Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Cannot stop laughing that VVG's CE thread got got because someone really wanted to see a dog Monty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Tbf, it IS Monty

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Where does one find this, because it sounds incredible.

Maybe rogue taprooms, i got it from a cookbook by someone who used to cook there. It's loving amazing. Use avocados that are slightly underripe so they still have a bit of firmness after frying when you bite into them.

https://www.craftbeer.com/recipes/beer-battered-fried-avocado-tacos-with-sriracha-curtido

Ingredients

Curtido

1/2 head green cabbage, shredded (about 4 cups)

1 small red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced

1 large carrot, grated

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup Sriracha

2 tsp dried Mexican oregano

2 tsp sugar

2 tsp fine sea salt

Beer-Battered Fried Avocados

2 cups strong amber ale (such as Arrogant Bastard Ale or Lagunitas Brown Shugga’)

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 Tbsp garlic powder

2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp fine sea salt

1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

2 cups panko bread crumbs

2 large, ripe Hass avocados

Extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil, for frying

8 or 16 small corn tortillas, warmed

Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish

Directions

Curtido

Boil about four cups of water. Put the cabbage, onion and carrot in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Pour in the boiling water and let stand for five minutes. Drain well.

In a small saucepan, combine the half cup water, vinegar, Sriracha, oregano, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat and stir to ensure that the sugar and salt have dissolved. Pour over the drained cabbage mixture and toss to combine.

Let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until ready to use. (This can be made up to one week in advance and gets better after sitting for a day or two.)

Fried Avocados

Put the amber ale, flour, garlic powder, baking powder, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk to combine. Prepare a deep fryer by filling it with oil to the manufacturer’s suggested fill level. (Alternatively, use a wide, deep cast-iron or other heavy pan with oil to a depth of 2-3 inches, but no more than halfway up the side of the pan.) Heat the oil to 375°F.

Spread the panko in a shallow baking dish. Cut the avocados in half, remove the pit, and scoop out the flesh, keeping it intact. Slice each half into four pieces.

Dunk the slices into the amber ale mixture, shake off any excess, and then roll each piece in the panko.

Carefully lower into the oil and fry until deep golden brown and crispy, 3-5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and immediately season lightly with salt and pepper.

Now assemble the tacos. I like to stack two tortillas per taco, but you’re welcome to use only one if that’s your preference. Either way, top with two hot avocado slices.

Using tongs, lift a big mound of the curtido from its pickling bath, give it a quick shake to ditch some of the liquid, and pile it atop the avocado. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Saving that one for later, it's even vegan for the friends that don't dig meat

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Current event: instant pots loving RULE.

Just did a two pound pork butt roast in 30 mins, came out looking like this:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I need to stop ordering food all the time and people and the internet have been telling me insta pots and things like this are cool easy and good. What and how do you use one cause that looks delicious

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

There's a lot of good recipes to follow online for Instant Pots, like Serious Eats.

Which reminds me, I should use mine sometime.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Slim Pickens posted:

it's even vegan

*Wink*

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I make leftover veggie soup like every other week in my pressure cooker. Throw some oil in, add chopped garlic, onion, carrot, and celery in, top with salt, brown everything, then add a few quarts of veggie broth, all the rest of whatever veggies you have in the fridge that are about to go off, a bit more salt and pepper + whatever spices and herbs you like, toss a cup of rice or barley in, close the lid, and hit the soup button. Half hour later you're in business with leftovers for 2-3 days. Add a can of full fat coconut milk if you want it to stick to your ribs a bit more.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Slim Pickens posted:

Saving that one for later, it's even vegan for the friends that don't dig meat

:same:

That looks good as hell.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Waroduce posted:

I need to stop ordering food all the time and people and the internet have been telling me insta pots and things like this are cool easy and good. What and how do you use one cause that looks delicious

I used a rub from Alton Brown and subbed in some coriander for a more sausage-y kick.

8 tablespoons light brown sugar
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
Caraway seeds for garnish

Turn the instant pot onto sautee and brown all sides of the roast, then deglaze the pot with a 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Put the roast onto a rack and pressure cook for 25 minutes, then depressurize for 5 more minutes.

Take the roast back out and let rest.

Turn the pot back onto sautee and reduce the fond and drippings until thickened, then turn it off and add a tablespoon of cold butter and wisk until nice and creamy.

BigDave fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 2, 2020

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I've got a slow cooker and an immersion circulator that I use occasionally, but honestly my workhorse for a while has been a simple cast iron skillet. The only real downside is coating my entire kitchen with a thin layer of aerosolized oil.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m on the cast-iron train too. Just did pancakes in it, but stir fry, eggs, quesadillas, chicken, and other stuff all goes into it at some point or another :)

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I would do unspeakably awful things to figure out how pho broth tastes as good as it does and to have a personal source of that. Instead I go to a pho restaurant nearby every two weeks or so and order something.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mlmp08 posted:

The occasional derail like cops, taxes, or the best type of taco filling.

Adobada.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I bought a giant camping cast iron skillet that covers about half my stove. It rules
Immersion cooker? Rules
Air Fryer? Best tater tots you gonna get.
Instant Pot? It's the tits.

Pretty sure everyone knows about him now, but Binging With Babish, besides doing tv and movie inspired food, also has a really accessible basics guide.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

bird food bathtub posted:

I would do unspeakably awful things to figure out how pho broth tastes as good as it does and to have a personal source of that. Instead I go to a pho restaurant nearby every two weeks or so and order something.

Make your own beef broth/stock. It’s that simple.

The rest is just chopped/sliced ingredients all thrown in a bowl.

If there is any secret, it’s hoisin sauce added to great stock.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

bulletsponge13 posted:

I bought a giant camping cast iron skillet that covers about half my stove. It rules
Immersion cooker? Rules
Air Fryer? Best tater tots you gonna get.
Instant Pot? It's the tits.

Pretty sure everyone knows about him now, but Binging With Babish, besides doing tv and movie inspired food, also has a really accessible basics guide.

Him and Chef John from Food Wishes are my culinary inspirations lately.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Eating this right now. Concur.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just watched Cats. Better than Star Wars. It’s actually watchable. CGI is pigshit though.

I don’t mind musicals and have seen live production of Cats twice.

The singing is worse than the original cast though. They changed up the rhythm and timing quite a bit. Rebel is a clown as usual just not a very funny clown.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Before y'all see it:

https://twitter.com/mooncult/status/1212549854016106496

https://twitter.com/DanteAtkins/status/1212562811261530112

k as you were

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

busing

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Thwomp posted:

Make your own beef broth/stock. It’s that simple.

The rest is just chopped/sliced ingredients all thrown in a bowl.

If there is any secret, it’s hoisin sauce added to great stock.

Engh. You also need to char your aromatics (garlic, ginger, onion), and good spices for a pho flavor (star anise, cinnamon, etc).

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I've got a slow cooker and an immersion circulator that I use occasionally, but honestly my workhorse for a while has been a simple cast iron skillet. The only real downside is coating my entire kitchen with a thin layer of aerosolized oil.

Yeah, 90% of my cooking is done in one of three things: Cast iron skillet, pressure cooker, or 6 cup saucepan.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Crakkerjakk posted:

Yeah, 90% of my cooking is done in one of three things: Cast iron skillet, pressure cooker, or 6 cup saucepan.

Yeah cast iron pan and cast iron dutch oven cover the vast majority of our cooking needs too. Stupid simple to cook with and with just a little care is always ready to do whatever I need it to.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Can't wait for some sweet political deepfakes to pop up this year, though with clips that editable maybe they'll just refine the technology more before unleashing it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, good thing he's just normal stupid instead of racist stupid.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Ongoing firefights happening in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico between police and cartels. The police apparently killed three sicarios yesterday and that set things off.

https://twitter.com/quefregados/status/1212555218510131206

https://twitter.com/CuellarSheriff/status/1212562087618236416

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

crazyivan45 posted:

Just got back to the hotel from the winter classic. Holy poo poo talk about a total loving clusterfuck of an event. 85,000 idiots stumbling around and acting like a brain dead herd, no semblance of any organization anywhere. Overheard a cop on the radio saying a person had collapsed and people were trying to resuscitate them, but that the crowd was so thick they couldn’t get a stretcher to him. Watched the ambulance try and turn into the Midway thing only to have to spend the next 10 minutes trying to back up. In short gently caress cotton bowl stadium

It looked like a bloody, but good game though.

:edit:
agreed, still waiting on the promised monty posts
II
V

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 2, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Milo and POTUS posted:

Cannot stop laughing that VVG's CE thread got got because someone really wanted to see a dog Monty

It was more about making Cole break his promise to post Monty on every page tbh

That said, I think Monty should be posted

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It was more about making Cole break his promise to post Monty on every page tbh

That said, I think Monty should be posted

I got a limited supply of new-old stock.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Blago: Still a piece of poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“Democrats would’ve impeached Lincoln” gets a “technically correct” rating so I can’t do anything but laugh.

Blago should’ve added something about Trump tower Chicago to really get on the fast track for a pardon.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

I thought he was still inside, did he get paroled?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

BigDave posted:

I thought he was still inside, did he get paroled?
He wrote a NEWSMAX article from prison, pretty much begging for a pardon.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Castro has suspended his campaign. A shame that he sat around for years refusing to take a shot at the Senate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

“Democrats would’ve impeached Lincoln” gets a “technically correct” rating so I can’t do anything but laugh.

Blago should’ve added something about Trump tower Chicago to really get on the fast track for a pardon.

Lincoln would've jailed current GOP members like McConnell, who would've effectively been a Southern Democrat.

I wonder if McConnell would've Seceded.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

Lincoln would've jailed current GOP members like McConnell, who would've effectively been a Southern Democrat.

I wonder if McConnell would've Seceded.

Part of me thinks that if he knew how many people in 50 states his ilk could gently caress over in the coming generations, he never would’ve been in favor of secession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjMPJVmXxV8