archeology. The point of a thesis defense isn't to prove you can dig a hole or install Apache2 on a web server because those things are academically meaningless; the point is for you to demonstrate you have a thorough understanding of your chosen field of science, the ability to conduct research in that field, and to place that research in the appropriate context. This isn't a degree from a vocational school or something.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 5, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Discendo Vox posted:

My thesis defense involved several hours of scrutiny. It was by no means theater - students in my department have failed the defense in the recent past. If my thesis had involved an external physical object as an example, it is indeed possible the committee would have examined it directly. Different departments do things differently. Holbrook's work is full of bullshit, but the basic idea of the defense procedure isn't a case of bullshit.

That's interesting. Without disclosing more personal information than you're comfortable with, can you say what field your degree is in, or what degree it is you got? I imagine there is a world of difference between, say, an MSc in computer science (which is what Guy seems to be getting) and a MoA in Modern Dance or Sculpting or something.

It is worth clarifying that my experience is specifically in the natural sciences.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

goatface posted:

Did he do brain surgery on these apparently sapient kitchen appliances, or did he secure them by telling them not to talk to Russians?

Knowing Holbrook's dumb bullshit he probably gave them a lecture inside the Virtual Internet School as his avatar, I dunno, "animatronic chess horse" or something.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Julet Esqu posted:

Naw, if they did Gunther would have to dump her for not being a virgin

It's me, the psych major who is going to be a therapist and can't say the word sex.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Wow, the freshest jokes of 1950 are back! I'd sarcastically say next he'll do a "women be shopping AM I RITE" joke but I'm pretty sure he's done like 10 of those in the past month alone.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell Why do we have to know it's a Tesla?

How else would Holbrook signal to the world that he is a hip and cool cat who is definitely with the times?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pastry of the Year posted:

re: "trust but verify" - I always thought it was intended to be a cynical proverb that boiled down to its inherent contradiction. You trust people to their faces and then quietly, privately verify their statement.

That's definitely how it reads to me as well, but I have a sneaking suspicion there's a bunch of people who genuinely think it's a sincere, honest and wise way of living.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens Yeah, plug that baby in the hole.

This is a comic strip where people can just add a couple of drops of ant DNA to a human and transform them into a loving ant man, and 3D print anything they can think of.

What the hell is the drama or tension here supposed to be?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Good Listener posted:

There's never any actual tension in these comics so I can only predict the baby will have crawled back out already by the time she returns as who knows what animal.

Nah she'll end up finding the secret origins of ... I dunno, whales on earth as time traveling beings from Jupiter or some dumb poo poo.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

(I know "detection" would be the more correct English word for a car that is automatically able to identify pedestrians moving around it, but in Finnish one of the words for detect and identify are the same)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze honestly surprised me with this one.

Check out the guy wearing one of those collared basketball jersey shirts. You know, the ones you see all over the place.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Manuel Calavera posted:

My favorite of the series. Not that I'm biased towards Lucasarts adventure games or anything.

Family Circus

Couldn't decide.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlW8KamiXAU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

J-Lo, what a timely reference for a couple of 9 year olds to make ITYOOL 2003.

Wait, it's WHAT year?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yessss, thank you for this!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens Let's hope this is the end. There's no way this is just a shapeshifted dodo, is there?

Oh don't worry, I'm sure it'll turn out that one of the kids is Leonardo Da Vinci from an alternate universe's future past, and he opens a wormhole to take the ship safely home while it turns out that rock is actually a planet egg and it'll go through the wormhole and end up in our universe's past and turn out to have been our Venus all along.

Oh and squirrels were originally Venus' blood or some poo poo.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zereth posted:

what do you mean "turn out"

although he's allegedly just the leo da vinci from their past, rather than an alternate timeline

Holbrook's Law: there is no idea so stupid or poorly conceived that Holbrook hasn't already thought of it, and used it in one of his terrible comics.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Here's a couple Fingerporis.

Also registering my interest for the bird tag.

(Murnau is a Finnish onomatopoetic word for a cat's trill)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Johnny Walker posted:

They really and truly are not.

Has Jam Esallen suffered a series of strokes or something?

E: I mean recently.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac should know by now that you can't tie down a banjo man!

e: for those new to the thread, I give you one of the greatest comic strips ever made:

I love Cul-de-sac so god drat much.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God damnit Bogor sucks.

E: Fingerpori.

I'm afraid this one is one of those Finnish language puns again.

"Kotikissa voi synnyttää omistajan huomaamatta" can either mean...
'A house cat can give birth without the owner noticing'

or

'A house cat can give birth to an owner unnoticed'

Bonus mound cat avatars:

Transparent
White BG

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 16, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Now Rusty looks like Rusty, sort of. What the hell is going on with MT?

What the gently caress there's no way this is the real comic. That guy in the first panel looks like lovely fanart of CTRL-ALT-DEL or that Sports and Jocks and Videogames piece of poo poo comic.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Parahexavoctal posted:

Low-hanging fruit, I know.

That’s nature’s pocket, you know!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bad Machinery was excellent, thanks for posting it Yvonmukluk. It became one of my very favourite comics during the run.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Alhazred posted:

The monkey paw curls:

(She does a lot of these kinda strips and I think it's really lazy)

Yeah that "you laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same" is so loving lame.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Samovar posted:

I always felt it was more like Seinfeld.

Counterpoint: Seinfeld is funny.

Fingerpori:

Bonus avatars:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

jfc Zelda is awful

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Unlucky7 posted:

Wait this is a comic and not a bad edit?

For a given value of "comic"... yes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Angular Cyrus posted:

King Aroo 11/6/53

That's cute :) Reminded me of this:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This is just the worst.

Transmodiar posted:

Is there a source you can pull from that isn't compressed to hell and back?

Oh god no, if anything go further the other way!

Ahh, that's better.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 28, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EBB posted:

zelda bad

It's literally "CHECKMATE, THEIST" the comic, except applied at ... I dunno, everyone who isn't the cartoonist?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bongo Bill posted:

If you're looking for the word for someone with a medical degree who manipulates the spine without surgery, the answer is "osteopathic physician" or "osteopath."

Osteopath Traveler was a good game.